Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#3581 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 14
Re: TP Hype Thread II: The Revenge!!!

Damn right, Iroas. I completely agree with you. TP was nowhere close to OoT. 75 hours to beat? Yeah right. TP felt rushed even though it got pushed back. It just isn't as great as they were claiming it would be. Way too much hype, only to be disappointed. Not enough towns to explore (Ordon Village and Kakariko Village are not enough), no orchestrated music, SERIOUS lack of sidequests (how about a trading sequence next time?), lack of difficulty in temples and bosses...it just felt empty. If it wasn't for Midna...I don't know how this game would have survived. >>
  #3582 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Crazy Sheikah
View Posts: 526

i love these forums way better than the nintendo NSider forums cuz i got flamed for saying the EXACT same thing....

The problems I had with it majorly were:

-music: terrible. Just a bunch of remakes from OoT. Dungeon music was boring, series of drum beats monotously played over and over and over. Some exceptions, though the majority of it was rather dull

-instruments: lack of instruments. Howling is a sad replacement for it. Didn't have any "pleasant" sounds come from the wolf's mouth.

-lack of cameos: usually, Zelda games are filled with cameos. Sure, there are quite a few, but they're insignificant. It'd be better if we could see more...

-lack of enemies: not so many enemies, and upon that, not so many returning enemies. Chuchus and octoroks were only visible in specific areas, majorly the small, inoccupied ones

-too much collecting: seriously, there is tooo much running around and getting stuff. Its like, "Alright Fused Shadows....now Mirror Shards!"

-graphics: they were nice, I'll admit it, but i don't think they were executed well... Lake Hylia looked exactly like the rest of Hyrule with a splunge of water... A differene in trees or vegetation as is in different province would've been nice.

-too much running around: self explanantory. run around in Hyrule field.

-boring sidequests: there is literally only few large ones, and mainly consist of running around and getting things. Im sick of scavenger hunts.

-twilight: im sure Ninny is happy that theyve made it depressing, but its TOO depressing. The twilight is boring and offers no functionality. Rather pointless, and only made the story.

-wolf Link: I didnt like wolf link. He was too....something. The controls were okay, but the moves were limited, the interactivity with animals was small and the full use of a wolf's senses and functionality was limited

-Great Fairies: limited to the cave of ordeals...yuck

-realism: TOO realistic. The great fairies looked more serene than their wild, floated counterparts

-lack of surprises: very few surprises. Rather cliched story and not generally moving

-lack of story flow: it really didnt flow. Some aprts were super random, like the whole Ilia and the doctor thing...and the bone boars had em...just, too much. Some parts were so edited that they were thrown in just to move the game forward.

-lack of cities: the Oocoa village being a dungeon was terrible. ABSOLUTELY terrible. They shoulda made it more like an actual village, with more indepth coverage of the Oocoa and a story as to why the dragon was bothering them....

-quick jump into dungeons: kinda like hopiing from stone to stone. No "real" story development in between the dungeons. Rather, done one, go to the next. Very little adventure in between temples.

-random parts: Zant neck snapping, Shiekah wooden figurine, Impaz in a WESTERN country village....yeah. Ralis, Lulu (whatever), Renado... too many characters that served such miniscule parts. And when parts were needed, they were recycled terribly (Ralis' earring coral hook)

-general atmosphere: didn't feel like Zelda. I'm sorry, i felt like i was playing some sort of medieval game with zelda references and such

-lack of characters: too much recycling of TP chacracters. Where are Ingo-like people? Tingle-like people? Those citizens we see recycled from PREVIOUS Zelda titles...

-random items: too random, really... ball and chain? Yeah, cool, but served almost no purpose but to act as a replacement for bombs and break ice.

-items: goes hand in hand with previous point, items were rather poor clones of other ones and had little use and variety in dungeons.

-dungeons: too, too easy. I beat the water temple no prob and yet I STILL have problems with OoT's water temple.

I know its kinda contradictory, i havent edited it, but.... i guess im just .. fussy about TP....

its still a great game, but it didnt do it for me as a zelda game

AND. i compare TP to OoT because Nintendo said that Tp was to be the best Zelda ever.... OoT currently holds that record as everyone knows.... ALttP is good, too, but I think OoT beats it.

Is Now Introducing...
Last Edited by sheik_master; 02-05-2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3583 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-06-2007, 12:31 AM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 14

Very nice post. Now I shall comment on a few things. My replies are gonna be in bold since I'm lazy and whatnot. You didn't really back up your statements, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheik_master View Post
i love these forums way better than the nintendo NSider forums cuz i got flamed for saying the EXACT same thing....

The problems I had with it majorly were:

-music: terrible. Just a bunch of remakes from OoT. Dungeon music was boring, series of drum beats monotously played over and over and over. Some exceptions, though the majority of it was rather dull
I agree with this one...sort of. I loved the overworld theme (specially how it's played at the end...oboe/clarinet/brass seriously own). I don't really understand what you mean by "a bunch of remakes from OoT." I'll try to come up with some:
-Zelda's Lullaby
-Ganondorf breaking the chains resembles when you're escaping the castle in OoT.
-There's the Hyrule Castle theme from ALttP, but that didn't appear in OoT.
-Queen Rutela's theme
-Zora's Domain
-Sacred Grove
-Kakariko Village...but BARELY. This was a total new remix of the KV theme we all have come to love.

I don't know, most of the music seemed original to me (overworld, Midna's theme, Lake Hylia [unlike OoT, where Lake Hylia had the overworld theme], Fishing Pond, Faron Woods, Ordon Ranch (loved this one, is that a French horn?), Ordon Village, Castle Town, Snowpeak (awesome, very calm and soothing), and Midna's Desperation (when you have to rescue her). I'd say that's a ratio, from the ones I've listed, of 5:10 (didn't count KV or Hyrule Castle...KV just sounds too different), old to new. And even if they ARE recycled songs, don't you think they sound a heck of alot better? Zora's Domain, Serenade of Water...heck yeah, man, heck yeah. Though nothing close to something like Gerudo Valley.

-instruments: lack of instruments. Howling is a sad replacement for it. Didn't have any "pleasant" sounds come from the wolf's mouth.
I totally agree. Pathetic replacement of the ocarina, and even the Wind Waker. It sometimes hurt my ears to listen to the howling.

-lack of cameos: usually, Zelda games are filled with cameos. Sure, there are quite a few, but they're insignificant. It'd be better if we could see more...

-lack of enemies: not so many enemies, and upon that, not so many returning enemies. Chuchus and octoroks were only visible in specific areas, majorly the small, inoccupied ones

Alright, so I went to GameFAQS and checked out these FAQs that listed all the enemies and bosses for OoT and TP:
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/n64/f..._monster_a.txt
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/gamec...a_tp_enemy.txt

I went to Microsoft Word, pasted the lists, numbered them, compared them, and this is what I got:
65 enemies for TP, 69 for OoT. You can count for yourself if you don't believe me.

Now, you say that you didn't see many returning enemies. I'll try to come up with some that DID return (from OoT, and some from MM):
Armos, Deku Babas, Baby Ghomas, Queen Ghoma (well, sorta...looked like her ), Bari (Lakebed Temple), Bomblings (could be considered Bombchus from MM), Bubble, Chu chus, Darknut, Dodongos, Guay, rat, Freezard, Poes, Keese, Leever, Lizalfos (some wear helmets), Peahat (although it doesn't attack), Redeads, Stalfos, Shell blade (from water temple in OoT), Skulltulas, Tektikes, and White wolfos (although a little different from the ones in OoT).

Seems like that's more than enough. We also want to see new enemies, not all recycled ones. Otherwise people would complain about that. Plus, some got drastic changes from OoT, like Freezards, white wolfos, Bomblings, and Redeads (now they have weapons! :O). So I don't see what you're complaining.

-too much collecting: seriously, there is tooo much running around and getting stuff. Its like, "Alright Fused Shadows....now Mirror Shards!"
Uh, dude, same thing with ALttP, OoT, MM, and TWW.
ALttP: first Pendants, then rescue Maidens
OoT: First the three Spiritual Stones, then collect 6 medallions (more than collecting 4 mirror shards...three, actually)
MM: The Remains of the bosses, and then the actual masks
TWW: The three pearls, and then the ever-so-annoying Triforce hunt.

So with TP, it's not that much different.

-graphics: they were nice, I'll admit it, but i don't think they were executed well... Lake Hylia looked exactly like the rest of Hyrule with a splunge of water... A differene in trees or vegetation as is in different province would've been nice.

Lake Hylia was a big improvement from OoT's version, I thought. A big lake, just like I wanted the one from OoT to be like, and isn't that what a lake is supposed to look like? A "splunge of water" on some land?

-too much running around: self explanantory. run around in Hyrule field.

And you're complaining... There was much more running to do in ALttP (no horse), and in TWW there was all that SAILING. In TP, you don't do a lot of running, actually. You have Epona, and man, she's faster this time around. Even when you're a wolf in the twilight, you can be pretty fast if you dash as a wolf. Once you get the Master Sword, forget all the running stuff: you can warp! Amazing.

-boring sidequests: there is literally only few large ones, and mainly consist of running around and getting things. Im sick of scavenger hunts.

Ok, I agree with this one. Getting the Golden Bugs and searching for the Poes was a lame excuse for sidequests. Lame.

-twilight: im sure Ninny is happy that theyve made it depressing, but its TOO depressing. The twilight is boring and offers no functionality. Rather pointless, and only made the story.

Well, you just contradicted yourself. If it offers no functionality...then how does it make the story? That's the whole purpose of the Twilight...it MAKES the story! That's like asking what's the purpose of Hyrule... Well, if there was no Hyrule, then there'd be no TP.

-wolf Link: I didnt like wolf link. He was too....something. The controls were okay, but the moves were limited, the interactivity with animals was small and the full use of a wolf's senses and functionality was limited

Eh...ok. What else could you have done with the senses? You can sniff stuff and see people in the Twilight. I thought that was pretty neat, and just what a wolf could do. Although I agree with the interactivity with the animals was minimal, but no complaints here. I don't think they wanted wolf Link to spend all his time talking to animals. That's just not the story.

-Great Fairies: limited to the cave of ordeals...yuck
Yes, yes, I wanted to see the Great Fairies! They sort of went back to the whole nude thing from OoT (hated them, by the way), and I really liked the way they designed them in TWW. TP's GFs....ah, they were alright. I think ALttP's are the best, though.

-realism: TOO realistic. The great fairies looked more serene than their wild, floated counterparts
I don't know about you, dude, but TP's/TWW's/ALttP's Great Fairies>OoT's. I don't know why you're complaining about realism. See, I dont understand people. They just don't seem to know what they want anymore. They say Zelda is not realistic enough with the graphics, and now they say the opposite. Fairies are supposed to be graceful, kind, and serene...not wild and crazy and freakin' scary! You're supposed to think of them as beautiful, not freaky looking (OoT)

-lack of surprises: very few surprises. Rather cliched story and not generally moving
Wow, you amaze now. Zant turning out to be some insane dude surprised me, the ending sure as heck surprised me (Midna's true form, Midna breaking the Mirror of Twilight). Those last two are almost as big as finding out Sheik is Zelda!

-lack of story flow: it really didnt flow. Some aprts were super random, like the whole Ilia and the doctor thing...and the bone boars had em...just, too much. Some parts were so edited that they were thrown in just to move the game forward.

I'd elaborate on this, but it's getting pretty late, and I've typed for too long. If you think it didn't flow, then man...

-lack of cities: the Oocoa village being a dungeon was terrible. ABSOLUTELY terrible. They shoulda made it more like an actual village, with more indepth coverage of the Oocoa and a story as to why the dragon was bothering them....

No freakin' kidding! Biggest disappointment. Gah, I'll never get over this. With you 100%.

-quick jump into dungeons: kinda like hopiing from stone to stone. No "real" story development in between the dungeons. Rather, done one, go to the next. Very little adventure in between temples.

Very true, especially at the end. Blah.

-random parts: Zant neck snapping, Shiekah wooden figurine, Impaz in a WESTERN country village....yeah. Ralis, Lulu (whatever), Renado... too many characters that served such miniscule parts. And when parts were needed, they were recycled terribly (Ralis' earring coral hook)

-general atmosphere: didn't feel like Zelda. I'm sorry, i felt like i was playing some sort of medieval game with zelda references and such

I can see where you're coming from on this one. Once again, I'd say more, but it's getting late.

-lack of characters: too much recycling of TP chacracters. Where are Ingo-like people? Tingle-like people? Those citizens we see recycled from PREVIOUS Zelda titles...

I thought Telma, Ashei and all those other people were pretty original. And those clown losers in Lake Hylia? I'd say that's pretty Tingle-like! Renado seemed like a pretty cool guy...and not to mention: Midna. She's like the star of the game. Best thing that has happened to a Zelda game. Very original character, I must say.

-random items: too random, really... ball and chain? Yeah, cool, but served almost no purpose but to act as a replacement for bombs and break ice.

With you on this one. Ball and Chain, Dominion Rod, Slingshot, and some others were just useless. You just use them for a temple, and that's it. Slingshot's the worst, though...you barely even use it!

-items: goes hand in hand with previous point, items were rather poor clones of other ones and had little use and variety in dungeons.

-dungeons: too, too easy. I beat the water temple no prob and yet I STILL have problems with OoT's water temple.

Agreed. Lakebed Temple = pain in the rear.

I know its kinda contradictory, i havent edited it, but.... i guess im just .. fussy about TP....

Yeah, I sort of have mixed feelings about this game, as well.

its still a great game, but it didnt do it for me as a zelda game

AND. i compare TP to OoT because Nintendo said that Tp was to be the best Zelda ever.... OoT currently holds that record as everyone knows.... ALttP is good, too, but I think OoT beats it.

Once again, agreed. TP was just overhyped, and when you step back and look at it, it just...doesn't feel right. Midna is what saved this game, from my point of view. Nothing else. Next Zelda game better kick TP's butt easily. I'm still waiting for another OoT.
Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to contribute.
  #3584 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-06-2007, 05:36 AM
Link the Zora Link the Zora is a male United States Link the Zora is offline
Trying to get a room in the Stock Pot Inn since 2000.

View Posts: 8,519

I liked TP the same, but here's some that i thought were lacking.

For the music: Well, I didn't really like the Overworld music that much. It was just the trailer music. It's awesome though, but a diffrent one would have been nice. I'm not asking for the Zelda theme in full orchestral blast in the overworld, but just something not from a trailer.

As for the Twilight Bugs? They were fun to get and all, but seriously, i expected that you would enter the temple, kill the Twilight-infested boss to free the area from the Twilight instead of becoming: "Link the Bug-Exterminator"

The Twilight Realm. Well, here we are, Link. The thing that Minda, Zant, and heck, pratically everyone in the game and real life was talking about. What does it compose of? Just a floating castle with Twili standing there moaning like someone's beating them with a baseball bat. I was hoping for an actual village where the Twili did jobs just like the Hylians did, and maybe they could talk. Not huge elaborated speeches, but just a few: "You...you are the Sacred Beast? Help us!" or "Welcome to the Twilight. Make yourself at home." But instead, it was a floating castle in the sky.

Those are just what i don't really like, but that's not bad. Just three out of many, many things i like about the game.

btw, I thought the items were unique. Who could resist stalking Hyrule Field with the Hawkeye and the bow and arrow?

#3585 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Crazy Sheikah
View Posts: 526

LOL, i know i contradicted myself here and there...

Its just hard to explain...

but i HAVE to say that OoT fairies were the best because of their retarded shrieks and skimpiness..

THATS WHY THEY ROCK SO MUCH!

and i LOVED sailing in TWW....there was a specific atmostphere about it that i enjoyed

Is Now Introducing...
Last Edited by sheik_master; 02-06-2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3586 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 385

Wow... people are really dissapointed with TP. Guess that's the problem with hype threads, it gets TOO hyped. No game could ever possibly satisfy what everyone craved. I personally loved TP, and while it didn't do for today what OOT did for its time, directly compared its a better game in almost EVERY way that I can think of.
  #3587 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Old Skool Zelda fan
View Posts: 1,184

Overall I loved TP but I've only played through it once. After getting about half way through on the second go around, I lost interest. I haven't really touched the game in over a month.

Kinda disappointing really, I hoped that it would have the replay value ofr OoT. But something that makes me keep coming back to OoT is missing in TP.
  #3588 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Hylian Warlord
View Posts: 3,666

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyZX View Post
Overall I loved TP but I've only played through it once. After getting about half way through on the second go around, I lost interest. I haven't really touched the game in over a month.

Kinda disappointing really, I hoped that it would have the replay value ofr OoT. But something that makes me keep coming back to OoT is missing in TP.
I kind of know what you mean. Currently am playing TP the second time around and I have gotten to Snowpeak Ruins and am half heartedly playing it. I think the decline in awesome cutscenes after Arbiter Grounds probably made people feel that the last half of the storyline was lacking when it was actually just lack of cutscenes. IMO the storyline was every bit as good or better than OOT due to that collecting the shattered pieces of the mirror in TP was no more or less of a chore than collecting sage medallions in OOT. I will just complete my second quest and go back to my first quest and try to collect my remaining Poes and do more fishing. As for replay value, IMO OOT and TP were relatively the same except TP has superior graphics and a way better combat system. Plus TP had more recurring enemies than OOT but both of them deserve two playthroughs at best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhelm View Post
polygamy is legal in Hyrule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldaZealot View Post
No! Link will be a pedophile in the child timeline mark ZeldaZealot words!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnorv View Post
the Hero of Time was, technically, truly retarded.
  #3589 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-24-2007, 09:18 PM
I'm not aware of my ways, but I'm willing to learn.
View Posts: 3,627

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganonslayer2000 View Post
Plus TP had more recurring enemies than OOT but both of them deserve two playthroughs at best.
I've already beat Twilight Princess 4 times and Ocarina of Time around 10 times, and I am still not sick of either. 2 playthrough just aren't enough.
Last Edited by Kee; 02-24-2007 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3590 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-25-2007, 01:58 AM
Hylian Warlord
View Posts: 3,666

I should have meant 2 playthroughs at LEAST. I beat OOT twice back when it first came out in 98 and twice again last year when I bought the GC Collectors edition. TP four times already and OOT 10 times huh? I bet you can beat TP or OOT with your eyes closed by now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhelm View Post
polygamy is legal in Hyrule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldaZealot View Post
No! Link will be a pedophile in the child timeline mark ZeldaZealot words!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnorv View Post
the Hero of Time was, technically, truly retarded.
  #3591 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Old Skool Zelda fan
View Posts: 1,184

Goodbye Hype thread II.
  #3592 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Anouki
View Posts: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyZX View Post

Same thing with me, I got to around or before the sky temple, and I kept thinking, "ok i bet it's done now. I bet it's almost over" and that was around a month or so ago, but now im back into it!!! i've "re-seen" the light i guess lol

Tags
hype, revenge