Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 05:36 AM
Melpomene Australia Melpomene is offline
Super Mecha Death Christ
Send a message via Skype™ to Melpomene

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Besaid
View Posts: 11,894
Skyward Sword Graphics

Many threads have popped up talking about the same controversial subject, the graphics.

So here is a thread to post all your thoughts, ideas, dislike, worry, pleasure etc over the graphics of skyward sword!


Posts like,
Quote:
"They suck, I hate them."
Quote:
"I love them, so awsum!"
Will be deleted.
__________________
Cilgehk dfahdo telgc ban semecaluht
1 person liked this post: Coconut Water
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 05:55 AM
Din_is_pink Din_is_pink is a male Wales Din_is_pink is offline
Laugh it up Fuzzball!!
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cymru
View Posts: 231
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

People should stop getting angry with nintendo about SS's graphics. Nintendo have the eastern Zelda fans (esspecially in Japan) who prefer the cell- shaped graphics, and Most of us Western fans who want mature games all the time. With SS they Made a compremise, and well done to them.
But Now some fans are angry beacuse the demo they gave was too colourfull....... i mean..... since when are bright colurs immature?
I remember the first WW trailer, and how the Moblins fell down the pit like somthing from looney toons... but WW is now my second fav game of the series..... give SS a chance people....
Im sorry if i ranted a bit..
__________________
Last Edited by Din_is_pink; 06-21-2010 at 05:55 AM. Reason:
4 people liked this post: Dovakiin, miniwifewheat, SirLinkus, SmilesOfOctober
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 05:56 AM
Fortex Fortex is a male United Kingdom Fortex is offline
Deku Scrub
Send a message via Skype™ to Fortex
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portsmouth, UK.
View Posts: 10
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

I honestly think they're the best Graphics any Zelda game has had so far.

Let's face it, the Wii isn't a powerful console and doesn't do realism that well so it's not like they could make the graphics more life like and update the Twilight Princess style, so what they did was smart.

They took similar models for the characters, because they were great character models, and gave them all a nice fresh colourful look that really works quite well on the Wii. It's some great common ground between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, which both have great graphics in their own unique way.

A lot of people seem to be worried that this game won't be serious enough due to the graphics, but I beg to differ. Wind Waker had a very emotionally deep storyline whilst keeping the very cartoony look so seriousness isn't really a big issue.

Too be honest, we've only seem pictures from a small part of the map and haven't really seen any of the darker zones so it is hard to judge right now, but from what I've seen this is definitely a step in the right direction.
__________________


Adopted by Florina.

I wub juu ;3
4 people liked this post: Cornelius Fudge, disco77320, Dovakiin, shreds97
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 06:12 AM
IGNIS IGNIS is a male United States IGNIS is offline
#notallmen

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Island of Lesbos
View Posts: 5,949
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Hope I can make this post on the first page, but it's worth noting that many of the people criticizing SS's visual approach are disappointed with what strongly resembles WW and TP.
Though it's confirmed that the visual approach is based on Impressionism and that it's something never done before in a LoZ game, it doesn't get rid of the impression that the game seems to be running on recycled physics and WW/TP-esque models.

The concept of having a game that evokes impression like Impressionistic paintings is awesome, though what was shown so far with SS hardly captures that essence. Relying solely on the fact that SS's visuals are inspired by Impressionism to actually appreciate them does not do it for many, unfortunately.
It's worth admiring the concept and those vague brush strokes on top of the textures shown in the SS demo, but overall, many people think it's meh, predictable, and uninspiring. It is not a leap in terms of what a LoZ title we've been waiting for for years may have been. I argue that all of the people criticizing the visuals are ultimately disappointed or are not satisfied because of that.
Many go to extremes and go as far as mentioning that it's kiddie, disgusting, or that a next step from TP would have done the job. The way I sympathize with those people is by arguing that they are probably just as unsurprised as I and many others are, but to an extent that they can't really express just how disappointed they are with was shown on e3 last week.

My 2 cents, etc.

EDIT: And BEFORE anyone comes up with the developers reason for staying away from realism, let me say for the 2nd-5th time that Aonuma's take on the issue of realism is hardly compelling. Sorry for not posting the source on what he said or for elaborating more on this post, but the whole thing about realism limiting fantasy and what Zelda can convey is not at all compelling or sympathetic.
__________________
2NOTORIOUS
Last Edited by IGNIS; 06-21-2010 at 06:19 AM. Reason:
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 06:13 AM
Nico Nico is a male Norway Nico is offline
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Steam ID: xlakitu Wii U ID: Nicolini
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Norway
View Posts: 2,491
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortex View Post
Let's face it, the Wii isn't a powerful console and doesn't do realism that well so it's not like they could make the graphics more life like and update the Twilight Princess style, so what they did was smart.
Twilight Princess is a title ported from the GameCube to the Wii, so yes, they could improve the graphics.

I was really disappointed by the graphics. It's kind of difficult to explain, but I think of Zelda as something close to reality even though I know it's fantasy. It just feels so realistic to me, so I would love the graphics to be more realistic. I think that is one of the reaons for why I love Twilight Princess, though, I seem to be the only one who likes the graphics. Sure, the characters and enemies seem lifeless, but remember that it originally was for the GameCube. If they just could improve Twilight Princess' graphics, I'm sure it would be really good.

Since the teaser art with Link and the girl was more realistic, I was so sure that the game would feature it too, so I got even more disappointed when they showed the impressionism style at E3. I don't really understand their reason for using those kind of graphics either. They wanted to show their weak spots, and to do that, they had to overexaggerate the enemy design? Twilight Princess showed the weak spots fairly well. I at least didn't have any problems finding them. Not to mention that the bokoblin design is so extremely ugly. It looks like a clown! Even the bokoblins in Wind Waker was more scary..
2 people liked this post: Cornelius Fudge, Love Soulless
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 06:22 AM
McLovin McLovin is offline
Deku Scrub
Join Date: Apr 2010
View Posts: 18
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Well, it's called concept art for a reason. I just didn't expect that much of a difference between the picture they showed us at E3 09 and the trailer they un-veiled at E3 10.

I honestly, don't like the cartoon cel shaded look.
Last Edited by McLovin; 06-21-2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason:
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 06:26 AM
Melpomene Australia Melpomene is offline
Super Mecha Death Christ
Send a message via Skype™ to Melpomene

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Besaid
View Posts: 11,894
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Well, it's called concept art for a reason. I just didn't expect that much of a difference between the picture they showed us at E3 09 and the trailer they un-veiled at E3 10.

I honestly, don't like the cartoon cel shaded look.
Why?
I don't know how these graphics can be not liked without a reason.


A lot of things may look "childish" as some people have said. But that doesn't make the story or meaning childish.

It is a game afterall, half the games are made for people under 20.

But look at animated movies. Even though they are made for children, they have some strong messages behind them. Some even have adult jokes and contexts in there.

So calling something childing solely on a 3 minute demonstration is hardly logical.

/rant.
__________________
Cilgehk dfahdo telgc ban semecaluht
1 person liked this post: Coconut Water
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 06:28 AM
IGNIS IGNIS is a male United States IGNIS is offline
#notallmen

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Island of Lesbos
View Posts: 5,949
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheel View Post
Twilight Princess is a title ported from the GameCube to the Wii, so yes, they could improve the graphics.
See, and I advocated for a realistic approach, but I don't think TP 2 was the right answer either.
If I had seen slightly refined TP visuals with the same character models, I would still had been very disappointed.
Based on development time and comments relating to ZWii and Monster Hunter Tri Wii, I expected something that really evoked realism but still would have nothing to do with TP.
Now, one thing I almost predicted right prior to e3 was that ZWiis visuals would be similar to those of Prince of Persia for 360/PS3. Actually, something that would resemble the first piece of SS artwork we got last year. I may have been blown away with visuals that resemble Renaissance oil on panel, with focus on drapery and other details, all portrayed in rich colors. Many other approaches could have been mind-blowing, I don't know. What I know now is that the take on SS's visuals is simply not surprising for me, and that I'm pretty disappointed on the general feel of the game to this day.
__________________
2NOTORIOUS
Last Edited by IGNIS; 06-21-2010 at 06:34 AM. Reason:
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Melpomene Australia Melpomene is offline
Super Mecha Death Christ
Send a message via Skype™ to Melpomene

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Besaid
View Posts: 11,894
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

IGNIS, are you saying you are disapointed at the game already?

Not every game has to have mind-blowing graphics.

Oh, and I wasn't refering to him for the bottom half of my post btw, hense the double gap in there. . I know he didn't think it is childish, but I know a few people have posted that it is.
Should have made that a little clearer then.
__________________
Cilgehk dfahdo telgc ban semecaluht
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 06:37 AM
IGNIS IGNIS is a male United States IGNIS is offline
#notallmen

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Island of Lesbos
View Posts: 5,949
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
IGNIS, are you saying you are disapointed at the game already?

Not every game has to have mind-blowing graphics.
I'm disappointed with what has been shown so far. I'm hoping to appreciate the game further and to see what more it has to offer.
As far as mind-blowing goes, it's all tied to expectations. We've been discussing ZWii for years, so it's only natural to expect something elusive or mind-blowing to be shown.
After SMG and Monster Hunter Tri, I had hope that ZWii would throw something much more inspiring to our faces.
__________________
2NOTORIOUS
Last Edited by IGNIS; 06-21-2010 at 06:38 AM. Reason:
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 06:39 AM
McLovin McLovin is offline
Deku Scrub
Join Date: Apr 2010
View Posts: 18
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
Why?
I don't know how these graphics can be not liked without a reason.
The game looks beautiful, I just more of a fan of the realistic look. I was disappointed when I saw baggy pants Link standing there. I expected them to build on TP art design and the game to be even more realistic. I guess I hoped to much.

I don't hate the game(yet), because I solely can't judge it from just looking at it.
Last Edited by McLovin; 06-21-2010 at 06:40 AM. Reason:
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 06:42 AM
xJonahx xJonahx is a male Finland xJonahx is offline
Twili
Join Date: Jul 2009
View Posts: 431
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Well first of all, technically the graphical quality is better than in any previous zelda game, and that's a fact, not an opinion. A lot of people seem to be confusing graphics with art style, and for some the disappointment of it not looking like TP might make the graphics seem worse than they are. SS uses more complex shaders, the models are smoother and the area that is rendered is bigger than before. This isn't really something we should be arguing about since it's not a matter of opinion.

Anyway, my opinion about the art style, I like it a lot, liked it since the initial "shock" of it not being TP-styled wore out, which was pretty quickly. Might be because I'm not afraid of playing colorful games, might be because I never expected/hoped for the series to be split into realistic console games and cartoony handheld games. And whatever you say about the argument not being compelling, I did feel like TP was a bit boring because it was missing a lot of the magical elements that make zelda zelda, at least what I think makes zelda zelda. Might be because WW is my favorite zelda game and it's cartoony, and that MM is my second favorite and it was no less cartoony than mario 64.

But whatever your opinion about the artstyle is, you definately shouldn't be judging the game for its graphics, because that's just stupid and ironically, immature. Wait for it to come out, play it, and then decide if it's good or not, not after the first trailer and 10 screenshots.

EDIT: And before someone asks how I can say that it's a good game without playing it, I'm not. I'm saying it looks good. And there are people who say it looks bad, which is just as fine. But saying that it sucks because you don't like the graphics isn't.
Last Edited by xJonahx; 06-21-2010 at 06:47 AM. Reason:
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Jerry-Boyle Jerry-Boyle is a male Canada Jerry-Boyle is offline
Sheikah
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada, Nova Scotia
View Posts: 516
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Really what game can beat TP graphics? There's Monster Hunter Tri and Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii




Only game that beats it and not by far to me would be Galaxy 2. So going with TP styled graphics, there wouldn't be much of an update if there were to be any. Hence why they went this route and I remember one guy saying if they went with TP style, it would be done already due to it being easier to make, meaning less effort on their part and using the same engine from TP with perhaps a little update that wouldn't do much. The Wii is not a very strong system graphically. I would be surprised if they can make a game better then TP/Monster Hunter Tri and Mario Galaxy 2 in terms of graphics.

Forgot to add my part to the post... I'm fine with the style they choose to go with though and I like my game's graphics(PS3 owner+HDTv) but I have no problem with this style. They are trying something new while risky can be rewarding which is what I support. The Zelda franchise needed something new and this could very well be it and if not oh well. The devs will learn and try to make it better in their next Zelda. Not that big of a deal that these Zelda fans make it out to be.
Last Edited by Jerry-Boyle; 06-21-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason:
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 07:19 AM
IGNIS IGNIS is a male United States IGNIS is offline
#notallmen

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Island of Lesbos
View Posts: 5,949
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJonahx View Post
Well first of all, technically the graphical quality is better than in any previous zelda game, and that's a fact, not an opinion. A lot of people seem to be confusing graphics with art style, and for some the disappointment of it not looking like TP might make the graphics seem worse than they are. SS uses more complex shaders, the models are smoother and the area that is rendered is bigger than before. This isn't really something we should be arguing about since it's not a matter of opinion.
There's the opinion that expectations were not met or that what was shown so far is hardly inspiring.
Regardless of your sourceless claims of how SS uses more complex shaders, etc., it is very reasonable to argue that the demo shown in E3 did not amaze many of us and that developers may have overlooked a much more attractive visual approach.

Quote:
Anyway, my opinion about the art style, I like it a lot, liked it since the initial "shock" of it not being TP-styled wore out, which was pretty quickly. Might be because I'm not afraid of playing colorful games, might be because I never expected/hoped for the series to be split into realistic console games and cartoony handheld games. And whatever you say about the argument not being compelling, I did feel like TP was a bit boring because it was missing a lot of the magical elements that make zelda zelda, at least what I think makes zelda zelda. Might be because WW is my favorite zelda game and it's cartoony, and that MM is my second favorite and it was no less cartoony than mario 64.
Likewise, many don't like SS's artistic direction. Many have a favorite LoZ title and many think some LoZ titles are more "zelda" than other. Who cares, really?
TP does not need to be brought up, either. There's the misconception that many of the people that are disappointed with SS's visuals wished for refined TP visuals. That's hardly the case with many of us. I myself feel pretty disgusted with SS's WW and TP evoking presentation. It is as if though the hope of escaping the predictable horror that was brought forth by TP is being thrown out at us again. TP was the disappointment of many LoZ fans, and SS seems to portray a very similar image, which naturally makes people think that SS may be not much different than TP.

Quote:
But whatever your opinion about the artstyle is, you definately shouldn't be judging the game for its graphics, because that's just stupid and ironically, immature. Wait for it to come out, play it, and then decide if it's good or not, not after the first trailer and 10 screenshots.
Many don't recognize this because of how they just want to post their thoughts on this thread, but it's safe to say that we are relying on our impression of what was shown from SS at E3. We're criticizing the demo, and because this thread is about SS's visuals, we are also criticizing its presentation. Why is it immature to criticize SS's visuals? I don't need to hesitate posting my thoughts on the uninspiring nature of SS's visuals.

Quote:
EDIT: And before someone asks how I can say that it's a good game without playing it, I'm not. I'm saying it looks good. And there are people who say it looks bad, which is just as fine. But saying that it sucks because you don't like the graphics isn't.
If someone feels that what was shown of SS so far looks bad or for some reason, sucks, they should by all means post what they think here.
It's really annoying having someone who has the gift of appreciating anything the LoZ developers throw at us point out fingers and call others stupid or anything of that sort. Don't, for all our sakes.
__________________
2NOTORIOUS
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 07:22 AM
WhiteYoshi WhiteYoshi is offline
Skyloftian
Join Date: Jun 2010
View Posts: 671
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry-Boyle View Post
Really what game can beat TP graphics? There's Monster Hunter Tri and Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii




Only game that beats it and not by far to me would be Galaxy 2. So going with TP styled graphics, there wouldn't be much of an update if there were to be any. Hence why they went this route and I remember one guy saying if they went with TP style, it would be done already due to it being easier to make, meaning less effort on their part and using the same engine from TP with perhaps a little update that wouldn't do much. The Wii is not a very strong system graphically. I would be surprised if they can make a game better then TP/Monster Hunter Tri and Mario Galaxy 2 in terms of graphics.

Forgot to add my part to the post... I'm fine with the style they choose to go with though and I like my game's graphics(PS3 owner+HDTv) but I have no problem with this style. They are trying something new while risky can be rewarding which is what I support. The Zelda franchise needed something new and this could very well be it and if not oh well. The devs will learn and try to make it better in their next Zelda. Not that big of a deal that these Zelda fans make it out to be.

well TP was made with game cubes graphical limitations in mind not the wiis. it was the best looking game on the gamecube but only sub par on the wii cuz it wasnt made for the wii at first. TP should be thought of as a g ame cube game that was ported to the Wii.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Crazyfreak Crazyfreak is offline
Goron
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: the netherlands
View Posts: 2,370
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Well I actually like Nintendo is experimenting with the new graphics of Zelda wii. Like they said it's not done yet. So they'll probably expand it more, I hope they tweak Link's face a lot.


I also like the direction of the artstyle, going as a colorful painting is really "Fantasy" like. Something newer Zelda's been missing especially Twilight Princess.


I found the style of graphics of TP dull, it looked great but it was dull. I just hope the new Zelda wii will impress everybody with their new style.

We really haven't seen dungeons yet, so maybe they are really dark like.
__________________

1 person liked this post: Exolon
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Jerry-Boyle Jerry-Boyle is a male Canada Jerry-Boyle is offline
Sheikah
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada, Nova Scotia
View Posts: 516
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteYoshi View Post
well TP was made with game cubes graphical limitations in mind not the wiis. it was the best looking game on the gamecube but only sub par on the wii cuz it wasnt made for the wii at first. TP should be thought of as a g ame cube game that was ported to the Wii.
You see what I'm getting at, the Wii is not much better then a gamecube in terms of graphical presentation. Notice how TP, a gamecube game beats Monster Hunter Tri in terms of graphics(A wii game?) and only slightly loses to Mario Galaxy 2. I'm saying the graphics so shaders, lightning etc., not artwork btw. So the Wii's graphical limitations are pretty much the same as that of a gamecube. At least that's how I can make sense out of the pictures.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 07:27 AM
xJonahx xJonahx is a male Finland xJonahx is offline
Twili
Join Date: Jul 2009
View Posts: 431
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGNIS View Post
Many don't recognize this because of how they just want to post their thoughts on this thread, but it's safe to say that we are relying on our impression of what was shown from SS at E3. We're criticizing the demo, and because this thread is about SS's visuals, we are also criticizing its presentation. Why is it immature to criticize SS's visuals? I don't need to hesitate posting my thoughts on the uninspiring nature of SS's visuals.
I didn't say that. I said that it's immature to criticize the whole game based on visuals alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGNIS View Post
If someone feels that what was shown of SS so far looks bad or for some reason, sucks, they should by all means post what they think here.
It's really annoying having someone who has the gift of appreciating anything the LoZ developers throw at us point out fingers and call others stupid or anything of that sort. Don't, for all our sakes.
Same here, you can have opinions but don't judge the entire game before playing.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Luna Tique Luna Tique is a female United Kingdom Luna Tique is offline
Being a lunatic isn't enough
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lorule Castle
View Posts: 1,929
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

I love these graphics. They certainly weren't what I was expecting but they are great nonetheless. The area where the demo took place was beautiful but I didn't even realise the graphics were cartoony until they showed the trailer after the demo. I missed the first trailer because my computer decided to torment me by crashing JUST as E3 was beginning. When I saw the demo I just thought they were the same graphics as TP but a lot brighter. And I heard Nintendo nearly used TP graphics. I think if they had used TP graphics that would have been very lazy, even more lazy than these graphics.
1 person liked this post: Dovakiin
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 AM
superbeast101 superbeast101 is a male Australia superbeast101 is offline
Goron
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
View Posts: 258
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

I don't think they're too bad really, it's another direction graphics wise it seems to me, and that shows that they're not happy to just do the same thing again.
TP got panned for being too similar in gameplay and style to previous zelda games, If i were a developer on TP i probably would have taken that pretty harshly and had the attitude of if different is what they want, different is what they're going to get. which some things we've seen and heard indicate, but it's too early to judge the entire game or the finished product on the e3 demo..
__________________
Your cold heart runs dry of blood. Decaying from the inside out. With forked tongue your failure sounds, No one hears the shouts. Igniting The Embers- ILCONTENT

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/ilcontentmusic

.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -