#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-27-2010, 11:52 PM
This.
Send a message via Yahoo to Earth
View Posts: 2,489
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, aka "What is that on your feet!?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnf View Post
wait you mean to tell me gorillas are similar to humans in aspects?
HOLY ****

MIRACLES, HOW DO THEY WORK?
Not only did you not get my sarcasm, but you tried to combat it with more sarcasm. Fail.

I find some of these responses very offensive. Not that I expected better from ZU, the place where mods post (not funny) images instead of words. Something a member would never get away with.

I realize this shoe is very new to some of you, but you guys are reacting like ditsy teen girls.
Last Edited by Earth; 04-27-2010 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Crazy Harp Lady
Send a message via AIM to Skull Kid
View Posts: 608

I will admit, at first I thought these shoes were fugly too. I kept telling Earth that they look like pool shoes and I could never wear those in public. While I still think I wouldn't want to wear them out normally, they might be helpful for athletic purposes. And I think some of the responses in this thread are really immature and rude.

Website| Facebook | Youtube | Bandcamp |
Tumblr |Mi Principe Dorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth
I wish my piano had a Cuban key, though. I'd touch it all day.
Last Edited by Skull Kid; 04-27-2010 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Xeno

View Posts: 20,708

To be honest, I hate feeling my feet against anything. I constantly wear socks. The only time I have bare feet is when I'm changing socks or when I'm taking a shower (I even wear socks during sex). I can get past the aesthetic look, but the functionality of these shoes just doesn't suit my tastes. Running shoes would be much better, I would think.
Last Edited by Xeno; 04-28-2010 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 12:10 AM
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
To be honest, I hate feeling my feet against anything. I constantly wear socks. The only time I have bare feet is when I'm changing socks or when I'm taking a shower (I even wear socks during sex). I can get past the aesthetic look, but the functionality of these shoes just doesn't suit my tastes. Running shoes would be much better, I would think.
You should really look up how traditional running shoes impede how nature intended humans to run. If you go with a running shoe, consider something like the Nike Free, which is about as barefoot as a traditional running shoe gets.

And after that, I think I'm done with this thread. After having an image of me dissected and insulted, call me crazy, but I'd rather not return. You people really need to learn manners. Jebus. I would have never done that to someone. Here I was expecting to talk about the shoe in a fun manner.
Last Edited by Earth; 04-28-2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Xeno

View Posts: 20,708

But you don't get that "hop" when you step with those shoes.
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Send a message via AIM to tnf Send a message via Skype™ to tnf
View Posts: 12,339

wait? that was was sarcasm? I thought it was just an attempt to teach a fellow peer something about the world.
****ing learning, how does that work?

lol@shoefight.

You tried to contend that the shoes were fashionable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth
I look badass when I wear the grey skinnies with those.
I was disagreeing with that statement -- I think it looks ridiculous. These shoes being "new" has nothing to do with how fashionable they look. Maybe if you had stated "I like wearing these shoes because I tend to go running up Mt. Everest and I want to do it as close to barefoot as I can, minus the frostbite." I'd get it -- but I don't really know anyone who goes hiking in a pair of grey pipeliners.

I mean, you named the thread "What is that on your feet!?", so you must've been expecting some negative feedback.

Sorry I don't think your shoes are that great, broseph. I'd rather a pair of pumps or comfortable sneaker any day.
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 12:55 AM
the very model of a scientist salarian
Steam ID: superpaniland Wii U ID: Panique

View Posts: 24,851

I'll give you the fact that they might be comfortable and good for running, but as far as aesthetics go there's no way I'd wear these shoes. ;_; I have comfortable enough shoes that don't look silly to me, and I don't really have any need for good running shoes.

"you're not as bad as everyone says you are."
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 02:01 AM
Super Mecha Death Christ
Send a message via Skype™ to Melpomene

View Posts: 11,894

Those are the ugliest shoes I have ever seen. I hate to say it but they are worse than crocs, and I hate those things. Not my style at all.

Sure they might hit a chord for some people. But I wouldn't even try them.

They look like robot feet. Which, is kind of cool. But I still would not try them.
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 02:31 AM
Steam ID: Sugarpott 3DS ID: 5172-0173-9813

View Posts: 17,807

My ethics teacher wore these all the time. He said he started wearing them once he started training for marathons that included swimming. I remember this one day he came in all dressed up in a nice suit, but he had a pair of bright blues on. It looked ridiculous. Even the ladies who worked in the office came in and gawked at him.

If you've got balls, I'm not dicking up your anything. - HH
How do you Peculiar Kindalur?

#30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 04:31 AM

View Posts: 10,339

I actually think they look pretty interesting (I'm not really one to care about being fashionable!). However, I don't think I'd ever buy a pair of these shoes, because I don't like having things between my toes - I've got fairly sensitive feet, so I'd probably get blisters before too long.
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 04:38 AM
Noble Keybearer

View Posts: 23,464

Shoes have two purposes: To keep feet clean from things like dirt & sand, and to protect the feet. These... shoes don't seem to do the latter. Why in the world would I want to feel everything beneath my feet? I know I wouldn't want to feel sharp objects beneath my feet.
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 07:05 AM
I may not be perfect... but my dog loves me.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nesi
Steam ID: AlkalineCandy

View Posts: 18,149

If a friend of mine offered me to try it out for a day, I wouldn't hesitate to say yes. But anyway, to buy it and wear it, well, often, that's not my taste. Though they don't look as bad as some of you above me said they did, they're quite funny and stuff, but all in all, I wouldn't wear it. Mostly because what Sabbo said, and anyway, my feet often hurt due to my scoliosis, and a good pair of shoes can do wonders when it comes to that - so, I wouldn't wear it because of the practical reasons.

And because they are not really nice, neither my taste.

PM me for the clan test!
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Spirit of Seasons
View Posts: 1,815

Crocs are just.. yuck. They're not even comfortable :< A shoe needs to be comfortable first and foremost.

But oh man, I would so *love* to wear those! =D Provided they are in relatively plain colours. I love walking barefoot, personally. The first thing I do when I get home is take off my shoes and socks.

I can see the complaints of some on the aesthetics front, but I would simply love to see the reaction of people if I go out with these xD seems like it could bring about pretty hilarious reactions. I'd definitely give these a go for the fun factor. But I love toe socks too :> toe socks make me happy.

The only thing I'd worry about is the fact that I need shoe soles formed a particular way to stand properly. If I stand barefooted I don't walk right, which leads to back issues getting worse etc. For that reason I only buy Clarks casual shoes, because their soles are awesome and supportive.

twitter | raptr
Signature made by Haret! :>
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 08:15 AM
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnu View Post
The only thing I'd worry about is the fact that I need shoe soles formed a particular way to stand properly. If I stand barefooted I don't walk right, which leads to back issues getting worse etc. For that reason I only buy Clarks casual shoes, because their soles are awesome and supportive.
Is this something you were born with or is it a matter of proper posture? Walking barefoot is supposed to alleviate back and joint problems.

And, yes, for those of wanting to know about the reactions of people in the real world: no one is ever rude enough to call you out on them if they hate them. Unlike the internet, where I guess it's okay to way overreact about the fashion factor of shoe. Out there, at least in my neck of the woods, people wear all sorts of funky footwear. When people see these, they're intrigued. Seeing someone wear them irl is a lot different than seeing an image.

Certain colors of these shoes don't look bad at all. Some people just don't "get it". Seeing this shoe and instantly dismissing it says a lot about someone's character. It shows they are most likely prone to conformity. They are also probably less likely to exercise, or care about their health for that matter. And, as demonstrated by this thread, show a definite lack of open mindedness.

It's a fun shoe. Fun to wear, fun to watch people look, and fun to enlighten others about. I'm glad at least some people see that.

Oh, and Sabbo: the soles are very sturdy on the forefoot and heel. Knocking on it sounds like wood. When I say you can feel everything, I don't mean vividly. This shoe will protect your foot plenty well enough. I can't say the same for the top. If someone steps on your foot, only a very thin layer of stretchy cloth stands between you and them.
Last Edited by Earth; 04-28-2010 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 AM
DANGER ZONE
Send a message via Skype™ to Wario
Steam ID: brian_warioman
View Posts: 3,204

Those shoes are scary ugly. I do a lot of Hiking and running, and I would never wear those for either purpose, while they may look good for the purpose, they look much more prone to things peircing them. Like rocks, and that won't end well. I've destroyed a few pairs of shoes hiking and I have to say, these look worse than most pairs I have owned

XBL: Doctor Briola

3DS FC : 5386-8199-5942

YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAH...3ia_Voss8vQIcw
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Noble Keybearer

View Posts: 23,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
Those shoes are scary ugly. I do a lot of Hiking and running, and I would never wear those for either purpose, while they may look good for the purpose, they look much more prone to things peircing them. Like rocks, and that won't end well. I've destroyed a few pairs of shoes hiking and I have to say, these look worse than most pairs I have owned
I barely even need to look at them to know they'd make terrible hiking shoes. No ankle support.

Also, they're too thin. Even if the soles are adequately thick, as this "Earth" person implies, the rest is very clearly too thin.
Last Edited by Sabbo; 04-28-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Halcyon Hero Halcyon Hero is a male United States Halcyon Hero is offline
View Posts: 16,487

I might wear them for rock climbing, but that'd be it.
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Double-0-Snake Double-0-Snake is a male United Kingdom Double-0-Snake is offline
Caesar!
View Posts: 3,881

Mm. I'm not sure where I stand on this one. I love being barefoot, but I'm not sure I'd like to be wearing those. They look like those sport type socks you see soe people wearing. I don't like them. They leave ma legs feeling exposed kinda. If they were comfortable, which they clearly are, and a little more like regular shoes, perhaps. Till then, I say nay.
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 11:53 AM
A wise man's heart is seldom cheerful.
Send a message via Skype™ to StainedSigillum
View Posts: 933

I don't care what everyone else says, I like them. They look a lot more comfortable than the basketball and skateboarding shoes I usually wear.
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-28-2010, 01:09 PM
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzraelBlack View Post
Nope it is something that develops over time from walking barefoot. it comes from having overly flexible feet and tendons. And leads to "flat feet" which is essentially having a flat arch.

I have it as well, we need to wear insoles with our shoes to alleviate it.
My feet are really flat, and I have no idea what this is. I really have trouble believing walking barefoot too much could cause such a thing. Something like that would take much longer to develop than you're letting on. Even then, walking barefoot will absolutely not cause that. Walking on your forefoot too much, yes, but being barefoot doesn't mean anything.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but you are jumping to a whole lot of irrelevant and unfounded conclusions and it's making you look really silly. As far as I am concerned you put your self out there and even stated that you wanted to talk about these shoes because they're kind of odd. We thought they were kinda stupid and made fun of the shoes. Not you.

If you wanna be all butthurt then go somewhere else. When you're on the internet you need to have your thick skin because trolls are everywhere. Not that I have noticed any real trolling but really your not making your self look very smart by overreacting like this at all.

Claiming that we're not very open minded and conformist, because we don't like your shoes is pretty idiotic. And before you say I'm being rude, just remember you claimed we were close minded and conformist about us first for not liking your shoes and having a laugh at these very odd pieces of foot wear.

I for one, don't like your shoes I think they look stupid. I am not a conformist. I am very open minded, and I workout everyday.
I find it very odd how you say this is the internet, where trolls are plentiful, like you're taking it as a fact of life. However, when a person states their point of view in a pretty calm way, you go all douche. Get your priorities straight. No one overreacted but you. At least I had something to defend, you just look like you wanted to start some **** with somebody. And this isn't 4chan. I expect a higher level of discussion from ZU. Not that much higher, but a little.

You don't have to like my shoes; I never demanded that. Hell, why would I even expect that? (drawing conclusions, are we?) You can at least do your research and understand why I wear them. Publicly posting "LMFAO" at a picture of someone is not what I call a very nice thing. Am I really so silly for not liking that. This thread is also about the function of the shoes. Did you not notice that?

In the end it comes down to me not appreciating my shoes being made fun of in such an immature way. And you, I don't know... You just seem to have a bug up your ass. I kind of have the high ground here. Feel free to continue, though.

Also, if you work out , then this might be of interest: http://extremehumanperformance.com/b...-modern-shoes/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbo
I barely even need to look at them to know they'd make terrible hiking shoes. No ankle support.
I guess I'll find out. But, think about it for a second. Humans evolved on this planet for this terrain. I doubt ankle support is needed except for by those who have come to depend on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnf
I was disagreeing with that statement -- I think it looks ridiculous. These shoes being "new" has nothing to do with how fashionable they look. Maybe if you had stated "I like wearing these shoes because I tend to go running up Mt. Everest and I want to do it as close to barefoot as I can, minus the frostbite." I'd get it -- but I don't really know anyone who goes hiking in a pair of grey pipeliners.

I mean, you named the thread "What is that on your feet!?", so you must've been expecting some negative feedback.

Sorry I don't think your shoes are that great, broseph. I'd rather a pair of pumps or comfortable sneaker any day.
I don't know anyone who does that either; I don't recall saying I hiked in the grey pipeliners. I just think they look great with the shoes. And yes, I expected some "ew" reactions, however, I did not expect a sudden bombardment of jeers.

I'd expect the majority of the world to hate these shoes, but I'd also expect a dense highschooler to say what some peeps said..
Last Edited by Earth; 04-28-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness, ninja, shoes, vibram