Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #221 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Link92 Link92 is a male United States Link92 is offline
Sage of Wisdom
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In ur base, killin ur doodz
View Posts: 1,110
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A
ALttP introduced puzzles to Zelda, did it not?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A
Because, in all honesty, TP just felt like another OoT. All it needed was one "gimmick".
Wolf form. Oh, what's that? You didn't like wolf form? Well, there goes your argument about gimmicks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A
What? Horse fighting? Unless you felt like goofing off in Hyrule Field, Horse Fighting wasn't used very often.
Isn't the point of Zelda to explore and stab bad guys? Why the hell wouldn't you feel like goofing off in Hyrule Field? I think you're completely missing the point about Zelda games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A
Besides, it's not like Horse Fighting was wildly original, you could shoot arrows from your horse in OoT/MM.
Lol yes, with horrible clunkiness and the complete lack of the ability to use your sword. All of which TP fixed, by the way. And stop being a ****ing hypocrite. You could wear masks in OoT. Why was it so original for you in MM? Because MM expanded on it and made it better. That's what TP did with every aspect of OoT. And yet you completely ignore that while singing the never ending praises of MM for doing the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A
Spinner? I can count the times it was used outside of its dungeon on my hand.
Wow. You have eight fingers on one hand?

Two overworld puzzles
Two Temple of Time situations
Two City in the Sky situations
One Cave of Ordeals situation
One Hyrule Castle situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A
Dominion rod? Used a couple of times outside the ToT, most of them were for the same thing.
It requires creativity on the part of the player. It's used for one of the longest quests in the game, and I often put it to go use by using it to get to the top of the Bridge of Eldin and killing the Bulblins from where they can't reach me. If you lack the creativity to put it to good use, whose fault is that? Hint: Not the game's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A
Ball-and-Chain? Used to smash ice. That's it. I'd say that it wasn't particularly effective in combat, but all the enemies took forever to decide to attack you could probably load the Ball-and-Chain, miss, load it again, and hit the enemy with it because they were so goddamn slow!
It completely replaced normal bombs. The Ball and Chain was for that reason very useful. You can also use it as an alternative to the Hero's Bow in the Beast Ganon fight. How's that for freedom and non-linearity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A
Double Clawshots? I'll give you this one because the DCs were easily my favourite item in all of the Zelda series. But they were still hardly used.
They were perhaps the most widely used puzzle items in the entire game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A
TP didn't introduce new gameplay (like its 3D predecessors). You could say that TP lacked originality in the gameplay department because of the low number of original puzzles that used these original items.
TP perfected gameplay and added motion controls. What would you rather have? A game with completely new but questionable innovation, or a game with traditional and perfect gameplay?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A
You call them "gimmicks", I call them "shreds of originality".
Wolf form. Which you probably didn't like. So congratulations, you're now part of the unpleasable fanbase.
__________________
  #222 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 06:34 PM
My Melo My Melo is offline
Serious Discussion: ( | ) <--It is an anus.
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Buffitude Gym
View Posts: 146
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
ALttP introduced puzzles to Zelda, did it not?
Quoted because it is funny.
__________________

A buff ass man
  #223 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Guest
View Posts: n/a
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link92 View Post
Two overworld puzzles
Two Temple of Time situations
Two City in the Sky situations
One Cave of Ordeals situation
One Hyrule Castle situation
One hidden chest
One hidden grotto
Fix'd
  #224 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Tigerboi Tigerboi is a male United States Tigerboi is offline
ZU fighting game guru.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerboi
Join Date: Jul 2004
View Posts: 5,061
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

The spinner is the Mirror shield of TP.
  #225 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Jeff Jeff is a male United States Jeff is offline
10 years is here!!
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Buffalo, New York
View Posts: 12,302
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

More like the Double Clawshot is the Mirror Shield of TP.

Because, as established, the Spinner is used plenty after the Arbiter's Grounds.
Last Edited by Jeff; 09-24-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason:
  #226 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Scarrrrr Australia Scarrrrr is offline

Join Date: Jan 2009
View Posts: 10,461
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

Off the top of my head, I think the double clawshot is used in the following areas outside of The City in the Sky:

- To get to a treasure chest in field just south of Hyrule castle
- To get to a Piece of Heart in Eldin Gorge
- To advance further in the Cave of Ordeals
- To progress through Hyrule Castle

There might be other areas as well that I've forgotten. It was the last dungeon item obtained in the game, much as the mirror shield was one of the last objects in Ocarina of Time, so having only four uses outside of its own Temple is understandable.
__________________
  #227 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Jeff Jeff is a male United States Jeff is offline
10 years is here!!
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Buffalo, New York
View Posts: 12,302
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

Trust me, I wasn't criticizing it or anything.
  #228 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Scarrrrr Australia Scarrrrr is offline

Join Date: Jan 2009
View Posts: 10,461
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

Oh sure. I really posted the uses of the double clawshot more for reference than anything, and to see if I could remember where it was used. I actually find it somewhat surprising that it was even used four times outside of the City in the Sky, given how late in the game it was obtained. To my knowledge, I don't think the mirror shield in Ocarina of Time was used that many times outside of the Spirit Temple.
__________________
  #229 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Zeldablue777 Zeldablue777 is a female United States Zeldablue777 is offline
Light Spirit
Join Date: Jul 2008
View Posts: 6,851
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

...I don't think it's the lack of use that upsets people who need to nitpick at TP's stuff. It's more like, we enjoy items that can be used on anything. The Spinner can only be used for special situations same goes for the double claw shot. But I use the ball and chain for almost everything and anyhing because it doesn't require any rails or fences.

For instance I hated the grappling hook...well mostly because you had to watch the same freakin' scene of the rope going around a branch every freakin' time you threw it...but also because it didn't have much use outside that. Many years later realized you could steal things with the grapple hook and now I always have it out. =/

Every Zelda has that one item that I obsess over. in TWW it's the boomerang, in TP it's the arrows and in OoT it's the longshot...love the longshot, it was too awesome.
__________________
Last Edited by Zeldablue777; 09-24-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason:
  #230 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Scarrrrr Australia Scarrrrr is offline

Join Date: Jan 2009
View Posts: 10,461
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

^ That's understandable as well, the items that could be used in several situations have also been my favourites. For instance, I think my least favourite item in Ocarina of Time would be the Ice Arrows, since I don't think they ever needed to be used at any point (the Deku nuts at least were somewhat helpful in stunning Queen Gohma early in the game). Although - can you use the clawshot as a weapon to stun enemies in Twilight Princess as well?

(Oh, and I've just remembered another use for the double clawshot - the STAR game).
__________________
  #231 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Ganty Ganty is offline
Thief
Join Date: May 2009
View Posts: 279
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

I don't get how anyone can hate this game.
It had Midna in it.

She has become a very popular character, and Twililight Princess had her story in it, which is one of the most developed stories in the Zelda series.
  #232 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Zeldablue777 Zeldablue777 is a female United States Zeldablue777 is offline
Light Spirit
Join Date: Jul 2008
View Posts: 6,851
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

Yeahhh, but anyone who didn't like Midna, hated the story. I didn't grow to like her until AFTER she almost died from Zant. xD
__________________
Last Edited by Zeldablue777; 09-24-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason:
  #233 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Scarrrrr Australia Scarrrrr is offline

Join Date: Jan 2009
View Posts: 10,461
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

In all honesty, Midna is probably my favourite character in the Zelda series. Her vivacity and her depth of character were like a breath of fresh air.
__________________
  #234 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Tigerboi Tigerboi is a male United States Tigerboi is offline
ZU fighting game guru.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerboi
Join Date: Jul 2004
View Posts: 5,061
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

the longshot was gay.

Ok, not a in a sense in which it was useless, because it wasn't. But it's very concept is retarded. And it's other reason I hate OoT's water temple.

"You got a LONGER CHAIN FOR YOUR HOOKSHOT!"

"....Really? that's it?"

"YES!"

"Why exactly didn't you just make the hookshot have this kind of reach when I first got it, and instead designed the water temple around a totally new item?"

"because....uh....silence."


At least the double clawshots gave you a new function. Piece of **** longshot.
  #235 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Jeff Jeff is a male United States Jeff is offline
10 years is here!!
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Buffalo, New York
View Posts: 12,302
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

Don't you remember, Tiger? It gave you control over the water levels!!!

Which turned out to be lifeless and tedious after five minutes.
__________________
Echoes of Light: Book 1 of the Luminous Legend
A high fantasy book that doesn't switch character perspective every chapter? That doesn't feature done-to-the-death Elves, Dwarves and Orcs, but brand new races? And is heavily inspired by The Legend of Zelda? You might want to check it out! Kindle version only $.99, print version OUT NOW
  #236 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Scarrrrr Australia Scarrrrr is offline

Join Date: Jan 2009
View Posts: 10,461
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

Actually, I didn't mind the hookshot being lengthened to become the longshot in the Water Temple. It was such a badly-needed upgrade, that the hookshot went from being barely used to one of the most important items in Ocarina of Time.

Suppose we had an entirely new item instead - what would you have substituted in the longshot's place?
__________________
  #237 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Alex Alex is a male Alex is offline
-
Join Date: Oct 2004
View Posts: 8,228
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

They definitely could have put a new item in there instead of the longshot, but I love the Water Temple how it is... It's one of my favorite temples in the series. Not sure I'd want them re designing it with a new item in mind.
__________________
No person is whole. No person is free.
Last Edited by Alex; 09-24-2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason:
  #238 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Scarrrrr Australia Scarrrrr is offline

Join Date: Jan 2009
View Posts: 10,461
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
They definitely could have put a new item in there instead of the longshot, but I love the Water Temple how it is... It's one of my favorite temples in the series. Not sure I'd want them re designing it with a new item in mind.
Same here - I think the (original, not Master Quest) Water Temple design is fine as it is.

I imagine that introducing a new item in place of the longshot probably would require a redesign - which I think is pretty unnecessary. However, that's entirely a matter of opinion.
__________________
  #239 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Alex Alex is a male Alex is offline
-
Join Date: Oct 2004
View Posts: 8,228
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

I loved the Master Quest version, too.
__________________
No person is whole. No person is free.
  #240 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Scarrrrr Australia Scarrrrr is offline

Join Date: Jan 2009
View Posts: 10,461
Re: What the hell do people have against Twilight Princess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I loved the Master Quest version, too.
There was a strange flaw in the Master Quest version design...for some reason, I was able to skip most of the Temple to get to the boss.

Also, after I went back to explore the skipped rooms and to collect the extra Skulltula tokens, I swear I ended up with an additional key that didn't really serve any purpose.
__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
hell, people, twilight princess


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -