Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Avalanchemike Avalanchemike is a male The Byzantine Empire Avalanchemike is offline
patron saint of subtlety
Send a message via Skype™ to Avalanchemike
Steam ID: Avalanchemike Wii U ID: AvaMike

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Borealia
View Posts: 25,460
Who wants to be a mod?

No no, this is not Mike being his usual crazy self and doing some ♡♡♡♡ing crazy ♡♡♡♡ like making people mods just 'cause they said yes or some ♡♡♡♡. I'm just curious who *wants* to mod, like really. IN OTHER WORDS, POSTING HERE IS NOT GOING TO MAKE YOU CONSIDERED FOR BEING A MOD. Now, before you respond to this thread two rules: before arriving at a decision, read this whole post. Second I want more than just ME I DO CHOOSE ME, I ♡♡♡♡ing delete your post if you pull that ♡♡♡♡. I want to know WHY YOU should be a mod, what YOU have to offer before ANYONE else on this forum.

Aight, now that that is taken care of:

Being a mod is not easy. We are not above the rules. We may make the rules, but we need to abide by them, sometimes to a greater extent than members simply because we are mods and we need to lead by example.

We have to deal with ❤❤❤❤❤y members every day. Nearly every time you make a decision you'll likely upset someone. Most people don't take kindly to you telling them they're wrong or they've broken a rule. A lot of people will try to argue, some will try to demean you, and some will hold grudges right across the board.

Remember that lead by example thing from above? Yeah, that's sorta for everywhere. It's taxing. It takes a toll. Have you ever tried to make a good post about bubblegum? Or about pen tapping? Yeah, it's not most fun thing. Sometimes it's not so bad with a thread when you've got something a bit more interesting like Losing Interest in Gaming but for every thread that is interesting there are three threads similar to Cat Yodelling. -___-

Moreover, there's the mod forum. Think that's fun? Most of the time it's not. People argue, people ❤❤❤❤❤, people cockblock people trying to change things. Yeah, we can have a lot of fun back there but when ♡♡♡♡'s bad, it's ♡♡♡♡ing bad. Worse than out here because we usually don't have people watching us, modding us.

So yeah, while we get a few privilieges (we can see the clans, we don't get infractions (which doesn't mean we don't get in trouble, we've got a bit more to lose than you guys )) but there's also a lot of work that goes with it.

Right, now that you have a tiny idea of what it can be like to be a mod (because you WON'T know until you've lived it) we can move onto the important part.

If you were offered modship for the board of your choice, would you accept it? Why? What makes you a better choice than others? How would you run things?
__________________


"It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong"
- G. K. Chesterton

Last Edited by Avalanchemike; 06-24-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
4 people liked this post: Breeze, Kikaider, Moriquendi, Snow_Storm
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Midna Fan Midna Fan is a male United States Midna Fan is offline
Light Spirit
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fayru
View Posts: 4,001
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

If I was offered modship would I accept it? No, probably not. I'm not active enough to do as good a job as one might expect from a mod.

A better choice than others? I would have to say the only reason I have for that is I'm an admin for my COD4 (PC, thank you) clan, so I already know for the most part how to deal with what I would be dealing with if I was a mod here.

How would I run things? I'd generally be laid-back about most things, as long as it didn't look like it was close to getting out of hand. I'd of course try to be fair to everyone and to do what's right and all that, though I expect that kind of goes with what's expected of a mod.
__________________
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him, shall not perish, but have everlasting life.
The food stamp program, part of the Department of Agriculture, is pleased to be distributing the greatest amount of food stamps ever.

Meanwhile, the Park Service, also part of the Department of Agriculture, asks us, "please do not feed the animals" because, “the animals may grow dependent and not learn to take care of themselves.”

Go figure.

~Nayru Awards!~
Most Mature
Most Like Lando

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 12:53 PM
HaloCod27 HaloCod27 is offline
Anouki
Join Date: May 2011
View Posts: 53
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

I would most likely become a mod of this forum.

I am in fact already a mod in the Pixar forums (Pixar Planet - celebrating all things Pixar! Join the world famous forums, download the podcast, and join the growing fandom of Up, Wall-E, Ratatouille, Cars, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., A Bug's Life and Toy Story. We're your number), so I already have some experience and know pretty much what to do.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Abyss Master Abyss Master is a male Norway Abyss Master is offline
CONSTANT VIGILANCE
Send a message via AIM to Abyss Master Send a message via Skype™ to Abyss Master
Steam ID: AbyssMaster91 Wii U ID: TomOlav
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hell if I know
View Posts: 4,970
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

Assuming this is just in good fun and I won't be hit with an offer for moderation-ship later, I'll divulge my thoughts on the matter.

I've been a moderator over at LoZ.com for over three years, and as is natural with being in such a position for such a long time, I've learned quite a bit about how it is to oversee activity and treat members. As a moderator we were held to higher standards in how to behave, both within our own community and outside (like, say, here at ZU). We were blessed with members that for the most part knew how to behave themselves, but we did get our share of members that didn't really know the rules (and the occasional spambot). I learned quickly that how you handle a matter makes all the difference in the world, even if it's something as trivial as locking a thread because it's spammy.

It was a matter of overviewing activity, dealing with all the members, deciding on how to handle situations (should I lock this thread right away or put up a warning first?) and most importantly keeping ourselves in check while doing all of the above. We strove to be as professional and formal as we could be.

It was also a matter of being able to work with other mods. Our staff is quite tightly knit and so I reckon it'd be difficult for a new and not very well-known member to join staff, unless it was for something like creating content for our main site.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 01:17 PM
~*I<3NickJonas4eva!*~ ~*I<3NickJonas4eva!*~ is a male Chile ~*I<3NickJonas4eva!*~ is offline
Never bet for Ridley.
Steam ID: Khao84 Wii U ID: KhaoMortadios 3DS ID: 1075-0789-4675
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: A shame-filled place.
View Posts: 11,625
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

I'm mostly always active and I'd think I know the rules quite well enough, I read once in a while out of boredom (long whiles, but meh.) and I have gotten one infraction in my entire life, and it was a "small" one.

I think I'd do a decent job for moderating, but....

I like fun.

I don't like making other people upset.

I don't like dealing with ❤❤❤❤❤y members.

So I guess no, I don't want to be a mod.

But I still think I wouldn't instantly say no to such an offer.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 01:18 PM
BigGoronSword BigGoronSword is a male Dominican Republic BigGoronSword is offline
RIP Robin Williams (8/11/14)
Send a message via AIM to BigGoronSword Send a message via Yahoo to BigGoronSword


Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Boston
View Posts: 11,257
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

If you were offered modship for the board of your choice, would you accept it?
-Well considering I was a Super Mod on ZU for awhile I would say....maybe, but not right now (unless ZU desperately needed my help). If anything, I'd like my presence to be well known again before I take up the task of being a mod again.

Why?
-My problem was in the end I was falling behind on mod duties and just being active on the forums. As always you should always put your regular (social, academic, family, etc...) life before ZU (you don't want to slip up). A lot of things were going on in my life at the time that ZU didn't become a priority.

What makes you a better choice than others?
-I already have the experience. I've dealt with all the bickering and whatnot from members.

How would you run things?
-I'd run it the same way I did "in my prime", but maybe with a little less gusto to be very honest. I loved being a mod (I made it time consuming, that's how enthusiastic I was), but if I was going to return being a Super Mod again, I'd be active, but to a respectable degree because now I know how to balance my time management (especially online) now.

-BGS
__________________
[Signature & Avatar Created By Lioness & BlueBubble-L]

[ZeldaWiki][Forum Mods][Rules][ZUChat][Newbie Guide]
"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans"-Van Zant
Giving up means you're willing to live with how things are-BGS
Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Moriquendi, SoLaris
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Malia Malia is a female The Byzantine Empire Malia is offline
Avalanchemike

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dancin'-a-go-go, baby
View Posts: 19,305
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

Stealing your format, BGS lol <3:

If you were offered modship for the board of your choice, would you accept it?
Turned it down for years because I liked being a regular member. Took it up without the banner a few months ago just so I could run the GD, but didn't want to be publicly acknowledged as a mod. Took the banner a few weeks ago because of A CERTAIN GAY MODERATOR.

Why?
I'm doing it in the GD/creative arena because modship has been inconsistent with Sig of the Week for a while now. I got sick of the inconsistency so just thought ♡♡♡♡thisdoitmyself.

What makes you a better choice than others?
I'm not. I'm terrible lol.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Mattocks Canada Mattocks is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada State
View Posts: 12,150
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

I wouldn't take anything more than I have now. For those of you not on staff I was actually offered the job of community section mod but turned it down. I personally don't think I'm active enough outside of CC to effectively mod other boards as well as the fact that I'm a stict mod, and places like GCC don't go well with that. But most of all it's because CC is my place. I love organizing community projects (even if they sometimes give me a headache), and if I had a larger section to mod, my job there would suffer.

That being said I'm also mod of the train boards because I'm awesome
RESPECT MAH AUTORITAH! DX
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Jonah Jonah is a male Jonah is offline
nowhere
Join Date: Jan 2011
View Posts: 4,183
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

I would definitely accept it. I have always love modding forums and have done so for years, lol. Though this forum is definitely the most unique I have come across so far in terms of how things are run. It's a pretty cool setup.
Last Edited by Jonah; 06-24-2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Pietro Pietro is a male Canada Pietro is online now
Timecube is life
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro
Steam ID: Pietro672
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
View Posts: 9,107
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

Like Abyss Master I was a mod on LOZ.com and have been a mod on other sites about as large as ZU, but now I only do news updates and I have to say I disagree with everything you said. Mods like to toot their own horn about how hard it is, I don't know the ZU staff too well but unless your staff is filled with a bunch of asshats its actually quite easy. You have to abide by the rules? So does every other member, but regular members don't get as much leeway as staff.

To answer the question, if I were offered a mod job I would take it.

Quote:
If you were offered modship for the board of your choice, would you accept it? Why? What makes you a better choice than others? How would you run things?
-Its not up to me to explain why I'm the better choice because I'm not applying for it, it would be offered to me and I'd therefore assume that the staff knows why they're offering me the job.

-I'd be lenient, basically make sure things are posted in the right board and not intervene in any thread unless there is flaming or spam (as in pictures of dicks or something, not things that are on topic but short).

Very easy, I know because I've done it.

Quote:
It was also a matter of being able to work with other mods. Our staff is quite tightly knit and so I reckon it'd be difficult for a new and not very well-known member to join staff, unless it was for something like creating content for our main site.
lololol Teeler, I remember opposing that as group leader, should've listened
__________________
Last Edited by Pietro; 06-24-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Nox Nox is a male United States Nox is offline
SNOW_STORM IS THE BEST
Send a message via Skype™ to Nox
Steam ID: HALF LIFE 3 IS NEVER GONNA BE RELEASED!
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Southside Chicago
View Posts: 10,090
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

I honestly could not do it. You say that you must lead by personal example . . . well I KNOW that I can be quite the ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡ and even immature sometimes, but that's just me. I'll have my serious moments yes, and actually discuss something in rational detail, but at the end of the day, I can't find myself doing that for EVERYTHING, especially if those matters are conflicting with personal views I have. What can I say, I'm a very opinionated person.

Not to mention, the sheer amount of ❤❤❤❤❤iness from the members, both the ones ignorant of the rules and the ones who think the rules make no sense. Not to mention, there are certain rules even I like to bend once in a while. Trust me, it's certainly a lot easier to be an influential leader than it is to be a law enforcer and even then, sometimes you don't even have be in a position of leadership to be highly influential.

Oh and I also tend to be off the computer a lot of the times interacting with people physically. As much as I do like to interact with people that are thousands of miles apart, I can't make much of a commitment to do so. Whenever I'm the leader in any group project I ALWAYS insist on everyone being there in person. I don't do video calls, no Skype conferences, not even chat programs to discuss things. I dunno, I function better when I see people than when I don't.

So yeah to sum it up, I'm too opinionated, rule-bending, and physical dependent to be a mod. It'd be nice yes, to run a sub-forum on here, but I can't find myself committing to it all the time.
__________________

Artwork. Why not critique so I can get better, plz :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I have a friend who once asked me if vaginas had taste buds. Because of flavored condoms.

We were 17
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Tabby Tabby is a male European Union Tabby is offline
Sein Vaterland muss größer sein!
Send a message via Skype™ to Tabby
Steam ID: pzkpfw_iv
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Deutsches Kaiserreich
View Posts: 6,370
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Avalanchemichael View Post
If you were offered modship for the board of your choice, would you accept it? Why? What makes you a better choice than others? How would you run things?
I would say yes, I would accept it. Being an admin on a Gmod server several times in the past, I've had my fair share of lunatic 12 year olds thinking they rule the word and the rules do not apply to them. The first time I did it, we couldn't get the ban command to work, so this guy kept on coming back after I kicked him.
I know how annoying stuff can be.

One thing I hate about forum mods (not really ZU, as far as I know/have seen) is favouritism. I used to visit a forum where half the active members (including me) and several mods just decided to leave the moderation was so ♡♡♡♡ty. In the space of a week, at least half a dozen new mods where taken aboard just because they where friends of existing mods.
And then if you where a friend of a mod, you could probably get away with posting child porn. It was that bad. But heaven forbid if your amazingly informative thread about the German Army making use of archaic technology was "spammy".


I am not calling for ultra-strictness, but in my experience if mods are too loose then the whole thing falls apart. When you have annoying little kids trying to take advantage of any loophole, then you need to be tough on them. If it is just a small disagreement between two members, one has to be flexible enough to be more relaxed about things.

For example, when I was admining on a server once, two of my close friends where always at each other's throats. I gave them several warnings, and ended up just banning them both.
__________________
Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Coconut Water, ~*I<3NickJonas4eva!*~
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 01:56 PM
8bit 8bit is a male United Nations 8bit is offline
Our sunshine is not for franchise!
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Carbondale, Illinois
View Posts: 8,349
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

Quote:
If you were offered modship for the board of your choice, would you accept it?
No.

Quote:
Why?
It is a hierarchical position that reinforces oppression, and divides groups into virtual castes.

Quote:
What makes you a better choice than others?
I'd turn down the job.

Quote:
How would you run things?
I'd get rid of all hierarchical moderation and replace it with a democratic voting system. 'Janitors' would remain; a group of users who are responsible for maintaining non-oppressive administration, (such as managing the interface) though they would be elected by the board members directly and would be subject to immediate recall by the same voters.

edit: You're all fascists.
__________________
Don't trust the police.
No justice; no peace.
Last Edited by 8bit; 06-24-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 02:00 PM
tnf Antarctica tnf is offline
Send a message via AIM to tnf Send a message via Skype™ to tnf
Join Date: Feb 2010
View Posts: 12,348
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

No
Because you guys are a bunch of bickering annoying baby wah-wahs.
bleugh
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 02:07 PM
tallgeese tallgeese is offline
i have foursomes and i don't havta force 'em
Join Date: Apr 2002
View Posts: 1,891
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
No.



It is a hierarchical position that reinforces oppression, and divides groups into virtual castes.



I'd turn down the job.



I'd get rid of all hierarchical moderation and replace it with a democratic voting system. 'Janitors' would remain; a group of users who are responsible for maintaining non-oppressive administration, (such as managing the interface) though they would be elected by the board members directly and would be subject to immediate recall by the same voters.
The "board members" would be the cause of oppression instead of the mods. Same thing, worded differently with a few minor changes. You suck. All governmental systems always head to the same place.
Last Edited by tallgeese; 06-24-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
5 people liked this post: Inquisitor Darklaw, Nox, Rew, SuperDecimal, tnf
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 02:10 PM
tnf Antarctica tnf is offline
Send a message via AIM to tnf Send a message via Skype™ to tnf
Join Date: Feb 2010
View Posts: 12,348
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

I'd also like to add that even if i was somehow made mod
I would probably get kicked out within a week
__________________
Reply With Quote
4 people liked this post: Kuya, Nox, Sgt. Pepper, SoLaris
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Google Says Google Says is a male Belgium Google Says is offline
I'm an excellent housekeeper. Every time I get a divorce, I keep the house.
Wii U ID: Googsays
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Belgium
View Posts: 2,661
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

Being a mod takes up way too much time, so no thanks <.<
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Legend of the Zelda Legend of the Zelda is offline
Banned User
Join Date: Apr 2011
View Posts: 35
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

i guess i can become a mod! im up for the job so hire me right away!
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 02:12 PM
8bit 8bit is a male United Nations 8bit is offline
Our sunshine is not for franchise!
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Carbondale, Illinois
View Posts: 8,349
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raduck View Post
The "board members" would be the cause of oppression instead of the mods. Same thing, worded differently with a few minor changes. You suck. All governmental systems always head to the same place.
A "board member" is anyone who signs up for the forums. A member of the boards, quite literally.
__________________
Don't trust the police.
No justice; no peace.
Last Edited by 8bit; 06-24-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-24-2011, 02:14 PM
tallgeese tallgeese is offline
i have foursomes and i don't havta force 'em
Join Date: Apr 2002
View Posts: 1,891
Re: Who wants to be a mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
A "board member" is anyone who signs up for the forums. A member of the boards, quite literally.
I see. My bad. In that case, I hope you like boards that run rampant with corruption and cronyism. As well as an ill-defined and inconsistent rule set and leader group that would never allow a chance to establish a solid outline for how the forums work.
Last Edited by tallgeese; 06-24-2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: SoLaris
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -