Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 15
Wind Waker wasn't fully complete?

My boyfriend is playing the TWW right now, hes never played the games the 3d ones at that. So I heard in another topic that the wind waker wasnt fully complete they just added the triforce hunt so it looked like it was to be longer? Is this true?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Am I the only person ____?
View Posts: 10,598
Re: Wind Waker wasn't fully complete?

That seems to be the case. Apparently, as the release date neared, Nintendo couldn't quite finish the game on time. So instead of delaying it, they scrapped two full dungeons and added the Triforce Quest. Eiji Aonuma has gone on record apologizing for this, and doing so, he is better able to justify the Twilight Princess delay.

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Master Black Mage
Send a message via AIM to Master of ALttP
View Posts: 3,922

Um, no, that isn't true. People just say that because the quest seems so out of place. If Nintendo wasn't done with the game yet, they probably would've just delayed its release date.
Leminnes made my sig. Mess with Lem and I'll cast Bolt-3 on you.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Thorny Devil
View Posts: 1,377

Well, if you consider Aonuma having to approve stuff he didn't think was up to scratch in order to meet deadlines to be incomplete, then yes, the game is incomplete:

Quote:
[Eiji]Aonuma told Swedish magazine Reset that the gameplay in Wind Waker was "dull", admitting that he was in a bit of a hurry when it came to working on the triforce piece hunt.

"At the end of the production we fought against the clock and there were parts that I was forced to approve even though it didn't feel complete," he said.

"I apologise that we didn't fix the triforce hunt at the end of the game. It was slow and dull."

Command your people; climb the mountains
Their peaks shall become the shore
The darkness will be defeated
But Hyrule will be no more

#5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-25-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Um, no, that isn't true. People just say that because the quest seems so out of place. If Nintendo wasn't done with the game yet, they probably would've just delayed its release date.
You're not going to make me go find the link are you? You always act like you know what you're talking about, but I guarantee you're wrong. Two dungeons were scrapped from WW, and either Miyamoto or Aonuma admitted as such.

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Master Black Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek 84
You're not going to make me go find the link are you? You always act like you know what you're talking about, but I guarantee you're wrong. Two dungeons were scrapped from WW, and either Miyamoto or Aonuma admitted as such.
Yes, I know that two dungeons were scrapped from Wind Waker, and I'm just as upset about it as you are. (Whether this is an act of sarcasm or sympathy, I do not know.) About me acting like I know what I'm talking about, I almost always know what I'm talking about. (Except a few days ago when I started talking about parallel dimensions.) Technically, the game was complete, but it didn't feel complete. You see what I'm saying? It had an ending, but it was still missing something. That something was about a few hundred square kilometers of solid landmass and truly entertaining gameplay.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Classic Old School Action
Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzie
View Posts: 9,468

And if I remember reading something correctly (which isn't often), the two dungeons were Fire Mountain and Ice Ring Isle. The two places you get the Iron Boots and Power Bracelets.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-25-2006, 07:24 PM
goes to the mayor
View Posts: 5,430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of ALttP

No, aonouma said himself that tWW was rushed, and that originally two more dungeons were planned, the triforce quest, as aonouma said, wasn't properly thought out, but He was given a dead line to adhere to. tWW was Aonouma's first GC title, he wasn't given as much liberty as he was with TP. Nintendo and aonouma both learned a lot from tWW, which is why TP be neen delayed for so long.
98% of the teen population is cool, 2% aren't
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Master Black Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacumgod
No, aonouma said himself that tWW was rushed, and that originally two more dungeons were planned, the triforce quest, as aonouma said, wasn't properly thought out, but He was given a dead line to adhere to. tWW was Aonouma's first GC title, he wasn't given as much liberty as he was with TP. Nintendo and aonouma both learned a lot from tWW, which is why TP be neen delayed for so long.
Oh, okay, thank you for correcting me. I usually don't have the attention span to read through an interview, and I really only got started up in the Zelda community when I registered here. Not that I haven't been playing Zelda for a long time, I started when I was about three. Well, back on track, I did know that the two dungeons were at Fire Mountain and Ice Ring Isle. They could have done so much on those two islands, but instead they went with making them pathetic little caves that don't even qualify as an escuse for a dungeon. And before you all think I don't know more than what you're all saying, yes, I do know that they are basing a lot of things, both technology and experience, off of Wind Waker. It was said some time ago, around the "first" delay (I say the game was only delayed once, because the second time never had a determined date, only "after March 31st") Aonouma or someone said that they didn't want to make the same mistakes that they made in Wind Waker, so they were going to delay the release and work on it some more. According to a (what I think is) recent interview with Miyamoto, he said that he wants Twilight Princess to be the "perfect Zelda", so they are obviously working very hard on it to implement successful factors from other Zelda games into Twilight Princess, while also adding new things that they hope will generate the right reaction from us. Now, as to the technological viewpoint, this game is built off of the Wind Waker engine. It has just been changed so much that it is a "completely different engine", according to an interview with someone important to the development of Twilight Princess. So there, I know what I'm talking about. Don't say I don't, because I sure as hell do.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 45

I'd rather not think about what could have been and accept what I'm given. So what Windwaker had two dungeons scrapped and a triforce quest was thrown in?

The game is how it is and I think the Triforce Quest emphasizes the dependance on sea in Windwaker. I quite like that game, and even though I found that part dull, I still liked doing it.

So, lets just accept what we were given and ignore what we can't in anyway change.

Windwaker Rocks my Socks
http://lonepichu.deviantart.com/ Now with Plushies.
The Windwaker is a conductor's baton, not an instrument.
Tetra Fan Girl :3
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Master Black Mage

Actually, we could change it if some people were willing to hack the game and make their own stuff in it. In fact, by hacking the game, I'm sure we'd be able to make a cel-shaded, Wind Waker-styled version of Twilight Princess. Well, at least a game better than Wind Waker, I can assure you.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Gerudo Thief

ANother thing, why does everyone hate the Windwaker?

I found the charcters loveable, the boss challenges were vair great because of the interactiveness with the environment, and I found the plot very good. I found Windwaker to be a fun and satisfactory conclusion to Ocarina of Time.

I seriously don't see anythign wrong with the game, except the triforce hunt could have been spruced up, but then again, it does get you to explore some islands you wouldn't normally explore.

Windwaker Rocks my Socks
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Ganon's Bane
View Posts: 5,879

Most people don't like the lack of land and the excess amount of sailing. They would much rather a smaller world made of more land. This could have easily been done with more dungeons, more dungeons means more heart containers which means less tedious space needed for heart piece quests.

Quote:
(Except a few days ago when I started talking about parallel dimensions.)
heh, heh. Yeah, sorry about that, I got carried away.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-27-2006, 02:59 PM
Gerudo Thief

Aww, but I like oceans. I lived on a small island one summer and it was exactly like that.

Besides, it's an original idea. I mean, how many differant games can we have on one land mass?

It was fresh, and I'm a sucker for ocean things ;P

Windwaker Rocks my Socks
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Descendant of Villainy
Send a message via ICQ to Polychrome Send a message via AIM to Polychrome Send a message via Yahoo to Polychrome
View Posts: 693

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonepichu
ANother thing, why does everyone hate the Windwaker?
Not everybody hates it, but for the people that do, I'd say it's about 20% snobbishness, 30% fanboyism, and 50% lack of confidence.

People don't like admitting they like something when such an admission might challenge their "maturity". Especially guys. IMO, this in itself shows a lack of maturity. It is your actions in stressful situations that determine maturity, not what video games you like.

Something I've noticed in life is that some people never seem to mentally leave middle school. However, those that do will often realize that as long as you're generally a friendly, understanding person that's fun to talk to, nobody will care whether the games you play look kiddie. Heck, they might even ask you why you like them, and give them a try.

Something interesting to think about is the Powerpuff Girls. The vast majority of the audience, according to the ratings, was adult males.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-27-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polychrome
Not everybody hates it, but for the people that do, I'd say it's about 20% snobbishness, 30% fanboyism, and 50% lack of confidence.

People don't like admitting they like something when such an admission might challenge their "maturity". Especially guys. IMO, this in itself shows a lack of maturity. It is your actions in stressful situations that determine maturity, not what video games you like.

Something I've noticed in life is that some people never seem to mentally leave middle school. However, those that do will often realize that as long as you're generally a friendly, understanding person that's fun to talk to, nobody will care whether the games you play look kiddie. Heck, they might even ask you why you like them, and give them a try.

Something interesting to think about is the Powerpuff Girls. The vast majority of the audience, according to the ratings, was adult males.
I can't speak for everyone, but I think you're delusional. I am not a huge fan of Wind Waker fan, and it has very little to do with me trying to maintain my maturity/masculinity. After all, I play games like Mario, Animal Crossing, and Pikmin, and, if the games didn't suck so much these days, I would have no problem playing Pokemon.

Just for fun, I think I'll assign percentage points as to why someone might like WW:

40% fanboyism, 30% brand loyalty, 15% Nintendo told you it was innovative, 9% rebellious/trying to be different, 5% you're comfortable with your masculinity, 1% you can see the world through the eyes of a child!

Sure, my stereotyping is just as ridiculous as yours, but at least I'm not being serious. Do you even realize that (aside from pulling random numbers out of nowhere) you left absolutely 0% for people who legitimately dislike the game?

#17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Elihwa sekat gnidaol... tiaw
View Posts: 416

I liked Wind Waker, but I can understand why people don't like it, so therefore I don't really yell at people for not liking it. If you do like it, yay, if you don't like it, yay.

I, too, was sold on the ocean aspect. It might be the fact that the summer of 2003 saw me on a boat doing research in salt marshes during the day and sailing the Great Sea at night, but...Wind Waker was a good experience for me.

I heard there were 2 missing dungeons as well, maybe from the same interview. Also, a friend of mine pointed out that some parts of the game seemed inconsistant with the Zelda 'formula' of dungeons. It was the same inconsistancy found with the Ice Cavern in Ocarina of Time. And apparently it has been said that the Ice Cavern was intended to be a full-blown dungeon, only it was scrapped. The part of it that had been completed, though, ended up in the final game.

Maybe if the Fire Mountain and Ice Ring islands were dungeons, what we see in the final game are their reminants.

Actually, there's some things I noticed in Ice Ring that make me really think it was intended to be a dungeon. For one thing, the effort made in Link's animations and movements on ice - rather complex, considering it's the ONLY place in the game you see them, huh? Things like the ice sliding as well, are only used once or twice, and seem like they had been destined for more use than what we got. The incredible particle effects for the snow. Stuff like that. It seems like there was a lot more going there then just a small mini-area that we saw.

Ah well, I still enjoyed Wind Waker for how it was, though it doesn't keep me wondering how it might have been with those extra levels.

| LJ | Fanfics | dA |
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Playing a song on my ocarina
View Posts: 429

I wonder what the two dungeons were supposed to have. I mean, it's obvious that the boots and the rings were the main items, but what were you supposed to get for defeating the boss?
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Zelda Wiki Systems Administrator
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin ZW

View Posts: 1,049

I like WW. I just like it because it's cool! And, it's massive in proportion to OoT (not the length, the size of the world). It brought a new world to Zelda, even if it was only temporary. It was still kick-ass, and it will never die.

The one thing I DID hate was the IMPOSSIBLE EASINESS!!!!!!!!!! It is friggin IMPOSSIBLE to die! I tried to kill myself and I FAILED! Man...

Also a devout brony for life.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Master Black Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky of Kokiri
I wonder what the two dungeons were supposed to have. I mean, it's obvious that the boots and the rings were the main items, but what were you supposed to get for defeating the boss?
The Iron Boots and Power Bracelets. That's what you would have gotten from the bosses.

Tags
complete, fully, waker, wind