Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#181 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Light Spirit
Send a message via Yahoo to Erikson Send a message via Skype™ to Erikson
View Posts: 4,904
Re: Why is Twilight Princess hated on?

I don't think it takes away the fun on the first playthrough, but when I want to play it a second time I'd like to mix it up a bit if allowed. To use the item from a later dungeon to the one before it in the 'proper' order can be fun.
Miyamoto: Right. And it isn't a port. It is a remake, but in the truest sense of the word.
Iwata: You remade it from scratch.
  #182 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 10:17 AM
EmeralLanstin EmeralLanstin is a male United States EmeralLanstin is offline
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,096

Can be, but then I also find it fun to try and find everything. I still have not found everything (stupid gold insects...) So I keep going back for more. X3

Alex Machexter

-------------------------------------------------------------

Played|Beaten|100%|3-heart-run|Yet-to-play

LOZ AOL LTTP LA OOTOOT MM OOA OOS TMC TWW PH TP ST SS

(I'm only missing one game that I have yet to play! XD)
  #183 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 12:51 PM
The Waiter
View Posts: 557

Well, it wasnt very original. It was basicly  a big ripoff of of everything, ocarina of time, final fantasy, shadow of the colossus, Ico, Lord of the Rings, princess mononeke and whatnot. Of course youre always inspired by other works as a gamemaker, but I dont believe there was a single thing in this game that hadnt been done before.
  #184 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Sage of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abner View Post
Well, it wasnt very original. It was basicly  a big ripoff of of everything, ocarina of time, final fantasy, shadow of the colossus, Ico, Lord of the Rings, princess mononeke and whatnot. Of course youre always inspired by other works as a gamemaker, but I dont believe there was a single thing in this game that hadnt been done before.
*clears throat* That is quite the statement, coming from you at this point. By the time that TP had come out, of course it seems like a rip-off of everything. Everything has been done so far! There may be unique ideas out there, but there are still going to be elements that are "ripped off" from other games. -_-

Alex Machexter

#185 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 02:34 PM
My micro Mike Rowe crow's mic row, rows my micro Mike Rowe crow.

View Posts: 8,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
You are forced to use the gale boomerang a fair amount of times though. As for the Ball & Chain, I used it frequently. It serves as a shield when you spinit around your head, which is effective when there are lots of enemies all around you. Ice enemies are babies with this item as well as other enemies, and instead of bombs, you can use it to destroy stone boulders all around the field which I find very useful.
As said by someone else, you only see ice enemies in the Snowpeak Ruins and the Cave of Ordeals. The only time there are a bunch of enemies around you is when you're in the Cave of Ordeals, yet you're still vulnerable to them when you use it. With the boulders, that's not even very important since they usually lead to grottoes that contains rupees, which you can't hold.
  #186 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Sage of Wisdom

Then you have not really played around with the ball and chain for whatever reason. I have found some very creative ways to use it, such as in Hyrule Castle and the like or around other areas. It is fun to practice using, and once you get used to it, it is quite a useful item.

Alex Machexter

#187 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 02:47 PM

I don't play around with it because it's too slow which makes you vulnerable to enemies.
  #188 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Sage of Wisdom

You care about not getting hit? You find it ineffective just because of one small thing that you seem very persistent on. You can be all professional about it, but I am sure that there are plenty of people who find it very useful.

Alex Machexter

#189 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Daccus Illuminatus Misericors
View Posts: 6,436

The Ball and Chain was fun, and I usually never got hit. You don't even have to swing it, just roll it around and it's a very effective shield + weapon.
Last Edited by 1984; 04-25-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #190 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 02:53 PM

Well, if I'm almost out of hearts, then yes. Not only that, it's just too slow for me.
  #191 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Sage of Wisdom

Up to you. I still don't think that it is a very strong reason to be mad at the rest of the game.

Alex Machexter

#192 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 02:55 PM

...Are you serious? Do you think that's the only reason why I think the game isn't very good? That's just one thing about the game I'm bashing about...
  #193 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 02:56 PM
something
View Posts: 2,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrag View Post
You don't need the Hover Boots in the Spirit Temple. At all. Some people think you need them to cross the Desert Wasteland or make a specific jump in the Spirit Temple but you can cross the quicksand with the Longshot and that jump can be made unassisted.
Ah, my bad. I thought you did.

Quote:
And you need the Bow in the Water Temple, I acknowledged that. I said you could do Water and Fire in either order, not Water and Forest.
Again, my bad. I mixed Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time for a second there as you get the bow in the fire temple in the first mentioned title. Haven't played Ocarina of Time for a while.

Quote:
As for restriction of item use caused by nonlinearity; OoT and WW restricted what items got used thanks to giving you choice as to when certain things are done but TP restricted what items got used for no reason at all because it was impossible to do things in a different order. If both have equal item restriction, it's less a point against the more nonlinear games.
Well, it is still restricted. I don't see how nonlinearity justifies that. However, Twilight Princess could've utilized some items even more like the examples you mentioned earlier. Still, my point earlier was that they aren't as underused as people says.

Quote:
And how is it cheating to do Water before Fire or Spirit before Shadow or Wind before Earth? Do you have to glitch the game out? Do you have to take items from one dungeon then leave it and not complete it 'til later? Do you have to so much as break character by demonstrating knowledge that Link should not have?
I never said it cheating. I simply asked how you could complete the temples in no particular order without cheating as I didn't know how to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Bawks View Post
As said by someone else, you only see ice enemies in the Snowpeak Ruins and the Cave of Ordeals. The only time there are a bunch of enemies around you is when you're in the Cave of Ordeals, yet you're still vulnerable to them when you use it. With the boulders, that's not even very important since they usually lead to grottoes that contains rupees, which you can't hold.
And in many cases, heart pieces. I think, with the ball and chain, you just have to be creative. You can use it several different ways, you just got to find out how to. I know for a fact that I used this item a lot.
  #194 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 02:59 PM

Alright, it's just a useless item for me. But all the other ones I mentioned are definitely useless.
  #195 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Sage of Wisdom

Slingshot can stun enemies, making them open for attack while bow just kills. If I remember, gale boomerang can actually stun enemies as well and can throw about the smaller ground based enemies.

Alex Machexter

#196 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 03:04 PM

The slingshot doesn't even stun them that much.
Last Edited by Tom Thanks; 04-25-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #197 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Sage of Wisdom

I find that it can stun them for just long enough to prepare a good combo, especially when one is about to attack. Though...for all intents and purposes, it was sort of supposed to be useless. ^^;

saying the Gale boomerang is useless, though, is kind of wrong in my mind. I find it to be very useful in quite a few circumstances.

Alex Machexter

#198 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 03:08 PM
The Waiter
View Posts: 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeralLanstin View Post
*clears throat* That is quite the statement, coming from you at this point. By the time that TP had come out, of course it seems like a rip-off of everything. Everything has been done so far! There may be unique ideas out there, but there are still going to be elements that are "ripped off" from other games. -_-
Well, there's a fine line about being inspired by something and adding something new, and just ripping something of. I think TP went far over that line. Previous Zeldas also had some obvious infuences. Ocarina of Time had alot of Tolkien and Peter Pan influences. And Wind Waker had kind of a Ghibli vibe. But in those cases it was like they were inspired by some things andthey did something new with it. Twilight Princess kind of an OoT remake + a bunch of imitations from other games and movies mashed together.

And it wasnt like it was coincidental like youre claiming. Of course youre always working with existing forms, and I dont think that TP following the technical gameplay basics of the Zelda series was a bad thing. You should never change a winning team, eh ? And I think TP had the best gameplay and graphics in a technical way. It was just the whole style, story and ideas that werent very original or autenthic. Most of the gameplay ideas had already been done in previous gamesHyrule Town looked like it was straight copied out of an Final Fantasy game. Alot of the bosses and monsters looked like Shadow of The Colossus, only they were much less fun to play. Midna riding the wolf looks exactly like Mononoke riding that wolfgod. Hyrule Fields looks exactly like the LotR movies that had come out during production of that game. And the shadow monsters looked like the monsters from Nausicaa and Mononoke. I cant think of one original thing.

Dont get me wrong I enjoyed it at the time. But it will never be a classic, like OoT, MM and WW which are timeless and you can play over and over again. It was a succes at that time because it was so much hyped and the graphics looked nice back then. But graphics age, and for a game to be a classic it must have autenthic style/gameplay. And TP didnt.

Plus, I think it has kind of this scrambled feel to it.... I dont know how to describe it.... I mean, with every trailer it looked like another game. When you watch the first trailers, it looks like another game. I think the reason why it had been delayed so much was not because of technical issues but more because of these artistic/style direction. It seems like they just couldnt lick it. They tried multiple things and started from scratch several times. Halfway through the production Miyamoto was not satisfied with the result so far, so again they started from scratch. And it got delayed again. Then at the end what you get is a game with this very mashed together scrambled feel to it. Like when youre trying to make a cake and fail and fail and use the same dough to start over again and again. Than at the end it becomes just an incoherent mess. And that was what TP was.
  #199 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I find that it can stun them for just long enough to prepare a good combo, especially when one is about to attack. Though...for all intents and purposes, it was sort of supposed to be useless. ^^;

saying the Gale boomerang is useless, though, is kind of wrong in my mind. I find it to be very useful in quite a few circumstances.
Well, maybe not the Gale boomerang, that's just not as useful as the boomerangs in the other games.
  #200 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-25-2011, 03:45 PM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist
View Posts: 8,872

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abner View Post
A western fantasy story? A big ripoff of Lord of the Rings? Well, I never!

Quote:
I find that it can stun them for just long enough to prepare a good combo, especially when one is about to attack.
I find that their AI can stun them for just long enough to prepare a good combo.

Quote:
Though...for all intents and purposes, it was sort of supposed to be useless. ^^;
Then why require it?
Last Edited by TheGhostOfMandrag; 04-25-2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote

Tags
comparison, ocarina, princess, terrible, time, twilight