Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2012, 02:25 PM
WadeVillines WadeVillines is a male United States WadeVillines is offline
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 2
Skyward Sword feel like it's missing something?

Sorry to any die-hard Skyward Sword fans out there, but I have a problem. Yes, SS was a great game, but, it felt like it was missing something. I can't put my finger on it, but it's like it lacks the "Zelda mojo" that I've come to expect from these games. I think some of it might be the music, or how the transportation takes less than 2 minutes now, and the dialogue is way too casual.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Mogma
View Posts: 151
Re: Skyward Sword feel like it's missing something?

I only felt that there wasn't enough areas to explore on land, but I got over that quick and thought it felt like any other Zelda game. Maybe it didn't really meet your high expectations?.
2 people liked this post: Esalia, Lazara the Last
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2012, 03:26 PM
with a chance of euphoria
View Posts: 11,515

Lack of an EPIC BATTLE. I was expecting more.

#4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 29

Skyward Sword feels both an outstanding game and a flawed,deeply vacuous experience at the same time,which is the very first time I've ever felt like this towards a game in particular. I can tell you what caused such a state:

- Lack of Exploration and the lack of balance - Along with Metroid,Zelda was the very first game to approach the design of an actual video game as an experience and not just as a full-blown artificial bunch of permutations that the player must complete. By stabilishing a central objective,but overshadowing its importance for the utter joy of discovering secrets and,in essence,inserting yourself in the game as a player,as a subjective actor into its logical basis and allowing the feeling of adventure sink in,just as Mr. Myamoto always desired to do. This non-linear and expansive design mentality would extend itself to most games of the series as a whole,from Link to the Past and its refinment of the formula,to Ocarina of Time and its perfect balance of artificiality/gamer experience by applying ALTTP's structure to a living 3d world and shaterring the concept of distance between the player and the playable world (although it does reference itself as a mere ilusion through thematic unities like the lens of truth,for example),to Majora's utter parody of the duality the series created for itself and the very parody of what Ocarina was and what the Link of Ocarina represented as a blank-slate character without identity and as a narrative character who lost his identity by being forced into becoming the Hero of Time. This thin balance the series maintains is reinforced by Skyward in its dualities: organic matter/cold machine(Link as the manifestation of the player/Fii and its constant interference), ethereal sky/concrete surface,(etc)but never defined: it constantly shifts between the desire for artificiality and its ambition for complete player interaction,between the parody of Majora and the seriousness of Ocarina,never attaining either. As such,the streamlined approach that the game applies to its structure (linearity,dowsing mchanic,freaking Fii) is in constant opposition to its story and interaction with the world (village,cutscenes,etc) and such cripples the overall experience. The moment I most remember in any Zelda game is lake Hylia and Iron Boots usage from TP: I knew the pressure of the story,but became completly one with the passage of time and days,the fragments of light shiverring in the water... it felt real and it desired to be. SS feels a mess of concept,all in all.

No identity - SS attempts a great synthesis of the series,that being its prime concept and desire;while it does just that in a magnificent manner,it lacks a proper identity. Everything the game does is a concept from a prior adventure or an idea from another source. As such,to act in SS is to reply to the series as a structure and not as an experience, at last making the player realize that what he does is only of purpose because another time he has done it and it meant something at that specific time.

Overall design of areas - Just as the main concept of the game is reuniting the common tropes of the series into one experience tht feels as the primal light (that light evoked by the art style) of the series,just as it mentions the formation of the most important components of the series as a whole,the design philosophy retrieves Metroid for how much Zelda and that series are kindred spirits in mentality: to create an experience above all else,to diminish act from subject from reaction of object. However,Metroid plays with this design by making the player discover in their first run (pure player experience) and make them perfect their control of the games prerrogatives (artificial experience) in their second run,making the first half more irrelevant in subsequent playthroughs. Zelda only accomplished this in Majora and its usage of masks and retrieval of time and space as core tennets of player experience;SS attempts it,but fails miserably by approaching the areas in a mechanical,emotionless manner. So many times did I feel myself running through a corridor in SS,without expression or personal movement: is that what a Zelda game should be?

Motion controls: the grace of a flawed execution - The controls in SS are great,full kinectic expressions of fluent experience by playing with the mimetic barrier that separates the game as object from the player as subject. However,they come at the cost of plurality of objectives: how many times did you just need to hit a button in a specific manner with your sword? How many times did you really concentrate in defeating an enemy? How many times wasn't the solution to something "shake your sword at it?"? I know the Sword and its reevaluation is the main theme of the game,but wasn't it overused in dull ways?

Sorry for the wall of text. Still like SS,though. Be gentle with the possible grammar issues guys,i'm portuguese.
Last Edited by RDV333; 01-22-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
3 people liked this post: Carge-N-Targe, Kurokoi, The Doctor
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2012, 04:54 PM
Johnny Sokko Johnny Sokko is a male United States Johnny Sokko is offline
Hylian
View Posts: 609

Yeah: fishing.

It could have been amazing with WM+. I was surprised they didn't put a fishing mini-game in Lake Floria or better yet, the Sand Sea. It's a shame, because fishing was my favorite part of TP.
5 people liked this post: Bill, Esalia, EternaLegend, LuminaForce37, MajorMajora
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2012, 06:24 PM
The Hero of Time
View Posts: 1,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDV333 View Post
Skyward Sword feels both an outstanding game and a flawed,deeply vacuous experience at the same time,which is the very first time I've ever felt like this towards a game in particular.
I feel the same way. I love Skyward Sword, and think it's one of the best Zeldas. But at the same time, there were many problems I had with it.
Fi was okay on my first playthrough, and I didn't really notice her annoyingness. When I played Hero Mode (I still am), I noticed it. I realized just how stupidly annoying she is. She practically ruins the whole experience. She keeps talking to you like you're a complete idiot, and tells you exactly what to do and how to do it in every "puzzle" situation in the game. She basically paes a road for you to walk on without any real difficulties for yourself. I don't really like being completely left on my own like in Zelda 1 and 2, but SS was far too easy in terms of how linear and obvious your quest was. I prefer something (as far as linearity and easyness to know where you're going and how) more like MM, where you had a good idea of where to go, but you had to figure out everything in between.
My second problem was the enemies. I liked the new WM+ controls being implemented into fighting enemies and they worked quite well. I liked how you needed certain slashes to defeat enemies. But the biggest problem I had with enemies in the game is diversity. I'd say at least 80% of the enemies you face in the game are a Bokoblin variation. And another 5 to 10 percent were DekuBabas. This got really boring and tedious. There were so may other enemies that they could have used, but no, they kept reusing the same ones. They could have used Darknuts, Wizrobes, Dodongos, WallMasters, and so many more.

Again, I love SS. I still have not gotten bored with it a single time (*glares at TP*), and it's very fun to replay. I love many of the new features and improvements like the item system and boss rush stuff and much more. But with an amazing and huge game, comes many flaws. But despite the flaws, SS is still my current favorite Zelda game.

Played some, but not beat yet/Simply Beat/100% complete at least one quest/Not played at all
(not counting 2nd quests in any category)

LoZ, AoL, ALttP, LADX, OoT, MM, OoS, OoA, TWW, FSA, TMC, TP, PH, ST,
OoT3D, FS:AE, SS
, ALBW
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 110

This is what's been missing that you can't put your finger on:

you're welcome
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 06:35 AM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 23

I think the main problem people have with Skyward Sword is the lack of exploration. And I felt very dissapointed too, because they give you this huge sky with lots of potential exploration and possibilities...and all it has are some flying rocks with 1 treasure chest :\

But it didn't completely ruin the experience for me, because besides that the game is stellar. It's the 4th best game in the series to me, and I hope from now on we can see a new beggining for The Legend of Zelda =D
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Am I the only person ____?
View Posts: 10,051

I can list a handful of little things that I wish had been in the game, but as for something fundamental to the game's core, no, nothing felt missing or off to me.

I just wish there had been more areas to explore, more enemies to battle, and even more side-quests. Skyward Sword had a fair amount of content, but I was expecting even more.

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature!
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 AM
It's All Too Much
Send a message via Skype™ to DeiStar
View Posts: 2,513

No fairy fountains, lack of exploration, small maps...
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 10:57 AM
ELpaca

View Posts: 17,372

The lack of exploration was one. But I guess the provinces were large enough for me not to really complain about their sizes.

I think the biggest one for me was the fact that SS only has one central town, unlike in the other Zelda games where Kakariko village exists etc. But then again I dunno because you have games like MM where it had only one central town as well - which I didn't mind at all.

So in the end, I thought it was just the lack of some major explorations? I can't really put my finger on it anymore.

Ich Will: "As a kid I remember grabbing cats by their tails and spinning them around like you do with Bowser in Mario 64. Then I'd throw them away. Dunno if I got that from the game though lol."
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 11:59 AM
♥♥♥♥♥♥
View Posts: 586

In coming generic rant about how this game does not feel like a zelda.
Felt Zelda skyward sword was lacking compere to previous for 10 good reason:
5. Theres amount of enemies in this small compare to other zelda games: Whatever happen to those darknuts? Where the Dodongos to bomb? Redead are replace by cursed bokoblins? where in the world are those annoying wallmaster that everyone hates? infact where are those famous enemies that been around since the original zelda?

4. What ever happen to tunic I know why they are replace by things like firesheild ring and the dragon scale but do they deserve to be absent in this game, I mean it was a tradition since legend of zelda to multi coloured tunics.

3. Skyward sword plays more mario then zelda: Platforming element like runing and jumping in zelda? Music that sounds it coming from mario galaxy? The areas feel more like levels then place you explore? A Hub area? A bird that you ride on? Boulder rolling. My god this feels more like mario game then zelda.

2. Most of the subquests are mostly compose of generic fetchquest like get this random and give it to the who need it that give the macguffin that require to give to the generic item collecting quest giver.

1. Rehashed bossess Do you really want to fight imprisonend 4 times(if you count the fight as Demise) and ghirahim 3 times. That 7 out of 13 boss for this game.

Rant over.
Last Edited by zeldafan888; 01-23-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Guardian Dragon
Send a message via AIM to Lanayru_ Send a message via Yahoo to Lanayru_
View Posts: 2,088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven497 View Post
Lack of an EPIC BATTLE. I was expecting more.

Koloktos? Demise? I wasn't the biggest fan of the Horde, but that was supposed to be "epic".
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 12:13 PM
zeldalives4ever zeldalives4ever is a female United States zeldalives4ever is offline
In our hearts and in our souls
Send a message via Yahoo to zeldalives4ever
View Posts: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deku Nukem View Post
This is what's been missing that you can't put your finger on:

you're welcome

^exactlly! I almost crapped my pants when I saw that a Goron was in the game.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 12:24 PM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist
View Posts: 8,872

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanayru_ View Post

Koloktos? Demise? I wasn't the biggest fan of the Horde, but that was supposed to be "epic".
Tentalus as well. The monster may not have been epic but the fight sure as hell was.
2 people liked this post: Dr. Ludwig, Esalia
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Skyloftian
View Posts: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeVillines View Post
Sorry to any die-hard Skyward Sword fans out there, but I have a problem. Yes, SS was a great game, but, it felt like it was missing something. I can't put my finger on it, but it's like it lacks the "Zelda mojo" that I've come to expect from these games. I think some of it might be the music, or how the transportation takes less than 2 minutes now, and the dialogue is way too casual.
Definitely. It's the lack of exploration, that is what made most of the previous LOZ games memorable.

The temples are much smaller, basically going from one room to the next, rather than moving around and figuring it out.

Also, the overworld was drab. Of the 40 or so islands, only 5 of them contain anything meaningful, the others were just a chunk of land with a treasure chest, so I would have liked to see more islands with meaningful content.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Am I the only person ____?
View Posts: 10,051

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldafan888 View Post
4. What ever happen to tunic I know why they are replace by things like firesheild ring and the dragon scale but do they deserve to be absent in this game, I mean it was a tradition since legend of zelda to multi coloured tunics.
False. Majora's Mask? Wind Waker? Minish Cap? Haven't played the DS games, but I don't think there are alternate tunics in those either.

Quote:
3. Skyward sword plays more mario then zelda: Platforming element like runing and jumping in zelda? Music that sounds it coming from mario galaxy? The areas feel more like levels then place you explore? A Hub area? A bird that you ride on? Boulder rolling. My god this feels more like mario game then zelda.
How can it be a legitimate platformer when there isn't even a jump button? Actions like sprinting and more quickly scaling ledges were welcome and overdue.

I find it interesting how some people find the music is too minimal/atmospheric, while others find that it is too much like Mario Galaxy. Given that Mario Galaxy music is loud and powerful, these critiques don't seem very consistent with one another.

If the music sounds like Mario Galaxy, maybe it is simply due to the orchestration. One of the only songs in the entire game that had distinct Galaxy flavor to it, in my opinion, was the sky theme, which also happened to be one of my least favorite tracks. Too loud and grating--so much so that I would often turn the volume down. Another song that gave me a Galaxy vibe was the Moldarch/Koloktos battle, but I'm not complaining there because that was great boss music.

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature!
Last Edited by Bill; 01-23-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 05:11 PM
LET IT GO LET IT GO DON'T GIVE A CARE ANYMORE
Send a message via Skype™ to Snurtlicious
View Posts: 4,189

Honestly, my biggest issue with Skyward Sword, is the lack of memorable music. The only song I could sing to you is the Ballad of the Goddess. I mean, while playing through it I liked the songs, but I couldn't capture them in my mind. Twilight Princess or Ocarina of Time, on the other hand, both have amazing soundtracks and I could probably identify any tune from either of them. I just feel like if it had better music I would probably like it more.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the comparison to Super Mario Galaxy. The only song that I really noticed it in is the Sky Theme, but it was enough to make me want to hurt someone.

Last Edited by Snurtlicious; 01-23-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 05:12 PM
LuminaForce37 LuminaForce37 is a male United States LuminaForce37 is offline
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 338

It was missing connectedness. Every area was disconnected and didn't feel like a cohesive world as a whole. It felt like Four Swords, where you pick your level and go there. It felt like you could play the Sky Level, The Forest Level, The Mountain Level, or the Desert Level. If you could travel from one place to other without using the sky, maybe it would have been better... but I think they dropped the ball on that one. You can't travel around in the past, either. that would have been epic, and reminded me of The Dark World, or 7 Years in the future in OoT. To see everything that's the same, but completely different is a powerful gameplay mechanic that Zelda has implemented before. I was really surprised that I couldn't do more exploring.
2 people liked this post: Compassionate Sora, Esalia
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 05:16 PM
with a chance of euphoria
View Posts: 11,515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanayru_ View Post

I wouldnt call the demise battle epic. I wouldnt say Kolaktos was epic. He was just annoying. The hoard was the closest.