Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #61 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 08:10 PM
tnf Antarctica tnf is offline
Send a message via AIM to tnf Send a message via Skype™ to tnf
Join Date: Feb 2010
View Posts: 12,339
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

I'm honestly considering these for my special-needs brother. I think he'd like them; but his second and third toe is completely fused -- I don't think that modification would even help... I'd have to completely remove the slit altogether and then have to patch up the front most likely.

I still think they're ugly and I wouldn't let him go in public with these, but he works out a lot and it would be nice for him to have since he just destroyed his sneakers.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #62 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Earth Earth is a male Earth is offline
This.
Send a message via Yahoo to Earth
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Aminal land
View Posts: 2,489
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Light View Post
I saw a woman wearing a pair of these a couple months ago. I want a pair, but I don't think I'd wear them all the time.
That's the attitude I had. I thought they'd only be fit to wear while at the rec or out jogging. Then I wore them out in public to do some grocery shopping. It only took one time for me to realize that "I don't give a **** what people think, these shoes make me feel like Superman."

But that being said, I'd never wear the things to a formal occasion, ha. I just don't see the need to impress anyone while I'm going to class or doing my daily activities. Anyone who thinks lowly of me because of my shoes really needs a reality check.
__________________
Last Edited by Earth; 04-28-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #63 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Dislutfate Dislutfate is a female Sweden Dislutfate is offline
No need to ask my name to figure out how cool I am.
Join Date: Jan 2009
View Posts: 4,803
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

I'd probably wear those when I'm cosplaying as someone from COD or if I'm roleplaying with Eric.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Imaginary Light Imaginary Light is a female United States Imaginary Light is offline
There are plenty of fish in the sea. LOL jk, there's an oil spill.
Send a message via AIM to Imaginary Light Send a message via Skype™ to Imaginary Light

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: In a crappy dorm in Germany.
View Posts: 1,785
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

No it's not. Walking barefoot as a child actually promotes arch development. You probably don't walk on your feet correctly. My dad has had flat feet ever since he was little due to shoes that deformed his feet.

I think I will get a pair of these shoes. They look very comfortable.
__________________
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Nacho/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Nacho/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Nacho/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #65 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Rew Rew is a male United States Rew is offline
Send a message via AIM to Rew
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Columbia, S.C. (USA)
View Posts: 14,292
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

Heh, this topic is awesome. xD

Anyway, I'm a weirdo/countercultural or whatever you want to call it, and go everywhere that I can barefooted. I generally make it a practice to go without footwear as much as possible for health, comfort, spiritual, and personal reasons. I could name all the medical benefits of going barefoot, but I think that's been covered in this thread so far.

At any rate, with the Vibram Five Finger shoe (seriously, "Five Finger" as a name for a shoe?--shouldn't that be the name of a glove? I digress), I can have all the benefits of walking barefoot for $75-100. Or I can simply do what I'm used to doing and stay barefoot for absolutely free. If my bare feet make me look like an oddball in public, I quite doubt that the Vibram shoes would alleviate this problem, as this thread has so amply demonstrated.

Nevertheless, kudos to Our Planet's Namesake for starting this neat thread and getting such discussion going.

As for the so far hotly debated aesthetic issue, I'm inclined to put this in the So Bad It's Good category. In many ways these "shoes" look utterly horrid--but horrid in a completely awesome way.
__________________

Signature and avatar set by the illustrious, if horny, Zarah Warah.
Last Edited by Rew; 04-28-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #66 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Imaginary Light Imaginary Light is a female United States Imaginary Light is offline
There are plenty of fish in the sea. LOL jk, there's an oil spill.
Send a message via AIM to Imaginary Light Send a message via Skype™ to Imaginary Light

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: In a crappy dorm in Germany.
View Posts: 1,785
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

I really have a hard time believing that flat feet are caused primarily from walking barefoot. There are other elements that caused it. Obviously, heredity is one of those factors.

I've heard a lot of good reviews about these shoes:

Quote:
Recent studies have shown that the FiveFingers likely provide the same benefits as barefoot running. Squadrone & Gallozzi have shown that experienced barefoot runners wearing FiveFingers adopted biomechanics that more resembled barefoot running than shod running. They concluded that running in FiveFingers successfully reproduced much of the biomechanics of barefoot running while providing minimal protection.
__________________
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Nacho/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Nacho/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Nacho/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #67 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Earth Earth is a male Earth is offline
This.
Send a message via Yahoo to Earth
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Aminal land
View Posts: 2,489
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzraelBlack View Post
No. Walking barefoot my entire childhood caused me to have flat feet because I have flexible tendons. I have prescriptions and it is one of the most common things podiatrists need to take care of. You clearly are the one who doesn't understand. It is a direct consequence of walking barefoot for too long as a child.
Well, that's your particular case. Don't be so quick to assume others have the same problems.

Quote:
As for everything else you had to say, BAAAAAAWWW.
If you're going to be a douche, do it correctly. Learn what qualifies for a "BAAAAWWWW". If you're that eager to use it, you might as well attach it to every post.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AzraelBlack View Post
What I have been told by the many podiatrists that I have been too, is that because my feet are flexible, that walking barefoot has meant that my arch has become flat.

It would be the same case for my mother who also has flexible feet, but she wore shoes all the time, because they lived in Venezuelan shanties. Walking barefoot was detrimental to my feet.

I have been told this by at least three podiatrists. I think I'll take their words on the matter. It may be different for people with different feet, and for those who have been wearing crap shoes, but in my case walking barefoot has meant that I have flat feet.
BAAAAAAWWWWW

See? Isn't it so easy to turn a legitimate post into a sap story?

I'm done with this. Stop making me feel embarrassed for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
Heh, this topic is awesome. xD

Anyway, I'm a weirdo/countercultural or whatever you want to call it, and go everywhere that I can barefooted. I generally make it a practice to go without footwear as much as possible for health, comfort, spiritual, and personal reasons. I could name all the medical benefits of going barefoot, but I think that's been covered in this thread so far.

At any rate, with the Vibram Five Finger shoe (seriously, "Five Finger" as a name for a shoe?--shouldn't that be the name of a glove? I digress), I can have all the benefits of walking barefoot for $75-100. Or I can simply do what I'm used to doing and stay barefoot for absolutely free. If my bare feet make me look like an oddball in public, I quite doubt that the Vibram shoes would alleviate this problem, as this thread has so amply demonstrated.

Nevertheless, kudos to Our Planet's Namesake for starting this neat thread and getting such discussion going.

As for the so far hotly debate aesthetic issue, I'm inclined to put this in the So Bad It's Good category. In many ways these "shoes" look utterly horrid--but horrid in a completely awesome way.
I want to be barefoot, but I admit, it's a little scary. These shoes are allowing me to ease my way in.

Vibrams are like ugly dogs that are cute. There's a certain pride to owning an "ugly" dog, just as I feel a certain pride wearing these out.

I'm glad to see the conversation moving away from what it was. Oh, and about the "five fingers" thing. It has to do with Vibram: they're an Italian company. In Italian, the word for "toes" and "fingers" is the same. I suppose it also contributes to the WTF factor.
__________________
Last Edited by Earth; 04-28-2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #68 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Imaginary Light Imaginary Light is a female United States Imaginary Light is offline
There are plenty of fish in the sea. LOL jk, there's an oil spill.
Send a message via AIM to Imaginary Light Send a message via Skype™ to Imaginary Light

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: In a crappy dorm in Germany.
View Posts: 1,785
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth View Post
Vibrams are like ugly dogs that are cute. There's a certain pride to owning an "ugly" dog, just as I feel a certain pride wearing these out.
I agree with this! I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear these like I would be if I wore crocs. I used to have a couple pairs of toe socks, and I loved them. I take it that these will feel the same. I tried looking online for a pair, but a lot of them are sold out!
__________________
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Nacho/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Nacho/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Nacho/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #69 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 10:42 PM
tnf Antarctica tnf is offline
Send a message via AIM to tnf Send a message via Skype™ to tnf
Join Date: Feb 2010
View Posts: 12,339
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

Whoa, these are 75 dollars?

I'd rather wrap Crayola modeling clay around my feet and let it dry.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #70 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Earth Earth is a male Earth is offline
This.
Send a message via Yahoo to Earth
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Aminal land
View Posts: 2,489
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Light View Post
I agree with this! I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear these like I would be if I wore crocs. I used to have a couple pairs of toe socks, and I loved them. I take it that these will feel the same. I tried looking online for a pair, but a lot of them are sold out!
These things are hot. I was lucky to get mine when I did. I expect to see them more often in the coming months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnf View Post
Whoa, these are 75 dollars?

I'd rather wrap Crayola modeling clay around my feet and let it dry.
Lol, that would last you about twenty steps or so.
__________________
Last Edited by Earth; 04-28-2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #71 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2010, 12:46 AM
luca luca is offline
gin & ironic
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: in the aeroplane over the sea
View Posts: 2,375
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

For100 bucks I can hit Converse and buy me two pairs of decent shoes.

One of my friends used these things one day to school. His nickname is now 'frog'. I'm dead serious.

I'm sorry but these things look horrible, I don't think I would wear them even if they gave them to me for free.
__________________
but my body was like a harp and her words and gestures were like fingers running upon the wires.

Reply With Quote
  #72 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2010, 03:56 AM
theresa New Zealand theresa is offline
hip hop connoisseur & really good at scrabble
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: crawlspace
View Posts: 1,532
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

I will wear them. I will wear them with pride and honour. **** yes! It's a great gift idea. Just imagine opening a package, to find these babies inside. Bliss.

I WANT A PAIR RIGHT NOW, SEND 'EM ASAP. It's kinda like wearing socks everywhere, but futuristic socks. Socks from the future.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #73 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2010, 05:38 AM
Sabbo Australia Sabbo is offline
Noble Keybearer


Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: c/20,000Lea
View Posts: 23,237
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth View Post
I guess I'll find out. But, think about it for a second. Humans evolved on this planet for this terrain. I doubt ankle support is needed except for by those who have come to depend on it.
Humans also evolved to have dangly bits which are very sensitive to damage. Just like we protect our (lower region for guys/upper region for girls), we also protect our feet in the ways they need to be protected. While most people would be fine with these, from a safety perspective, anybody who does things which need the feet in as sturdy a position as possible (such as the afore mentioned hiking) would not want these shoes. As a climber, I'm among those for whom these would be detrimental.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #74 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2010, 06:25 AM
Melpomene Australia Melpomene is offline
Super Mecha Death Christ
Send a message via Skype™ to Melpomene

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Besaid
View Posts: 11,887
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

They also don't look like they would protect anything falling on your foot, or if you stubbed your toe. That is what shoes are for. They remind me alot of those toe socks. I hate them, I hate the feeling the individual toes it just feels unatural to stick each individual toe in. To me, anyway.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #75 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Earth Earth is a male Earth is offline
This.
Send a message via Yahoo to Earth
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Aminal land
View Posts: 2,489
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltar View Post
For100 bucks I can hit Converse and buy me two pairs of decent shoes.

One of my friends used these things one day to school. His nickname is now 'frog'. I'm dead serious.

I'm sorry but these things look horrible, I don't think I would wear them even if they gave them to me for free.
Are in high school? I could actually understand not wanting to wear them at that age. People are still kids in high school. Kids don't like different things. Kids will make fun of different things without hesitation. If you wear them in high school, you better have the reputation to back it up. If he only wore them once, that only made things worse. He should have kept wearing them to get people used to the sight of them.

I assume he got "frog" because he wore some green ones? Heh, that's kind of cool. Mine look like gorilla feet, the green ones look like frog feet. These are nature shoes to the max!

Also, the comparison with converse is pretty moot. Who works out in Converse? Or runs for that matter? I'm using the VFF for everything because you can't get the full benefit of a barefoot shoe by switching at will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my name is boy View Post
I will wear them. I will wear them with pride and honour. **** yes! It's a great gift idea. Just imagine opening a package, to find these babies inside. Bliss.

I WANT A PAIR RIGHT NOW, SEND 'EM ASAP. It's kinda like wearing socks everywhere, but futuristic socks. Socks from the future.
I really do think a "revolution" is happening. In response to VFFs, shoe companies are making more barefoot friendly shoes. But, most of them are fail, like the Nike Free, which is just a lightweight normal running shoe, with an elevated heel and everything.



Yeah, man, TOTALLY A BAREFOOT SHOE! More expensive than most models of VFFs, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbo View Post
Humans also evolved to have dangly bits which are very sensitive to damage. Just like we protect our (lower region for guys/upper region for girls), we also protect our feet in the ways they need to be protected. While most people would be fine with these, from a safety perspective, anybody who does things which need the feet in as sturdy a position as possible (such as the afore mentioned hiking) would not want these shoes. As a climber, I'm among those for whom these would be detrimental.
While barefoot, your feet and legs move more because they're acting out the body's natural shock -absorbing motion. I still think you're arguing from a traditional shoe's perspective. A "sturdy" shoe sounds really harmful to the heel and knee. You don't want your movement restricted. It's not just the foot that works when you wear the VFFs; everything works differently, in your favor.

Check out this review: http://www.allclimbing.com/archive/2...fingers-shoes/

Also, this video really shows how awesome VFFs are for climbing:



Also, I have dangly bits, but my ankle isn't one of them. Wear a cup or something; don't depend on your shoe for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
They also don't look like they would protect anything falling on your foot, or if you stubbed your toe. That is what shoes are for. They remind me alot of those toe socks. I hate them, I hate the feeling the individual toes it just feels unatural to stick each individual toe in. To me, anyway.
They're meant to mimic being barefoot, so yeah, stubbing and other stuff is something to watch out for. Hence why your awareness will improve.

It will feel unnatural at first. You have to break them in. Mine felt stiff at first, but after a day or two, they felt like and extension of my feet... maybe because they are, in fact, my feet.
__________________
Last Edited by Earth; 04-29-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #76 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Sophie Sophie is offline
(Jehanne)

Join Date: Jan 2007
View Posts: 17,449
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

I've known two men who made it a practice to not wear shoes.

The first guy was a boyfriend of mine from college; I don't think they made these kinds of shoes back then and I'm sure they would have been too expensive for him at the time. The second guy is a college student I know now; I wonder why he doesn't have a pair of these.



During the summer, apparently, it's not such a problem walking around barefoot, but when the college students come back to town in the fall, he said that there tends to be more glass around.


I'll try something like this soon, I think... my current shoes are getting a little worn. And as it is, I usually only wear running shoes anyway, so it's not like I'm worrying about fashion.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #77 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Earth Earth is a male Earth is offline
This.
Send a message via Yahoo to Earth
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Aminal land
View Posts: 2,489
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

I became the center of attention on the bus today because of these. One girl was like "Ohhh, those are crazy!" Which was then followed by explaining what they were. Even the bus driver piped in and called them "feet shoes!"

Ha, if you want to be the center of attention, get some of these. People are way more often intrigued than disgusted. In fact, the only people I've seen disgusted by them are you people.

Also, here's a new video by Vibram. I like it; it explains what these are for in a nutshell:

__________________
Last Edited by Earth; 04-30-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #78 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Mage_of_Midna Mage_of_Midna is a female United States Mage_of_Midna is offline
If chickens had enough brains to wonder why they crossed a road....never-mind.
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Check your closet.
View Posts: 95
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

Sure, I'd wear them if I where rock-climbing, but just as a normal shoe? No.
__________________

SLYTHERIN FOR THE WIN!
Reply With Quote
  #79 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Sabbo Australia Sabbo is offline
Noble Keybearer


Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: c/20,000Lea
View Posts: 23,237
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth View Post
While barefoot, your feet and legs move more because they're acting out the body's natural shock -absorbing motion. I still think you're arguing from a traditional shoe's perspective. A "sturdy" shoe sounds really harmful to the heel and knee. You don't want your movement restricted. It's not just the foot that works when you wear the VFFs; everything works differently, in your favor.

Check out this review: http://www.allclimbing.com/archive/2...fingers-shoes/

Also, this video really shows how awesome VFFs are for climbing:

[*youtube]o04Ts3HHpOk[/youtube]

Also, I have dangly bits, but my ankle isn't one of them. Wear a cup or something; don't depend on your shoe for that.
Two things. First of all, I don't climb such flat surfaces, I climb things where bits and pieces giving way under my foot is not uncommon. I have no wish to twist my ankle when a foothold suddenly shifts. Secondly, I mentioned the "dangly bits" as a comparison between you saying barefeet/these shoes are "the way nature intended"; the only reason humanity didn't evolve to have internal genitalia for males (while not mating) and nothing but flat chests for women is because we made clothing to protect these parts before such evolution could get very far. We also made clothing to protect our feet (hence why our feet are not as hard as many other mammals).
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fitness, ninja, shoes, vibram


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 PM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -