Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Mattocks Canada Mattocks is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada State
View Posts: 12,150
Re: High School Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furii View Post
Actually the thing about the bus is he doesn't take a bus, because he feels too tired waking up that early. I suppose if I could get a ride, I'd take that too.
Deal with it or go to bed earlier. Look, punishment may not be fair, I know how that feels, but when it comes down to it, he's still in control of wether or not he will be punished.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Saber Saber is offline
sudo !!
Join Date: Jul 2006
View Posts: 6,294
Re: High School Credits

The main point of this isn't how the kid will get to school on time, because we're quickly realising that it's just not going to happen. What's really the issue is how the school is going about punishing tardies.

I completely understand schools that choose to deny you the credit if you miss a certain number of classes without proper reason. That's how my school is run. However I cannot condone the school abusing it's power to start deducting from the grade every time the kid is late if he is keeping up in class and doing well on tests. The reason we go to school is to recieve education so we aren't completely ignorant, not testing our ability to be sitting with our butts in the chair before the bell rings. Attendance is not what we drag ourselves to school every day to learn about.

Sure if he's having trouble making it to school early that could cause issues later on, but those are things he can learn from himself and figure out to adjust. Chances are he'll probably choose a career which he doesn't need to be up before the sun is if he knows for sure that waking up early will not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbo View Post
...What? That doesn't make sense.
In America public schools are required to offer transportation to the school to every student. Generally for high schools around my area you don't get a bus if you live within a mile, but if you requested a bus they would have to assign one to pick you up.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Mattocks Canada Mattocks is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada State
View Posts: 12,150
Re: High School Credits

That buissing rule is different in Ontario. For highschool you can't get a bus if you live withing something like 3 km unless you have a really good reason. You also can't get it if you're attending a school for a special program such as IB.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Sabbo Australia Sabbo is offline
Noble Keybearer


Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: c/20,000Lea
View Posts: 23,900
Re: High School Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber View Post
In America public schools are required to offer transportation to the school to every student. Generally for high schools around my area you don't get a bus if you live within a mile, but if you requested a bus they would have to assign one to pick you up.
Oh. There's not really anything like that here. Students either have to go by car or take normal public transport.



Actually... now that I remember (it's been a while), I seem to recall a bus service the school organised with the local bus company to take people to and from school, driving on a fixed, non-negotiable route.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Saber Saber is offline
sudo !!
Join Date: Jul 2006
View Posts: 6,294
Re: High School Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbo View Post
Oh. There's not really anything like that here. Students either have to go by car or take normal public transport.



Actually... now that I remember (it's been a while), I seem to recall a bus service the school organised with the local bus company to take people to and from school, driving on a fixed, non-negotiable route.
Oh, the routes would stay the same. They'd just send the fun special ed short bus to come get you, figuring if you want a ride to school so desperately you shouldn't care who you're surrounded by.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Silver Lining Silver Lining is a male United States Silver Lining is offline
Excelsior.
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Florida
View Posts: 3,155
Re: High School Credits

I hate the whole idea of tardiness in schools. I mean, I can see showing up 30 minutes late everyday, that would be ridiculous, but if they show up seconds after the bell rings, for god's sake, leave them be.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Xeno Xeno is a male Xeno is offline
Send a message via Skype™ to Xeno

Join Date: Jan 2006
View Posts: 20,845
Re: High School Credits

In the real world, if this were a job, your friend would have been fired -- several times over. Don't show up to your job or show up late, you get fired. Don't show up to school or show up late, you don't graduate. That's just the way life works.
__________________
Last Edited by Xeno; 10-01-2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Sabbo Australia Sabbo is offline
Noble Keybearer


Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: c/20,000Lea
View Posts: 23,900
Re: High School Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber View Post
Oh, the routes would stay the same. They'd just send the fun special ed short bus to come get you, figuring if you want a ride to school so desperately you shouldn't care who you're surrounded by.
Well on American TV shows I see kids getting picked up at their houses. You'll never see that happen here.

For my school, one bus was from a certain shopping centre to school with no stops between (and the reverse), while the other was after school only and went from the school to another school, and then another school again, direct route but with stops only at designated bus-stops. I don't know where it went after the third school.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Metropolis Metropolis is a male United States Metropolis is offline
For Everyone!
Send a message via Yahoo to Metropolis Send a message via Skype™ to Metropolis
Join Date: Nov 2006
View Posts: 927
Re: High School Credits

I think your friend needs to get hos priorities straight. He's too tired - lazy - to catch a bus in the morning, but he'll spend that much time on how he looks? His fault.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Saber Saber is offline
sudo !!
Join Date: Jul 2006
View Posts: 6,294
Re: High School Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbo View Post
Well on American TV shows I see kids getting picked up at their houses. You'll never see that happen here.

For my school, one bus was from a certain shopping centre to school with no stops between (and the reverse), while the other was after school only and went from the school to another school, and then another school again, direct route but with stops only at designated bus-stops. I don't know where it went after the third school.
The only times I've heard of a kid being picked up at their house is if there is something wrong with them in which they cannot be without supervision for an extended period of time, or if their house is a mile away from the last.

For the most part busses pick up within the neighbourhoods the kids live in, but in designated areas. When I rode the bus I had to walk up 20 some houses to one stop, or 15 houses but up a hill to the other stop (big plots of land between the houses). There's generally one bus per street, however mine has two because of how many friggn people have kids here and we couldn't fit on one bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homosexual View Post
I think your friend needs to get hos priorities straight. He's too tired - lazy - to catch a bus in the morning, but he'll spend that much time on how he looks? His fault.
It might've been me passing over things quickly, but where did Furii mention the kid wastes his time in the morning making himself look good instead of actually leaving? The problem I see is just not having a fast enough pace to get to class. Correct me if I'm mistaken.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 01:31 AM
Sabbo Australia Sabbo is offline
Noble Keybearer


Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: c/20,000Lea
View Posts: 23,900
Re: High School Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber View Post
The only times I've heard of a kid being picked up at their house is if there is something wrong with them in which they cannot be without supervision for an extended period of time, or if their house is a mile away from the last.

For the most part busses pick up within the neighbourhoods the kids live in, but in designated areas. When I rode the bus I had to walk up 20 some houses to one stop, or 15 houses but up a hill to the other stop (big plots of land between the houses). There's generally one bus per street, however mine has two because of how many friggn people have kids here and we couldn't fit on one bus.
Ah.

And... one bus per street? Just how buses do you have per school? o_o
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Golddron Sex Golddron Sex is a male United States Golddron Sex is offline
Thank you
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lady Sunshine
View Posts: 5,139
Re: High School Credits

The pushiment seems a bit steep to me. However, unless it is impossible for him to get there on time, he should try a little harder.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanchemike View Post
pokefags woke the dragon and are gonna find out they're not weak to ice types
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Saber Saber is offline
sudo !!
Join Date: Jul 2006
View Posts: 6,294
Re: High School Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbo View Post
Ah.

And... one bus per street? Just how buses do you have per school? o_o
Last I counted, 30 some. There are a little more than 1500 students.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Sabbo Australia Sabbo is offline
Noble Keybearer


Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: c/20,000Lea
View Posts: 23,900
Re: High School Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber View Post
Last I counted, 30 some. There are a little more than 1500 students.
Wow. Ten times the buses for five times the students.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2009, 12:17 AM
MissKeekuhhh MissKeekuhhh is a female MissKeekuhhh is offline
Kokiri
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: outskirts of incognito
View Posts: 64
Re: High School Credits

You'd think he'd get his ass to school on time after the first time they forced him to go to summer school..

I'm always late, too. Every year of high school thus far I've had to have an appeal with a counsel of teachers explaining why I had been late so many times and then they voted to decide whether or not I could keep credit I'd earned that year. If you don't have any type of behavioral problems they usually vote in favor. And if you're late more than 6 times now and under the age of 16 you have to go to court I think..

Tardiness and credit should not even be related. Who cares what time you get there as long as you're doing the work and earning your grade?? Ridiculous..
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Sabbo Australia Sabbo is offline
Noble Keybearer


Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: c/20,000Lea
View Posts: 23,900
Re: High School Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKeekuhhh View Post
And if you're late more than 6 times now and under the age of 16 you have to go to court I think..
I'd be surprised. I bet it's just propaganda.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2009, 12:26 AM
MissKeekuhhh MissKeekuhhh is a female MissKeekuhhh is offline
Kokiri
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: outskirts of incognito
View Posts: 64
Re: High School Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbo View Post
I'd be surprised. I bet it's just propaganda.
Yeahh I would think so. More like one of those rules no one can be bothered to enforce... unless the principal dislikes you, which would make them a ****

Modly edit: Please don't avoid the swear filter.
Last Edited by Xeno; 10-04-2009 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
credits, high, school


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -