Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#61 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Segfault
View Posts: 1,814
Re: Food and Cooking

I like tiger cake. But I bet I would like Sheen-cake even more...
Although the term Sheen-cake sounds... dirty.
  #62 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Mogma
View Posts: 184

Buu, you remind me of that odd fictional character Yotsuba so much which reminded me of a friend of mine way back!

If your recipe calls for butter, try browning the butter in a pan first (and chill it) before adding it on the cake mixture for a more hazelnutty flavor. Just my two cents.

Looking forward for the picture of your next Tigerkaka.
  #63 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-29-2011, 03:15 PM
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Steam ID: xlakitu Wii U ID: Nicolini
View Posts: 2,496

Looking at all this would usually make my mouth full of water, luckily I'm not hungry. At all. I do wish I had the motivation to make dishes frequently...but I just don't.
  #64 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2011, 02:24 AM
It is difficult to be alive.
Send a message via Skype™ to Jodd
View Posts: 11,419

Last night I made chicken parmigiana.

I wasn't feeling much of a 'plant matter' vibe from the dish, so I chucked a whole mess of broccoli and capsicum in to the sauce. Then I made a breading out if rosemary, pepper, and almond flour, to keep it Paleo.

Then I slammed some bacon on that sum❤❤❤❤❤, because I love bacon. And a whole mess of cheese, because I love that ♥♥♥♥ too.

I made four total, thinking I'd have two for dinner and two for lunch tomorrow, but I ended up being hella full after one (and that was with killer munchies).

In comparison, one of my housemates boiled some plastic sausages and had them with a tin of baked beans and toast, and the other picked up a pizza. I felt like such a boss.

Though, Pani did make a pretty killer roast vegetable couscous, so props to her.
1 person liked this post: Panique
  #65 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2011, 02:28 AM
Magical Miracle Girl ★ Usami!
Steam ID: superpaniland Wii U ID: Panique

View Posts: 24,860

My dinner was nowhere near as fancy as his. It kicked ♥♥♥♥in' ass. I want him to make it again so I can take photos.
  #66 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2011, 04:42 AM
Mogma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolf Hitler View Post
Last night I made chicken parmigiana.

I wasn't feeling much of a 'plant matter' vibe from the dish, so I chucked a whole mess of broccoli and capsicum in to the sauce. Then I made a breading out if rosemary, pepper, and almond flour, to keep it Paleo.

Then I slammed some bacon on that sum❤❤❤❤❤, because I love bacon. And a whole mess of cheese, because I love that ♥♥♥♥ too.

I made four total, thinking I'd have two for dinner and two for lunch tomorrow, but I ended up being hella full after one (and that was with killer munchies).

In comparison, one of my housemates boiled some plastic sausages and had them with a tin of baked beans and toast, and the other picked up a pizza. I felt like such a boss.

Though, Pani did make a pretty killer roast vegetable couscous, so props to her.
Wow.. sounds delicious and it's obvious you had fun making it.
Take and post some pics next time before you gulp it all down.
  #67 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2011, 04:49 AM
ZUBC Podcast monkey
Send a message via Skype™ to Cpiddy
View Posts: 642

I have to recommend leek potato and onion soup, especially when it's really thick!
Leek, Onion and Potato Soup - Soups - Recipes - from Delia Online

I had some at my friend matts and I plan to make some for my family. It's very very tasty
  #68 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Mogma

Whew... Just want to share this to my new found community. Today is a special occasion and had a few peps to come over so I cooked for them as part of my blow out.
Chocolate Chip Cookies I made this morning, it's quite hard now after sitting in an open space for so long.
Last Edited by Spiderrain; 02-26-2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Big Macintosh, fionabee
  #69 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Sheikah
Steam ID: tiny_ekamon
View Posts: 537

I'm not much of a cook*, but I work at a restaurant and thought I'd share a recipe of one of our dishes that was published in a newspaper.

For anyone with a disposable income.

Tataki-style salmon sashimi in caper ponzu soy

Ingredients

Serves 4

600g fresh salmon, filleted
1 pinch of salt

Caper Ponzu soy (sauce):
90ml soy sauce
45ml light soy
90ml mirin
45ml sake
120ml kombu stock
90ml rice vinegar
15g sugar
15ml lemon juice
15g caper, finely chopped
Brown onion, thinly sliced

Recipe
* Combine all ingredients for the Caper Ponzu except for the capers, lemon juice and brown onion. Bring to the boil.
* Let sauce cool, then add capers and lemon juice
*Sear the salmon fillet on a chargrill plate or non-stick frying pan over a high heat for five seconds on each side, or until the flesh just turns opaque.
* Cool and slice fillet into 5mm thick pieces
* To serve, place salmon on a plate and pour the caper ponzu over the salmon
* Garnish with onion slices

Photo from our website.

I don't eat there too often, but this is one of my fave dishes, so I was super ecstatic to see they had a recipe floating around. I keep wanting to give this a try (it doesn't look too difficult), but the 600g of salmon is a bit daunting as far as price goes.

*I know that sounds worrying, but I'm just a waitress, not a chef.
Last Edited by eeks; 11-03-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Spiderrain
  #70 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2011, 11:25 AM
It is difficult to be alive.
Send a message via Skype™ to Jodd
View Posts: 11,419

Tonight's dinner: Roast kangaroo with pepper pumpkin and carrots.

Kangaroo is one of my favourite meats, and it's amazing in almost every way. It's 98% protein, has a great flavour, can be used in every way beef can, plus it's loads cheaper, and far better for the environment.

YOU SHOULD BE EATING KANGAROO RIGHT NOW.
  #71 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Addicted to Nutella
View Posts: 204

FINE DINING I tell ya I am the best cook ever!
Haha not really just heated up some stir-fry veggies and added them with some Cup-o-Noodles. Then added Soy sauce.

Edit: It tastes as bad as you think it does. x-x
Last Edited by Deku Kid; 11-04-2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #72 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Shinobi Popcorn Shinobi Popcorn is a female United States Shinobi Popcorn is offline
2 + 2 = 5
View Posts: 904

Quote:

Kangaroo is one of my favourite meats, and it's amazing in almost every way. It's 98% protein, has a great flavour, can be used in every way beef can, plus it's loads cheaper, and far better for the environment.

You... eat... kangaroo? I didn't even know there was a market for that! What does it taste the closest to? The most exotic meat I've ever eaten is duck, and that's not even that exotic.
  #73 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Super High School Level Video Game Message Board Poster
Send a message via AIM to Hoopy Frood
Steam ID: powerageshadow
View Posts: 6,862

Quote:

Kangaroo, eh? I imagine that's a largely local delicacy.

As far as cooking? I really enjoy cooking. I' m not some kind of high end chef, but I'm fairly competent in the kitchen.

Let's Play/Game Commentary |Twitter | Gaming Blog

Voted #1 Biggest Video Game Nerd Summer 2014
  #74 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Segfault

Quote:

Lies. No way is a chunk of meat going to be 98% protein! 2% fat ≠ 98% protein.

But umm, other than having magical protein properties, it's a nice meat. I've had it a couple of times, and whilst it might not make much sense importing it all the way from Australia (not very eco friendly), it was worth trying.

I'd also like to point out that Kangaroos are worse methane producers than cows, and are doing their fair share of warming up the earth...
  #75 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2011, 10:11 PM
View Posts: 12,150

That's one of the meats I've always wanted to try. Bear as well, and even though everyone always thinks I'm a monster for saying it I wouldn't mind trying cat and/or dog as well.
  #76 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2011, 10:57 PM

View Posts: 10,478

Kangaroo's not bad - it's not my favourite meat (that honour belongs to duck), but it certainly has its fine points. I find that it's best rare or medium-rare, otherwise it can be quite tough.
  #77 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Am I the only person ____?
View Posts: 10,602

Yesterday, I tried an experiment and the results have led me to consider eliminating breakfast from my diet, at least a couple of days a week.

Essentially, I had nothing but a plain cup of coffee for breakfast. The bottom line is that felt great--more alert, less sluggish. Moreover, I found that I was not hungry when lunch rolled around, so I continued my fast until dinner. Even then I was hardly starving.

At least with respect to what I perceived as superior mental functioning in a fasted state, there is a plausible biological mechanism: the hormone Ghrelin. Ghrelin levels rise when the stomach is empty and there is research showing that food deprived lab rats perform better on cognitive tests. This could be evolution's way of helping you find food when you most need it.

I've also heard, albeit from a TV news source (which I tend not to put much trust in) that eating breakfast does NOT tend to reduce caloric intake for the rest of the day.

While I'm not a fan of calorie counting in any sense (they matter on some level, but are the wrong factor to focus on in my opinion*), there is very interesting/compelling research that caloric restriction delays aging and is simply one of the best things you can do for your health. The key question is, can you lower your caloric intake while still meeting your nutritional needs and attaining satiety?

I say the answer is yes--you do it by eating "nutrient dense." I don't what the length of this post to get completely out of hand, but I might add some further thoughts on this later.

Back on the topic of food proper . . .

I want to try some kangaroo. I'm really interested in trying game meat, but it is expensive. I want to incorporate offal (organ meat) into my diet, but it's definitely an acquired taste (and harder to find). Bison is one of my favorite meats and I consider it a treat.

That said, with it being fall, I want to try to make something with pumpkin. I'm going to pick up a couple of cans from Trader Joe's tomorrow. I don't think I'll go for an all out pie, but I might try some kind of smoothie or soup. Any other thoughts or recommendations?

*One reason I don't like calorie counting:

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
Last Edited by Bill; 11-05-2011 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #78 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2011, 09:39 AM
View Posts: 12,150

If you're feeling sluggish after breakfast, then you aren't eating a good breakfast. It should be something light, but nutrient rich, like oatmeal. And depending if you're trying to lose/gain weight, eating more, smaller meals a day helps to speed up your metabolism.

Offals are disgusting, I hate them. But they shouldn't be hard to come by (save for things like sweetbreads). Liver and kidneys should be easy to find at any store with a butcher (which around here seems to be most grocery stores).

As for pumpkin it's great because it can be used for nearly anything. Much like apples it's great at bridging that gap between sweet and savory. It can easily be used for both in a variety of different ways. On the sweet side of course you have pie, then there also Pumkin cookies, cheesecake, and bread (actually pumkin bread can be sweet or savory). On the other hand you can also make pumkin seeds, roasted pumkin, pumpkin soup, you could probably even make a pumkin sauce.
Last Edited by Mattocks; 11-05-2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #79 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Segfault

Urk... if I go too long without eating (like, 10 hours or so), I end up looking like I'm starving (cheeks start to look a little too hollow).

As for exotic meats, ostrich is great. Doesn't taste much like a bird at all, and has nice and meaty ribs...

Liver-based foods are good.

I had blood pancakes for breakfast.
  #80 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Mogma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
As for exotic meats, ostrich is great. Doesn't taste much like a bird at all, and has nice and meaty ribs...
Why yes.. It tastes a lot like beef actually. It's hella expensive though.

- -

20 years of living and I'm very fortunate (or not) to experience other exotic meats.
-I have tried a monitor lizard, which tastes like chicken.
-A dog which tastes like beef and it warms your body up as if it's alcohol. (I'm not proud of this. )
-Alligator meat which tastes like fish but has the texture of beef.
- Deer meat is considered to be exotic from where I am. One of my faves. *thumbs up*
-Wild Boar meat... Ok this meat is hard to find from where I am but in other countries, it's a common street food (Thailand, Singapore).

Now, I'm in a dilemma up to this day if I already tasted cat meat because of the myth that a Chinese restaurant in the city where I grew up uses cat meat to fill their steamed meat buns.
Last Edited by Spiderrain; 11-05-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote