Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-10-2012, 04:19 PM
View Posts: 128
The True Meaning of Skyward Sword

After long deliberation, I have finally come to the conclusion that Skyward Sword is the story of Fate vs. Choice. It is the battle between what was designed for someone long ago, and how they will try to change it, and if trying to change it is a good decision at all.
For example, the Batreaux quests. In the Cawlin's Letter one, you can choose to either make Pheoni (aka ???) happy or Pippit and Karane happy, but Cawlin is fated to have his love be unrequited no matter what. Also, the Peatrice Quest is also a great example. Peatrice can never be with Link, but you can choose wether to break her heart and make her father happy, or make Peatrice happy and leave her father distraught (its worth mentioning that Peatrice would be heartbroken anyway after Zelda and Link reunited). For once in the series, actions truly have consequences, but even though you can choose how the events play out, there are still many things that can never be changed.
The exact same thing can be said for the Lanayru Desert, and how the first Demon war turned it forever into a wasteland. Whenever you use a timeshift stone, you are returning to a doomed land, and though you can change how it turns into a wastleland, there's no changing that it does. In the games climax too, there is this element of hiding from the inevitable. While Zelda and Link accept their previously decided roles in Hyrule's history, Ghirahim cannot, and tries futiley to change the future by returning to the past, and fails, like Link and the Lanayru Desert.
Though elements such as these are present in games such as WW, the ideas shine most brightly here, creating a beautiful conflict and an internal struggle that may be the reason why so many people prefer SS Princess Zelda to many of the others.
So what do you guys think?
5 people liked this post: Demise, MajorMajora, Pie Master, tlozbj
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 341
Re: The True Meaning of Skyward Sword

I love it when Fate plays a larger part in stories than 'it just happened', and I'm inclined to agree with you on much of this. In classical epics, those who tried to wage against fate were always unsuccessful, even the Queen of the Gods, Juno.

As much as I do like this idea, I'm not sure it was something Nintendo had in mind though...the concept was never mentioned in game IIRC so I don't know.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-10-2012, 04:40 PM

I do think that greek mythology is very akin to SS in how legendary the plot is handled, as if THIS is the story that will go down in history.
And even though a theme isn't stated outright, it can still be present. In fact, a more subtle theme can sometimes be much more powerful and memorable.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 3,052

I like this idea. It makes sense when I look at the events of the game. Thanks for the great insight!

I do wonder though, could the desert possibly be different after Demise is defeated? We don't see it because the game is over.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-10-2012, 07:47 PM

To be honest, I don't even try to fully comprehend the varying ideas of time travel that are addressed throughout the season, and the implications that go with them. I just say that each time travel creates a different split timeline and be done with it.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Wii U ID: purple_circle
View Posts: 829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseud O Nym View Post
I like this idea. It makes sense when I look at the events of the game. Thanks for the great insight!

I do wonder though, could the desert possibly be different after Demise is defeated? We don't see it because the game is over.
I think that part of the desert becomes a section of Hyrule Field and maybe Lake Hylia, since it seems similar in the past state. The Sand Sea is what I think becomes the Haunted Wasteland. There is no way to confirm this, though.

#7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 01:40 AM
View Posts: 42

i think this too
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 02:36 AM
#Dysphoriyawn

View Posts: 16,509

Well, Chesire Cat, you do have a point. it is a meaning, but it is not the true meaning.

I find this point interesting as it shows that things can affect one another through realms of dependency and independence. I find it amazing.

In my opinion, the true meaning behind it was to explain why Zelda games are what they are. It was backstory to the series.

If you want me to look outside of Zelda, the true meaning is that anybody can be the hero.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor Sicarius View Post
In my opinion, the true meaning behind it was to explain why Zelda games are what they are. It was backstory to the series.
Well, a common complaint that I've heard with SS is that as a prequel, it isn't as good a backstory as, say, Oot. There are many elements such as Fi, the Four Dragons, Hylia, and the Ancient Robots that probably don't belong at the very beginning of the timeline. But I do think you're spot on about Zelda's true meaning as a whole, besides just telling a good story and providing many hours of gameplay.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Mad Vodka Drinking Yahoo
View Posts: 2,458

I agree with the OP but I also believe a major theme is purpose.
The dragons wait to fulfil their purpose assigned by Hylia, Impa dutifully performs hers over an epoch, Groose seems to realise his and make a change for the better, Link and Zelda accept their roles as protectors for the first time.
Finally on a the antagonists side Ghirahim knows his purpose, is desperate to perform it but is prevented by his master being imprisoned. This desire seems to build and results in his increased brutality over the game, finally becoming ecstatic when he is free to fulfil what he was created to do.

Oh, is that a gal I see? No, it's just a fal'Cie!
Last Edited by Fal'Cie; 06-11-2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Glorious Leader
Steam ID: mister_blak
View Posts: 1,255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseud O Nym View Post

It presumably reverts back to its original state, becoming Lanayru province. Or maybe it doesn't. Who knows?
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-Tech View Post
I agree with the OP but I also believe a major theme is purpose.
The dragons wait to fulfil their purpose assigned by Hylia, Impa dutifully performs hers over an epoch, Groose seems to realise his and make a change for the better, Link and Zelda accept their roles as protectors for the first time.
Finally on a the antagonists side Ghirahim knows his purpose, is desperate to perform it but is prevented by his master being imprisoned. This desire seems to build and results in his increased brutality over the game, finally becoming ecstatic when he is free to fulfil what he was created to do.
How insightful. I love how a great game like SS (or MM for that matter) can be so good on so many levels, and be so much deeper than a mere source of entertainment, but still be extremely entertaining.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 04:19 PM
#Dysphoriyawn

View Posts: 16,509

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheshireCat View Post
Well, a common complaint that I've heard with SS is that as a prequel, it isn't as good a backstory as, say, Oot.
I agree and disagree with this. I think that the backstory was great. It explained a lot of information. It opened doors for those of us who are into Zelda theory, and it created a whole new realm to work with. It formed an origin where all things came from. It did not explain as much as it could have explained. That doesn't mean that things cannot be explained in future games, though. Keep in mind that Nintendo is still making Zelda games, so they really shouldn't explain all of the secrets now.

Quote:
There are many elements such as Fi, the Four Dragons, Hylia, and the Ancient Robots that probably don't belong at the very beginning of the timeline.
Fi:
Spoiler:  
I actually think that Fi continually resides in the sword through the future games, and that eventually, Fi will have

Four Dragons:
Spoiler:  
They may not have had a major role in the game, but they were "guardians", more or less, of their province. I totally agree. They really didn't seem to have a purpose, overall.

Hylia:
Spoiler:  
Hylia is the explaination of why Zelda is needed so badly. Why she is who she is, and what her purpose is. It is no longer a "Mario-like" game where you go and save the princess. It is a game where you save the goddess from being destroyed by [insert villain name here] and saves the world from destruction. I think that was very necessary.

Ancient Robots:
Spoiler:  
They were utterly useless. I didn't see a lot of use in them.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 08:15 PM
wolf-gang-girl wolf-gang-girl is a female United States wolf-gang-girl is offline
Warrior Of Dusk
View Posts: 129

Now that u mention it, yes it is quite deeper than it seems, and I really like the idea of that
1 person liked this post: Yawn
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 98

Personally I feel that WAY too much in Skyward Sword was because of fate and destiny. It really felt like a lot of Link's accomplishments in the game were diminished because it was destined to happen long ago or Hylia put it in motion because she knew you were gonna be in THIS dungeon or find THAT goddess cube. It even went down to the most mundane items like amber relics. It felt like it was all planned out before hand and Link basically just had to show up, do what he's told and not really find much on his own.

The whole game felt like it happened because it was supposed to, not necessarily because of a lot that I did.