Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ

Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Kingslayer

View Posts: 28,233
Death: When do you think you're gonna go?

so make a bet with yourself, ZU, when do you think the reaper will be claiming you?

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if I met with an untimely death, as many greats in history have (Gandhi, Morrison, Lincoln, Bruce Lee, etc.) Hell, if I could look back I'd probably be happy that I became a martyr of a cause I believed in.

Alternatively I could see myself being like Castro or Dick Cheney and just defying death at every corner, ultimately living a long and happy life. Maybe I would retire out into the countryside.

What about you guys? You think you're gonna live 'till an old age and die of natural causes, or you gonna die in a plane crash or something?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2012, 11:37 PM
Anouki
View Posts: 35
Re: Death: When do you think you're gonna go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamzee View Post
so make a bet with yourself, ZU, when do you think the reaper will be claiming you?
Sooner than I would like.

In seriousness, looking at my gene pool nobody in the last three generations has died earlier than 80, but I'm prone for heart disease and diabetes. I'm fairly active, and while nutritionally I may not be the best, I'm by no means irresponsible, so hopefully we can keep those two evils at bay for as long as possible. It'll probably be cancer.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2012, 11:38 PM
The bullet was made of ice
Send a message via AIM to Caskett Send a message via Skype™ to Caskett
Wii U ID: LadySunshine9
View Posts: 1,591

Crazy notion, Gamzee. No idea really... I would love to live to old age because I know it would be fulfilling, but I am already living fast, si it makes me believe I will die young. Randomly, unexpectedly... kind of like me
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Resident Minister of Juices

View Posts: 15,479

I think I will live a long life and die in great health in my sleep.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Memento Mori
Send a message via Skype™ to Kol Gaines
View Posts: 975

I'd probably die sometime unexpected in an auto accident or something. I tend to drive a bit recklessly (if you call 15-30 mph over the limit, a "bit").

I'd love to say that I'd die protecting someone I lov, but I dunno, I'm not quite so fond of pain.

Preferably I'd like ya die at a ripe old age surrounded by loved ones or in my sleep. But let's face it, that ain't gunna happen for me, I'm not that lucky.
1 person liked this post: Caskett
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Battle routine, set! Execute!
View Posts: 4,653

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good."

Now that that's out of the way, it isn't something I enjoy thinking about at all. All of my relatives that I know of have made it into the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Living to be at least 70 would be very awesome, as long as my body is still relatively healthy.

It would suck to have some sort of meaningless untimely death, (you say you'd be fine with dying for a good cause, Gamzee, but here I'm referring to, say, choking to death on something). But even if that happened, it's not like I would be around to complain about it or experience embarrassment.

I have to admit though, this question automatically makes me think about ways I WOULD like to die. It's a lot harder to think about how I will actually die.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Steam ID: sikora002
View Posts: 6,528

Quote:
I plan to live forever. So far, so good.
Me too.

Both of my Grandmothers died in their Early/Late 90's. My parents are still around and probably will be for about another 30/40 years, so i think and hope that i will die a very very old man.

But golly all the new things we will see!
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Royal Hylian

View Posts: 946

At this point I have no reason to believe I'll go before old age takes me and even then judging by my grandparents it's going to be awhile. Just by the person I am I doubt I'll ever die for a 'cause' as it were.

With the stats for disease and such that you see though it's hard to say with certainty that I may not end up dying from a large variety of things. I can safely say that I only fear burning or being limited by something like being bedridden or losing my mind.
Last Edited by hobbitz; 06-25-2012 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Steam ID: sikora002
View Posts: 6,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarity View Post
I can safely say that I only fear burning or being limited by something like being bedridden or losing my mind.
I'd rather burn the death rather than being freezed to death in an utterly hopeless situation. The problem with being frozen to death is that you would suffer for much longer... right?

And if I find myself bedridden, all i can hope is that video games still exist in the future in the form of traditional controllers.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2012, 02:46 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Hombre de Mundo
Steam ID: Hombre_de_Mundo

View Posts: 13,629

Quote:
"I plan to live forever. So far, so good."
Well if you have enough money to freeze yourself that might just happen. We're just beginning to solve the riddle of aging. If you can survive the freezing you can be brought back in another hundred years or so and you'll be set for eternal life as far as aging is concerned.

Though you'll probably get sick of life before long and kill yourself. Just saying
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2012, 02:55 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Xeno

View Posts: 20,738

I strongly believe - actually it goes beyond a belief, it's more like an instinctive gut feeling - that I won't live past 40 years. There is no logic to this feeling nor can I come to any sort of conclusion. I cannot explain it. It isn't caused from negativity nor is it sub-conscious thoughts of suicide. It's simply a strong premonition. But I have never felt more instinctively sure of something than I have with this.
Last Edited by Xeno; 06-25-2012 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2012, 04:11 AM
That butter is way out of tune.
Send a message via Skype™ to Zottie
Steam ID: thall1599
View Posts: 6,606

My family relatives have problems with drugs and drinking, yet I have done no drugs and very little drinking in my life. However, this means I have a chance to become addicted as well, which could result in a shorter-than-planned lifespan. But I think I've done very well so far at maintaining a healthy lifestyle. And if I become attached to alcohol in a serious degree or drugs, then I'd like to think that I would stop at nothing to break those addictions, but I have no how the future will turn out.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say I'll die in my seventies, give or take. As long as civilization isn't crippled to how it was before the Industrial Revolution due to some catastrophic event, I think I'm fine. I'd feel willing to live for as long as I can make sense of things and have the ability to move around well enough. If I became delusional in my senile years, then I think it would be best if things ended there.
Last Edited by Zottie; 06-25-2012 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2012, 06:59 AM
Jiro
View Posts: 11,923

I have no idea. I don't think I'll live too long because of my father's family not living very long.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2012, 07:37 AM
likeicare
Steam ID: EternaLegendEL

View Posts: 17,601

Both my parent's sides of the family have an average life span well beyond the 100 years range, so ❤❤❤❤ I'm going to be around for a long time if that is the case. None of my family has any illnesses that has haunted the "tree" or anything, like cancer or heart disease etc.

But for some reason I have a feeling that I am going to die from an accident. I've brushed against death to the point where I've lost count due to some freak accidents, so it's only a matter of time now.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Knight of Skyloft
Steam ID: Spoot
View Posts: 869

I'm 25, have never been physically fit or very active, and have diabetes in my family. My paternal grandpa died from organ damage caused by diabetes at age 82, and given that he was an active guy, I don't see myself living that long unless I get fit and active, and stay such.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2012, 09:38 AM
<3
Wii U ID: Piratefreak07 3DS ID: 4639-9047-0446
View Posts: 1,129

My gene pool is great fun. I have no extended family on my mom's side. By this I mean aunts, uncles, etc. I have one aunt and uncle and they are immediate family. It's my mother's brother and sister, and it's all I have left. Everyone else has died of some kind of cancer or disease.

So let's see... Nobody lived past the age of 68, except my great grandma, who ate the same meal everyday...which may have been her secret to longegivity [sp?], but we'll never know, she's dead.

So me... Let's see... I have a 50/50 chance of inheriting an auto-immune disease such as Lupus, unless I secretly already have it, and it hasn't been noticed yet. I think I have a fairly good chance of getting diabetes, considering my eating habits and that I had the gestational diabetes when I was pregnant. Um, what else? Oh yeah, and maybe lung cancer, since I smoked for about 5 years of my life. Finally quit that habit, though.

So yeah, I'd say I have a fairly good chance of dying by any of those. And of non-health related things, I'd probably say I would die in a car accident. My Buick Lesabre, isn't exactly up to par, as far as tune ups go. Just yesterday dad took it out for a drive, and the front wheel literally fell off it, and rolled down the highway. Yeah, I'm deahtly afraid to drive this thing now, but it's our only good car til I can save up to buy something better.

TL;DR?

I'll probably die in my Buick in some freak car accident, or by some health related illness that is either genetic or caused by my lifestyle.

AC:NL Dream Addy: 5300-2537-8510
Last Edited by Kafei&Anju; 06-25-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Knight of Skyloft
Steam ID: Spoot
View Posts: 869

A local family, whose surname is on our public library and on the football stadium at the university in a nearby city (because of deceased older family members' contributions), recently all died in a private plane crash in the marshes of Florida, returning from an island or something. A man and a woman in their 40's, I believe, and their four children. One of the kids was in 6th grade with my sister last year. This family had everything going for them, from fame to influence (the wife/mother was, until her death, the head of the local school board, of whatever it's called).

Killer Queen's comments about a freak auto accident made me think of this. It's entirely possible that some of us will die from things completely unrelated to health conditions, inherited conditions, or occupational hazards. Health is really the only thing we have to use for predictions, though.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2012, 10:59 AM
"Dear Suzy..."
View Posts: 59

I honestly have no idea when I'm going to go, nor do I ever think about death much. There are no significant genetic health problems that I know of in my family. If there were problems, I'm not sure how scared I would be. I would be more frightened by Alzheimer's than I would by, say, a heart defect, to be honest.

I actually take comfort in the fact that, one day, I will be dead. I don't want to be living a life where I am old and unable to complete simple tasks. I would be miserable.

That being said, I'm not ready to go. I don't want to die until I feel like I've lived my life :3
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2012, 11:20 AM
"Once you go Inuit, you're always into it."
Send a message via Skype™ to Ahluk
View Posts: 7,112

I'm going to die young, I just.. feel like it'll happen sooner or later.

It sounds negative, but what the hell, I just think it's going to happen.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-25-2012, 12:00 PM
has no CR
Send a message via Skype™ to Intrigue
View Posts: 1,426

If I make it as an RAF pilot, then there probably will be a slightly increased chance of dying a bit younger than most, whether it's in a high speed plane crash, by being shot down, or just keeling over from the exhaustion when I retire (apparently pilots don't tend to live that long after they retire, especially if they go airline when their RAF days are over, as the lifestyle eventually takes its toll in physical and mental stress).

But actually...I don't really mind the idea of this. I'm not suicidal or anything - I like being alive, so I might as well stay like it for as long as I can - but there are reasons for not minding a slightly early death. One of these is that I don't want to be old. The idea of that is just depressing, being confined to the house, unable to do anything because of your frail body, just sitting and waiting for death to come. I'd be bored out of my mind, and depressed too. I know this is a bit of an exaggeration - quite a few old people are perfectly capable of all kinds of things - my grantparents only just gave up skiing, and they're in their 70s...but the idea of old age still doesn't appeal at all.

Another reason is that the idea of dying in a way I'll be remembered for does appeal. I have a huge respect for everyone who ever made the ultimate sacrifice, laying down their lives for the sake of others, and the concept of immortality through memories sounds much better than physically living forever, which would probably get really tedious. I'd rather be shot down saving my country than just passing away in my sleep, and it might make the loss a bit easier for friends and family knowing that I did something they can be proud of.

And finally, we once had a lecture by an ex-military guy who lost a foot during adventurous training, and it was actually pretty inspiring. He said something like: 'life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a perfectly preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body completely worn out and missing a few limbs, screaming "what a ride!"'.

So to sum it all up, everyone is going to die at some point, so you might as well have a good life before that happens. Being a pilot is what I want to do with my life, even if it means a reduced life expectancy - I might as well die doing what I love than live to regret not doing it.

Life should be measured in quality, not quantity :3

Sig by insaney <3
BA Characters | Penguin Army
Last Edited by Intrigue; 06-25-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote