Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2012, 02:55 AM
Boss
View Posts: 73
The area you can't revisit

Hey guys!

Not sure if this has been covered as i haven't seen any posts on it, but I was just wondering about that cavern-like area in Lanayru Gorge before you discover that the Thunder Dragon is sick and you have to get the fruit. I really enjoyed that particular segment, with the Time shift crystal travelling on the mine cart and you having to wait for it to uncover vines on the wall and whatnot.

But after revisiting the area i realised there's no way to get back in there. The cart with the Time shift crystal is now stuck in place in the middle of the area.
Although, there wasn't much in that place anyway, it just bugs me that there's an area in the game that you can no longer go through and is blocked off. Unless of course i'm completely wrong and there IS a way.

Generally what are you're thoughts about this? Should a Zelda game block off areas just because it is no longer relevant to the story and there is no reason to go back, or should they leave everything openly accessible regardless of whether or not it is still relevant.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2012, 03:01 AM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 29
Re: The area you can't revisit

I don't think it was even that fun to the point where you want to go back. I was pretty frustrated at that part til my 12 time in counting. I disagree unless there was a valuable 1 of a kind treasure or an item needed for 100%
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2012, 03:07 AM
Zeldablue777 Zeldablue777 is a female United States Zeldablue777 is offline
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,809

I really liked that part.

It should've turned into a minigame. xP

But yeah, it is really lame. I believe TP did that with the sewers and ALttP did that with a few things as well.

It's still a bit saddening though.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2012, 03:08 AM
Crimson and Clover, over and over
View Posts: 4,259

I'd be nice to go back, but I think the only way is to start the game over again. That puzzle was a really neat one for sure tho.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2012, 03:52 AM
ELpaca

View Posts: 17,368

It happens in Zelda games from time to time.

Not many areas get blocked off for good, but you do get them. I hate it towards the areas that I enjoy the most.

Ich Will: "As a kid I remember grabbing cats by their tails and spinning them around like you do with Bowser in Mario 64. Then I'd throw them away. Dunno if I got that from the game though lol."
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2012, 05:00 AM
Boss

Oh yeah i forgot about the sewer's in TP...
Like Zeldablue777 said, a mini game would've been nice. I spent an hour or two trying to find a way into the damn place - i was so determined too.

Nintendo really has me on edge at times, sometimes i have my doubts. I was so certain there'd be night time flying, but i was extremely disappointed when i found out there wasn't and I know i'm not the only one. Come on, you'd think that Nintendo would know how much we wanted to fly against the moon and the stars in the background.

I can only hope that the Wii U Zelda will be much more dense. Not saying SS isn't but there's just so many little things to improve.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,169

I always find it weird feeling when Link can't visit a nearby area because he is physically unable. It just kinda makes it very obvious that this is only a video game.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Daring Do
View Posts: 605

like in WW in the forsaken fortress, the ship remnants blocking the way. if it were real life anyone could just climb over them relatively simply, but Link cant. But at least nothing important was there, unlike the poes in TP's sewers and rooftops
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,169

Exactly. I'm sitting there, like "try harder Link!". Mario could do it.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Hiroshi Yamauchi. Former president of Nintendo. Rest in peace.
Send a message via Yahoo to Chad
View Posts: 9,306

I can't say I like it when areas get closed off. It's really bad if you miss something important or very valuable in a game, and sometimes you just find an area that's fun to go through for some reason, but it blocked off. A section of forest in TP comes to mind since the poison fog never goes away. I'm not sure why developers do that.

......................................../`````````````````````````````````````````\
.........TWW-PH-ST-(LoZ-AoL)-(OoX)-TMC-FS-FSA-ALttP-LA-(OoX)-(LoZ-AoL)
OoT<.............................................. \____________________/
.........MM-TP
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Anouki
View Posts: 35

I'm also dislike it when areas become permanently blocked off. And what is it with sewers? The town's sewer in The Minish Cap also become inaccessible after a certain point in the game...and there's a treasure chest in there that could be lost forever.
Last Edited by euler; 01-07-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2012, 04:35 PM
It's All Too Much
Send a message via Skype™ to DeiStar
View Posts: 2,513

Quote:
Originally Posted by langford View Post
I always find it weird feeling when Link can't visit a nearby area because he is physically unable. It just kinda makes it very obvious that this is only a video game.
4th wall is broken a lot in Zelda.
From simple dialogs where the NPCs tell you "press Z to target" or they teach you how to use the sword.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Boss

Something else i'd like to point out.

In the final dungeon where you have to move the rooms around, I completed the whole dungeon and managed to unintentionally skip an entire room. i think it was one of the fire rooms though i'm not to sure. Thinking it was no big deal and that i would be able to return later I just left it, only to find out that the goddess statue plummets into the surface and Sky keep is never to be seen again or visited again =='

Has this happened to anyone else?
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Skyloftian
View Posts: 711

there is nothing of utility in that area, so it is not a problem.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokiri_kid93 View Post
Something else i'd like to point out.

In the final dungeon where you have to move the rooms around, I completed the whole dungeon and managed to unintentionally skip an entire room. i think it was one of the fire rooms though i'm not to sure. Thinking it was no big deal and that i would be able to return later I just left it, only to find out that the goddess statue plummets into the surface and Sky keep is never to be seen again or visited again =='

Has this happened to anyone else?
I didn't even know that could happen! My mistake with that room was that I tried to enter it from the wrong side. I don't think there was anything of importance in there, though.

I hate it the games make areas such as the Faron Woods heart piece inaccessible.

I can understand why somebody might want to reply the thunder dragon quest again, but the same goes for the water and fire dragon. I personally have no desire to go back to these though.
1 person liked this post: DrFeelGood666