Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 04:21 PM
PReSEnT DaY... PReSEnT TImE! HAhAHahAha!
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 21,285
Re: Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scentless Apprentice View Post
For me, if I'm going to die I want to be in control of the vehicle when it crashes. It's the feeling of helplessness that I hate when being in a plane. I drive a lot too, it's usually a 13 hour drive back home. Highways really aren't too bad if you're paying attention to every other driver on the road. It's taxing on the mind, yes, but you just have to be safe. Which I feel most people don't think about and that's where the danger in driving comes from.
Even if you're the best driver in the world driving on a road populated solely by equally-competent drivers, flying is orders of magnitude safer than driving.
"You must be, or you wouldn't have come here."

Public Key ID: 057420A1
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 04:41 PM
has no CR
Send a message via Skype™ to Intrigue
View Posts: 1,426

I love flying! Probably seen as a good thing for people like me who want to become pilots

I'm not mad keen on airlines, though - too many people, and as for the airports...there are no words x___X

But smaller aircraft? YESYESYES

Sig by insaney <3
BA Characters | Penguin Army
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 04:49 PM
I swear that I don't have a gun
View Posts: 3,089

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Even if you're the best driver in the world driving on a road populated solely by equally-competent drivers, flying is orders of magnitude safer than driving.
Doesn't matter to me. I'm not the one flying the plane. I want to be in control of my own trip.
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Battousai the Man Slayer
View Posts: 11,919

People can't fly.

Yeah, I'm going to San Diego next week.
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 08:42 PM
A pinky swear is forever
Send a message via Skype™ to Ahluk
View Posts: 6,589

When I was younger, I was terrified of flying, I hated it. Now, I just get scared a little. I pray when I enter a plane, right when we are about to take off.

The planes that land here aren't as BIG as the ones down states. It's like, 4 feet wide or something like that, usually a 19 seater

I do like flying now, I don't mind, it amazes me when pilots land here during winter

♥♥♥♥ing miracles
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Hylian
Send a message via AIM to Hood's Gate
View Posts: 663

I fly home about once a year or so. I'm pretty used to it. I always have trouble sleeping on flights, so I'm thankful for the airport bars.
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 10:08 PM
pissmas: the most golden time of year
Send a message via Skype™ to Brad
View Posts: 3,687

Flying has never really been an issue for me.
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Cloud Cuckoolander

View Posts: 1,658

I've spent a very respectable fraction of my life on airplanes. Even before my current job, I make round-trip flights about once every season (eight flights a year, not counting transfer flights). Currently, I make round-trip flights about once every two weeks (one flight a week) due to work arrangements. If it's any comfort to you, someone spending that much time in the air such as myself is still alive, so I think you'll largely be fine. ^_^;
Don't be confused by [Ysionris'] ^_^, or her ^_~. Behind that ever cheerful emoticon is a mind that has terrifyingly precise and specialized knowledge on everything from torture to the internal dynamics of Taiwanese politics. The ^_^ is just to lure you into a false sense of security so she can annihilate you in SD. No doubt, our resident evil genius.
Last Edited by Ysionris; 07-03-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzraelBlack View Post
When I went to Florida last year, my bass ended up in Chicago for 3 days lol.
Don't know where you went, but the Orlando airport is pretty bleh. I've heard the one in Tampa is great and the one in West Palm is nice too, but I just hate the Orlando airport. If it was Orlando, that may explain things.
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
my end destination was orlando international yeah haha

it was a shock to me to get off the plane and have everything in english and spanish
SO MANY LATINOS
I wasn't special no more haah
I've had friends get lost in that airport a few times haha But that's what you get when Disney and Universal are only 10 miles away. Fly to Miami, depending on where you are there is no English.

Like I said I generally avoid flying cause I prefer driving. This is also due to the fact that I don't like putting my guitars on the plane. Nasty depressurization. But if I get lucky and find a flight out of the smaller local airport in Sanford I can usually bring my guitar on the plane. In which case I may fly. It depends on my mood.
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 11:13 PM
But Vegeta, Trix are for kids
View Posts: 979

Well, I'm a commercial pilot, instrument rated, a flight instructor (CFII), and my current job is instructing at a flight school...so yeah, I spend a LOT of time flying. Hell, tomorrow I have to get up in the morning to go on a 3 hour cross country flight with one of my students. The last few months though I've been traveling back and forth from Ft. Lauderdale/West Palm Beach (whoever it was that mentioned West Palm Beach, yes it is a VERY nice airport, and smaller too) and Pittsburgh a lot. Even got stuck at Atlanta overnight when a flight got cancelled. I pretty much live in the air now.

I'm more comfortable in the left seat if a plane than I am in a car, and the same goes for being a passenger in each one. Oh, and to anyone who's a bit nervous of flying on an airline, take a ride in a smaller general aviation airplane (Cessna 172 sized aircraft) if you get a chance. It takes away a lot of fear and makes it flying on the airlines much more comfortable.
But never will

Wolf Pack Pride
2 people liked this post: Breeze, Intrigue
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Rock Star Jerk Supremo
View Posts: 9,359

Thanks for sharing your input! I think having a pilot in this thread is highly valuable.

#33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-04-2012, 01:17 AM
God's Gift From Below God's Gift From Below is a male United States God's Gift From Below is offline
It was lovely.
View Posts: 1,337

I love flying! Sure a lot can be desired from longer flights but it's still exciting, at least for me. One of my favorite things is when you're taking off or landing, and you go through clouds (that is if there is any). I just love seeing the clouds rush by, it's beautiful in a way.

The worst part about flying is the airport. Going through all of those lines and finding your gate, not the most pleasant things in the world. But the absolute worst is when your flight gets delayed to the point where 'patience' is not even logical term anymore. Delays ♥♥♥♥ing suuuuuuccck.
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-04-2012, 01:59 AM
The Comeback Kid
Send a message via AIM to Notsil Send a message via Skype™ to Notsil

View Posts: 13,353

I have absolutely no fear of flying; infact, I have a private pilot's license, so I best not be scared of flying!

However, I really get tired of airports. Its just soooo much effort and such a goddamn hassle these days. Between jacked up food prices, constantly changing FAA laws and never remembering to take off your belt; it sure is a pain in the ass to fly.

and those peanut bags get smaller and smaller every time.
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-04-2012, 02:02 AM
Rock Star Jerk Supremo
View Posts: 9,359

You can afford the peanuts?!

I haven't been on a plane that gives free peanuts in 3 years. @__@

#36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-04-2012, 02:03 AM
The Comeback Kid
Send a message via AIM to Notsil Send a message via Skype™ to Notsil

View Posts: 13,353

...you have to pay for them now?

@_@
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-04-2012, 06:52 AM
You failed. It's too late.
Send a message via Skype™ to Herman
View Posts: 1,176

Flying used to scare the hell out of me.
The first and only time I ever had taken flight is on the plane to England, which I'm going to go on later this year as well.

I'm also going to Poland for a school trip in 2 years, haha.

But I really love being on a plane. I feel that human can accomplish anything if they put their mind to it. Flying and scuba-diving are good examples: Man couldn't look or breathe underwater = Scuba diving. Man couldn't fly = Flight.

Anyway, I don't want to make this post too long, lol.
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-04-2012, 01:28 PM
~
Send a message via Skype™ to Nesi

View Posts: 17,199

I spent only... 2x2 hours on an airplane and I wouldn't mind flying more! I enjoyed it - I remember being super excited prior to the journey - and it was a breathtaking view and a really comfortable way of travelling. Flying has never really scared me, but I must acknowledge that I was quite young when this flying experience happened (12-ish), and I was quite brave and curious as a kid. xD

I admit that I have never flown a really long distance, so I haven't experienced jet lag or other inconvenient things. But I think such long flights are usually worth that trouble.

Ne szólj, ne sírj, e bonthatatlan
Börtönt ne lásd;
És én majd elvégzem magamban,
Hogy zsarnokságom megbocsásd.
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Live together, die alone
Send a message via Skype™ to Momo

View Posts: 6,438

Quote:
my end destination was orlando international yeah haha

it was a shock to me to get off the plane and have everything in english and spanish
SO MANY LATINOS
I wasn't special no more haah
MCO Latino signs? Go to Miami.

My Review of The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds for My Nintendo News

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolflinkrocks
Momo is da best, always will be, DON'T DENY IT. He's my idol!
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Boobs and Bossa Nova
View Posts: 4,296

My family populates various countries in North America, Europe, Africa, and the Islands, so I am very, very familiar with flying.

At one point in my life I freaking loved it. I mean, I could LIVE in an airport, but only if I got to take a plane somewhere. I was obsessed with planes, and felt left out when we were dropping off a relative who had come to visit at the airport. I just couldn't get enough of that aeroplane action.

Now, however, international flights are hell for me. First of all, I suffer from terrible motion sickness (don't get me on a boat. Not if you like what you're wearing and what you had for lunch). Planes move in a fashion that makes them seem suspended in air, which for some reason is just the worst thing ever for me and I get very, very nauseous.

Also, last time I took a flight from Paris, Fr to Dallas, Tx, some dude had some serious gas problems and kept farting up a violent storm on me, which made the bad circulation and nausea 1000x worse.

Also food sucks. Also I can't sleep and when I do my mouth hangs open and I snore at passerby's and possibly drool, and this is just not attractive behavior. Too bad it's involuntary.

The worst, though, is probably the jetlag that follows. Sleeping all day then waking up at 3 in the morning and waiting for day break, only to rinse and repeat sucks ASS.

So yeah planes flying suck the end

3DS Friend code: 1822-0897-4163