Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Brainiac the Brave Brainiac the Brave is a male United States Brainiac the Brave is offline
Anouki
View Posts: 55
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

I preferably love the graphics. Loved both WW's and TP's graghic, so a cobination of both is quite cool to me. I love both the colours and the way it looks. I even heard they were going to bring back cel-shading. Unbeknownst to me was how cool and colorful it was going to be.
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 08:33 AM
DigificWriter DigificWriter is a male United States DigificWriter is offline
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 338

I personally don't get the feeling that there is all that big a difference between the graphics of TP and the graphics of SS other than a shift in the color palette and an attempt to blend the realistic with the 'cartoon'; to me, the graphics strike a unique balance between the more realistic-looking graphics of games like OoT, MM, and TP, and the 'toony'/cell-shaded graphics of the other more recent games (TWW, PH, ST, etc.) while still staying firmly on the realistic side of the spectrum.
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 08:50 AM
superbeast101 superbeast101 is a male Australia superbeast101 is offline
Goron
View Posts: 258

take a look at the picture of the stalfos from the demo.. I think that looks as good if not better than anything in TP, it shows promise for those sceptics on it being able to have a realistic dark look to it as well.. the game could just be a varied look depending on where you are in it..

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/ilcontentmusic

#24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Goron
View Posts: 257

I really like the art direction, I found TP too dull and it suffered from the "next-gen brown filter" syndrome. I think with the dev. time left they can really polish them up and make them look spectacular.

As a side note, I've been thinking wouldn't it be an interesting game mechanic if when we descended from Skyloft into the land below (Hyrule?) the art style changed to look like the concept art. Kind of like the difference between light Hyrule and the twilight portions in TP. As Link drives back the evil it begins to look like what we've seen in the trailer.
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Anouki
View Posts: 46

I think this game is gonna end up looking great! While right now it does look ok, nintendo knows it can be better, which is why they're taking another year to polish it and make it look even better. But I do have to say, that picture of that tree really bothers me.. it just doesn't look good.
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 11:38 AM
I only know one spell
View Posts: 1,094

I like Twilight Princess' graphics better than these, and I'm not saying that I hate Skyward Sword's graphics, its just that I prefer TP's. So, what's aggravating for me, is to hear them say that it was originally suppose to be identical to TP's, and since I like the "realistic" style better, I would've rather that they stuck to it.

Also, showing an upgraded version of TP's graphics, would've shown that they were able to produce games with advanced graphics, such as those on Monster Hunter.

I personally, don't like the graphics, although I appreciate the style difference, and that they are trying something new. I just wish that they would've went with Twilight Princess-influenced graphics.
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Twili
View Posts: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry-Boyle View Post
You see what I'm getting at, the Wii is not much better then a gamecube in terms of graphical presentation. Notice how TP, a gamecube game beats Monster Hunter Tri in terms of graphics(A wii game?) and only slightly loses to Mario Galaxy 2. I'm saying the graphics so shaders, lightning etc., not artwork btw. So the Wii's graphical limitations are pretty much the same as that of a gamecube. At least that's how I can make sense out of the pictures.
I don't think you've ever played MH3 if you think TP beats it graphically. The backdrops are 360 lever, the way the monsters look and sound are honestly REALISTIC, even though they don't exist. MH3, Prime 3, Red Steel 2, Silent Hill Shattered Memories and SMG2 destroys TP easily. Nintendo could have went with a realistic style if they wanted, and it would have looked good, just not as amazing as your average PS360 game. I think you need to replay TP if you honestly think that.

Anyway I think that SS looks great, needs polish.
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Twili
View Posts: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGNIS View Post
I'm disappointed with what has been shown so far. I'm hoping to appreciate the game further and to see what more it has to offer.
As far as mind-blowing goes, it's all tied to expectations. We've been discussing ZWii for years, so it's only natural to expect something elusive or mind-blowing to be shown.
After SMG and Monster Hunter Tri, I had hope that ZWii would throw something much more inspiring to our faces.

yeah me too, i just remember reading news articles entitled "Monster Hunter 3 graphics give Zelda team a scare."

so immediately in my mind i was like "ohhh yah they are gonna make Zelda so bloody amazing to beat out this game!"

unfortunately, that doesnt seem to be the case
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Being a lunatic isn't enough
View Posts: 1,927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexman13 View Post
yeah me too, i just remember reading news articles entitled "Monster Hunter 3 graphics give Zelda team a scare."

so immediately in my mind i was like "ohhh yah they are gonna make Zelda so bloody amazing to beat out this game!"

unfortunately, that doesnt seem to be the case
So just because the graphics in this game aren't realistic, you think this game isn't going to be "bloody amazing"?
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Twili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Mara View Post
So just because the graphics in this game aren't realistic, you think this game isn't going to be "bloody amazing"?
i meant graphic wise, the game itself may still be awesome. like they say

WW and TP are like brother and sister. They are beautiful and distinct in their own way. However if they were to mate with eachother, it would create a hideous abomination. A bastard child so to speak. (SS)
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 01:09 PM
I am bad at coming up with usernames.
Send a message via Skype™ to GallyG
View Posts: 482

I honestly wasn't too surprised. I was half-expecting them to come up with cel-shading. Why? Spaceworld 2000.
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 5

Honestly, I like the graphics. There is one exception, though. I think that someone brought this up earlier, but the large tree in one of the screenshots really bugged me. For me, it's specifically the leaves. They look flat. The rest of the game looks great though (from what we've seen).

Sig by me.
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 01:36 PM
something
View Posts: 2,419

Is it cell-shading or not? Some say it is, some say it isn't.
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Twili
View Posts: 431

Yes it is cell shading.
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 01:50 PM
The folly of man
Send a message via AIM to Fire Bird Send a message via Skype™ to Fire Bird
View Posts: 9,389

I like them because they are different. If the same thing is done every time, then it gets old and boring. They also have a very nice quality to them. I guess they seem to look a little more smooth. Sort of whimsical and bright. Very nice to look at, rather than the dull colors of TP. Not that those graphics were bad. They are just both two totally different styles.
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Twili

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJonahx View Post
Yes it is cell shading.
Correction: its called Impressionism. (but its basically Cell shading)
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Skyloftian
View Posts: 777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexman13 View Post
Correction: its called Impressionism. (but its basically Cell shading)
im going to explain it once and once only

Impressionism is an art style, cel shading is a rendering technigue to make computer animated objects look more hand drawn, cartoonish you could say
SO YES SKYWAY SWORD IS CEL SHADED DAMMIT
Last Edited by Zelda forever; 06-21-2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason:
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 02:35 PM
xDarkLonerXx xDarkLonerXx is a male United States xDarkLonerXx is offline
Mogma
View Posts: 158

I kinda like the whole painting style for graphics. The Wii isn't a graphics hog like the Ps3 and 360. Sure people were disappointed with Nintendo for not making SS with TP like graphics. But art style changes; and I'm really looking froward to seeing the landscapes up-close in the upcoming year. It just looks all the more appealing because well I was kinda disappointed seeing TP so dark and dull. With very little color. Seeing SS with the color of WW and style of TP makes for an awesome combination
Adventure of Link, Triforce of the Gods(Link to the Past), Isle of Dreams (Link's Awakening), Ocarina of Time (MQ, 3D), Majora's Mask, Oracle of Seasons/Ages(Linked Game), The Wind Waker/Wind Waker HD Hero Mode, Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures, Minish Cap, Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword (Hero Mode included), Link Between Worlds (Hero Mode included)

Heretic Timeline:
------------WW > PH > ST
SS>OoT<- MM > TP
------------ALttP> OoS> OoA> LA> ALBW> LoZ> AoL

MC > FS > FSA
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Skyloftian
View Posts: 777

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDarkLonerXx View Post
I kinda like the whole painting style for graphics. The Wii isn't a graphics hog like the Ps3 and 360. Sure people were disappointed with Nintendo for not making SS with TP like graphics. But art style changes; and I'm really looking froward to seeing the landscapes up-close in the upcoming year. It just looks all the more appealing because well I was kinda disappointed seeing TP so dark and dull. With very little color. Seeing SS with the color of WW and style of TP makes for an awesome combination
Tp would look gay with brighter or more colors, SS just looks too colorful, it matches the art style i guess, but its not the best art looking graphics out there, might actually be the worst lol
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Goron
View Posts: 216

If the art style was exactly the same then it would have to be TPver2 a new art style brings a whole new game.

Majoras Mask used the same engine as OoT and was more or less OoT + Epic Side Quests, much similarly to PH and ST, ST was and is entirely PHver2, it has a very conceptually similar story and is just as linear, it just made it less tedious to play it.
Closed Thread