Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Ningan the Lone Ninja Ningan the Lone Ninja is a male United Kingdom Ningan the Lone Ninja is offline
Sheikah
View Posts: 5,551
Companies & Olympic Tickets

As the London 2012 Olympics are approaching, I have noticed a lot of companies from PG to Cadbury's trying to flog tickets to the Olympics. Now, although this doesn't bother me, I can't help finding problems with this.

For example, when tickets first came on sale back in April 2011, many members of the general public were left without tickets, and they were considered rare. Many have suggested that this is because many tickets have been given to politicians and their families, as well as other conspiracies, but I can't help thinking that this is because companies horded them so much that common people have no hope of getting one.

Also, I found that most of the companies flogging the tickets offer them as part of a competition, such as finding a golden ticket in a Dairy Milk bar, etc. Now, this does seem the fairest way to do this, as they are (presumably) distributed randomly yet equally around the country. But the problem occurs when somebody finds a ticket, and then wastes it.

For instance, somebody I knew found one of these tickets in a pack of teabags, and they had no interest in the Olympics at all, and chose to auction it on eBay or something. I guess there must be other people who do not care for the Olympics, and maybe toss the ticket away carelessly. So what happens then?

I personally think the whole idea of company purchase is unfair, and the general public should be given the opportunity to buy as many tickets as possible. Any leftover may been sold to companies, but I am someone who believes that the people should be put first. What do you guys think?
Last Edited by Ningan the Lone Ninja; 05-10-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2012, 08:22 PM
ʕ͡ᴥʔ
Send a message via Skype™ to Lly
View Posts: 5,796
Re: Companies & Olympic Tickets

I kind of agree: I wish companies wouldn't gobble them up, though I don't know if they've taken all THAT many.

do you happen to know if the ticket situation is the same for the Paralympics? because I was planning on going to those, but not if their prices are being way inflated.
Last Edited by Lly; 05-09-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Horror of the Deep
View Posts: 16,068

Isn't this just some stupid way of scalping tickets anyway? I mean, doing the whole Wonka "hiding tickets in X item" thing has got to net them massive sales. They're essentially selling those tickets in an incredibly unsavory way
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Ningan the Lone Ninja Ningan the Lone Ninja is a male United Kingdom Ningan the Lone Ninja is offline
Sheikah
View Posts: 5,551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lly View Post
do you happen to know if the ticket situation is the same for the Paralympics? because I was planning on going to those, but not if their prices are being way inflated.
For some reason, I never see adverts for Paralympic tickets, but I'm sure they'll arrive eventually.

Tags
2012, london, olympics