Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2009, 07:31 AM
View Posts: 12,150
Re: High School Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furii View Post
Actually the thing about the bus is he doesn't take a bus, because he feels too tired waking up that early. I suppose if I could get a ride, I'd take that too.
Deal with it or go to bed earlier. Look, punishment may not be fair, I know how that feels, but when it comes down to it, he's still in control of wether or not he will be punished.
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2009, 10:39 AM
sudo !!
View Posts: 6,294

The main point of this isn't how the kid will get to school on time, because we're quickly realising that it's just not going to happen. What's really the issue is how the school is going about punishing tardies.

I completely understand schools that choose to deny you the credit if you miss a certain number of classes without proper reason. That's how my school is run. However I cannot condone the school abusing it's power to start deducting from the grade every time the kid is late if he is keeping up in class and doing well on tests. The reason we go to school is to recieve education so we aren't completely ignorant, not testing our ability to be sitting with our butts in the chair before the bell rings. Attendance is not what we drag ourselves to school every day to learn about.

Sure if he's having trouble making it to school early that could cause issues later on, but those are things he can learn from himself and figure out to adjust. Chances are he'll probably choose a career which he doesn't need to be up before the sun is if he knows for sure that waking up early will not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbo View Post
...What? That doesn't make sense.
In America public schools are required to offer transportation to the school to every student. Generally for high schools around my area you don't get a bus if you live within a mile, but if you requested a bus they would have to assign one to pick you up.
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2009, 10:47 AM
View Posts: 12,150

That buissing rule is different in Ontario. For highschool you can't get a bus if you live withing something like 3 km unless you have a really good reason. You also can't get it if you're attending a school for a special program such as IB.
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Noble Keybearer

View Posts: 23,900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber View Post
In America public schools are required to offer transportation to the school to every student. Generally for high schools around my area you don't get a bus if you live within a mile, but if you requested a bus they would have to assign one to pick you up.
Oh. There's not really anything like that here. Students either have to go by car or take normal public transport.

Actually... now that I remember (it's been a while), I seem to recall a bus service the school organised with the local bus company to take people to and from school, driving on a fixed, non-negotiable route.
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2009, 08:41 PM
sudo !!

Quote:
Oh. There's not really anything like that here. Students either have to go by car or take normal public transport.

Actually... now that I remember (it's been a while), I seem to recall a bus service the school organised with the local bus company to take people to and from school, driving on a fixed, non-negotiable route.
Oh, the routes would stay the same. They'd just send the fun special ed short bus to come get you, figuring if you want a ride to school so desperately you shouldn't care who you're surrounded by.
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Silver Lining Silver Lining is a male United States Silver Lining is offline
Excelsior.
View Posts: 3,155

I hate the whole idea of tardiness in schools. I mean, I can see showing up 30 minutes late everyday, that would be ridiculous, but if they show up seconds after the bell rings, for god's sake, leave them be.
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Xeno

View Posts: 20,845

In the real world, if this were a job, your friend would have been fired -- several times over. Don't show up to your job or show up late, you get fired. Don't show up to school or show up late, you don't graduate. That's just the way life works.
Last Edited by Xeno; 10-01-2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Noble Keybearer

Quote:
Oh, the routes would stay the same. They'd just send the fun special ed short bus to come get you, figuring if you want a ride to school so desperately you shouldn't care who you're surrounded by.
Well on American TV shows I see kids getting picked up at their houses. You'll never see that happen here.

For my school, one bus was from a certain shopping centre to school with no stops between (and the reverse), while the other was after school only and went from the school to another school, and then another school again, direct route but with stops only at designated bus-stops. I don't know where it went after the third school.
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2009, 11:55 PM
For Everyone!
Send a message via Yahoo to Metropolis Send a message via Skype™ to Metropolis
View Posts: 927

I think your friend needs to get hos priorities straight. He's too tired - lazy - to catch a bus in the morning, but he'll spend that much time on how he looks? His fault.
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-02-2009, 09:58 PM
sudo !!

Quote:
Well on American TV shows I see kids getting picked up at their houses. You'll never see that happen here.

For my school, one bus was from a certain shopping centre to school with no stops between (and the reverse), while the other was after school only and went from the school to another school, and then another school again, direct route but with stops only at designated bus-stops. I don't know where it went after the third school.
The only times I've heard of a kid being picked up at their house is if there is something wrong with them in which they cannot be without supervision for an extended period of time, or if their house is a mile away from the last.

For the most part busses pick up within the neighbourhoods the kids live in, but in designated areas. When I rode the bus I had to walk up 20 some houses to one stop, or 15 houses but up a hill to the other stop (big plots of land between the houses). There's generally one bus per street, however mine has two because of how many friggn people have kids here and we couldn't fit on one bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homosexual View Post
I think your friend needs to get hos priorities straight. He's too tired - lazy - to catch a bus in the morning, but he'll spend that much time on how he looks? His fault.
It might've been me passing over things quickly, but where did Furii mention the kid wastes his time in the morning making himself look good instead of actually leaving? The problem I see is just not having a fast enough pace to get to class. Correct me if I'm mistaken.
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 01:31 AM
Noble Keybearer

Quote:
The only times I've heard of a kid being picked up at their house is if there is something wrong with them in which they cannot be without supervision for an extended period of time, or if their house is a mile away from the last.

For the most part busses pick up within the neighbourhoods the kids live in, but in designated areas. When I rode the bus I had to walk up 20 some houses to one stop, or 15 houses but up a hill to the other stop (big plots of land between the houses). There's generally one bus per street, however mine has two because of how many friggn people have kids here and we couldn't fit on one bus.
Ah.

And... one bus per street? Just how buses do you have per school? o_o
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Golddron Sex Golddron Sex is a male United States Golddron Sex is offline
Thank you
View Posts: 5,139

The pushiment seems a bit steep to me. However, unless it is impossible for him to get there on time, he should try a little harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanchemike View Post
pokefags woke the dragon and are gonna find out they're not weak to ice types
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 10:38 PM
sudo !!

Quote:
Ah.

And... one bus per street? Just how buses do you have per school? o_o
Last I counted, 30 some. There are a little more than 1500 students.
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Noble Keybearer

Quote:
Last I counted, 30 some. There are a little more than 1500 students.
Wow. Ten times the buses for five times the students.
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Kokiri
View Posts: 64

You'd think he'd get his ass to school on time after the first time they forced him to go to summer school..

I'm always late, too. Every year of high school thus far I've had to have an appeal with a counsel of teachers explaining why I had been late so many times and then they voted to decide whether or not I could keep credit I'd earned that year. If you don't have any type of behavioral problems they usually vote in favor. And if you're late more than 6 times now and under the age of 16 you have to go to court I think..

Tardiness and credit should not even be related. Who cares what time you get there as long as you're doing the work and earning your grade?? Ridiculous..
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Noble Keybearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKeekuhhh View Post
And if you're late more than 6 times now and under the age of 16 you have to go to court I think..
I'd be surprised. I bet it's just propaganda.
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Kokiri
View Posts: 64

Quote:
I'd be surprised. I bet it's just propaganda.
Yeahh I would think so. More like one of those rules no one can be bothered to enforce... unless the principal dislikes you, which would make them a ****

Modly edit: Please don't avoid the swear filter.
Last Edited by Xeno; 10-04-2009 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote

Tags
credits, high, school