Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

View Poll Results: Do/Did you have school uniform?
Yes, daily 18 30.51%
Yes, on special occasions 1 1.69%
No 40 67.80%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 04:25 PM
~
Send a message via Skype™ to Nesi

View Posts: 17,266
School Uniforms

Well, we have a thread about kids, marriage, we might as well have one about education! School uniforms, to be exact.

I've realised that tomorrow I must wear my school uniforms, so I why not make a thread about it? After all, plenty of you have probably had school uniforms at one point, and if you haven't, you still must have an opinion about it. :>

I do have school uniforms in my school - they're actually the same in all high schools of Hungary, minus the little coat of arms thing that they sew on ties and whatnot - and we are required to wear them on special occasions: such as holidays, exams, graduation. It's a neat suit for boys and a silly male sailor uniform for girls that is probably based on the... British Navy? Yes, Europe is unoriginal and we copy Britain; well, not only Europe, but Japan as well.

This is my school uniform (ignore my hair, omg xDD)

It's very troublesome: really cold, difficult to wash and iron, so I'm certain I'd hate it if I had to deal with all these problems every day. Besides, I find it nice that we can express ourselves with our own unique clothing style on average days. Not to mention that we must wear skirts with that, and nowadays girls seem to dislike skirts. Personally, I love them, but I can't ignore the feelings of the rest.

In general, I'm not really against school uniforms. As long as it looks neat, normal and not humiliating to the pupils, I wouldn't even refuse to wear school uniforms every day. I think I'd prefer casual uniforms, though, because these supposed-to-be-formal ones are very hard to take care of. I kind of like the idea that a school uniform expresses that I do belong to this-and-this community, as I'm a very community-centered person. I've seen pretty cool school uniforms out there, for example in Germany, and they were to my liking - I don't think I would mind to wear them every day! Sure, school uniform has pros and cons as well, but it's hard to decide based on that, so I reckon, it all comes down to personal preference in the end.

So that's how I feel about school uniforms. What about you, guys?

Have you ever had to wear school uniforms? If so, did you love it or loathe it? If not, what are your feelings towards it? What have you seen in different countries perhaps?
If you were required to wear school uniforms, what kind of uniform would you refuse to wear, what would you like/accept to wear?
Do you think it's acceptable to have different uniforms for boys and girls, what kind of gender questions does it bring up?
Do you think school uniform is a cheaper or more expensive option in the end?
+ any other thoughts you have, share them, share them <3

Gooo~

Ne szólj, ne sírj, e bonthatatlan
Börtönt ne lásd;
És én majd elvégzem magamban,
Hogy zsarnokságom megbocsásd.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 04:28 PM
And then LLAMAS!
View Posts: 2,514
Re: School Uniforms

If people wear their pants below their waists, Pinkie Pie will advocate for the introduction of school uniforms. If people can keep their pants up, Pinkie Pie will not.

Either way, Pinkie Pie voted a daily yes.

But Pinkie Pie does not believe in a significant difference between the school uniforms of male and female students. They should be altered to fit either sex, but should remain the same design.
Last Edited by Pinkie Pie; 11-20-2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

View Posts: 21,705

Have you ever had to wear school uniforms? If so, did you love it or loathe it? If not, what are your feelings towards it? What have you seen in different countries perhaps?
No i never had school uniforms. Go public schoolings in America! Back in the day, i did have a problem with the idea of uniforms because i was so intent on expressing myself through what i wore. Nowadays, however, i see the pluses of having them. Plus the British school uniforms are freaking ace!

If you were required to wear school uniforms, what kind of uniform would you refuse to wear, what would you like/accept to wear?
If they had incorporated uniforms in my day, i would not have worn a short skirt.Too revealing. A knee length skirt would have done but i would also ask for the option of trousers. Skirts are mighty drafty after all. British style uniforms would have been ok.

Do you think it's acceptable to have different uniforms for boys and girls, what kind of gender questions does it bring up?
I personally dont have THAT much of an issue with it but i do think girls should have the option of trousers.

That i dont know. But given what so many people spend on outfits for school, it very well could be less expensive.
ef hann á sér í vá veru
hitki hann veit
hvat hann skal viđ kveđa
ef hans freista firar

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ You can still PM me for the clan test!
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Kingslayer
View Posts: 27,735

Uniforms are a horrible idea and should be done away with.

That said I was in JROTC for 3 and a half years, before I FINALLY got tired of all the bull♥♥♥♥. I wore a uniform, and it was pretty dumb looking.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Vinyl Scratch Vinyl Scratch is a male Antarctica Vinyl Scratch is offline
Send a message via Skype™ to Vinyl Scratch
View Posts: 781

Yes, I had one for two years in middle school, and it made the place even worse than it was before. They cared more that we wore the damn clothes than if we did our homework or not.
This is what we had-
6th grade- Green polo shirt
7th grade- White polo shirt
8th grade- Black polo shirt
All grades- Black jeans/Khaki or Black dress pants, all white or all black shoes, there cannot be a trace of red or blue anywhere upon your person, and a belt.

As little as this may seem, everyone still hates it. Oh, one thing- I had purple shoelaces, and they were not a violation of the dress code, but they still made me take them off, and go without shoelaces for a day. Little ♥♥♥♥ers. I'm glad I don't have to deal with them anymore.

At my high school, we can wear anything appropriate except a hat inside during school hours, but we can during lunch. Yet some administrator thinks that we shouldn't wear hats inside during lunch even though I got an OK from the vice principal, security guards, teachers, and principal. Good thing I have more than enough hats to last me the entire week even when they take them all.

PS3 Online ID: vinylscratchp0n3
3DS Friend Code: 5155 2916 9295, Pokémon X
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,320

Wow, school must suck in Antarctica.
2 people liked this post: Cornelius Fudge, Great White North
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Skyloftian
View Posts: 671

I had a school uniform. Basically just a blazer, shirt, tie and trousers. In the sixth form we got to wear our own suit, which was cool.

Wii Zelda .:. Skyward Sword .:. Zelda Skyward Sword
Zelda Images/Pictures .:. Zelda Forums .:. Zelda Sprites
Nintendo News
Looking for Staff members, please PM if interested
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Jiro
View Posts: 11,920

Yes everyday. Boring, uncomfortable work outfits.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Cornelius Fudge Cornelius Fudge is a male United States Cornelius Fudge is offline
Nine Tailed Jinchuuriki
View Posts: 3,152

I'm lucky I've never had School Uniforms since only 3 school in my district doesn't allow them. I do feel bad for the people who do have to wear them. I remember doing an assignment in 5th grade and it was a definite no for me.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Ummayyad, bro?
View Posts: 5,856

Nesi, you are so beautiful! ^-^
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 06:13 PM
gotta get back to wondaland
Send a message via Skype™ to Zottie
View Posts: 5,726

Public schools, baby. I've never worn any uniform in my life, but I find some of them stylish. Some uniforms can be formal, which I like. I've always wanted to wear something formal. I can see the point in having uniforms for school, which is a subliminal message that you are in school and you should study as hard as you can and obtain the best grades that you can get. It takes away individuality for a greater concentration of academics. But I like individuality, and I think everyone would agree with me on that.

I would prefer the suit and tie style uniforms. Some of the uniforms for boys that are in China and Japan look embarrassing.

I see no problem with different uniforms between boys and girls, though some other people would disagree with me. Personally, I think it just looks better.

Snape said something true about this. If you spend money on one outfit, you would have less need to buy other clothes, so in the long run, it can save money for you.
Last Edited by Zottie; 11-20-2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Nesi
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,022

yes and I am wearing it now. all schools take a few in Australia have uniforms but most of them are not fancy except the private school ones.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Feelz before realz
Send a message via Skype™ to Tabby
View Posts: 5,649

I had a boring as ♥♥♥♥ uniform at school. Everyone in the UK does.

Though we (girls) had a choice between trousers and skirts which was good. I hate wearing skirts.
Last Edited by Tabby; 11-20-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 07:33 PM
#mission from god brb
Send a message via Skype™ to Casanova
View Posts: 2,825

This thread just reminded me that I need to wash my uniform. Anyway, it depends. Freshmen and Sophomore students get gray skirts/pants and a navy blazer and Junior and Seniors get navy skirts/pants with gray blazer. It's annoying and very expensive, especially if you grow out of the blazer.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 07:53 PM
The World is Yours!!!
Send a message via Skype™ to Jimbob

View Posts: 5,012

Yep. In Britain (UK), we have/had to wear uniforms daily. It was part of school. Only time we didn't wear uniform was on special occasions, namely charity days and trips.

When i was in school/comp, my uniform consisted of black trousers, shoes, white/blue shirt and school tie. Any item missing or substituted for alternative (aka shoes for trainers) was punished with losing a break in the day.

Since i left, uniform changed. No longer required to wear ties or shirts, now it is polo t-shirts and/or a jumper. How are kids meant to learn to do ties up now??.

Facebook : Twitter
Formally known as Jimez
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 07:59 PM
My micro Mike Rowe crow's mic row, rows my micro Mike Rowe crow.

View Posts: 8,008

I wear the cloths I go to sleep with.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Custom User Title
View Posts: 10,609

School uniforms? I never had to use them and I'm glad I didn't, I simply hate the idea.

They were the only reason I didn't want a letter from Hogwarts when I was 11.

The school I went to most of my life was extremely free on clothing and accesories and all that ♥♥♥♥, even teachers used some "unacceptable" stuff every now and then. (There was this one that somehow always managed to lose bets, so he had a new crazy haircut like, every month.) I always loved that about that place...

I don't mind the actual uniforms, I could wear them, no problem, what I don't like is the idea of being forced to use them.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Cornelius Fudge Cornelius Fudge is a male United States Cornelius Fudge is offline
Nine Tailed Jinchuuriki
View Posts: 3,152

^ Got to agree. I think people should have the option, but shouldn't be forced. Well, unless people start abusing their individual rights.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 08:48 PM
thane of cawdor
View Posts: 641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Bawks View Post
I wear the cloths I go to sleep with.
you wear your school uniform to sleep? how uncomfortable!
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Twili
View Posts: 495

My school just made us wear white blouses/dress shirts with navy bottoms (skirts/pants), navy jumpers or jackets and black shoes. We also had an official tie, but our logo was so hideous that barely anyone wore it.

They weren't really fussed if we just wore items that weren't bought from the store we were meant to buy it from, as long as we were wearing the appropriate colours. Hell, my friend wore a navy jumper from her previous school and they let it slide. By the end of our final year there when we were doing all our exams, they gave up sending us home for wearing black or whatever, since everyone started to dress out of dress code.

Oh, and here's the crappy jersey all the senior kids in my grade got for $70:

Pardon the picture quality, they're like over five years old and I wouldn't know where to find the originals. Dx Basically, it was just a white jersey with light blue and navy stripes, a custom name and our year of graduation. I've seen a number of kids in their final year walk past me over the past few years, in awesome year 12 bomber jackets and they no doubt got their bang for their buck unlike us.

tl;dr My school sucked.
Last Edited by eeks; 11-20-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote

Tags
britain is awesome, education, school uniform