Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#141 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-13-2012, 09:29 AM
View Posts: 8,577
Arrow

tbh, I only cry thinking about one person in ZU and even that was actually hard to come by.

It was last night when I was praying for mercy that God would save us from the mean things people did, do and would do to us.... especially to that ZUer, since the person has been going through hardships at a young age (under 20 is young to me) more than I could ever imagine.

Else, it is as if tears don't exist for me.
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
MADLY IN CHOCOLATE ABOUT LOVE AND CHOCOLATES

And the life of this world is nothing BUT play and amusement.
1 person liked this post: Compassionate Sora
  #142 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-13-2012, 11:37 AM
If you're out here why do I miss you so much
Send a message via AIM to lefty Send a message via Skype™ to lefty
View Posts: 6,261
Re: Make me cry ZU

It's hard to make anyone in this thread actually cry. I mean, you "challenge accepted" people start reading a story or watching a video already knowing that ti is something sad. You brace for impact, so to speak. Also you're not hit with the full impact of the moment, because you're seeing it out of context.

For example one of the first poss was the Toy Story 3 ending or whatever. It was sad to that poster because they had watched the first two movies and most of the third, growing a bit attached to the characters. You watch for an hour and a half, or however long it is, hoping for something happy, to see a conclusion and you get hit with that emotional scene. it makes yuh sad, maybe even makes you cry. When you see the scene by itself you may recall past events and it can make you sad again, but to just show that one scene to someone looking for a cry challenge, it will not have the same emotional response.

Gumshoe: But 15 minutes later, you did a U-turn and came to pick me up!
Gumshoe: I knew you would never forget about me, Mr. Edgeworth!
Edgeworth: Y-Yes. Of course. (Those 15 minutes were just... an exception.)
Last Edited by lefty; 03-13-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
4 people liked this post: Compassionate Sora, Link the Zora, Loki Laufeyson, Luka
  #143 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Link the Zora Link the Zora is a male United States Link the Zora is offline
Trying to get a room in the Stock Pot Inn since 2000.

View Posts: 8,388

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
It's hard to make anyone in this thread actually cry. I mean, you "challenge accepted" people start reading a story or watching a video already knowing that ti is something sad. You brace for impact, so to speak. Also you're not hit with the full impact of the moment, because you're seeing it out of context.

For example one of the first poss was the Toy Story 3 ending or whatever. It was sad to that poster because they had watched the first two movies and most of the third, growing a bit attached to the characters. You watch for an hour and a half, or however long it is, hoping for something happy, to see a conclusion and you get hit with that emotional scene. it makes yuh sad, maybe even makes you cry. When you see the scene by itself you may recall past events and it can make you sad again, but to just show that one scene to someone looking for a cry challenge, it will not have the same emotional response.
I agree. Your brain already knows it'll be processing very sad things in this thread, so it prepares itself and the body for what you're about to see. This, in addition to it knowing that there's a good chance you're not in a private place to sob openly, makes it difficult for any tears to come out.

Since the brain won't let most of the veiwers (or Brett) to cry, all we and he can feel is depression for all the bad things we've read about.

Plus, there's that other bit where we've likely seen the images a bunch of times before (see: my Chernobyl doll pic), so the brain is used to the image. The initial horror upon seeing it isn't there anymore, especially if you've seen it over and over and over again.

Oh, and age as well. Not be macho or anything, but men are culturally taught to not sob in public as they get older. That Chernobyl photo may have had me bawling if I saw it (and understood the context behind it) when I was a tyke of about 7/8, but as a 23-year-old? Just "Damn, that really, really sucks..."

Wait, scratch that. It may not have made me bawl if I had seen it as a tyke, as people react to things like that differently. I likely would've gone upstairs and hugged my Woody doll tightly, while silently praying to God that we never, never have what happened to Chernobyl happen here.

Last Edited by Link the Zora; 03-13-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #144 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Think different.
View Posts: 7,733

Yeah I understand where you're coming from Lefty. You really need to get that emotional attachment to the characters, or movie, or whatever to really feel the impact on you.

For example, last night I was watching the movie Warrior (fantastic movie btw). To anyone who doesn't know the movie, the story focuses on two brothers: one a high school physics teacher who is in desperate need to support his family, and the other who is an ex US-Marine soldier who has a dark past. Their family has a hurtful past, with their recovering alcoholic father being at the center of it all. The father is trying to make things right with his son Tommy (Tom Hardy), yet Tommy doesn't give a ♥♥♥♥ and lets his emotions take over him and rages out on his father.

This scene right here really hit me hard last night and I flinched watching it:

- Mahatma Ghandi
Join me and like-minded ZU'ers in the Sport, Health, and Fitness Thread to create a support group to inspire and motivate others to reach their health, fitness, and wellness goals!
  #145 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-13-2012, 06:47 PM

But seriously... tell me: WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE SAD!?
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

#146 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Sage of Awesomeness Sage of Awesomeness is a female United States Sage of Awesomeness is offline
もう 一回
View Posts: 441

#147 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 PM
~ March of a Life ~
View Posts: 4,731

I'm sentimental...so yah .
  #148 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 PM
~ March of a Life ~
View Posts: 4,731

I'm sentimental...so yah .
  #149 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Battousai the Man Slayer
View Posts: 11,919

That comic would have made me a bit sadder had it not contained overused memes.
2 people liked this post: Dayman, Ningan the Lone Ninja
  #150 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Battousai the Man Slayer
View Posts: 11,919

#151 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-13-2012, 08:31 PM

You mean this one?

2 people liked this post: Compassionate Sora, Dayman
  #152 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Sage of Awesomeness Sage of Awesomeness is a female United States Sage of Awesomeness is offline
もう 一回
View Posts: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHungryHippo View Post
Yes, that's the one problem with it.
  #153 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 PM
vladith
Send a message via Skype™ to Valhelm
View Posts: 8,799

I apologize if this has already been posted, but this is definitely the most sad comic about a dog:

I love that so much. It's devastatingly sad, while still being quite optimistic and not at all depressing. Quite refreshing when compared to many other horrible stories on the internet.
  #154 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 PM
That Guy With a Face That Guy With a Face is a male Canada That Guy With a Face is offline
Mogma
View Posts: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Awesomeness View Post
I teared up, I thought of my dog who died about 2 years ago. My dog (Lucky) had been getting old (about 14 years for a fairly large dog), and was losing his back legs, and already was entirely deaf. He gained lumps, grew tired easily, yet still would play and run. He was an amazing dog, he always was obedient, brave and loyal, having even protected my little sister and dad from a viscous dog.
One day I came home from school and he was gone. My dad told me and my sister that he died. My dad had had to carry Lucky to the vet. He was dead. I couldn't really wrap my head around it at the time, but cried over the following days; and again today.
  #155 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 PM
Arrow

I am sad that I can't see what's posted in that post....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavros View Post
I apologize if this has already been posted, but this is definitely the most sad comic about a dog:

I love that so much. It's devastatingly sad, while still being quite optimistic and not at all depressing. Quite refreshing when compared to many other horrible stories on the internet.

#156 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-14-2012, 06:14 AM
heart of a lion
Send a message via Skype™ to Red
View Posts: 15,922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Joke posts like this are fine for now. However, do not let it get out of hand. If I see anything getting too personal, or if anybody gets legitimately upset from these posts I will start crushing skulls.
I know I said this, but forget it. Completely forget it,

I talked it over with my peers and we've decided that these kind of posts are simply not going to be allowed. They're hurtful and completely uncalled for. And this is a family website. So no more.

If I catch anybody insulting another member in this thread, joke post or not, I will be punishing them.

so uuhhh

back to posting, go~
Last Edited by Red; 03-14-2012 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Loki Laufeyson
  #157 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-14-2012, 07:03 AM

Reading Red's post, I am reminded that ZU is so sweet that I really shed tears of appreciation.

Like this D --> T^T

(for those who don't know it yet: that's a bow and arrow before the appreciation crying face, btw)

#158 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-15-2012, 03:15 AM
Think different.
View Posts: 7,733

Hey guys, I CRIED!

- Mahatma Ghandi
Join me and like-minded ZU'ers in the Sport, Health, and Fitness Thread to create a support group to inspire and motivate others to reach their health, fitness, and wellness goals!
  #159 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Ningan the Lone Ninja Ningan the Lone Ninja is a male United Kingdom Ningan the Lone Ninja is offline
Sheikah
View Posts: 5,379

This thread is the most wonderful thing on ZU. After watching the videos, reading the comics and the stories, you realise how much you should appreciate everything, from pets to parents to lovers, because nothing's there forever...
  #160 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Admiral Awesome Admiral Awesome is a male United States Admiral Awesome is offline
Show me ya moves!
View Posts: 2,059

I Love Living Life. I Am Happy. - YouTube

I love this guy.
Last Edited by Admiral Awesome; 04-21-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote