Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-08-2012, 11:25 PM
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 22,146
Re: Individuality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interestingdrug View Post
I'm currently watching punk Britannia which seems fitting.

Individuality is difficult because I don't think that people want to be individuals. It feels empowering to say you're your own person, but really we're mostly more comfortable being part of something. Community provides security. With modern consumerism and a psychological dependence on materialism which has emerged, it is so much easier to buy your 'vintage NME' shirt and become alternative. Topman will make you cool and bluebanana (or wherever they shop) will make you scene.

It's kind of a postmodern thing. It's easier to construct your own identity, but this leads to an insecure type of homogeny where people are drawn together because of their fear. In that way I think individuality is a mask which people wear nowadays - it's easier but not used in the empowering way you'd think of. The increased capacity we have to be individuals is largely wasted by our need to conform to cultures.

With the way that society and the social actor works I sometimes wonder if 'individuality' is a complete myth.
Eh, I think it's fairer to say that people want to fit in with "their" group, but they also want their group to be very distinct from all others.

This means that people want individuality...on a group scale. Which is exceedingly odd, really.

What's more, everyone wants to stand out at least a little, and that makes sense. The person who's even slightly more memorable than others is much more likely to attract a mate. That said, someone who's too different will suffer for it.

So I suspect our brains are engaged in a war on two scales to both have ourselves stand out while still fitting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Individuality is an illusion that the mind creates to satisfy the ego. Much like most of existence.
Every aspect of yourself makes you who you are: Your DNA, scars, diseases, memories, and experiences. As such, even if you make a perfect copy of a person the copy will become unique the moment it is made, as its experiences will have to be different from the original's.

What's more: How do you explain people who have done things that others couldn't replicate for decades, if not longer? They could do it, no one else around them could, so how could they not be an individual?

If, then, some people are individuals then obviously individuality is at least partially not an illusion. Given my first point that would seem to imply that it is, in fact, real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
This mindset makes the assumption that a "true self" exists and is mentally recognizable or presentable.

which is sort of silly.
This I agree on, though.

Well, sort-of. Your "true self" is your brain. But that changes literally from instant to instant, and so who you "truly" are also changes that often.

That said, there are limits to how much your brain can change over a given period of time, so there is a base there that can be said to be who you truly are right now. It's a bit fuzzy, as it were, but it's still an outline that can be referenced.

But yeah, no eternal true self that exists somehow separate from your person.

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Having the knowledge that you're significantly different than anyone and everyone else will do nothing to benefit you. So you're different, now what? Are you going to base your personality around the fact that you now know that you're different? So you're the same as everybody else, who cares?
Diversity of individuals increases the strength of the species or group.

If everyone is identical then we react to problems in the same way, which means that the right disaster can destroy us all.

It's like that fungus that destroyed almost all of the world's bananas: Since all bananas are clones they all fought the fungus the same way and all failed, leading to total extinction of the most popular type.

Public Key ID: 057420A1
Last Edited by John; 06-08-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Breeze
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-09-2012, 12:52 AM

View Posts: 4,903

I feel a bit weird posting here, cause it seems like everyone has just about covered the question.

I was thinking though, what is individuality? Just the way you act and dress, and the music you listen to? I don't think it's really possible to be unlike everyone else in that way. But if you go deeper, down to what a person feels, their troubles, their life experiences, then were all different. Some people may have some of your problems, and their life may be similar, but it's not exactly like yours. Although we all face obstacles, and we all suffer some kind of discrimination, we all face our own problems everyday. And just because we may share similar problems, it's highly unlikely that th things we face everyday are exactly like another's.
"Your blue's ain't like my blue's, and why would they be?"

Sorry if this seemed a bit nonsense-ikle. My sister just walked in with her friends, and they're being a bit loud. It's a bit hard to concentrate with them in the background.
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-09-2012, 10:35 AM
so ridoclus
Send a message via Skype™ to Jordan
Steam ID: deafas♥♥♥♥
View Posts: 10,870

individuality to me is the inescapable manner in which we each do things. to me it never has been and never will be about what you think or what you do. it's about how you think or how you do. why you think and why you do. and everybody hows and whys all different. now of course, embracing that concept and consciously striving to be an individual is an entirely different matter, and something I can truly say I discourage, simply because once you start doing things for the sake of how they appear, you become my least favorite kind of person.
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Jiro
View Posts: 11,916

I just am who I am. I don't think about individuality, I don't care about being individual. I just think how I like to. I don't just do things for the sake of being unique, or any of that.
1 person liked this post: Coconut Water
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Wii U ID: Blizzaga

View Posts: 35,524

Indeed, there's a difference between trying to be yourself and trying to be different. Being different is actively striving for the opposites. While being yourself is a "whatever" approach. You like and do what you like and do, regardless if what it's what everyone else is doing or not doing.

???

#26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-09-2012, 12:27 PM
-
View Posts: 8,230

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post

Every aspect of yourself makes you who you are: Your DNA, scars, diseases, memories, and experiences. As such, even if you make a perfect copy of a person the copy will become unique the moment it is made, as its experiences will have to be different from the original's.

What's more: How do you explain people who have done things that others couldn't replicate for decades, if not longer? They could do it, no one else around them could, so how could they not be an individual?

If, then, some people are individuals then obviously individuality is at least partially not an illusion. Given my first point that would seem to imply that it is, in fact, real.

It would have been more skilful of me to say "the value of individuality is an illusion" or something more along those lines. It's just weird ego stuff. Individuality makes you feel important, that's the whole point of valuing it. Not only do you feel distinguished, but you know that other people look at you and think the same thing. Everyone wants to be different, or to find some way to create an interesting narrative out of themselves.

"I'm this, I'm that, I can do this, I'm blah blah blah."

We are the coalescence of our experience, and "individuality" to me has pride hidden somewhere inside of it. How can you be proud of who you are? It's not your doing. But I may be misinterpreting the whole individuality thing.

or some other semantical thing like that.
Last Edited by Alex; 06-09-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Boy
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-09-2012, 02:39 PM
por que esta es la rumba
View Posts: 2,296

Making a conscious effort to be different than other people for the sake of being different from other people seems a little funny and pointless
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Valhall Awaits
View Posts: 461

I'm a left handed ginger who can tan. Now that's unique!!

In all seriousness, I don't even think about it. I am who I am.
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-09-2012, 06:02 PM
do you really think this is a joke
Send a message via Skype™ to kezzer
View Posts: 1,295

I believe we're all pretty unique and special snowflakes. Actually is a pretty decent analogy because we're made of all the same parts and look similar from far away but look closer and everyone's different in their own subtle ways.
I've never seen being a totally unique individual as a good thing for myself. I don't wanna stick out because people think I'm weird or different, I just want to sort of blend. Yeah doesn't work so well usually.
I think we're all different from each other for sure and we can't help that if we try. It bothers me when people label me something that I feel like I'm not. Cliques irritate me to a point. It's nice to have a group of people you fit in with and not have to feel so different because you dress the same and do the same things but I don't think it's a good sort of mindset, to want to become a certain fashion style rather than just be a person and not care.
In my experience, I've felt like it's a lot more important to be exactly like everyone else and "normal" than be yourself and "weird". Bleh, everyone calls me weird and I still haven't figured out why exactly. I'm not consciously trying to act different nor the same from anyone else. I'm just trying to talk to people and act the way I always do.

The DJ in my head never stops playing...
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-09-2012, 06:53 PM
I hope your day is as nice as your butt.
Send a message via Skype™ to Scanty
Steam ID: thall1599
View Posts: 6,829

I admit, I've thought a lot and supported individuality lately. Maybe it's one of those typical things for young people to do, but I've hated how people tend to categorize themselves and other things into sections, such as how I should act and look a certain way from what someone else, or some other people may think of me. And I've hated how people tend to create judgmental assumptions towards people of different walks of life, that is, what ethnicity they are, or what their sexual orientation is. So, I've tried to affiliate myself under as few of those sections as I can.

Now, I'm not ignoring what other people think of me entirely. I think a good way to go at it is to judge criticism based on source and situation. For example, if I really liked a cartoon or a TV show, and someone else didn't or simply wished for me to not talk about it, I would respect him/her and modify my communication. The idea of individuality connects a lot with the quoted piece of advice, "Don't worry about what other people think." or "Just be yourself." While it's good to be your own person, since there is only one you in existence, it's also good to respect people and to not act rude and crude.

I like the idea of individuality, but I don't try to overuse it. I feel better feeling like I'm my own person, but I'm not preaching individuality throughout the streets. I think the point of it is feeling comfortable in your own skin and disregarding people who think you should act or look a different way. Of course, some people want to escape the pressure to act a way different than who they are inside and often struggle with this and think a lot about this, and I've shared similar experiences.

Personally, I anticipate going to uni more than anything. If it hasn't been apparent, my public life has felt oppressive, especially at home with a father who thinks similar to how people did in the 1950s. He is one of the most ignorant people I've ever met and he expects everyone to act and look a certain way. Seriously, I need to leave as soon as possible to can have a complete breath of fresh air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecora
Indeed, there's a difference between trying to be yourself and trying to be different. Being different is actively striving for the opposites. While being yourself is a "whatever" approach. You like and do what you like and do, regardless if what it's what everyone else is doing or not doing.
This. I'm in no way trying to act "different." I haven't felt right in my skin, like I'm not "me." But I would never try to act different for the sake of acting different. And something I believe is that everyone has their differences and similarities, so striving to act different seems a little unnecessary to me. But acting and appearing like how you feel inside is something I'm for.

Tags
nutella is unique