Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2010, 03:34 AM
The White Maiden The White Maiden is a female United States The White Maiden is offline
All we can do is put our faith in the light and press on
View Posts: 296
At what point should I call the cops?

Okay, so, I'm starting to panic. My mum has been doing this internet dating thing for a while and tonight she took the car to go on a date with this new guy. He's quite a bit younger than her and though they've been talking, she told me that she was definitely not going to get into a relationship (including sexual) with him because he was younger than my brother and that was creepy. Of course, she could just have been bluffing because she was embarrassed. My mother is kind of famous in my book for picking the creepiest, most inappropriate (and often dangerous) men she can possibly find.

Now it's 1:30 in the morning and I've called her phone about fifty times, left messages, sent texts, etc. She has not once picked up. It's rung through, so I know it isn't dead or off. It's very unlike my mother to ignore my calls. I went on to her dating profile online and looked at this guy -- and he looks like a total creeper! He's really dodgy, and completely not her type. The guy says he smokes often and the only interest he lists is motorcycles. My mother thinks that smoking is completely disgusting and she freaked out on both my brother and I when we got our motorcycles; she sees the Harley culture (though I like a different kind of bike) to be 'trashy'. Plus, he's kind of got a pig face, and these really suspicious-looking eyes.

What the hell is my mum thinking? And at what point should I do something about it? Should I wait another hour? I don't know his name or where he lives. For goodness' sake, this is what the teenage daughter is supposed to do to her parents, not the other way around!
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2010, 04:02 AM
The White Maiden The White Maiden is a female United States The White Maiden is offline
Re: At what point should I call the cops?

-sigh- You're right. I should chill. Foremost what I'm worried about is that midnight is quite late for her (she's early to rise and early to bed) and that it's so unlike her to not answer my calls or keep me updated. But contrary to what my message seems to express, I've never told her what she can or can't do. She's always given me that much, too (and lucky for her, it turns out I'm far from a party girl and would never touch mind-altering substances.)

I'll take your advice and wait until three. At that point it will be so out of character for her I might be justified in freaking out.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2010, 06:44 AM
VeganWithAVengeance VeganWithAVengeance is a male United States VeganWithAVengeance is offline
Kokiri
View Posts: 64

Let us know that your Mum's okay, please.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2010, 07:36 AM
Big Damn Hero
Send a message via Skype™ to Galedeep
Steam ID: nolanam
View Posts: 13,486

Police won't investigate a missing persons report until the person has been missing for 48 hours or more. You have some time.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2010, 07:51 AM
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 22,045

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolan View Post
Police won't investigate a missing persons report until the person has been missing for 48 hours or more. You have some time.
As far as I know this is a common myth, but is generally incorrect.

Of course, it'll depend on what country you're in, but my understanding is that in most places police start investigating as soon as they hear the report, rather than risk a lawsuit or similar if the person could've been saved if only they'd started searching earlier.

Public Key ID: 057420A1
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2010, 07:55 AM
VeganWithAVengeance VeganWithAVengeance is a male United States VeganWithAVengeance is offline
Kokiri
View Posts: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
As far as I know this is a common myth, but is generally incorrect.

Of course, it'll depend on what country you're in, but my understanding is that in most places police start investigating as soon as they hear the report, rather than risk a lawsuit or similar if the person could've been saved if only they'd started searching earlier.
I was going to say that sounded off.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Big Damn Hero

@John: I know that the 72 hour wait period is basically a myth, but I am pretty sure unless there is evidence of violence or other reasons to believe the circumstances of the person's disappearance is unusual, they don't start after a person has been missing for a few hours.

In this case we have an adult female who went out on a date and is a few hours late coming home. Is it cause for alarm? Maybe. Will the police start an investigation based on that? Probably not.
Last Edited by Galedeep; 09-04-2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason:
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 24

From past experience i dont have a very high opinion of the police for me thieve bin nothing but a waste of time they dont show up when they should, they do when you no longer need em, they rarely make the problem go away and nearly always make it worse.
But if you have faith that your local police will not be utterly useless im not going to persuade you otherwise and giving them a ring if shes acting really out of character couldn't hurt especially if shes still missing as it definitely a few hours later by now.

[Adopted by Melpomene
Last Edited by Banda; 09-04-2010 at 08:06 AM. Reason:
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2010, 08:27 AM

She just came home crying. He was a total ******* and had held her up, insisting she couldn't go until this, or that, and then finally he started screaming at her and she ran out of the house and got in the car and drove away. She'd been scared. Technically he didn't do anything illegal -- he didn't threaten or touch her -- but I'm notifying the internet dating site to tell them what this guy did, and they may or may not delete his profile. Might not do much in the long run, but at least I got my mum back. And apparently she'd left her phone in the car. (-facepalm-)

Thanks for the support, guys. It really helped to be able to talk about it.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2010, 09:14 AM
:cool:
Send a message via Skype™ to Jawn
View Posts: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperrault View Post
She just came home crying. He was a total ******* and had held her up, insisting she couldn't go until this, or that, and then finally he started screaming at her and she ran out of the house and got in the car and drove away. She'd been scared. Technically he didn't do anything illegal -- he didn't threaten or touch her -- but I'm notifying the internet dating site to tell them what this guy did, and they may or may not delete his profile. Might not do much in the long run, but at least I got my mum back. And apparently she'd left her phone in the car. (-facepalm-)

I'm glad she's back and alright. I may not know you at all but I was worried for you and your mother and had decided to check up on the thread to make sure she was alright. If I were you I'd be worried just the same, and would have probably called the police :3.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Big Damn Hero

Quote:

If he attempts to contact again, that is when you call the cops.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Daccus Illuminatus Misericors
Steam ID: nikohesus
View Posts: 6,436

This is unbelievable... convince her to quit this online dating service. And if that bastard attempts to contact her, hang up or call the cops.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2010, 10:15 AM
The Comeback Kid
Send a message via AIM to Notsil Send a message via Skype™ to Notsil
Steam ID: LTK419 Wii U ID: ZachtotheFuture

View Posts: 13,391

Quote:

This is the same thing that happened when tnf and I met. She got over it and came back for round two. After a week in my basement she broke and now we're getting married!

But yeah, this is why most "normal" people don't trust/like/take seriously internet dating, and I don't really blame them for being skeptical of it. Just be happy your mom's okay (and I'm sure you are!) and hopefully her next search goes better than this one.
Last Edited by Notsil; 09-04-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason:
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Send a message via AIM to tnf Send a message via Skype™ to tnf
View Posts: 12,341

Did she meet him at his house or something? That was her first fault. You never go to the guys house. .__.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2010, 12:19 PM
I may not be perfect... but my dog loves me.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nesi
Steam ID: AlkalineCandy

View Posts: 18,226

Well, either way I drop in to say that I'm happy that things are okay now.

I know I haven't given you a calming word or an advice, but honestly, I had no idea, either, and I still don't know what I would do in such a situation.

So, go ahead and have a tiny little chat with your mom, and tell her that she scared the living **** out of her with this and she should make sure that she'd never leave her cellphone again, when she leaves with a stranger guy.

Much love, babe. :3
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-22-2010, 06:47 AM
hero of the gorons hero of the gorons is a male Australia hero of the gorons is offline
Anouki
View Posts: 51

if you had called the cops they probably would have come after something bad had happened.
there lazy *******s
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Avalanchemike Avalanchemike is a male The Byzantine Empire Avalanchemike is online now
patron saint of subtlety
Send a message via Skype™ to Avalanchemike
Steam ID: Avalanchemike Wii U ID: AvaMike

View Posts: 25,292

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero of the gorons View Post
if you had called the cops they probably would have come after something bad had happened.
there lazy *******s
Ah yes, it's totally not because if nothing had happened, they would have wasted several hours of the taxpayers money (which they would be criticized for) and time that could have been better spent elsewhere (which they'll be criticized for). You know, like investigating something that actually needed investigating.

"It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong"
- G. K. Chesterton

#18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Pumpkin Fields Pumpkin Fields is a male United States Pumpkin Fields is offline
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 9

Glad to hear she's alright. Like another poster said, I would let the cops know if he makes any more attempts to contact her.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Kokiri
Send a message via Skype™ to DRKO
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198082740168/
View Posts: 63

Definitely call the cops if he comes knocking again. I wouldn't risk it.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-27-2010, 01:22 AM
Rock Star Jerk Supremo
View Posts: 9,538

I'm glad to know that your mother is safe! I hope that if anything, she has learned to be more cautious. <3

Since there really isn't any more conversation coming out of this, I'm going to lock this thread. If something comes up again, however, you are welcome to make a new thread.

Hope everything goes well! =)

And yes, message me with any polite questions, comments, complaints, concerns, etc.