Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

View Poll Results: Is TP overrated?
Yes 17 16.50%
No 76 73.79%
Well... 10 9.71%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Moosetracks Moosetracks is a male United States Moosetracks is offline
Sage of Wisdom
Join Date: Oct 2010
View Posts: 1,176
Re: Is TP overrated?

Overrated? No, underrated if anything. "Oh no, emotionless characters and an empty overworld... WORST ZELDA GAME EVER GUYZ! DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO 9/10 OF ALL THE OTHER THINGS THAT THE GAME DID RIGHT!"

Granted it's not my favorite Zelda, but it's not bad.
__________________

Opinions on Fi because banner: I really like Fi for her character design but the way she is used in the game is, IMO, part of a direction Nintendo has been going since WW that I disapprove of: having the game play the game for you.
Last Edited by Moosetracks; 02-14-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason:
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 01:33 PM
BaruCassanova BaruCassanova is a male United States BaruCassanova is offline
Goron
Send a message via Skype™ to BaruCassanova
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: somewhere in tennessee
View Posts: 274
Re: Is TP overrated?

No way is it overrated, if anything it is under rated. all i see is TP hate threads here.
__________________
"I chooseth this fate of my own free will."
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 01:41 PM
The Baton of the Wind The Baton of the Wind is a male United States The Baton of the Wind is offline
Master Shortpants
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: East USA
View Posts: 3,966
Re: Is TP overrated?

The game is unoriginal and was only made as a pacifier for western fans who cried about Wind Waker.

I actually kind of see it as a mockery of what we as a culture like. They had werewolves, vampires, the word "Twilight", and an overall dark theme compared to other Zelda games. Its like they did a study on western sociology so they could attempt to connect with fans over here.

And boy did they. All the goth and emo fanboys were all over this. And all the Majora's Mask lovers came out as great supporters of this game because it was a dark theme. The gameplay mechanics weren't that great on the Wii and Link was right handed and Hyrule was mirrored. It was basically the same as Wind Waker on game cube except a more cliched style and its on land.

So yes, it is very overrated.

I do like Twilight Princess' story, and the side-quests were in the top 5. I may not have liked the characters quite as much, but I thought that the continuation of a culture in the sky was pretty cool.

It is not a bad game. Its just overrated.
__________________
---Hyrule Historia Translations -Revisited, Reviewed & Revised - Japanese Text Included---


Translations:

SS --- TWW

1...........1
2...........2
3...........3
4...........4
5...........5
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 02:10 PM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: By the pinky.
View Posts: 8,872
Re: Is TP overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetracks View Post
Overrated? No, underrated if anything. "Oh no, emotionless characters and an empty overworld... WORST ZELDA GAME EVER GUYZ! DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO 9/10 OF ALL THE OTHER THINGS THAT THE GAME DID RIGHT!"

Granted it's not my favorite Zelda, but it's not bad.
Okay, what? Who in their right mind would complain that the characters are emotionless?

The emotional scenes may be terribly executed in a wide variety of ways but not so far as to make the characters look emotionless.
Last Edited by TheGhostOfMandrag; 02-14-2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason:
1 person liked this post: 齐天大圣
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 02:22 PM
齐天大圣 齐天大圣 is a male China 齐天大圣 is offline
Sage of The Palace Behind the Waterfall
Send a message via AIM to 齐天大圣 Send a message via Skype™ to 齐天大圣
Steam ID: 福瑞克
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: 俄亥俄州
View Posts: 3,050
Re: Is TP overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhostOfMandrag View Post
Okay, what? Who in their right mind would complain that the characters are emotionless?

The emotional scenes may be terribly executed in a wide variety of ways but not so far as to make the characters look emotionless.
The Only character I can honestly form an opinion on being emotionless is



THIS BABY FACED BASTARD...I can honestly say he did nothing, besides stand there with a blank emotionless stare at everything...like...ever
__________________

我不要死!我不要你们死!- 孙悟空
师傅啊,五百年没人来看我!- 齐天大圣
你害怕老孙的如意金箍棒吗?! - 美猴王
1 person liked this post: Balthier Bunansa
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Nensense Nensense is a male United States Nensense is offline
Douchebag Supreme
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Roseville, California.
View Posts: 1,089
Re: Is TP overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhostOfMandrag View Post
Okay, what? Who in their right mind would complain that the characters are emotionless?

The emotional scenes may be terribly executed in a wide variety of ways but not so far as to make the characters look emotionless.
They aren't necessarily emotionless, but they are all insanely paper thin depth wise, 1 dimensional, and all show emotion like Keanu Reeves does.
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Kamina Kamina is a male Austria Kamina is offline
Pierced the Heavens - Who the Hell do you think I am?!
Join Date: Feb 2011
View Posts: 1,011
Re: Is TP overrated?

All i see about TP since it's release are comments that are underrating it, only rarely good ones, so how can it be overrated?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDecimal View Post
The HH states that the DT is the result if the Hero failed. In the event the Hero could fail, the DT is what would transpire. relegates it to a "what if" scenario which explicitly with that, being stated as such in the book itself. And due to the fact the hero does indeed win to open the CT and AT.
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Envy Envy is a female United States Envy is offline
Sage of Wisdom
Wii U ID: WoodwindsRock
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA
View Posts: 2,883
Re: Is TP overrated?

I don't see how it could be overrated. All I ever see about it is hate, hate, hate.

But then again, I see the same thing for other things that are considered overrated.
__________________

------

  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 03:06 PM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: By the pinky.
View Posts: 8,872
Re: Is TP overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
All i see about TP since it's release are comments that are underrating it, only rarely good ones, so how can it be overrated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
I don't see how it could be overrated. All I ever see about it is hate, hate, hate.
The solution is obvious: everyone is supposed to hate it even more.
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 05:25 PM
1984 1984 is a male United States 1984 is offline
Daccus Illuminatus Misericors
Steam ID: nikohesus
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 'merica
View Posts: 6,436
Re: Is TP overrated?

Outside of ZU, TP is appreciated a lot. Even here, people love it.
Personally I can't understand why its elements are praised. There are good parts of TP, like the Hidden Village, but for me the experience was tainted by playing better Zelda and other games. It's an average game.
__________________
2 people liked this post: Eriks0n, Nensense
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
Hve­rungr
3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Asgard
View Posts: 22,425
Re: Is TP overrated?

I think fans underrate the ♥♥♥♥ out of that game. It seems that its only outside the fanbase that people go "hnngh TP!" Game is pretty fun and not bad at all.

(personally i think people overrate WW to hell and back.)
__________________

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
3 people liked this post: 齐天大圣, Feline Witch, Raikoh
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Silver Lining Silver Lining is a male United States Silver Lining is offline
Excelsior.
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Florida
View Posts: 3,146
Re: Is TP overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
Outside of ZU, TP is appreciated a lot. Even here, people love it.
It is? Every forum I go on has a general "meh" perception of TP. Any thread I see about it generally ends up being an argument between fans and haters.
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 07:09 PM
1984 1984 is a male United States 1984 is offline
Daccus Illuminatus Misericors
Steam ID: nikohesus
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 'merica
View Posts: 6,436
Re: Is TP overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common Knowledge View Post
It is? Every forum I go on has a general "meh" perception of TP. Any thread I see about it generally ends up being an argument between fans and haters.
NeoGAF seems to hold a pretty positive perception of TP. And considering most members of that forums are overly critical, I find this surprising.
__________________
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Primus Primus is a male Primus is offline
???????????
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: I am the planet.
View Posts: 1,387
Re: Is TP overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grooston View Post
Dude have you ever been in the Gamecube Zelda forums?

Anyways I think Twilight Princess is definitely overrated. I think it just barely passes as a good game and is nowhere near the quality a Zelda game should be. I've given countless reasons here as to why it's not that great (as have many others) and I'd the least of which is it's lack of originality. Sadly most Twilight Princess fans don't read what we post and love using Strawman Arguments.
I don't think originality should ever pass as reason for what makes TP bad. I mean, the game sure is original for first-time Zelda players. Under that logic, someone who plays TP before Oot or WW, will find TP the superior game, but that is not the case for many Zelda fans.

The execution of TP's gameplay is what makes me barf. I cannot get passed the second dungeon without quitting due to severe boredom. I only managed to do it once, and that was my first play through.
__________________
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Last Edited by Primus; 02-14-2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason:
1 person liked this post: Nensense
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Brad Brad is a male France Brad is offline
bonjour tout le monde
Steam ID: gamingcakes
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut most of the time
View Posts: 3,699
Re: Is TP overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
I don't think originality should ever pass as reason for what makes TP bad. I mean, the game sure is original for first-time Zelda players. Under that logic, someone who plays TP before Oot or WW, will find TP the superior game, but that is not the case for many Zelda fans.
TP was my first Zelda game, and I thought it was an okay game. Not great, especially considering the storied background of the series, but okay for video games in general. My overall reaction was "meh".
__________________
1 person liked this post: Nensense
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 08:07 PM
BennyLoz BennyLoz is a male United Kingdom BennyLoz is offline
Mogma
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: London
View Posts: 152
Re: Is TP overrated?

Overrated no, Underrated yes. I've seen way more negative comments about the game then I have positive. If you wanted to talk about an overrated game I would bring up WindWaker (which I have nothing against).
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Brad Brad is a male France Brad is offline
bonjour tout le monde
Steam ID: gamingcakes
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut most of the time
View Posts: 3,699
Re: Is TP overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLoz View Post
Overrated no, Underrated yes. I've seen way more negative comments about the game then I have positive. If you wanted to talk about an overrated game I would bring up WindWaker (which I have nothing against).
Your frame of reference is most likely within the Zelda community itself, which has a better sense of what game is good and what game is bad. Outside of our tiny box of the Internet, TP, and any game in the Zelda series for that matter, has garnered almost universal praise. We're talking about 10/10's for Phantom Hourglass, which if it weren't in a Zelda game, would have done much worse as reviews went around.
__________________
1 person liked this post: Eriks0n
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Feline Witch United Kingdom Feline Witch is offline
Light Spirit
Join Date: May 2005
Location: London
View Posts: 5,680
Re: Is TP overrated?

I agree with the person who said TWW was overrated. It wasn't a bad game, but I felt like in many ways it was a step down from previous Zeldas. I thought the story was epic, but mostly it had a meh experience for me. The sailing got old quick, and there were only about four or five islands that were actually interesting and big enough to explore. And too fetch quests and not enough dungeons, and the game actually changed my opinion from Tingle as a harmless and oddly funny character into a loathsome creepy money grubbing kidnapper and possible rapist (just ask David Jr).

Anyway, I think TP is a great game, and I really enjoyed it. I really think they took the formula of games like AlltP and OoT and pushed it to what is quite possibly the limit of that formula. In some ways, I enjoyed it more then SS. The dungeons were that good.

As for Malo...
I am sorry, but that child is the spawn of Satan, and none of you can convince me otherwise.
__________________
Link a la mode. No not Link in fashion, Link with ice cream.

You know its SEXY.

My friend's group. Join! http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/...n-society.html
Last Edited by Feline Witch; 02-14-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason:
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 09:08 PM
EternaLegend EternaLegend is offline
erudesu
Steam ID: EternaLegendEL
Join Date: Jan 2008
View Posts: 17,621
Re: Is TP overrated?

I have never seen TP as an overrated game.

I've seen more hatred towards it than praise. But then again I do read the opinions of the members on ZU than the reviews on those major gaming sites.
__________________
lol ZU
1 person liked this post: Florina Laufeyson
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-14-2012, 09:09 PM
jameslieb1 jameslieb1 is a male United States jameslieb1 is offline
Skyloftian
Join Date: Feb 2011
View Posts: 704
Re: Is TP overrated?

Overrated by semi-serious Zelda fans, overhated by serious Zelda fans. I'm a serious Zelda fan but I think it's a very good game, even if it did have its shortcomings.
Closed Thread

Tags
a tp hater, i'm not


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -