Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #161 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Solid Knight Solid Knight is offline
Skyloftian
Join Date: Jan 2008
View Posts: 752
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyaki View Post
I found this: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Why It Failed :: Zelda Informer

Could be the reason why it failed advertisement-wise.
They fumbled the rest of the game itself too and this didn't help matters. The truth is, they incorporated a lot of elements people did not want. They incorporated elements people hated in previous games as well.
Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: An Hero of Time, Silver Lining
  #162 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Milliontown Milliontown is offline
Kokiri
Join Date: Jun 2009
View Posts: 98
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasuto View Post
Actually, the entire soundtrack is orchestrated.

It's still the most disappointing Zelda game ever, though.
To the first point: not even close.

To the second: agreed. I feel as though the series took a considerable step backwards. At this point it feels like the franchise is about two generations behind where it should be in many regards.

This article is very interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #163 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Silver Lining Silver Lining is a male United States Silver Lining is offline
Excelsior.
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Florida
View Posts: 3,155
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Knight View Post
They fumbled the rest of the game itself too and this didn't help matters. The truth is, they incorporated a lot of elements people did not want. They incorporated elements people hated in previous games as well.
Agreed. I certainly think Nintendo's handling of this game's advertising played a part in it's lack of success, but I also feel that outside factors such as that can only be a part of the blame. The other truth that many people just don't want to admit is that maybe, just maybe, the majority of people didn't find the game itself appealing.
Reply With Quote
  #164 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-26-2012, 03:00 AM
Johnny Sokko Johnny Sokko is a male United States Johnny Sokko is offline
Hylian
Join Date: Dec 2011
View Posts: 609
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyaki View Post
I found this: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Why It Failed :: Zelda Informer

Could be the reason why it failed advertisement-wise.
A lot of interesting points in that article. I felt the 2010 trailer was underwhelming too, and I was pretty shocked by the artstyle, expecting the TP style again. And the embarrassing 2011 demo made me really apprehensive about the controls, while the pushback to a 2011 release made me pretty irritated--it was the TP delays all over again. Honestly, I was more excited for OoT3D, a game I've already played a dozen times, and later the nonexistent Zelda HD game than SS until about October.

So apparently Nintendo released an "Epic Trailer" for the UK 4 months after SS's release. Well, after watching it, all I have to say is: Daaaaammmmmnnnn!



What the hell was Nintendo thinking? If they showed THIS at e3 2010 (minus the spoilers, with the actual debut intro thrown in for good measure), you'd be able to hear the cries of Zelda fans all over the planet from space! It would have convinced even the most stubborn Zelda-virgins to try the series out. But instead we got a cruddy trailer/tech demo showing a too-bright Link swinging his sword at the camera and killing a few small-fry enemies.

There's a saying, the first impression is the most important, and looking back, Nintendo really messed up. I can imagine why anybody who went to or watched either e3's wouldn't be interested in SS. I'm hoping Nintendo gets it right with the next Zelda, giving us a debut that'll blow TP's away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common Knowledge View Post
Agreed. I certainly think Nintendo's handling of this game's advertising played a part in it's lack of success, but I also feel that outside factors such as that can only be a part of the blame. The other truth that many people just don't want to admit is that maybe, just maybe, the majority of people didn't find the game itself appealing.
But why's that? As I see it, there only are a few things people know about the game without playing it or indulging in potential spoilers. People know the game's artstyle, that it uses Wii Motion+, that the game got generally phenomenal reviews, and that it's a Zelda game. The rest is all advertising.

Potential buyers can't just look at the game and tell that there's a lack of exploration or too much handholding or fetchquests or whatever--the only way they'd find that out is if they play the game themselves or frequent forums/message boards, in which case they were already interested in buying the game and probably wouldn't be deterred by what a few anonymous people on the Internet say, especially when the majority of the fans sing high praise for the game. I just don't understand what kinds of "internal" factors would turn buyers away if the game was getting perfect scores all over the place; was it the GameSpot review? Zero Punctuation? (haha)

I think SS was just facing a lot of struggles from the get-go (no momentum on the Wii, peripheral needed, poor marketing, stiff competition, etc.) that really cut out on the sales, especially from people on the fence about getting it.

I'd say the market of the Wii itself hurt sales; judging from a comparison of the Wii's hardcore, first party, triple A games like Metroid Prime 3 (1.31 million sales, released August 27, 2007) to low-key, third party, 56% Metacritic shovelware like Carnival Games (1.5 million sales, released the same day, August 27, 2007), the market for games like Zelda already seems pretty bleak.

And before somebody brings up the inevitable TP comparison, it should be noted that TP was a launch title on the Wii and that launch titles always sell more than they would regularly, on the basis that they are one of the few games that you can play on your new system. There was no Mario or Metroid or Smash Bros in Wii's early years, and the only flagship Nintendo game was TP, inflating the sales of the Wii version. In addition, by getting out earlier, the game obviously would get better life-long sales over the years from new Wii owners. The GameCube version sold 1.32 million to the Wii's 5.82 million, and if the "internal" factors like the fact that waggling is crap had a say, it'd be the other way around. But that's the difference being a launch title and being a swansong can make in terms of sales.
Reply With Quote
  #165 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Milliontown Milliontown is offline
Kokiri
Join Date: Jun 2009
View Posts: 98
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegargoylevine View Post

But why's that? As I see it, there only are a few things people know about the game without playing it or indulging in potential spoilers. People know the game's artstyle, that it uses Wii Motion+, that the game got generally phenomenal reviews, and that it's a Zelda game. The rest is all advertising.
I feel like you're only giving a little attention to a very big point. The art style absolutely played a part in Skyward Sword's sales performance. We can bicker back and forth about whether it's creative or what not here, but the fact of the matter is that in this current gaming climate Skyward Sword looks good only in comparison to a Nintendo 64 game. Especially after being led on to believe that the game would be done in a completely different tone due to the original poster, it was quite a turn off. If someone isn't already into the Zelda games the way we are, they certainly aren't starting here.

Remember how much buzz that Wii U tech demo got (before we knew it was just a tech demo)? Even on this very forum the talk about that nearly completely overshadowed the news on Skyward Sword. A game that looks like that doesn't need anyone to try and convince us that the game is current or worth playing. For most people, Skyward Sword did though and it clearly didn't work with enough people.

A thirteen year old 3D conversion of a Nintendo 64 game has soundly defeated Skyward Sword in sales, both in actual numbers and consistency (Skyward Sword had a huge drop off after the initial release boost). I understand that there are other variables involved skewing those numbers, but still, let that sink in for a moment.

Hopefully Nintendo looks through how all of this was handled and reviews the sales numbers and decides to do things differently next time around. In my opinion the worst thing they could do is just assume it did poorly because it was the end of the Wii's life span.
Reply With Quote
  #166 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Solid Knight Solid Knight is offline
Skyloftian
Join Date: Jan 2008
View Posts: 752
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliontown View Post
Hopefully Nintendo looks through how all of this was handled and reviews the sales numbers and decides to do things differently next time around. In my opinion the worst thing they could do is just assume it did poorly because it was the end of the Wii's life span.
They'll blame it on marketing.
Reply With Quote
  #167 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Silver Lining Silver Lining is a male United States Silver Lining is offline
Excelsior.
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Florida
View Posts: 3,155
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

At some point Nintendo's got to realize that going for what's "creative" isn't always the best option. I mean, look at this sales chart (I got this from this Neogaf thread: Worldwide shipment for Super Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart - NeoGAF)



Now, we could argue about all these outside factors all we want, and some probably do have some merit, but just glancing at this chart, we see OoT and TP towering over most of the others (the original's pretty high too). One of the first things that should come to Nintendo's mind is that people prefer realistic artstyles over "creative" ones. Second, the thing both OoT and TP share is the feeling of grandness and huge adventure. OoT redefined the adventure game genre when it was released. Riding on Epona through a vast field in a magical world to explore was an experience people were dying to try out. TP was seemingly going to replicate that feeling on a much bigger scale, with large scale battles and a variety of landscapes, and whether it actually did or not is besides the point. People get excited about large scale action-adventuring; that's the bottom line. And I know some of you will be disgusted at me for bringing it up, but seriously, look at Skyrim's sales. No, I'm not suggesting for Zelda to become an Elder Scrolls clone, but that game once again shows the type of experience people want to be having. Large scale adventuring.

I realize advertising was a big role in TP's success, because the game certainly didn't live up to it's promises. But it sure as hell worked to get people hyped up by just suggesting they type of game it was going to be.

And that's why it's so baffling how Nintendo did SS, both with advertising and the actual game design itself. The marketing was piss-poor, true, but what of the actual game would have really made people excited for it anyway? The first footage was a tech demo of Link rolling bombs, shooting arrows, and swinging his sword around with motion controls, in a bland looking forest setting. They could have showed him using them to solve the myriad of puzzles the game threw at you instead, but that wouldn't be much improvement.

SS's marketing, as poor as it was, was still a valid indication of the game it would become. The final game was much more highly polished than early footage, but the content Nintendo teased us with when it first came out was essentially what we would be getting. It wasn't being hyped up as this grand scale adventure game, because it wasn't going to be.
Last Edited by Silver Lining; 05-26-2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
3 people liked this post: Coconut Water, Double A, Viajero de la Galaxia
  #168 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-26-2012, 01:57 PM
keyaki keyaki is a male keyaki is offline
Light Spirit
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ~
View Posts: 6,300
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

And of course we got this MOFO:

The Escapist : Video Galleries : Zero Punctuation : The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword


For me, I love SS so far. Though I can sympathize with the animosity. Fi pisses me the ❤❤❤❤ off. And the Motion Control, I hated from the start. It seems like they put too much emphasis in the motion control and how you control the sword in the SS to make the game itself fun.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #169 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Fierce Deity Sword Fierce Deity Sword is a male Fierce Deity Sword is offline
Deku Scrub
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Termina
View Posts: 3
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

SS was a fun yet challenging LoZ game. It had bosses where you held your breath,and moments where you put it down to cry
Last Edited by Fierce Deity Sword; 05-26-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #170 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-26-2012, 09:22 PM
keyaki keyaki is a male keyaki is offline
Light Spirit
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ~
View Posts: 6,300
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce Deity Sword View Post
SS was a fun yet challenging LoZ game. It had bosses where you held your breath,and moments where you put it down to cry
And that the same time, its often overshadowed by the pain the ass motion control and other things that hurt the game's success.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #171 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Milliontown Milliontown is offline
Kokiri
Join Date: Jun 2009
View Posts: 98
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Knight View Post
They'll blame it on marketing.
It would definitely be nice to see marketing that isn't a nightmare, but I hope they put more focus on making a better game.
Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Double A
  #172 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Lionhead4 Lionhead4 is a male United States Lionhead4 is offline
Hero of Wisdom
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NY
View Posts: 83
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

My personal opinion about this game is that it was very lazy. and again this is just my opinion, many people loved this game, and good for them. First I didn't like the graphics, but not every game can look the same so i don't "take points" away for that. What I think DOES hurt Nintendo was the lack of creativity. Just an overview of the adventure: first three temples, we follow zelda around to three different areas of the ground, each time finding out she's already moved on to the next place except the last one, where we see her for a brief scene and then she's gone again. Call me crazy but that's just irritating. Then we're off to power up our sword so we can go find zelda again. Hold on a sec, in Wind Waker, didn't we go around the Great Sea trying to find temples to power up the master sword to free zelda? HMM. Yup, we've already done that. My next biggest complaint was the battle. Yes, it was very cool how accurate the sword was, it doesnt bother me at all that we have to occasionally re-calibrate it in fact I'm happy that they made it so easy to do. I just think it's ridiculous that 90% of the enemies we had to fight were which way we had to swing the sword. some Bosses, some semi bosses and the dumb bokoblins that were EVERYWHERE all depended on the direction. Next complaint is that there were only four places to go: the three surface areas and skyloft. the lack of locations meant that we were always there, and nothing ever changed! and the fact that the mode of transformation was TERRIBLE. creative maybe, but annoying as hell. if you forgot something in skyloft when you got to faron woods, you had to fly all the way back to skyloft and all the way back to faron again. the only shortcuts were where you descended into the area. they at least should have added a way to get from faron to eldin to lanayru without going to the sky. THE HARP. i hated the howling in TP, but thats amazing compared to swinging your arm at a certain speed while a robotic voice sings. Sidequests: the only one the skyward sword has was the gratitude crystals. someone said that OoT was just as bad with the Biggoron sword, but if that's all you did you missed a lot. there was also the happy mask game and the magic items that needed to be found but were'nt required (fire and ice arrow, din's fire farore's wind nayru's love). Swittching from Day to Night was irritating, and the adventure pouch thing was stupid. I understand that they wanted it to be more realistic by having him carry limited items, but if he can only carry two bottles a shield and a few medals at one point, why can he also carry a bow, quiver, gust bellows, slingshot, butterfly net, whip, beetle, and clawshots? All or nothing nintendo, can't do halfway. Stuff that I DID like about the game was the Silent Realms (shocker, I know) the goddess cubes which i thought were cute, and the weapon and potion upgrades. It was a nice game to play through, but it will be awhile before I play it again, compared to once I get through OoT or TP i say HELL YEAH, ONE MORE TIME!! easily have played both of them four times each, with masterquest for OoT. and again, don't hate, just my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #173 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2012, 04:18 PM
tlozbj tlozbj is a male Puerto Rico tlozbj is offline
Light Spirit
Wii U ID: Tlozbj 3DS ID: 0001-3303-1181
Join Date: May 2012
View Posts: 4,246
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

it was good but the great disapointment was that you could see the graphics pixels when you used timeshift stones or use one of the tablets to open a new way to the surface
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #174 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Kuya Kuya is a male Philippines Kuya is offline
Therein, they're in there in their inn.
Steam ID: cereal_bawks Wii U ID: Cereal_Bawks 3DS ID: 0989-1785-1204

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eryth
View Posts: 8,423
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWGM View Post
OoT did not have lots of side quests. It pretty much had the Biggoron Sword side quest
Gerudo Training Grounds, getting Epona, Heart Pieces, Gold Skulltulas, Golden Scale, Bottles, Mask sidequest, etc....

Not to mention OoT had pretty much as much sidequests (well, not exactly sidequests, more like things to do to complete it 100%) as MM.

Quote:
OoT was small compared to all of those and SS.
You could say the same for TP.

Quote:
So is SS.
To a lesser extent. SS had a lot of hand-holding.

Quote:
Harp bro.
I don't consider that a magical instrument. All you do is hold A and swing the Wiimote left and right. With the Ocarina and the Baton, you could at least play songs with it.

However, the harp is a lot better than Wolf Link's howls.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #175 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-30-2012, 01:51 AM
IgnatianAMDG IgnatianAMDG is a male United States IgnatianAMDG is offline
Deku Scrub
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cleveland
View Posts: 7
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

Personally, I liked Skyward Sword. I did not, however, love it.

The dragons were goofy and the "song" portions they gave Link were atrocious. The controls tended to goof up (but that is to be expected since they are trying this out). The music was not as good as in ALttP, OoT, MM, and tWW. The characters for the most part were forgettable (the dragons except perhaps the thunder one, the mogmas, the creatures in the forest, most people in Skyloft, etc). The story had promise, but I felt really let down with the 'origins' of the Master Sword. EDIT - The bosses were also disappointing, especially that monstrosity in ship level. It is bad when the mini-boss outshines the actual dungeon boss.

These reasons do not, however, make SS bad. They just do not make it "great". The biggest thing I had with SS is the mere fact that the "adventure" simply was not there. Zelda should be like ALttP, tWW, or MM where there are magical, power, and mysterious items or other things out there apart from the main story that you just need to set out in a particular direction and look around. Its that feeling of being overwhelmed with your surroundings and being a part but not the whole of the environment. The opportunity was there with the sky, similar to the ocean with tWW. Instead, there are no powerful upgrades, no magical weapons, and no deadly and mysterious monsters. It was all linear and it felt scripted.
Last Edited by IgnatianAMDG; 05-30-2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: bosses Reply With Quote
  #176 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-30-2012, 04:49 AM
Kasuto Kasuto is a male Kasuto is offline
The Space Sage
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eastern Hyrule
View Posts: 866
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliontown View Post
To the first point: not even close.
Could you provide a link to back that up?
__________________
Of course I'm right - I'm an old man.
Reply With Quote
  #177 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Milliontown Milliontown is offline
Kokiri
Join Date: Jun 2009
View Posts: 98
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasuto View Post
Could you provide a link to back that up?
I wanted to find a link that simply said that not all of the tracks were orchestrated, but that is proving to be more difficult than I thought.

Instead, I'll just point to a few music tracks that are definitely created electronically.

Earth temple:


Lanayru Desert:


Lanayru Sand Sea:


Faron Woods:


Eldin Volcano (possibly the most obvious. I hate this song):


There are several more, but those are a few of the biggies. The orchestral songs though I felt were strong for the most part. Like this one:

Reply With Quote
  #178 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2012, 05:59 AM
Wolvagia Wolvagia is a male United Kingdom Wolvagia is offline
Deku Scrub
Join Date: Jun 2012
View Posts: 3
Unhappy Skyward Sword was unfortunately a disappointment

Sadly, I would have to agree. Skyward Sword had many bad elements that put me off on my second playthrough. Here is a list:

The Good:

Excellent new races (the kikwis, the parella, the ancient robots)

Great Items design (the beetle, the bow, the gust bellow)

Great use of items

Bosses were very strategic

Fluent Flying Controls

Sky keep was great

The Bad:

Dungeons had similar elements
- Earth Temple and Fire Sanctuary were fire based
- Sandship and Mining Facility were sand based

An arctic region might of been a good idea?

No savage labyrinth (I know about the boss run from Lanayru but no)

Few memorable enemies (Darknuts? Mothula? Redead?)

Cutscenes did drag a bit

Fi consistently gives you tutorials

Tentalus was a really poor boss

Ghirahim took up the boss of two temples

Poor draw distance (mountains and trees)

Shield is a bit glitchy for me (I never use it)

I have finished this game only once and have on numerous occasions tried to go back and play it again but I just can't enjoy it like Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time. The first time I finished it it took just over 24 hours to complete, with 16 heart containers and 56 gratitude crystals. It's a shame too because I really hoped Skyward Sword would define Zelda history like o.o.t. did. Sorry if this sounds like a rant.
Last Edited by Wolvagia; 06-11-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #179 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2012, 08:21 AM
lulles lulles is a female Brazil lulles is offline
doo dee doo
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: somewhere
View Posts: 831
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvagia View Post
[...]

The Bad:

Lack of Dungeon Variety
- Earth Temple and Fire Sanctuary were fire based
- Sandship and Mining Facility were sand based
- No Snow ruins. No Wind Shrine, No Shadow Asylum
- Only seven dungeons

No arctic region (Hylia's arctic maybe)

No savage labyrinth (I know about the boss run from Lanayru but no)

Few memorable enemies (Darknuts? Mothula? Redead?)

Too Many Unskippable Cutscenes!!! (a few hours in and minimal gameplay)

Lack of character depth (Midna had great depth to her character)

Fi consistently gives you tutorials

Boss fights were not brillant (Tentalus)

Ghirahim and the imprisoned fought too often

Glitchy landscapes and poor draw distance (mountains and trees)

Controls often glitch (sword goes the opposite direction) (Glitchy shield)

Link sometimes runs in one direction randomly

Why is the cloud barrier not present when on the surface?
Wow, I disagree with you on everything.
Since when is seven dungeons too few?
Why is an arctit regiona must?
I kind of agree with you on lack of memorable enemies.
And since when is seven dungeons too few?
I personally love cutscenes, and if you think Skyward Sword's cutscenes were long, go play Metal Gear Solid 4 and you'll feel the pain of what long cutscenes really are.
As for lack of character depth, I couldn't disagree more. To me, Skyward Sword has a number of the best character in the entire series. I just want to hug everyone in that game.
All the boss fights were brilliant but Tentalu's. Skyward Sword was one of the Zelda game in which I had the most fun fighting bosses.
I loved having to fight Ghirahim more than once; he was an active villain that constanly tried to fulfill his plans.
The controls rarely glitched with me.
And Link ran in random direction with you probably because your nunchuck has a problem.
__________________
Last Edited by lulles; 06-02-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: GG Report Casillas, maygirl416
  #180 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-02-2012, 08:46 AM
fohlin™ fohlin™ is a male Sweden fohlin™ is online now
Oneuedsmtåt om potatisgratäng

Join Date: Oct 2010
View Posts: 3,900
Re: Why Skyward sword was a disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvagia View Post
No Shadow Asylum
With this...I guess you mean a Shadow Temple-ish?
Did you miss the 2:nd part of Ancient Cistern? You know, the shadowy place with Zombie Bokoblins and chains and skulls.
__________________
Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: GG Report Casillas, maygirl416
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 AM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -