Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-23-2010, 10:21 PM
комисса́р ☭
View Posts: 361
What language do you take/will you be taking? Why? Do you enjoy it?

This thread is a bit similar to this one, but I'm not trying to find out the most confusing language, but instead to discuss languages that we may be learning regardless of their difficulty.

1) What Language do you take, or what language will you be taking?

2) Why did you pick it?

3) Do you like it? Why?

4) What makes it easy for you to learn?

5) What makes it hard for you to learn?

1) I'm signed up to learn Russian, beginning in the fall.

2) I enjoy studying Russian history, and I wanted something with a simple alphabet compared to Mandarin Chinese (which I took in high school.) Russian Cyrillic seems to fit that criteria just fine.

3) So far I enjoy it. I haven't started classes yet, but I've found some resources on my own, and already have most of the Cyrillic alphabet down. I want to be able to read historical documents that are written in Russian. In terms of pronunciation, I'll be there soon. (Understanding will take some time. )

4) The letters K, O, M, E,T, and A look the same and are pronounced in roughly the same way.

5) The letters B, E, P, У, X, and H look like Latin letters, but are pronounced differently. ы is a vowel with no direct equivalent present in English. Also, I can't roll my Rs (yet).

Night of the Third Day

Last Edited by Nosh; 07-24-2010 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-23-2010, 10:47 PM
sudo make me a sandvich
Send a message via Skype™ to Vero
View Posts: 458
Re: What language do you take/will you be taking? Why? Do you enjoy it?

1) I'm in high school taking Spanish at the moment.

2) I picked Spanish because I like in the United States and a large population of Americans speak Spanish, many exclusively. It's also a language that's relatively easy to learn from an English background.

3) I've liked it so far. I have a few online friends that know Spanish who I can practise with, and I learn a lot of new words talking with them.

4) Spanish uses most of the same characters as English. A standard American qwerty keyboard can easily type Spanish characters. Many of the Spanish words sound a lot like their English counterparts. Most pronunciations are phonetic. Lots of people know Spanish in America, so it's easy to practise.

5) There are lots of irregulars, and learning a new language always takes a lot of work.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-23-2010, 10:57 PM
ひきこもり
Send a message via AIM to Peekay Send a message via Skype™ to Peekay
Steam ID: peekaypkpounder 3DS ID: 2852-8150-5732
View Posts: 4,724

1) Spanish. :3 Been taking it since highschool, but dropped it my senior year. Will be taking it up again in the fall in college

2) I'm adopted from Peru, where they speak spanish. Since I'm adopted I still have family there and would like to be able to converse with them someday. Also, A large portion of americans speak spanish. Hello job opportunities.

3) I do. :3 No real reason for it, I've been hearing spanish since I was a baby so I suppose it's natural.

4) ...... I have no idea? xD I understand pretty well. Speaking is another thing entirely.

5) Vocab. I always forget what words mean and their tenses. Which is important.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 20

1) I am currently taking spanish 3 this fall.

2) I picked it because I had no interest in German or French ( the only choices at my school ) and I knew it would be a benefit for jobs and getting into colleges and actually using it because a lot of people speak spanish.

3) Yes, I like spanish. After two years its gotten a little bit more boring though, I dont know if this will continue on or it was just those three chapters.

4) I have a good memory for vocab, its easy for me to remember certain words in spanish to english.

5) Sometimes the tense, i.e. when to use the preterite and imperfect and little rules like the subjunctive ( not subjunctive in particular but stuff a long the sides of that).
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2010, 12:36 AM
Custom User Title
Steam ID: Khao84 Wii U ID: KhaoMortadios 3DS ID: 1075-0789-4675
View Posts: 11,345

I'm (partially) learning Esperanto, but it's been a long while since I haven't made any progress, and I do it by myself, there's 3 reasons on why I picked it, 1. It's VERY easy, everything makes perfect sense and it's got really simple rules, 2. It was supposed to be a global language, but it failed and people that even know it exists are not that common, and that's not counting people that actually speak it, wich is quite few. 3. It sounds incredibly funny, and no one would understand what I'm saying.
As for why I like it, I'd be repeating myself. The language itself is VERY easy to learn, but the only hard part for me, is my own lazyness... It's been a long while since I've learnt anything.

I'm curious, what exactly is a rolling R? saw the term on the other thread, and I was not sure if I knew what it was, and it's probably something I can already do anyway.
Last Edited by Khaoabunga; 07-24-2010 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2010, 12:42 AM
(Jehanne)

View Posts: 17,454

I took Spanish in high school and college.
More recently, I took 4 semesters of Japanese (oi, nihongo wa sugoi desu yo!)

2) Why did you pick it?

Spanish: because I lived in Southern California and it made more sense than taking French or German.

Japanese: because I'm otaku, duh.

3) do you like it? Why?

Spanish: yeah, sure. It was okay.
Japanese: it's great!!!

Spanish: it's not too much different from English
Japanese: I'm not good at learning languages -- it is not easy. -_-;

5) what makes it hard for you to learn?

I rely on the textbook and dictionaries too much.

Also, I'm pretty shy. And if you don't practice speaking with people, your fluency improvement will certainly lag.

Last Edited by Sophie; 07-24-2010 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2010, 12:47 AM
I swear that I don't have a gun
View Posts: 3,111

1. I took 2 languages. I studied Spanish in high school for about 5 semesters. I took 4 semesters of Japanese in college.

2. Spanish I took to fulfill my language requirements. I stuck with it because I had no other classes that I needed to take. I just plain wanted to learn Japanese. What made the class really ideal was that the teacher scared away all the weaboo within the first week, leaving the normal people to study it.

3. Spanish was just ok, bit too bland for me to really get into it. I liked Japanese, albeit the class itself was just ok. I stuck with it mainly because my classmates were a lot of fun to be around.

4. Spanish was never really hard to pick up to be honest. I've forgotten most of it now, but I never really struggled with it per say. Japanese pronunciations are probably the easiest part of that language. Reading the basic scripts is also fairly simple.

5. Hardest part of Japanese was remembering what level of politeness to use in a conversation. Besides that, maybe some kanji. But those are fairly easy to pick up if you follow some basic rules.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2010, 12:50 AM
комисса́р ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khao View Post
I'm curious, what exactly is a rolling R? saw the term on the other thread, and I was not sure if I knew what it was, and it's probably something I can already do anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp1drqleHc0

That video is about one method of learning to do it. The guy in the video demonstrates it a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scentless Apprentice View Post
What made the class really ideal was that the teacher scared away all the weaboo within the first week, leaving the normal people to study it.
That's amusing.

Night of the Third Day

Last Edited by Nosh; 07-24-2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2010, 12:54 AM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,337

1. I started German my freshman year of high school and have been continuing it through college.

2. I didn't like any of the Spanish teachers, but heard the German teacher was really fun and was really good at teaching the language.

3. I obviously like the language or I wouldn't still be studying it six years later. My teachers have done a really good job of making the language fun. In high school, my teacher taught us through old German films and he also taught us how to play instruments so we could play German folk songs and these methods really helped us learn. there is also nothing more terrifying than an angry person shouting at you in German. I do this all of the time!

4. Keeping noun genders straight has always been my weak point. There's no trick to determining what gender a non has, so you just have to learn it with the noun and it can really screw up your grammar if you get it wrong.

Quote:
What made the class really ideal was that the teacher scared away all the weaboo within the first week, leaving the normal people to study it.
How pray tell, did they manage that?
Last Edited by Bromion; 07-24-2010 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2010, 12:57 AM
(Jehanne)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scentless Apprentice View Post
I stuck with it because I had no other classes that I needed to take. I just plain wanted to learn Japanese. What made the class really ideal was that the teacher scared away all the weaboo within the first week, leaving the normal people to study it.
What exactly does that mean?
And what's a weaboo?

O.o

#11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2010, 01:00 AM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehanne View Post
And what's a weaboo?

O.o
it's someone who is into anime/japanese stuff to the point of just being weird
Last Edited by Bromion; 07-24-2010 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2010, 01:01 AM
I swear that I don't have a gun
View Posts: 3,111

Quote:
And what's a weaboo?

O.o
The people who are absolutely obsessed with all things Japanese. The people who curse themselves for having been born in America instead of Japan. The ones who say that everything is "kawaii" or say "desu"(in this case read day sue) at the end of everything.

My teacher was a very traditional woman, she was not going to put up with those people at all. I'm glad she was strict on them too, it made the class much better in the long run.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2010, 01:03 AM
Mogma
View Posts: 167

1) I've been learning chinese for 1 year now|I'm starting to take some online classes for japanese in my freetime

2) After finishing english I decided to learn chinese just in case it becomes more powerful, and I like chinese |I 'm interested in the japanese culture

3) Yeah, I do. I don't know why(for both of them)

4) For some reason I'm really good at it

5) Both take a lot of time(too many symbols! x.x) and sometimes I get confused with the order of the sentences in chinese
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosh View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp1drqleHc0
That video is about one method of learning to do it. The guy in the video demonstrates it a few times.
So it's what I thought! It's funny how it's so hard for so many people when I've been doing it my whole life, and I couldn't even think of any "technique" to do it, I just do it automatically, and you are missing a lot of awesome "vocal sound effects" if you can't do it. Of course, that is just me being an idiot. But I do find it kind of amusing.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2010, 01:09 AM
комисса́р ☭

Quote:
Japanese: I'm not good at learning languages -- it is not easy. -_-;
I was the same way with Mandarin Chinese due to there being so many different characters and the fact that it wasn't laid out phonetically in the same manner as English. If I'm not mistaken, Japanese is quite similar in those aspects, no?

I haven't taken a single class yet, but I can already tell I'll do better with Russian, because, while it still has more than the Latin alphabet, it has smaller number of characters for me to remember and the way they're laid out is the same as English in terms of how their appearance corresponds to pronunciation.

In Chinese each character was a complete syllable, which did not work well with how I'm used to interpreting written language. Russian works much better with how I learn such things. I already can pronounce and remember most of the Cyrillic alphabet, and I just started working on that a few days ago.

It also helps that I'm actually interested in Russian. I was taking Chinese for four years due to a scheduling error that never got fixed. I had signed up for French.

You, on the other hand, said that you enjoy Japanese and wanted to take it, so I'm sure you have much more drive to learn it than I did with Chinese, so you can probably overcome any difficulties involved.

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

Quote:
So it's what I thought! It's funny how it's so hard for so many people when I've been doing it my whole life, and I couldn't even think of any "technique" to do it, I just do it automatically, and you are missing a lot of awesome "vocal sound effects" if you can't do it. Of course, that is just me being an idiot. But I do find it kind of amusing.
It does sound pretty cool, but in English you never really have any occasion to do it. As such, you never have occasion to figure out how.

Night of the Third Day

#16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2010, 01:11 AM
(Jehanne)

Quote:
You, on the other hand, said that you enjoy Japanese and wanted to take it, so I'm sure you have much more drive to learn it than I did with Chinese, so you can probably overcome any difficulties involved.
Japanese is phonetic, except for the kanji (the Chinese students had a leg-up, I tell ya ). When I went to Japan last year, I realized that 1/3 of the characters they use are katakana, 1/3 are hiragana (both are phonetic), and 1/3 are the Japanese Chinese characters, in any given block of text.

I studied Korean for a little while with a private instructor after I graduated from college, but we never got to the hanja (the Korean Chinese characters). They don't use hanja nearly as much as the Japanese use kanji.

^_^

My problem right now is that I don't think I can register for the next Japanese course. The space is really limited and since I'm not an undergraduate student, I don't get to register until everything is already full. I'm debating whether to try and squeeze in (special permission), or just beg the sensei to do private instruction for me.

We'll see.

Last Edited by Sophie; 07-24-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2010, 01:25 AM
комисса́р ☭

Quote:
Japanese is phonetic, except for the kanji (the Chinese students had a leg-up, I tell ya ). When I went to Japan last year, I realized that 1/3 of the characters they use are katakana, 1/3 are hiragana (both are phonetic), and 1/3 are the Japanese Chinese characters, in any given block of text.

I studied Korean for a little while with a private instructor after I graduated from college, but we never got to the hanja (the Korean Chinese characters). They don't use hanja nearly as much as the Japanese use kanji.

^_^
Ah, I knew that Japanese had a few Chinese characters. I had made the mistake of assuming that the rest of the characters would function similarly. Thanks for the tip.

I also thought Japanese used more Chinese characters than one third, but that's mostly due to what my Chinese teacher told me. (He was really proud of his culture, and he sometimes exaggerated how much other cultures borrowed from it. He was a really awesome guy though.)

Quote:
My problem right now is that I don't think I can register for the next Japanese course. The space is really limited and since I'm not an undergraduate student, I don't get to register until everything is already full. I'm debating whether to try and squeeze in (special permission), or just beg the sensei to do private instruction for me.

We'll see.
Good luck, I hope it all works out one way or another.

Night of the Third Day

Last Edited by Nosh; 07-24-2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2010, 01:25 AM
por que esta es la rumba
View Posts: 2,296

I'll be going into my third year of German.

2) Why did you pick it?
Because I didn't want to take Spanish, and some of my ancestors immigrated from Germany.

3) do you like it? Why?
I do like it, some of the words are interesting and fun to say. It's really not that difficult.

It's reasonably close to English, and borrows loads of words from the English language.

5) what makes it hard for you to learn?
The case system is probably the hardest part. Also, they attach genders to objects. Like, a clock is feminine (however "a dress" is masculine).
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2010, 01:27 AM
Custom User Title

Quote:
It does sound pretty cool, but in English you never really have any occasion to do it. As such, you never have occasion to figure out how.
What if I want to imitate a loud car engine? Or some kind of quick machine gun? It even works for Chewbacca! There's endless uses for it! Not that any of those things are useful or important, or impossible to do otherwise, or anything, but it works perfectly.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2010, 01:34 AM
комисса́р ☭

Quote:
What if I want to imitate a loud car engine? Or some kind of quick machine gun? It even works for Chewbacca! There's endless uses for it! Not that any of those things are useful or important, or impossible to do otherwise, or anything, but it works perfectly.
I haven't really got a noise I use for loud car engines, I'll grant you that.

I accomplish machine gun noises with more rapid movement from the diaphragm. I'm not sure where the hell I learned to do that though.

Chewbacca impressions can be done with a similar sound produced in the back of the throat. (Not sure how I learned that one either.)

Of course, you already acknowledged that there were probably other ways to do those sounds, so I'm only giving examples. My initial point was just that it doesn't appear in English words, and sounds are more often described than actually replicated.

Night of the Third Day