Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 04:17 PM
What brings you to my strunmah...my mountain?
View Posts: 435
Is Hylia dead?

I'm a little confused to what happened to Hylia's soul. Demise ate it, regained power, but Link kills him before he completely absorbs it. Does that mean that her soul died with him, or did it escape when he died because it wasn't completely absorbed by Demise?

And if it did escape, did it return to Zelda? Does she still hold Hylia's soul when she reincarnates? Sorry if this doesn't make any sense - I don't theorize often.
Last Edited by Dovakiin; 12-11-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 04:23 PM
does the fandango!
3DS ID: zeldaisacoolguy
View Posts: 1,193
Re: Is Hylia dead?

According to Demise, Hylia "sacrificed herself" by incarnating into a mortal being. I think she's still alive after the battle because Link won, but she might perma-die when Zelda dies, just judging from Demise's words.

That's my current line of speculation. It could well be wrong.
Last Edited by Scaramouche; 12-11-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 05:22 PM
CrankyStalfos CrankyStalfos is a female United States CrankyStalfos is offline
Goron
View Posts: 242

I think it's a safe bet that Hylia's/Zelda's soul went back to Zelda's body after Demise bit the dust. As for reincarnation, Miyamoto only knows.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,800

What I want to know is where she is in the past, through the time gate. Impa says she had just sealed Demise, and a little before that raised Skyloft, and we know she was gravely injured. Did she "die" at this point, to be reborn later as Zelda? Maybe I missed something somewhere, but it just seems she should be there in the past but isn't...

After becoming a mortal though, she would eventually die, yes. That's what it is to become mortal. It isn't like in Christianity where God becomes a mortal and "sacrifices" himself only to resurrect as God again, all while still being God sitting comfortably up in Heaven. Hylia made a real sacrifice. (And I mean no offense to anyone by that)

But she will be reborn through every Zelda though, just without her memories. So she kind of lives forever, as does Link in a way.
Last Edited by eiyuu_004; 12-11-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
5 people liked this post: Darth_Ghirahim, Ideal, Luna Tique, MajorMajora, Sliske
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm pretty sure I care. I think..
Send a message via Skype™ to Ideal
View Posts: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiyuu_004 View Post
What I want to know is where she is in the past, through the time gate. Impa says she had just sealed Demise, and a little before that raised Skyloft, and we know she was gravely injured. Did she "die" at this point, to be reborn later as Zelda? Maybe I missed something somewhere, but it just seems she should be there in the past but isn't...

After becoming a mortal though, she would eventually die, yes. That's what it is to become mortal. It isn't like in Christianity where God becomes a mortal and "sacrifices" himself only to resurrect as God again, all while still being God sitting comfortably up in Heaven. Hylia made a real sacrifice. (And I mean no offense to anyone by that)

But she will be reborn through every Zelda though, just without her memories. So she kind of lives forever, as does Link in a way.
Answered your own question there. Did you notice?
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 06:35 PM
I will always be watching you from the shadows.
Send a message via AIM to AXavierB Send a message via Yahoo to AXavierB Send a message via Skype™ to AXavierB
View Posts: 1,948

Hylia IS Zelda. They're the same entity. So when Zelda's soul returned to her body, Hylia's did too. Same soul.
1 person liked this post: MajorMajora
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Goron
View Posts: 221

Well, seeing as Link saved her before Demise could absorb her entire soul, she lived.
She did die from natural causes though. I'd say her spirit lives in each Zelda. Zeldas have some magical abilities after all.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Guardian Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideal View Post
Answered your own question there. Did you notice?
No

The game says she became a mortal, which is I assume when Zelda is born. Or does she become a mortal, die, then somehow manage to be reincarnated as Zelda thousands of years later? To me that's just... not right. Did Hylia become a mortal and wait around to die of natural causes?
Last Edited by eiyuu_004; 12-11-2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 08:17 PM
~*I<3NickJonas4eva!*~ ~*I<3NickJonas4eva!*~ is a male Chile ~*I<3NickJonas4eva!*~ is offline
Never bet for Ridley.
Steam ID: Khao84 Wii U ID: KhaoMortadios 3DS ID: 1075-0789-4675
View Posts: 11,628

Definitely spoilers in here, moved to SS Spoilers forum.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Sheikah
View Posts: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXavierB View Post
Hylia IS Zelda. They're the same entity. So when Zelda's soul returned to her body, Hylia's did too. Same soul.
This.

Zelda and Hylia are the same person so if Zelda is still alive then Hylia is still alive.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 10:54 PM
I get the job done. Period.
View Posts: 2,786

Like it has already been said, Zelda= Hylia. Therefore, she didn't die.

Ok, this is not exactly the topic here, but its close enough. I have one question about Hylia, and I'm not going to make a thread about it because it can probably be answered in one post.

In all the Zelda games I've played so far, I don't ever remember anyone mentioning more than the 3 godesses we are all familiar with. (Din, Farore, Nayru). As far as I remember, OoT Claims they are the ones that 1-) created the world and life, and 2-) Created the triforce. And untill SS those 3 godesses were the ones responsable for everything.

Now, suddenly, Hylia comes along. She plays an important part in saving humankind. And while she does not take creadit for creating the triforce, she also mentions other gods (not necesarily the 3 godesses). Not only that, but the 3 godessess are actually never mentioned (The trials don't seem to cut it for me).

So, my questions is as follow: What exactly is Hylia's role in the creation of Hyrule? How come she got forgotten? How come Din, Farore and Nayru are worshipped as godesses? Did they even really exist to begin with, or where they simplay imagined as deitys as link's story of how he purified is soul got misinterpreted. Or did I just miss something in the game? (I didn't actually play SS. I watched a playtrhough from beggining to end, wich is why I fear I may have missed something)

All of a sudden we have a 4th goddes, and no one seems to question why seh got forgoten or wha her role is in relation with the other 3 godessess. Now, I have never supported the idea of a 4th pice of the triforce, and this game doesn't support that either. I just want to know how exactly a 4th godess fits in to this and get some ideas as to why she got forgotten and why the other 3 didn't even appear to say "oh, hai!"
Last Edited by Zero; 12-11-2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 11:45 PM
I will always be watching you from the shadows.
Send a message via AIM to AXavierB Send a message via Yahoo to AXavierB Send a message via Skype™ to AXavierB
View Posts: 1,948

Well, Hylia hasn't been forgotten. Her symbol is the crest of Hyrule, her people call themselves Hylians and the largest body of water in the country is named after her.

Din, Nayru and Farore are still the creators of the physical world and the Triforce. They're the ones that the characters in this game call "the old gods", but there have been other deities in this series for a while.. Hylia seems to be an entirely separate entity.
Last Edited by AXavierB; 12-11-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Dovakiin
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Sheikah
View Posts: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Like it has already been said, Zelda= Hylia. Therefore, she didn't die.

Ok, this is not exactly the topic here, but its close enough. I have one question about Hylia, and I'm not going to make a thread about it because it can probably be answered in one post.

In all the Zelda games I've played so far, I don't ever remember anyone mentioning more than the 3 godesses we are all familiar with. (Din, Farore, Nayru). As far as I remember, OoT Claims they are the ones that 1-) created the world and life, and 2-) Created the triforce. And untill SS those 3 godesses were the ones responsable for everything.

Now, suddenly, Hylia comes along. She plays an important part in saving humankind. And while she does not take creadit for creating the triforce, she also mentions other gods (not necesarily the 3 godesses). Not only that, but the 3 godessess are actually never mentioned (The trials don't seem to cut it for me).

So, my questions is as follow: What exactly is Hylia's role in the creation of Hyrule? How come she got forgotten? How come Din, Farore and Nayru are worshipped as godesses? Did they even really exist to begin with, or where they simplay imagined as deitys as link's story of how he purified is soul got misinterpreted. Or did I just miss something in the game? (I didn't actually play SS. I watched a playtrhough from beggining to end, wich is why I fear I may have missed something)

All of a sudden we have a 4th goddes, and no one seems to question why seh got forgoten or wha her role is in relation with the other 3 godessess. Now, I have never supported the idea of a 4th pice of the triforce, and this game doesn't support that either. I just want to know how exactly a 4th godess fits in to this and get some ideas as to why she got forgotten and why the other 3 didn't even appear to say "oh, hai!"
Well in the opening cinematic, it is mentioned that the goddess was chosen to protect the power (triforce) handed down to her by the "gods of old".
If you want to see it again, here it is:

When they mention "gods of old" I am pretty sure that means the three major goddesses.
The three goddesses create the world, the people, etc. (OoT shows us this)
They then leave behind the triforce. (OoT shows us this)
Hylia is the protector of the triforce. (SS shows us this)
Some are corrupted by greed and start a war because of the triforce which leads to Skyloft being created by Hylia.

In Wind Waker, these two , Zephos and Cyclos are also considered gods so obviously the term "god" can be used very loosely to mean any being in control of a certain power.
Last Edited by zelda4eva!; 12-12-2011 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-12-2011, 12:47 AM
I get the job done. Period.
View Posts: 2,786

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda4eva! View Post
Well in the opening cinematic, it is mentioned that the goddess was chosen to protect the power (triforce) handed down to her by the "gods of old".
If you want to see it again, here it is:

When they mention "gods of old" I am pretty sure that means the three major goddesses.
The three goddesses create the world, the people, etc. (OoT shows us this)
They then leave behind the triforce. (OoT shows us this)
Hylia is the protector of the triforce. (SS shows us this)
Some are corrupted by greed and start a war because of the triforce which leads to Skyloft being created by Hylia.

In Wind Waker, these two , Zephos and Cyclos are also considered gods so obviously the term "god" can be used very loosely to mean any being in control of a certain power.
Ah, thanks. The walkthrough I watched didn't show that part for some reason. Thank you very much.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Live together, die alone
Send a message via Skype™ to Momo
Wii U ID: MomoShepard 3DS ID: MomoShepard/4897-7258-9301

View Posts: 6,610

Aonuma said in an interview, Hylia IS Zelda. So no, her soul did not die.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Guardian Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda4eva! View Post
That doesn't mean it can be used very loosely, just that there are more than 3 gods.

Tags
demise, hylia, skyward sword, soul