Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-18-2009, 02:15 AM
[Cartoon]--Link [Cartoon]--Link is a male United States [Cartoon]--Link is offline
Kokiri
View Posts: 95
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

guys....pretty much all zelda games follow the same process. learn your mission,go to dungeons, solve almost all the same puzzles, get sacred items, meet zelda, get more sacred items, fight ganondorf. alttp and oot are almost the same exact game story wise !

really the weirdest games in the series are the handheld ones.

thats why we love it. now can we all hug?

word. Thanks Ozzie Pants for the sig!
"No! He would kill you like a small dog. Let your anger be as a monkey in a pińata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick!"
Master Tang
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-18-2009, 02:22 AM
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
View Posts: 4,314

@ OP title.

Rollgoal.

nuff said.

#43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-18-2009, 03:17 AM
CONSTANT VIGILANCE
Send a message via AIM to Abyss Master Send a message via Skype™ to Abyss Master
Steam ID: AbyssMaster91 Wii U ID: TomOlav
View Posts: 4,878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
"Creativity" isn't the word.

The word is "originality".
You managed to replace a word, however my statement somehow still stands just as strong as it did before. Rather peculiar, isn't it?
  #44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-18-2009, 03:30 AM
Think different.
Steam ID: barker09 Wii U ID: Amazin-Spidey
View Posts: 7,876

The game was good. I enjoyed it. Compared to most Zelda titles it wasn't alll that great though.

Join me and like-minded ZU'ers in the Sport, Health, and Fitness Thread to create a support group to inspire and motivate others to reach their health, fitness, and wellness goals!
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-18-2009, 07:06 AM
The Regginator The Regginator is a male New Zealand The Regginator is offline
Ass-Kicker, Name-Taker
Send a message via Skype™ to The Regginator
Wii U ID: 80espiay
View Posts: 13,888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss Master View Post
You managed to replace a word, however my statement somehow still stands just as strong as it did before. Rather peculiar, isn't it?
I don't see how. "TP lacked originality", let's see...

OoT brought Zelda into 3D and introduced revolutionary gameplay mechanics and other new stuff.

MM had the whole mask thing and the time limit mechanic, which were pretty damn creative (and original).

WW had the most vibrant art style I've seen in a Zelda game (and it was pretty original for Zelda). The colors were bright, the difficulty was about right and it was my favourite Ganondorf appearance. WW also introduced the sailing thing, which could have been a bit more refined, but it was still pretty original. This also allowed it to have a more open-feeling overworld, as well as one that had more in it. It also hid loading times.

TP is the fourth 3D Zelda, you'd think by then Nintendo would have put more originality into it. Each of the Zelda games, especially the 3D ones, had something about them that was "original", at least for the Zelda series. TP had nothing.

A Fedora || "Rex" || Bored? || PM me to join the Mario Kart 8 Skype group
Quote:
[8:29:31 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: so I ran away cos 40 year old women are not attractive
[8:29:40 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: but it was a dream so I couldnt run
Last Edited by The Regginator; 09-18-2009 at 07:08 AM. Reason:
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-18-2009, 07:17 AM
DIE THE DEATH! SENTANCE TO DEATH! GREAT EQUALIZER IS DEATH!
Send a message via Skype™ to Snow_Storm
Steam ID: the_snow_storm
View Posts: 9,458

Why the hell fanboys can't understand that people have their opinions?

The affluenza made me do it
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-18-2009, 07:19 AM
CONSTANT VIGILANCE
Send a message via AIM to Abyss Master Send a message via Skype™ to Abyss Master
Steam ID: AbyssMaster91 Wii U ID: TomOlav
View Posts: 4,878

Quote:
I don't see how. "TP lacked originality", let's see...
Actually, the statement was "had NO creativity", so you are at fault there.

Quote:
MM had the whole mask thing and the time limit mechanic, which were pretty damn creative (and original).
But masks were a step forward from what we saw in OoT, not an entirely new idea in its own (ergo comparable to, say, horseriding in TP - roughly the same as earlier, but with new uses applied to it). The time mechanic was an original idea, yes.

In fact, you'd be better off pointing out the setting of MM - that's what was truly original about it.

Quote:
WW had the most vibrant art style I've seen in a Zelda game (and it was pretty original for Zelda). The colors were bright, the difficulty was about right and it was my favourite Ganondorf appearance.
What does this have to do with originality?

Quote:
WW also introduced the sailing thing, which could have been a bit more refined, but it was still pretty original.
A unique idea, yes.

Quote:
This also allowed it to have a more open-feeling overworld, as well as one that had more in it. It also hid loading times.
But that's... irrelevant.

Quote:
TP is the fourth 3D Zelda, you'd think by then Nintendo would have put more originality into it. Each of the Zelda games, especially the 3D ones, had something about them that was "original", at least for the Zelda series. TP had nothing.
TP had the twilight. TP had the wolf. TP had the Twili. TP had the Oocca. TP had the Yetis (Yeto and Yeta). TP put old items to new uses. TP introduced new items.

It's definitely a traditional game, but I'd think twice before saying that "TP had nothing". That would be a flat out lie.
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Hylian Warlord
View Posts: 3,666

Quote:

WW had the most vibrant art style I've seen in a Zelda game (and it was pretty original for Zelda). The colors were bright, the difficulty was about right and it was my favourite Ganondorf appearance.
This is what confuses me. IMO WW and TP were pretty much the same when it came to a relatively EASY difficulty for both games. Except the rabid fanboys cry and moan over TP being easy and WW just gets a free pass. Talk about double standards. With that said I'm OK with the rest of your argument.

I admit TP was a bit much on the whole ALTTP/OOT hybrid rehash. But I clearly remember that when WW came out, the whiners and complainers were clamoring for such a game. Then when they got it they still cried and moaned over something they wanted in the first place. And that is exactly why the most diehard of the Zelda fandom will NEVER be satisfied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhelm View Post
polygamy is legal in Hyrule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldaZealot View Post
No! Link will be a pedophile in the child timeline mark ZeldaZealot words!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnorv View Post
the Hero of Time was, technically, truly retarded.
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-18-2009, 12:08 PM
-
View Posts: 8,224

Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are about the same difficultly wise, with TP being maybe a little harder, but not much.
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi! I'm Cukeman!
View Posts: 4,178

Actually I found enemy difficulty higher in TP than the one or two random slashes
it took to take down OoT enemies.
  #51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-18-2009, 04:05 PM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist
View Posts: 8,872

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cukeman View Post
Actually I found enemy difficulty higher in TP than the one or two random slashes
it took to take down OoT enemies.
True, but at least OoT enemies tried to hit back.
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-18-2009, 04:15 PM
-
View Posts: 8,224

Like everything in TP takes 3 slashes, kinda pathetic.
  #53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
Hveđrungr
3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

View Posts: 22,235

When the new Zelda Wii comes out, i think people will change their opinions on TP. Its a trend i noticed. After OoT came out, Zelda fans got all topsy-turvy. Everyone loved OoT of course. When Majora's Mask came out, people hated it. Seriously, they did. Then Wind Waker came out and people loved Majora's Mask and hated WW. hmmm...Then TP came out and people loved Wind Waker and hated TP. see where this is going?

Im one of those people who found stuff to appreciate in each game.

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ You can still PM me for the clan test!
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
  #54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-18-2009, 06:12 PM
BloodRawKnuckle BloodRawKnuckle is a male United States BloodRawKnuckle is offline
I am the Video Game Engine of War!!
View Posts: 1,341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrag View Post
True, but at least OoT enemies tried to hit back.
Among the three that could hit.
  #55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Ass-Kicker, Name-Taker

Quote:
Actually, the statement was "had NO creativity", so you are at fault there.
I "changed one word", remember?

Every game worth something required creativity, so to say that TP had no creativity would be pretty stupid.

Quote:
But masks were a step forward from what we saw in OoT, not an entirely new idea in its own (ergo comparable to, say, horseriding in TP - roughly the same as earlier, but with new uses applied to it). The time mechanic was an original idea, yes.
Are you seriously comparing MM's transformation mechanic to the Horse-riding mechanic in TP?

If anything, it would be more comparable to the Wolf Transformation. And even then, the MM transformation masks were used in many diferent ways, and they were actually used in ways that made them seem meaningful, and they were used far more often than the Wolf transformation in TP. The Wolf mechanic was somewhat unnecesary (fancy jumping, lens of truth, area-of-effect attack were all the Wolf form brought in, and they weren't even used that often)

Quote:
What does this have to do with originality?
For Zelda, the artstyle in WW was pretty damn original.

Quote:
But that's... irrelevant.
I guess I'm just pissed off at TP's overworld. WW had more in it, OoT had a more open-feeling overworld (not being able to see the edge made it feel open) and MM was too short to even bother with a decent overworld, and its overworld was still pretty good.

Quote:
TP had the twilight. TP had the wolf. TP had the Twili. TP had the Oocca. TP had the Yetis (Yeto and Yeta). TP put old items to new uses. TP introduced new items.
Let's break this down.

TP had lots of new things, to be sure, but none of them were original, or truly inspired. TP didn't introduce any new gameplay mechanics, only a couple of items that were barely used.

Quote:
TP had the twilight.
Light World-Dark World. Where have I seen this before? Oh wait, even OoT had something similar.

This is a story element, which had a rather negative effect on the gameplay (bug hunts, linearity). So naturally, I hate it.

Quote:
TP had the wolf.
... which was completely unnecessary.

Quote:
TP had the Twili. TP had the Oocca. TP had the Yetis (Yeto and Yeta).
TP introduced two new races? That's twice as many as past 3D Zeldas!!! OMGZNOWAI TP IZ ORIGINAL NAO!!!!

I don't give a damn about story elements, and when people look for originality in a game, they don't look at the story.

Quote:
TP put old items to new uses. TP introduced new items.
But no original gameplay mechanics. OoT had the whole 3D thing, MM had the whole "multiple personalities" and WW had the sailing.

And even when the items did become original, they were so barely used it wasn't funny.

My point is, we were justified in expecting more from a game which was preceded by OoT, MM and WW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganonslayer2000 View Post
This is what confuses me. IMO WW and TP were pretty much the same when it came to a relatively EASY difficulty for both games. Except the rabid fanboys cry and moan over TP being easy and WW just gets a free pass. Talk about double standards. With that said I'm OK with the rest of your argument.
IMO, WW was at least twice as hard as TP.

Quote:
I admit TP was a bit much on the whole ALTTP/OOT hybrid rehash. But I clearly remember that when WW came out, the whiners and complainers were clamoring for such a game. Then when they got it they still cried and moaned over something they wanted in the first place. And that is exactly why the most diehard of the Zelda fandom will NEVER be satisfied.
The first Zelda I played was OoT, but I was such a little boy back then, and I was scared of all the monsters, so I just left it and decided to watch my dad play. The first I actually finished was WW. The second I finished was TP.

I played WW, and I actually enjoyed it (apart from the triforce hunt). But TP felt like a chore to complete. I actually didn't want to play the game again.

After I finished TP, I went straight onto OoT from the VC (my N64 version went no-save on me). I still enjoyed it more than TP. Right now, I'm completing MM (but I have to finish Okami first).

As you can see, I'm not blinded by much of the Zelda fandom going around. I actually thought OoT was a better game than TP.

Quote:
[8:29:31 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: so I ran away cos 40 year old women are not attractive
Last Edited by The Regginator; 09-18-2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason:
  #56 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-18-2009, 09:04 PM
the battler
Send a message via AIM to TheBattler
View Posts: 1,105

Personally, I don't like TP because it's a culmination of what fanboys back when OoT came out wanted out of the next Zelda.

At the time, Final Fantasy VII and Ocarina of Time were being endlessly compared. Eventually, people lost sight of what Zelda was, and wanted everything that made Final Fantasy VII unique to be implemented in Zelda. Epic cutscenes (check), more story (check), a bigger lake (lol check), a bigger world, more horseback riding, more characters, etc.

TP ended up being too much like other games and not enough like Zelda.

You rarely used the dungeon items outside of the dungeon they were in (Spinner, Dominion Rod, Gale Boomerang), one dungeon item you barely used at all (the Ball and Chain), and one dungeon item in particular seemed like a "deus ex machina" for certain situations (The Spinner). And that's very sad, because all of the items were new and awesome, but rarely used.

The game was entirely linear. You had this amazing overworld, but it was mostly linear, and the game held your hand when it came time to show you where to go next.

You obtained so many Heart Containers and Hidden Techniques, but who were the enemies to use them on? Wussies who did 1 heart damage at most and were dispatched with a couple of slashes with the sword. I remember the Iron Knuckles doing 4 hearts damage in OoT and the Darknuts doing 2 hearts damage in WW, but the Darknuts in TP did 1 damage, and would occasionally perform an attack that did 1/4 of a heart.

You gained a new way to roam around and some new mechanics (the Wolf), but was it used for anything much after the Twilight disappeared from the area? A couple of spots where you had to sniff the scent of the next objective (the Pos in the Arbiter's Ground, Yeto while going up to Snowpeak), but that was all.
  #57 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Zeldablue777 Zeldablue777 is a female United States Zeldablue777 is offline
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,851

Twilight Princess had a huge Western theme. The game was completely directed to the American audience after America's feedback to Wind Waker. (Which was bad) Everything from indians to cowboys, sci fi elements (the Twilight) to just about everything OoT and ALttP (America's most loved Zelda games) That was it's aim, and I will admit TP is the "coolest" or most "epic" Zelda game and it's simply fun. I actually had FUN playing Twilight Princess, and I can't say I really had a "Haha! YAY!" Moments while playing TWW.

TP was way harder than TWW. I've seen many game over screens...my friends are a bit sloppy at playing, but in TWW the game over screen is still a mystery to everyone. =/ I died in the beginning of TP 14 times in a row while playing real late on a school night. Not normal gameovers...INSTANT game overs, my persistence was literally killing me. D= Sure the game gets easy really fast, but it is definitely brutal to newcomers.

X-play said it was their favorite or best Zelda ever.

Even Eiji Aonuma points out the the game lacks a deep, strong theme. Instead the game has loads and loads of tiny things that made it really fun. Notice I say fun. I loved the sumo wrestling, the snow boarding, the hidding skills, the horseback fighting, the bomb arrowing, Stallord...it just kills me when I realize other Zelda games don't have those things...because they were simple joys for me.

The Twilight effect was beautiful. One of my favorite scenes in any game ever...is in TP when they crash a rock onto the frozen domain. I Just loved the water effects in the twilight. It was sooo awesome. Comparing bland solid colored paint from TWW to what was seen in TP is just...ah, aggravating. I really do love TP, and it's just sad how fans can't look at it the way it was suppose to be seen.

The game still gives me chills.
Last Edited by Zeldablue777; 09-19-2009 at 12:11 AM. Reason:
  #58 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Hylian Warlord

Quote:
The first Zelda I played was OoT, but I was such a little boy back then, and I was scared of all the monsters, so I just left it and decided to watch my dad play. The first I actually finished was WW. The second I finished was TP.

I played WW, and I actually enjoyed it (apart from the triforce hunt). But TP felt like a chore to complete. I actually didn't want to play the game again.

After I finished TP, I went straight onto OoT from the VC (my N64 version went no-save on me). I still enjoyed it more than TP. Right now, I'm completing MM (but I have to finish Okami first).

As you can see, I'm not blinded by much of the Zelda fandom going around. I actually thought OoT was a better game than TP.
Even though IMO TP was the better game over WW, there were some things about WW that I liked better than TP. Such as the better characterizations of Link and Ganon. But I preferred riding around on Epona than I did sailing in WW as it was ungodly boring and tedious IMO. To me WW felt more like a chore to complete since I was actually more interested enough with the replay value in TP to complete it 100% on two save files.

In WW after I beat the game, I had no desire whatsoever to find all the treasure maps, heart pieces, or do the stupid figurine sidequest at all. With that said WW was a good Zelda game to play, its just I liked TP better despite its obvious flaws.

When it comes to fanboyism, WW is usually highly overrated and made out to be a lot better than it really was IMO. I also think the fanboys make WAAAY too much of an issue on TP's flaws which IMO are relatively minor and trivial.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Last Edited by Ganonslayer2000; 09-19-2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason:
  #59 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 12:29 AM
Ass-Kicker, Name-Taker

Quote:
When it comes to fanboyism, WW is usually highly overrated and made out to be a lot better than it really was IMO. I also think the fanboys make WAAAY too much of an issue on TP's flaws which IMO are relatively minor and trivial.
Really? I seem to recall it being the other way around...

Quote:
  #60 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-19-2009, 12:40 AM
Hylian Warlord

True...both WW and TP have their rabid fanboys. But it seems there is a lot more TP hate threads nowadays than WW hate threads.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Closed Thread

Tags
hell, people, twilight princess