$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Live together, die alone
Send a message via Skype™ to Momo
Wii U ID: MomoShepard 3DS ID: MomoShepard/4897-7258-9301

View Posts: 6,556
Flying

I'm flying for the first time in 8 years. Kind of nerve wracking! Do you guys fly often?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 AM
interestingdrug interestingdrug is a male United Kingdom interestingdrug is offline
the one that you took
View Posts: 1,683
Re: Flying

I'm flying and leaving the country next week and I am giddy with excitement. But I don't want to get so excited that I become incontinent like last time. Plane toilets are disgusting. If my plane ever got hijacked I would frown a little bit probably.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Live together, die alone

This lightened my nerves lol
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Let's eat!
View Posts: 3,043

Never flew ever! Never will too!
I have a fear if something bad happens if I ride in a plane.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Live together, die alone

It makes me nervous but I don't mind it. Better than driving. :p
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 12:44 PM
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 22,045

I fly every couple of years or so, have done since I was little, so it's never scared me. Planes are easily the safest form of transportation known to humanity with driving being so much less safe that it's hard to show in numbers humans can comprehend.

Let's go with an example I read in the book Risk: The Science and Politics of Fear. In the year after 9/11 people stopped flying out of fear. If you look at the increased rates of traffic accidents during that year you find that even if a plane had been hijacked every day, in addition to the very rare occasional accident, the death toll would still be less than what was caused by the increase in drivers.

You're ludicrously more likely to die in a car crash on the way to the airport than you are on the flight itself, so if the drive there doesn't scare you the flight definitely shouldn't.

Public Key ID: 057420A1
4 people liked this post: AWJ, Breeze, Intrigue, Viajero de la Galaxia
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Live together, die alone

Safe in North Carolina! Fun times. It was a short flight...if only liquor lol.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Sharia for the UK Sharia for the UK is a male United States Sharia for the UK is offline
Hate my life, love myself
View Posts: 4,842

I don't have a fear of flying but I do get freaked out when I'm with someone driving every once in a while. I think that a car is too much responsibility for a normal person.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 01:01 PM
That butter is way out of tune.
Send a message via Skype™ to Zottie
Steam ID: thall1599
View Posts: 6,666

I've never flied, but I don't care. It isn't like I'll treat flying as though it's some exhilarating or nerve-wracking experience, though it is quite an achievement for mankind to travel over the Atlantic within an two or so hours. And I dunno how well I would do sleeping on one.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Hombre de Mundo
Steam ID: Hombre_de_Mundo

View Posts: 13,642

I'm gonna complain a lot now, but to be fair: flying is an amazing thing. I could not have met so many wonderful people haven't it been for a fast and relatively cheap way or traveling.

Flying is generally a pain in the ass... literally. I mean how uncomfortable can you make those seats? It's no biggie when you have shorter flights but the longer ones are just... ugh. Also, if you get stuck with a small kid or a fat guy, well have fun.

Airports suck too. Especially Heathrow.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 01:10 PM

There's some reason why every airport in the world is designed horribly. I don't know what it is, but it's apparently impossible to design sane ones. They're often laid out like mazes with winding, narrow, hallways and lack of proper signage or resting areas.

Though, mind you, the new layout of the L.B. Pearson airport in Toronto is very nice: Open, clear signs, almost no hallways, generally clear where to go next, etc. Nowhere near enough washrooms and the signs for them are roughly an inch square and hidden behind post-it notes, but nothing's perfect.

2 people liked this post: Breeze, Viajero de la Galaxia
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Willow-chan Willow-chan is a female United States Willow-chan is offline

View Posts: 3,628

I've never been on a plane. :/

- - -
The World is closed by the walls
The birds are the only creatures allowed to fly beyond the walls
The birds are known for delivering forgotten dreams

La fille qui a des ailes grises
- - -

Tumblr: personal | faith/inspirational
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Live together, die alone

I take my klonopin for the anxiety lol
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Princess Deity Princess Deity is a female United States Princess Deity is offline
Spicy Cherry Flavored
View Posts: 207

I've never been flying, I really shoud, but I think road trip are more fun!
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Rock Star Jerk Supremo
View Posts: 9,537

None of my in-laws are close to us at all. I refuse to drive for three days one way and three days back for a seven day trip. I can hardly sit on a plane for six hours. XD

That being said, I don't mind flying. I actually prefer longer flights to have a layover so I can get out, maybe have lunch, and then get back on the plane.

I normally fly out of a smaller airport here, rather than LAX because that place sucks. XD

But I get bored on planes. I prefer driving for four hours to flying for four hours. I can stop in the car, and the act of driving the car itself is something to do too. Maybe if the plane was basically my car with wings, then I might be more apt to flying.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
None of my in-laws are close to us at all. I refuse to drive for three days one way and three days back for a seven day trip. I can hardly sit on a plane for six hours. XD

That being said, I don't mind flying. I actually prefer longer flights to have a layover so I can get out, maybe have lunch, and then get back on the plane.

I normally fly out of a smaller airport here, rather than LAX because that place sucks. XD

But I get bored on planes. I prefer driving for four hours to flying for four hours. I can stop in the car, and the act of driving the car itself is something to do too. Maybe if the plane was basically my car with wings, then I might be more apt to flying.
What you need is one of those proposed (they even had prototypes made!) plane-cars from the...1950s, I think it was. It was a car that you'd drive to the airport and then attach specially-designed wings (with propellers) to and fly to your destination airport, at which point you'd take the wings off and drive the rest of the way.

1 person liked this post: Breeze
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Live together, die alone

This is my first vacation in yrs though so it's nice
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 03:48 PM
copyright lololol
Send a message via Skype™ to Tess
Steam ID: toastytessums Wii U ID: toastytessums

View Posts: 2,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Though, mind you, the new layout of the L.B. Pearson airport in Toronto is very nice: Open, clear signs, almost no hallways, generally clear where to go next, etc. Nowhere near enough washrooms and the signs for them are roughly an inch square and hidden behind post-it notes, but nothing's perfect.
This is very reassuring to hear (minus the bathroom part). I'm going to the Pearson airport on Friday and I'm scared because it's so damn huge. I'm going to be alone, too. Ahh nerves lol.

I don't fly often at all. I've flown twice before (well actually six times if you include all the connection flights) but never by myself. I went to Florida with a friend and her family in 2008 and again last year. Haha I remember freaking out every time because I was like "WHAT IF THE PLANE CRASHES WHAT DO I DO" but honestly planes are one of the safest forms of travel. It's also really cool to look out the window and see that you're above the clouds. Beautiful.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 04:12 PM
I swear that I don't have a gun
View Posts: 3,117

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I fly every couple of years or so, have done since I was little, so it's never scared me. Planes are easily the safest form of transportation known to humanity with driving being so much less safe that it's hard to show in numbers humans can comprehend.

Let's go with an example I read in the book Risk: The Science and Politics of Fear. In the year after 9/11 people stopped flying out of fear. If you look at the increased rates of traffic accidents during that year you find that even if a plane had been hijacked every day, in addition to the very rare occasional accident, the death toll would still be less than what was caused by the increase in drivers.

You're ludicrously more likely to die in a car crash on the way to the airport than you are on the flight itself, so if the drive there doesn't scare you the flight definitely shouldn't.
For me, if I'm going to die I want to be in control of the vehicle when it crashes. It's the feeling of helplessness that I hate when being in a plane. I drive a lot too, it's usually a 13 hour drive back home. Highways really aren't too bad if you're paying attention to every other driver on the road. It's taxing on the mind, yes, but you just have to be safe. Which I feel most people don't think about and that's where the danger in driving comes from.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
Steam ID: FlorinaBelmont 3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

View Posts: 22,497

Ive only flown like twice in my life. Last time was back in 1999. Its strange, but on the flight home each time, i got mildly air sick. I was fine on the flights to my destination, but always a bit woozy on the return. Weird.

I kinda like it but planes are a bit uncomfortable.

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite