Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2011, 11:44 PM
I wasn't born yesterday it just looks like this
View Posts: 1,151
Backwards bow in TP

Ok so they made link right handed in TP (Wii version) so it would match the Wii mote in your hand right?

But when you shoot the bow, he faces the opposite direction from your hands and the remote. I mean you use the pointer with the wiimote in your right hand to shoot the bow, so you assume your left hand pulls the string while your right hand points the Wiimote at the screen, However link pulls the string with his right hand on screen. Thats the hand your pointing with so it doesnt match.

Kinda dumb on Nintendo's part. If they're gonna switch his sword hand to make it match, then why not switch the way he shoots the bow to make it match as well?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2011, 01:23 AM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,022
Re: Backwards bow in TP

Simple: Link is ambidextrous.

Quote:
Killing as a kid before I hit my prime
It's no wonder that they call me The Hero of Time.
Last Edited by Linksoer; 06-21-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2011, 01:44 AM
You call it freedom, but it's a perverse Anarchy
Send a message via Skype™ to Kneesocks

View Posts: 10,999

Quote:
Originally Posted by MispeltGannon View Post

But when you shoot the bow, he faces the opposite direction from your hands and the remote. I mean you use the pointer with the wiimote in your right hand to shoot the bow, so you assume your left hand pulls the string while your right hand points the Wiimote at the screen, However link pulls the string with his right hand on screen. Thats the hand your pointing with so it doesnt match.
I used to shoot a bow and arrow a few years back.
Now I'm a right handed person, so, I hold the bow with my left hand and I pull the string with my right hand.
Your stronger hand always pulls the string, and since Link is a right in this game, he shows with his right hand. Hence the Wiimote on the right side.
Nintendo did it right.
Last Edited by Kneesocks; 06-21-2011 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
3 people liked this post: Disciple of Midna, Ironspy, Linksoer
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Terminian
View Posts: 796

Aurelia is correct, the bow is in the left hand, and the string is pulled with the left
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Grok on
View Posts: 3,234

I shoot with bows as well. I, however, am normally right handed.. but for some reason I'm left handed with a bow and arrow. Which means that I hold the bow with the right hand instead of the left. As has been pointed out, Nintendo did whats right for a normal right handed person. Even though you "aim" with the wrong hand according to what Link does on screen.

I can't say I remember if there will be a "wii sports resort"-ish shooting style in Skyward Sword, but in that case it will probably be like I use a bow and arrow.. since you already wield a sword with the right hand, it would be inconvenient to switch the controller over in the other hand to be able to shoot.

Heišinn
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Segfault
View Posts: 1,814

Sort of like my "dominant" leg isn't always dominant. When snowboarding, I ride regular not goofy, yet with several other sports (or vehicles) my dominant leg is the opposite one. Which isn't entirely uncommon.

SS might feel a bit weird at first, if I'm going to be shooting the "wrong" way around. Will take a little getting used to... of course the nunchuck's cable is too short to emulate a bow properly for me regardless... (unless I get a third party 'chuck).
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 13
LOLWUT

I hold a bow with my right hand on the string. My right hand aims the bow by moving the entire bow (I'm not sure about you guys but that's how I do it). I believe Nintendo did it right personally and besides, you can't aim with the nunchuk, it only has a gyroscope.

Last thing, the game is screwed up for me cuz I hold the wiimote in my LEFT hand so I can control my character with the right. Technically, when I move my left hand, link moves his right.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Twili
View Posts: 405

As pointed out that is the most common way of wielding a bow. And from what little experience I have it seems you don't "aim" the bow with any particular hand instead you move both arms keeping your hands in the same position.

But all the controls of Skyward Sword are going to suck for me, being completely left handed. I really really really hope they have a left handed option. Come one Nintendo 10% of your fans want it that way including Miyamoto.
2 people liked this post: Disciple of Midna, I am Ganon