Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

View Poll Results: Did these tips increase boss difficulty?
Yes 4 50.00%
No 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2007, 02:52 AM
Hyrule defend itself? HAHAHAHA!
View Posts: 4,595
Twilight Princess Boss Challenges *Spoilers*

Inspired by good old Hylian Dan (and not found with any searches,) I've compiled my own ways to make the boss fights in Twilight Princess harder.

For those who didn't read the title fully, SPOILERS AHEAD! BE WARY!

As with Dan's OOT challenges, don't head into the boss room with fairies or blue potions or anything (I guess if you really come close to dying, you could use milk, though you really shouldn't use it.) Make sure you don't have a giant collection of hearts. As additional rules (one of which might have been on Dan's list,) use the Ordon Sword except in fights where it becomes useless, and if you want, don't attack with Z/L Targeting (except for Ganondorf.)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Diababa: When using the boomering, don't keep a constant target on the baboon swinging around in phase two. When he comes by, whip out the 'rang and try to get a lock manually. When he reaches the other side of the room, break the lock. Stay in range of the two "arms" and don't destroy them, so that you will have to stay on the move and take risks with your 'rang.

Fyrus: Only pull out the bow when he starts walking towards you. I've only heard of this and never done it, but restrain from yanking on his chains: instead, shoot him in the head about three "cycles" and he should eventually fall down. If this is false, then just whip out the bow when he starts walking. I know this is rather weak, but Fyrus is basic.

Morpheel: (If even possible,) don't target the eye when pulling it out. Stay in range of the tentacles as well. In phase two, try to clawshot Morpheel manually.

Stallord: In the first part, try not to destroy the undead meat-(lacking)-shields of Stallord's spine. In phase two, when by his head, only jump just before he fires a fireball at you at point-blank range. Refrain from jump attacks so that the battle is longer (though you might want to do one or two every so often, since it takes 18 jump attacks with the Master Sword to kill the thing.)

Blizzeta: Not very much here, though you could limit the amount of chunks you destroy in part two so you don't have a large opening to escape from the throne. If you are crazy, wear the Zora Armor.

Armogohma: Not very much to do here either. Suggestions are to wait until the laser draws near before equipping the bow and to activate the statues without a target lock. For phase two, chase after Armogohma and wave your sword around like a drunken lunatic.

Argorok: In phase one, Climb the pillars completely and manually grab Argorok's tail from there. Only use the boots to pull Argorok down and to withstand the (apparently) instant-kill wind attacks that blow you off of the edge. In phase two, only latch onto a peahat when the fire draws near. Manually target Argorok's back.

Zant: For phase one, don't use the targeting with your 'rang. If you block Zant's energy balls, don't try to move away (if that's possible.) If he hits you enough with them, you might catch something that Ganondorf's could never do.

In phase two, don't wear the iron boots when the platform shakes. There's an easy method for this, but I'll leave that for you to find, since this is a challenge thread. If you can, try to dodge Zant's energy balls (run, roll, etc.) instead of blocking them.

In phase three, grab Zant manually with the clawshot, and only try to grab him if he appears in a helmet far from where you are standing. No lucking out with him appearing near you.

In phase four, you can't do much. Just try to attack the pillars while he's still leaping around. Also, stand in his fall path for a rare sight.

In phase five, use the ball and chain manually (no targeting.) When attacking mini-Zant, just run after him swinging like crazy just like with Armogohma. If you are feeling quite bold, you could try to hit Zant's feet while he's stomping around after landing. As a sidenote, try and see how long you can last standing directly underneath Zant when he lands.

Finally, in phase six, don't use targeting while trying to hit him at the beginning. When he teleports, don't try to locate him instantly with targeting, and if he is near you when doing "Maniac Slasher," just target him and test your luck: will he swing enough to overwhelm your shield, or will he just teleport away? When he is spinning, try to avoid him instead of blocking him.

Ganondorf: Now for the final battle, when facing "Princess Ganon," try to reflect the blasts without targeting (I'm not sure if they'll reach her though.) Use the spin attack to increase the speed of the energy ball, try to avoid the "Sword Dive" at the last second, and the same goes for the "Triangle of Death."

Against Ganon, stand in the middle of the "Portal Circle" and attempt to hit Ganon the second he dashes out from a portal. If he slides towards you, don't try to move (unless it is impossible for his slide not to reach you, in which case you can avoid, but only when he's close.) Try not to use targeting as the wolf, though you might need the targeting to get the grab option, so that part depends.

On horseback, instead of going around Ganondorf's phantom riders, try to fit between a gap. When charging Ganondorf, try to strike him with the Master Sword (though the blow is useless without light arrows.) If Zelda can actually shoot Ganondorf without targeting, try to not rely on it, though since Zelda is bad enough with targeting, this might be stupid instead of challenging.

Finally, for the sword battle, do not use the chance option (just dodge the swipe) and keep close to Ganondorf. Try and see what gets past Ganondorf's guard (that doesn't mean spamming the backslice) and don't use the fishing rod. That would totally defeat the purpose. Since this fight might just be plain stupid without targeting, you can use it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other tidbits to increase the difficulty, don't hesitate to share. Go ahead, try these challenges out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcvalons
Vaati is the oldest villain in the Zelda chronology, and the oldest are always the most powerful.
Man, I've disproved this point every time I've dropped by the old folk's home.

I... I'm not allowed there any more.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2007, 07:01 AM
Crossing off the List
View Posts: 1,039
Re: Twilight Princess Boss Challenges *Spoilers*

Nice list. A few points though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Gamer View Post
Fyrus: Only pull out the bow when he starts walking towards you. I've only heard of this and never done it, but restrain from yanking on his chains: instead, shoot him in the head about three "cycles" and he should eventually fall down. If this is false, then just whip out the bow when he starts walking. I know this is rather weak, but Fyrus is basic.
I don't think that there's a difficult way to deal with Fyrus. There's the option of shooting him death, or 3 arrows and a few melees with the sword. You could try a no retreat method.
Quote:
Morpheel: (If even possible,) don't target the eye when pulling it out. Stay in range of the tentacles as well. In phase two, try to clawshot Morpheel manually.
The first stage is possible, but the proposed method of the second stage sounds impossible. It might not be, but breaking momentum to manually pull out the clawshot will just let Morpheel swim away no problem. I'll have a go when I have some time.
Quote:
Stallord: In the first part, try not to destroy the undead meat-(lacking)-shields of Stallord's spine. In phase two, when by his head, only jump just before he fires a fireball at you at point-blank range. Refrain from jump attacks so that the battle is longer (though you might want to do one or two every so often, since it takes 18 jump attacks with the Master Sword to kill the thing.)
Sometimes destroying the undead guardians can't be avoided. I see what you're getting at though.
Quote:
Against Ganon, stand in the middle of the "Portal Circle" and attempt to hit Ganon the second he dashes out from a portal. If he slides towards you, don't try to move (unless it is impossible for his slide not to reach you, in which case you can avoid, but only when he's close.) Try not to use targeting as the wolf, though you might need the targeting to get the grab option, so that part depends.
I should think for beast Ganon, not using your wolf form would pose a fair challenge. It's difficult to get him with an arrow, and avoiding his collapse needs precision timing.

Anyway, that's all I could see. For a lot of the bosses, there's just no way to make them harder, just prolong their ultimate demise.

~ Adhamh.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhamh
Nice list.
Thanks.

Quote:
I don't think that there's a difficult way to deal with Fyrus. There's the option of shooting him death, or 3 arrows and a few melees with the sword. You could try a no retreat method.

I know. Like I said, Fyrus kind of stinks.

Quote:
I should think for beast Ganon, not using your wolf form would pose a fair challenge. It's difficult to get him with an arrow, and avoiding his collapse needs precision timing.
It become impossible to hit him once he starts avoiding.

Quote:
Vaati is the oldest villain in the Zelda chronology, and the oldest are always the most powerful.

#4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Crossing off the List

Quote:
Thanks.
No problem.
Quote:
It become impossible to hit him once he starts avoiding.
Does it? My first time I only hit him with one arrow when a mate suggested the wolf tactic, so I've never tried.

So he actually physically avoids the arrows eventually? I'll have to have a go. I assumed when he used a portal to charge at you, he just kept coming until you put him down.

~ Adhamh.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Jiizasu Kuraisto
View Posts: 10,837

Actually, I think you can make the fight with Fyrus harder if you let him get really close before doing anything. Basically just stand close to him, it will probably be hard to hit him in his "crystal" fast enough before he hits you. I guess it depends how good you are with the Wii remote, or if you even have one.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-25-2007, 01:50 AM

I tried out the challenges on Zant and Ganondorf, and they did enhance the experience. With Zant, unless you instantly hit him with the 'rang, he'll hit you in stage one. You can dodge his blasts in stage two, though it is a little hard. Manually grabbing in stage three adds a little flavor, and I've discovered a better (yet still rather lame) method in stage four: wait until Zant starts shooting, then take cover behind a totem pole. When he stops, quickly roll into his pole. Stage five is okay as I described it, and stage six works as earlier listed. It's hard to make Zant's starting swipes difficult though. I just slashed once with no timing four times in a row and hit him. Combined with just not giving it my all (in an attempt to make Link seem more human,) Zant got me down to six out of fourteen hearts.

For "Princess Ganon," you can reflect the energy balls without a lock, and a spin attack doesn't seem to speed it up. I can't really say anything about the Sword Dive, since she only used it once in the five minutes the fight took. I did see the triangle a lot though. Ganon can be caught without a lock, but he always slides into the middle of the arena. Zelda doesn't even try to hit Ganondorf with no targeting, so that's down the toilet, and the listed rules for the final bout makes it very dramatic. Ganondorf got me down to around nine hearts.

Overall, the challenge rules made those fights rather interesting.

Quote:

#7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Miyamoto: Sell games in Yourope? Wot Yourope?
View Posts: 764

I haven't tried these, but I'd suggest changing the Zant battle, on the magnetic platform. It's a lot EASIER if you don't use the iron boots, you can run at him and it's almost impossible to fall off.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-25-2007, 04:51 PM

Well, I know that. I just thought that most gamers wouldn't try that, so they'd focus more on not falling off.

Sorry if some of these ideas aren't that good, but the TP bosses are pretty dang linear, so it's hard to think up a challenge.

Once again, if you have any suggestions or comments about these, feel free to respond. You don't have to do every one before posting.

Quote:

Last Edited by Average Gamer; 01-25-2007 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-28-2007, 03:04 PM
Ram the Blade Ship.

View Posts: 2,203

Great thread idea.

I'm still on my first TP file, haven't beaten the last two dungeons yet. So I won't be able to try these things out for a while, and I don't know if some of my sugguestions will work.

Quote:
The first stage is possible, but the proposed method of the second stage sounds impossible. It might not be, but breaking momentum to manually pull out the clawshot will just let Morpheel swim away no problem. I'll have a go when I have some time.
I think that's actually how I beat Morpheel the first time. I kept targetting from a poor position and he kept getting away, so I started aiming manually. For a tougher method, try positioning yourself so you face Morpheel, then swim over its mouth to get in a position to Clawshot him.

For Blizzeta, try to evade some of her attacks by using the Spinner.

For Armoghoma... wear the Iron Boots?

For Argorok, aim for the Peahats manually and wear the Iron Boots as you do this. Make sure you are using Rusl's Blade, not the Master Sword. Also, during the second phase, stay on the platform instead of ascending the towers until Argorok begins flying around again. Latch onto a tower and from there latch onto Argorok as he flies over the platform.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Crossing off the List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylian Dan View Post
I think that's actually how I beat Morpheel the first time. I kept targetting from a poor position and he kept getting away, so I started aiming manually. For a tougher method, try positioning yourself so you face Morpheel, then swim over its mouth to get in a position to Clawshot him.
So it is possible.... that's good to hear. However, how about standing atop one of the pillars with the iron boots, then waiting for Morpheel to swim by?

This method puts you at greater risk and lowers your freedom to evade any swallowing attempts. You could use manual targeting from there. If the pillar you're using gets knocked down, then you just swim to the next (and so on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylian Dan View Post
For Armoghoma... wear the Iron Boots?
It might be an idea to pop the iron boots on for every boss....

~ Adhamh.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Ram the Blade Ship.

View Posts: 2,203

How about using the Magic Armor for boss battles? You can come with 1/4 to 3 hearts. If you run out of rupees, you're not allowed to take the armor off. Plan ahead of time how much time you expect you'll need and bring the appropriate number of rupees. So for a boss like Stallord, bring maybe 200-400 rupees, and use Rusl's Blade so that the second phase lasts longer. For Blizzeta and Ghoma, bring something like 50-150 rupees. For Argorok, 500 might be the right amount if you use Rusl's Blade. I'm just making these estimates up off the top of my head, so I'm not sure if these amounts would be right. You don't want to make the battle impossibly hard, but you want to have the risk that you will run out.

If you need rupees, just shoot the bell above Kakariko's sanctuary with a bomb arrow and you'll get a silver rupee. It works every time you enter the village. If you need to get rid of health beforehand, visit Coro in Faron Province and keep drinking the soup from the cauldron. It has a random effect on your health, like purple chu jelly. Eventually it should do significant damage.

Tags
boss, challenges, spoilers, twilight princess