Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#101 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Anouki
View Posts: 53
Re: Physical Fitness

Agh, all my clothes are way to big and baggy; the only way to accuratley see my body type would be if I was in my underwear! X(
  #102 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Beh
View Posts: 12,744

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloCod27 View Post
Do you guys mind if I post a picture of myself so you can tell me what muscles I need to work on, and tell me whether my body type is too skinny/just right/too fat for my age?
Unless you have been weightlifting for upwards of a year you don't need to target or work on anything. You should just be doing all your compound lifts and if after a year you're noticeably lagging somewhere then you can target it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloCod27 View Post
Agh, all my clothes are way to big and baggy; the only way to accuratley see my body type would be if I was in my underwear! X(
Either ball up and post in underwear or just put a pair of shorts on and pull them up.

Btw, I will be brutal.
  #103 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Anouki
View Posts: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpsterLove View Post
Unless you have been weightlifting for upwards of a year you don't need to target or work on anything. You should just be doing all your compound lifts and if after a year you're noticeably lagging somewhere then you can target it.

Either ball up and post in underwear or just put a pair of shorts on and pull them up.

Btw, I will be brutal.

Okay, fine here is a picture of me:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/...t_20110405.jpg

In my mind I am way to skinny and underweight.
  #104 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2011, 10:10 PM

congrats you have a functioning mind

i don't understand what your question is

have you started working out?
  #105 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-11-2011, 05:21 AM
SeriousDiscussion
View Posts: 24,034

Well, decided two years is long enough a wait. LET'S DO THIS ♡♡♡♡.

DANSHAFF. When I finish dumbell curls, often it's my forearms that feel solid and fatigued, and my actual upper arms much less so by comparison.

I imagine it's possible me being too overzealous in wanting heavier weights to break the muscles down when lifting fast, and I imagine that I should use less weight and let the repetition of the lifts themselves to fatigue the muscles. What's your thinking on this?

Also - is it possible to build up muscle and lose body fat and tone at the same time? As in, working out early in the morning, and cardio sessions in the afternoon for example?
Asking as the idea of high caloric surplus while wanting to lose body fat while muscle building seems really contradictory to me.

/dumbquestionsthatwillbefrequentlyaskedbyeveryone
  #106 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-11-2011, 01:49 PM

Dumbbell curls: I, personally, haven't done dumbbell curls in a long time. However, if you're doing what I think you are and starting with the two ends facing front and back, then turning it as you bring it up then it would make sense. The portion of the lift where you raise it so that your forearm is parallel to the ground and the ends are facing up and down is called a "hammer curl" and it works the area of your forearm you described.

My personal favorite bicep workout is 21's. That's where you load up an EZ curlbar (it weighs 25 pounds by itself and is curved for better wrist position) and start by putting three 5 pound plates on each side. Do 7 repetitions starting from the bottom of the curling motion and coming about halfway up, then take off one of the 5 pound plates on each side. Then do the upper half of the curling motion for 7 repetitions, and remove another 5 pound plate from each side. For the last 7 repetitions do a full curl. It helps to have a partner for this so that they can remove the weight for you, and to help you on the last few reps where you're straining the hardest.

As for the secondary question on weight vs. repetition quality then I favor the latter. Each rep should be performed with as close to perfect form as possible and remember to always keep a slow and controlled eccentric motion.

Second question: Simple answer is no, unless you have just started weight lifting or were previously in very good shape but have since gotten out of shape. In the first month or two of lifting for a newb, they will likely lose some body fat even though they are eating a caloric surplus. Not positive why it happens, but it does. The latter happens because of muscle memory, so it's easier and quicker for those previously trained athletes to revert to their original shape.

Calories in/calories is what I have found to be true, and yet to see anything to disprove it. While eating a caloric deficit you'll be losing some kind kind of mass, depending on your diet and exercise, it can be either muscle or fat), and while eating a caloric surplus you'll be gaining some mass.
  #107 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-11-2011, 02:00 PM
SeriousDiscussion

Suck my dick. :>
  #108 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-11-2011, 02:11 PM
SeriousDiscussion

Quote:
Dumbbell curls: I, personally, haven't done dumbbell curls in a long time. However, if you're doing what I think you are and starting with the two ends facing front and back, then turning it as you bring it up then it would make sense. The portion of the lift where you raise it so that your forearm is parallel to the ground and the ends are facing up and down is called a "hammer curl" and it works the area of your forearm you described.
I genuinely keep good form, and don't fall into accidental hammer curls - I only do those with very light weights to keep my arms moving during a rest period in between sets. I don't ever confuse is. misappropriate the two.

Quote:
My personal favorite bicep workout is 21's. That's where you load up an EZ curlbar (it weighs 25 pounds by itself and is curved for better wrist position) and start by putting three 5 pound plates on each side. Do 7 repetitions starting from the bottom of the curling motion and coming about halfway up, then take off one of the 5 pound plates on each side. Then do the upper half of the curling motion for 7 repetitions, and remove another 5 pound plate from each side. For the last 7 repetitions do a full curl. It helps to have a partner for this so that they can remove the weight for you, and to help you on the last few reps where you're straining the hardest.
I adore EZ bars. It feels just that much more natural and easy to hold which makes lifting divine. Sadly they're as overpriced as ♡♡♡♡. :[

Will put into practise everything you said with the lifting and weight removal with a standard barbell though until I get an EZ.
Ew. Spotting brings up nasty images.
Cheers man, will start incorporating these in.

Quote:
As for the secondary question on weight vs. repetition quality then I favor the latter. Each rep should be performed with as close to perfect form as possible and remember to always keep a slow and controlled eccentric motion.
Awesome. Will lighten the weight and then just increase the reps or sets.

Quote:
Second question: Simple answer is no, unless you have just started weight lifting or were previously in very good shape but have since gotten out of shape. In the first month or two of lifting for a newb, they will likely lose some body fat even though they are eating a caloric surplus. Not positive why it happens, but it does. The latter happens because of muscle memory, so it's easier and quicker for those previously trained athletes to revert to their original shape.
So, there's no way around bulking up then having to cut after separately? Sucks. But I didn't think it could be avoided. No worries. Extra time doesn't bother me.

I'm fairly skeptical about muscle memory. I think there's a certain amount of truth in it, but I don't believe the muscle is that conceptually elastic.
Though, that said, after adding in those exercises you mentioned for the traps, my shoulders have gone from tiny flat plateaus to a noticeable incline. Think I even have comparison shots. Was a pretty amazing gain for around a week.

Quote:
Calories in/calories is what I have found to be true, and yet to see anything to disprove it. While eating a caloric deficit you'll be losing some kind kind of mass, depending on your diet and exercise, it can be either muscle or fat), and while eating a caloric surplus you'll be gaining some mass.
While I've gotten some nice muscle mass before, I've never actually stuck until the point of needing (out of wanting to) cut down and tone - so maintaining that muscle mass while trying to tone up and lower the BF% in a good balance will be te first time I go at it.

I'll shout you a PM for guidance on that.
  #109 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-11-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDecimal View Post
I genuinely keep good form, and don't fall into accidental hammer curls - I only do those with very light weights to keep my arms moving during a rest period in between sets. I don't ever confuse is. misappropriate the two.
I used to have hammer curls in my workout, but I think they're unnecessary now that I've found some better forearm exercises. Towel holds, deadlifts, farmer's walks, and even pull-ups are superior forearm exercises to any kind of curl.

Quote:
I adore EZ bars. It feels just that much more natural and easy to hold which makes lifting divine. Sadly they're as overpriced as ♡♡♡♡. :[
I get to go to my college's weightroom. All the equipment I could ever need, any time, for free. :3

Quote:
Ew. Spotting brings up nasty images.
Well ♡♡♡♡, now I'm going to giggle frequently while lifting because I never made that connection before. -___-

Quote:
So, there's no way around bulking up then having to cut after separately? Sucks. But I didn't think it could be avoided. No worries. Extra time doesn't bother me.
Well if you'd like to start cycling steroids/testosterone then there is a way around it.

Quote:
I'm fairly skeptical about muscle memory. I think there's a certain amount of truth in it, but I don't believe the muscle is that conceptually elastic.
Though, that said, after adding in those exercises you mentioned for the traps, my shoulders have gone from tiny flat plateaus to a noticeable incline. Think I even have comparison shots. Was a pretty amazing gain for around a week.
I sort of mispresented the idea in my previous post. He won't return to the shape he was in previously in no time at all. It will just be faster and easier compared to someone who was never in that shape. Christian Bale is a fantastic example of muscle memory at work. Notice at one time how muscular he was, then when he lost all of that to film The Machinist, it took him practically no time at all to put on 70 pounds. (Admittedly, the way his bone structure is helps him to look muscular even when a good bit of it is fat. He could very well be 20+% bodyfat in the Batman Begins picture.

Quote:
While I've gotten some nice muscle mass before, I've never actually stuck until the point of needing (out of wanting to) cut down and tone - so maintaining that muscle mass while trying to tone up and lower the BF% in a good balance will be te first time I go at it.
It's not that difficult. You just won't be doing a routine with a lot of volume. High weight, low rep. You're just trying to maintain the muscle mass so 3 sets of 5 repetitions will be fine for pretty much everything. That's one of the reasons I like Starting Strength so much. It's a great routine whether you're cutting or bulking!
1 person liked this post: SuperDecimal
  #110 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-12-2011, 01:39 AM
little zombies wanna eat my brains
View Posts: 5,545

man, I binged on caffeine and I love love love love peppers. AND I work out 8 times a week. But when I have one damn milkshake I will gain every single gram of the stupid thing in fat regardless.

Natural low metabolism sucks. I seriously have to watch every single calorie I put in my body in order to maintain.

btw its damned near impossible to eat a calorie surplus and still lose weight, and its also damned near impossible to eat a calorie deficit and gain muscle. I was in this position all year- I wanted to maintain my same fitness/speed on the erg but still lose weight. I had to eat in excess of 3500 calories a day to maintain athletic performance but I needed to lose 24 pounds. I did it, but it took me the entire year. It's possible with very careful dieting but it takes a long time- dont expect fast results.

Basically all you can do is make sure you're placing your high-energy workout-powering foods within a 2 hour window of the workout itself, and just eat normally when you don't workout. Eating before and after workouts gives you energy and recharges your glycogen stores respectively. Obviously you can't build muscle without a surplus and lots of protein, but you can sure maintain it while losing fat. And if you're eating a huge diet to promote muscle growth your body won't exactly be in a hurry to get rid of fat.

What I'd recommend is just doing lots of cardio without any major meals surrounding it, keep yourself well nourished before and after lifting, and don't eat more than you need to to get by. After you see a satisfying fat loss you should be fit enough to start gaining muscle.
Last Edited by Andy; 05-12-2011 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Cornelius Fudge, SuperDecimal
  #111 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Banned User
View Posts: 35

being in shape does not matter i like to be fat
3 people liked this post: Andy, Beh, Conde
  #112 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Am I the only person ____?
View Posts: 10,050

I'm fairly fit, but at a bit of a plateau. To take it to the next level, I would really have to push extremely hard in my workouts, and to be completely honest, that level of exertion is incredibly aversive. At some point, you have to weigh the costs and benefits. You also reach a point of diminshing returns where you have to work harder and harder to make any kind of gains.

I've reached a level where I look good and feel good and possess a level of overall functional fitness (strength, speed, endurance, flexibility etc) that is beyond most people. I'm certainly not a top-notch athlete, but there's really no reason I ought to be. It's not as if I'm striving to be a professional athlete.
  #113 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-12-2011, 03:26 PM

What kind of exercise do you do? If you do free weights, consider deloading or changing your routine. If cardio, consider changing the type you do. Like going from running to swimming, or from long-distance running to HIIT (sprinting for a period, resting for a period, sprinting, etc.)
  #114 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Am I the only person ____?
View Posts: 10,050

Quote:
What kind of exercise do you do? If you do free weights, consider deloading or changing your routine. If cardio, consider changing the type you do. Like going from running to swimming, or from long-distance running to HIIT (sprinting for a period, resting for a period, sprinting, etc.)
I have tried to incorporate more variation. For example, instead of simply jogging, I do sprints once or twice a week. I actually enjoy them because (at least while I'm at school) there's an astroturf field near by. I definitely think it's useful to switch routines up to avoid injury and get through plateaus.

The biggest thing, of course, is to push yourself to failure. That's the only way you make gains once you reach a certain level. And like I said, that's a very aversive feeling. I try to go for that when I'm feeling really good, but I can't do it often or I'll burn out and dread exercising at all.
  #115 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-12-2011, 03:33 PM
SeriousDiscussion

Quote:
I get to go to my college's weightroom. All the equipment I could ever need, any time, for free. :3
Pokéball go - Eyehaetchu, I choose you!

I've had some funny comments on my rejoicing of the EZ. I maintain unless you've used a barbell for curls or what have you, and then try with an EZ, you have no right to make the funz. It's really *that* much more comfortable and natural a hold.

Quote:
Well ♡♡♡♡, now I'm going to giggle frequently while lifting because I never made that connection before. -___-
An this is how gay men reproduce. By burning thoughts and other such things into the minds of the (partially) innocent. >:3

Quote:
Well if you'd like to start cycling steroids/testosterone then there is a way around it.
The only cycling I'd be remotely interested in are Creatine. Which I won't take.
In fact, other than protein powder directly after - or during - the last set of my exercises, I don't take or do anything.
I know it's harder to bulk up and make good gains when vegan compared to eating meat, but nevertheless, I like the challenge. :]

Quote:
I sort of mispresented the idea in my previous post. He won't return to the shape he was in previously in no time at all. It will just be faster and easier compared to someone who was never in that shape. Christian Bale is a fantastic example of muscle memory at work. Notice at one time how muscular he was, then when he lost all of that to film The Machinist, it took him practically no time at all to put on 70 pounds. (Admittedly, the way his bone structure is helps him to look muscular even when a good bit of it is fat. He could very well be 20+% bodyfat in the Batman Begins picture.
Well, I have to give enormous credit to his dedication to his work to see all the literally extreme shifts to his body he makes for his roles.

Quote:
It's not that difficult. You just won't be doing a routine with a lot of volume. High weight, low rep. You're just trying to maintain the muscle mass so 3 sets of 5 repetitions will be fine for pretty much everything. That's one of the reasons I like Starting Strength so much. It's a great routine whether you're cutting or bulking!
I thought as a general rule of theumb, it's high weight/low reps for muscle volume, and low eight/high reps for toning and body fat loss.

Though for fat loss, I've researched and put together a list of fairly 'simple' exercises that you have to superset all together without rest that really kicks your heart rate up to a good amount, and leaves you feeling very worked out by the end. It's pretty damn unexpectedly intensive. <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
btw its damned near impossible to eat a calorie surplus and still lose weight, and its also damned near impossible to eat a calorie deficit and gain muscle. I was in this position all year- I wanted to maintain my same fitness/speed on the erg but still lose weight. I had to eat in excess of 3500 calories a day to maintain athletic performance but I needed to lose 24 pounds. I did it, but it took me the entire year. It's possible with very careful dieting but it takes a long time- dont expect fast results.
This is the exact position I'm in now, and will be the focus of my future exercising for a while after.
It's really hard to find that harmony.

Quote:
Basically all you can do is make sure you're placing your high-energy workout-powering foods within a 2 hour window of the workout itself, and just eat normally when you don't workout. Eating before and after workouts gives you energy and recharges your glycogen stores respectively. Obviously you can't build muscle without a surplus and lots of protein, but you can sure maintain it while losing fat. And if you're eating a huge diet to promote muscle growth your body won't exactly be in a hurry to get rid of fat.
I looked into a good variety and examples of good nutrition. I just came to my own conclusion that since I eat pretty healthy anyways that a protein shake or protein source within twenty minutes is fine, and to not get too hung up on ridiculously awkward or intrusive nutrition plans.
  #116 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-12-2011, 03:33 PM

As long as you maintain good form in everything and don't go too crazy, I don't see any problems with pushing to failure, except for the mental aspects you described.

EDIT: I have to go to the gym, will respond to your post when I get back.
Last Edited by Beh; 05-12-2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #117 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-13-2011, 03:05 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Xeno

View Posts: 20,311

I tried out that P90X.

I practically died. Going from body building to cardio crap is hard.
  #118 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-13-2011, 03:09 AM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Send a message via Skype™ to Coconut Water

View Posts: 35,494

This has recently become my main source of physical activity:

#119 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-13-2011, 03:41 AM
SeriousDiscussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
I tried out that P90X.

I practically died. Going from body building to cardio crap is hard.
Pics.
  #120 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-13-2011, 08:35 PM
little zombies wanna eat my brains
View Posts: 5,545

Yeah SD the biggest thing is just not changing your plan too much. A big problem that most people do is that they will weigh themselves in after working out, and then when they weigh themselves in again fully hydrated the difference in weight will make them freak out and change things too quickly.

You just gotta find safe gradual changes that you can live with over a long period of time and implement them slowly. Don't go to crazy.

BTW on the topic of interval workouts... those are awesomely exhausting and will keep you jacked out of your mind.