Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Am I the only person ____?
View Posts: 10,516
"Looksism"

I'm sure this will invite the supposedly "tough-love" advice to just "be more confident," but the reality is that women AND men face discrimination based on their appearance.

My firm belief is that people, as a rule, grossly underestimate the role biology has in our judgment of other people.

Men get most of the blame for being shallow and this is usually deserved. I freely confess to a bit of shallowness myself. It's hard to resist making snap judgments about people who are overweight and I rarely to never find myself attracted to heavier women (I know, I'm a pig).

But women aren't off the hook. For all the unfair discrimination they face based on their appearance and weight, they discriminate as well, but based on height.

I am a shorter guy (~5'6") so is this just sour grapes, right? Absolutely--it is hard not to be a little bitter, because height is something you have almost no control over. And the facts don't lie: women prefer tall men. The ideal height is 6 feet (well above the average). Tall men are more likely to have children and remarry a younger women later in life. In fewer than 1% of marriages is the woman taller than the man. And consider this damning article:

Quote:
Likewise, evolution may have led women to prefer taller men.

Women will take just about any shortcoming in a man, except in the height department, according to Andrea McGinty, who founded the San Diego-based dating service It's Just Lunch.

McGinty helped ABCNEWS put together an experiment to test just how willing women are to date shorter men. We brought together several short men and asked them to stand next to taller men. We invited groups of women to look at the men and choose a date.

To see if the women would go for short guys who were successful, ABCNEWS' Lynn Sherr created extraordinary rÚsumÚs for the shorter men. She told the women that the shorter men included a doctor, a best-selling author, a champion skier, a venture capitalist who'd made millions by the age of 25.

Nothing worked. The women always chose the tall men. Sherr asked whether there'd be anything she could say that would make the shortest of the men, who was 5 feet, irresistible. One of the women replied, "Maybe the only thing you could say is that the other four are murderers." Another backed her up, saying that had the taller men had a criminal record she might have been swayed to choose a shorter man. Another said she'd have considered the shorter men, if the taller men had been described as "child molesters."
The Ugly Truth About Beauty - ABC News

My personal experience is completely in line. I've done dating sites and women frequently list taller men as a preference. And though this obviously anecdotal and unscientific, I have observed beyond any doubt that the taller the woman who I send a message to, the less likely I am to get a response. In the rare event that I get a date with a "tall" (5'6" or higher) woman, it is almost inevitably more awkward and less enjoyable than my dates with shorter women. I have never kissed a woman of equal or greater height, always shorter.

Of course, the impact of "looksism" extends beyond the dating scene. Taller men are "perceived as more intelligent, more dominant and better leaders." Taller men tend to make considerably more money as well.

Can short guys make up the difference in other ways? Get this--according to my source--to be as sexually desirable as a 6 foot man who makes $62,500 a year, a 5'5" man would have to make . . . $237,500! (The dark irony, of course, is that a shorter man is much less likely to make that amount)

I do expect to get some more less hostile responses for this post. My experience is that people do not generally like considering the biological constraints on our behavior and opportunities. They might see it as fatalistic or deterministic. It might not jive with their worldview that personality is all that matters. They might not want to imagine themselves as being influenced by factors beyond their control, and psychologically, maybe that is for the best. Knowledge can be a genie in a bottle; knowing these facts, will I create self-fulfilling prophecies that limit my potential? Perhaps. However, I try to acknowledge and accept reality for what it is.

What is to be gained from this knowledge, aside from resentment toward my genetic endowment? Insight and sympathy, perhaps. As a short guy, I can relate on some level with the homely, overweight woman. Much as it is very hard for my male brain to find her attractive, it is hard for her female brain to find me attractive; counter-intuitive as it may seem, for her, a short guy "looks" like an overweight woman.

Maybe this is too cynical or heavy for GCC, but I guess I'm interested to see what people think.

Source for facts/statements: "Do Gentleman Really Prefer Blondes?" by Jena Pincott.

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
Last Edited by Bill; 01-24-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Boy
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 07:56 PM
destroy space lincoln
Send a message via AIM to forte Send a message via Skype™ to forte
View Posts: 14,423
Re: "Looksism"

what you say is undoubtedly true, but i think short men need to stop being butthurt over it. it sucks and it's unfair but that insecurity you have over something that's so insignificant doesn't help anything either, does it? sky's the limit, don't stunt yourself.

also, i'm a bit more worried about the way society in general views a short man more than women in terms of attraction.

Last Edited by forte; 01-23-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Notsil
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Crimson and Clover, over and over
View Posts: 4,259

Well for your short thing I honestly would suggest that you move to Utah. Girls there like guys your height. I was subject to the opposite of you in a relationship I had there. I'm just over 6 feet, and that was too tall. And I as a person when I look in the mirror find myself too short.

IT is so true that biological factors work towards our opinions and attractions to others. Men have it ezpecially hard, because women more or less are all beautiful or if not pretty at the least. Most men don't have the toned body, or the ideal height or even a good face and this hurts us with many people we wish to attract because humans are a judgemental species.

It reminds me of a graph I saw comparing males attractiveness to get a girl compaired to a females. Where males needed to be a nine or ten for the best chances a girl who is a three has aalmost as good a chance as a ten. Which goes to show our judgemental process as we rate people and their appearance on a scale.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
Hve­rungr
3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

View Posts: 22,424

Honey, when you are 5'9" yer gonna want someone about your same size. No offense, its just...the way i am. Im tall so i prefer taller blokes. But its not like i havent dated a short guy before. So yeah.

Also ladies really hate Napoleon Complex. (read: really pissed off short dudes.) Cuz like no one likes a jerk.

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
1 person liked this post: Armillary
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 08:01 PM
(Jehanne)

View Posts: 17,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus Snape View Post
(read: really pissed off short dudes.)

But a tall jerk comes off as being "cool," maybe?

1 person liked this post: Bill
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
that's so insignificant doesn't help anything either, does it
This will probably strike you as whiny, but the problem is that I don't think it is insignificant. I'd agree that dwelling on it is not helpful, but it can affect your life on so many levels.

An obvious one is sports. I played basketball growing up. It was fun and I was a pretty decent point guard. But my potential was always much lower than taller guys. I had to play harder and smarter just to compete. And when I did do well, the praise I got was always put in the context of my lack of height. "You do such a good job for how short you are."

When you're short, it is much harder to command a presence socially. This works against you on multiple levels. First, other people perceive you as less deserving of respect and attention. Then, this lesser treatment has a way of undermining your confidence.

No, it's not impossible to achieve success as a shorter man, but it is a hell of a lot harder in many aspects of life (socially, career wise, athletics, women). The odds are stacked against you.

Of course, I'm not claiming a unique disadvantage. Life is not fair. We all know that. There are plenty of disadvantaged groups (poverty, overweight, low IQ, abusive upbringing, minority status, disease etc.)

Quote:
Exactly! This is a perfect example of how being short colors people's perceptions of you. A tall jackass is just a jackass. A short jackass has a "Napolean complex."

Yes, obviously I have some bitterness. But I want to emphasize that the same unfair treatment/limitations apply to unattractive/overweight women. It really is a very similar situation.

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
Last Edited by Bill; 01-23-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
Hve­rungr
3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

View Posts: 22,424

Quote:
Douche bag tall guys suck too. Douche bags come in all shapes and sizes. I think the objective here is that not all ladies dig tall and not all ladies dig short. People do have a right to have tastes.

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
2 people liked this post: Armillary, Sophie
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 08:07 PM
destroy space lincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
This will probably strike you as whiny, but the problem is that I don't think it is insignificant. I'd agree that dwelling on it is not helpful, but it can affect your life on so many levels.

An obvious one is sports. I played basketball growing up. It was fun and I was a pretty decent point guard. But my potential was always much lower than taller guys. I had to play harder and smarter just to compete. And when I did do well, the praise I got was always put in the context of my lack of height. "You do such a good job for how short you are."

When you're short, it is much harder to command a presence socially. This works against you on multiple levels. First, other people perceive you as less deserving of respect and attention. Then, this lesser treatment has a way of undermining your confidence.

No, it's not impossible to achieve success as a shorter man, but it is a hell of a lot harder in many aspects of life (socially, career wise, athletics, women). The odds are stacked against you.

Of course, I'm not claiming a unique disadvantage. Life is not fair. We all know that. There are plenty of disadvantaged groups (poverty, overweight, low IQ, abusive upbringing, disease etc.j)
i suppose i wouldn't know anything about that.

trust me man. it has a LARGE impact, yes. a very large one. but it is only significant because you're making it significant. you have the power to command respect and make it insignificant. sure it's a little harder, maybe, but short guys can't be babies about it all the damn time.

1 person liked this post: Bill
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Douche bag tall guys suck too. Douche bags come in all shapes and sizes. I think the objective here is that not all ladies dig tall and not all ladies dig short. People do have a right to have tastes.
It's obviously true that all women don't prefer taller guys (just as there are men out there who do in fact prefer heavy women), but the way you phrase it makes it sound 50:50. It isn't. And unfortunately, even for a lot of those who claim that height is not an important factor, this preference may still operate subconsciously.

In our society, it is a taboo to judge people based on their physical characteristics, so we tend not to do it openly. But that doesn't mean those factors are not in play.

#10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Hombre de Mundo
Steam ID: Hombre_de_Mundo

View Posts: 13,634

I'm 174 (or 5'7 in retarded measure) which is... not short but still far from what most would consider tall.

Yeah, I've noticed girls usually go for the taller guys though in my case, I think most girls just generally don't like me for some reason, at least Swedish girls (so ♥♥♥♥'em, they're missing out)

Life isn't fair but you have to find your own style and get by with what you have. Everyone has something
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Live together, die alone
Send a message via Skype™ to Momo
Wii U ID: MomoShepard 3DS ID: MomoShepard/4897-7258-9301

View Posts: 6,548

I'm like 5'10 or so. I've never had an issue.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Jiro
View Posts: 11,925

This reminds me somewhat of this thread I made a year ago:
Vertically Challenged
Last Edited by Kikaider; 01-23-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Now I'm just a seasoned pervert...
Send a message via AIM to Kishin Send a message via Yahoo to Kishin
View Posts: 1,736

Lol I'm 5'7 with a great build and I'm handsome. I've dated ALL typesSkinny, large, tall, short and every ethnicity and combination in between. And speaking from experience it's weird when you kiss a woman who is a foot taller than you. And trust me that's not the most awkward thing either. Try making love to an amazon. (sorry for you tall girls no offense.)

It's just awkward, or when your cuddling your the one leaning on her shoulder because it's uncomfortable for you both the other way around. Studies and sciences can say whatever they want. I think it just boils down to, does it feel right for you. I mean lets base this off unofficial law of humanity "everyone is different." If that's true than those studies are full of crap to begin with. No matter how much logic you pour into it. It doesn't make sense if you agree with that law.

Oh and as for personal preferences I like slightly larger woman when it comes to body weight. ^__^ I like me woman that way more. Curves are a wonderful thing. Preferable shorter than I, but I've been known to date woman much taller than me as well.

Profile || Battle Arena || Pm

Random Quote- I've sometimes thought of marrying, and then I've thought again. (Noel Coward, 1956)
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 PM
No need to ask my name to figure out how cool I am.
View Posts: 4,803

I am a pretty tall woman (180 cm, so like 5'11) so I would like to date taller guys. However, I've realized that I can no longer be too picky with that sort thing (If I wish to find a decent guy) since I'm taller than most people I come across. I'm taller than my boyfriend and everything is coolbeans so far.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Jiro
View Posts: 11,925

As for this "Napoleon Complex", it doesn't exist. Jerks are jerks, and that's all they are. For all different reasons.

As for being shallow, due to my asexuality is hard to judge. I only think that someone is kind of shallow if they deny someone just because of one factor. Let's say, for example, alright, you've met this girl. She enjoys everything that you do, except she's a Red Socks fan and you are a Yankees fan. You now won't even give her a chance because of this one thing. That, in my opinion, is shallow.
Last Edited by Kikaider; 01-23-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 PM

^Very interesting that tall women face a dilemma too (as I said, fewer than 1% of marriages have the woman being taller than the man).

If my perception is similar to other men, it's not that we don't find tall women attractive; we do. However, we tend to prefer women shorter than us, maybe because we feel we have a better chance or don't want to be an "awkward" couple.

Luckily for taller women, I'm not of aware of any effect of their height on the career or social success. I think it's a non-factor.

[EDIT]

To clarify what I said before, I would definitely date a taller woman if the opportunity came up. But all things being equal, I'm usually more attracted to shorter women for the simple reason that, based on my experience, it is easier for me to imagine that turning out well.

Last Edited by Bill; 01-23-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 08:47 PM
destroy space lincoln

the only thing that would make a shorter girl more appealing to me than a taller girl is the simple fact that i feel like i have more of a shot with the shorter girl. if it weren't for that, i have no preference whatsoever because tall girls are beautiful too. i mean, man, those legs.

edit fuk u sawl

Last Edited by forte; 01-23-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
3 people liked this post: Bill, Jonah, notthatothername
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
the only thing that would make a shorter girl more appealing to me than a taller girl is the simple fact that i feel like i have more of a shot with the shorter girl. if it weren't for that, i have no preference whatsoever because tall girls are beautiful too. i mean, man, those legs.
Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to say. And yes, taller girls do have the legs going for them.

#19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Kingslayer

View Posts: 28,239

never really took into account height when it came to attractiveness to be honest. it's not like i wouldn't date a woman cause she's only four feet tall or shes seven feet tall.

i do prefer the taller ones though. around my height or slightly taller.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 09:39 PM
That Guy With a Face That Guy With a Face is a male Canada That Guy With a Face is offline
Mogma
View Posts: 155

People have certain tastes when it comes to attractions, they couldn't really force themselves to be attracted to someone. It would be shallow to hate someone for a certain physical feature, or to think that they're not as good as you. People have ideals and standards, and not all men like skinny women and not all women like tall guys. Let's call them shallow too then.