Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #281 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 02:33 PM
MajorasWrath1 MajorasWrath1 is a male United States MajorasWrath1 is offline
Sage of Shadows
Send a message via ICQ to MajorasWrath1 Send a message via AIM to MajorasWrath1 Send a message via Yahoo to MajorasWrath1 Send a message via Skype™ to MajorasWrath1
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ancient Castle of Ikana
View Posts: 1,934
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

I don't know, I still don't see how it looks like a painting. It certainly doesn't look very much like a Monet, because I'm very familiar with his work. All they've really done is used sh^@ty textures and some blurring in the background and claimed it to be impressionist. I wouldn't really mind if they really did make it look like a painting, but it would certainly need more work for that. For one thing, they should have 3D grass and much more detailed tree and enemy models, but after fully rendering them maybe splotch the colors on the SCREEN, not on the textures themselves, around a bit to look like paint strokes. I've done alot of that in photoshop and using 3D modeling programs and whatnot so I do know what i'm talking about.
__________________
Belief or disbelief rests with you. To die without leaving a corpse... that is the way of us Garo
________________________________________
Last Edited by MajorasWrath1; 06-29-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason:
  #282 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 02:47 PM
arkazain arkazain is a male Sweden arkazain is offline
Goron
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sweden
View Posts: 269
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

As much as I want it to look like a painting, I can't see it as a whole, only in the textures
I have to say that Okami pulls of the moving painting part better, but I'll just have to see in the final product (which will hopefully be good
  #283 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 02:48 PM
GanondorfLord GanondorfLord is a male England GanondorfLord is offline
I AM THE LORD OF ALL EVIL!
Send a message via Skype™ to GanondorfLord
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Over there.....
View Posts: 504
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Right, I called you a robot because you're like the hordes of other unimaginative people out there who care for nothing except graphics. That's what I mean when I say robot.

Also, you say I don't want to admit Zelda is graphically handicapped. Oh I do admit that and I know full well it is, the difference is, I don't give a damn, I will treat it like every other game. Judge it on it's gameplay That's why games are called GAMES, as in interactive, as in gameplay. If you want something interesting looking, watch a movie. Plenty of them look realistic and since that's your only criteria, I think that would be perfect
__________________


Previously called Ganondorf1234.
Have the complaints about SS graphics died down yet?
My BA character(s):Anahei
  #284 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 02:57 PM
MajorasWrath1 MajorasWrath1 is a male United States MajorasWrath1 is offline
Sage of Shadows
Send a message via ICQ to MajorasWrath1 Send a message via AIM to MajorasWrath1 Send a message via Yahoo to MajorasWrath1 Send a message via Skype™ to MajorasWrath1
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ancient Castle of Ikana
View Posts: 1,934
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Alright, given the screenshot posted above, these versions would look alot more like actual paintings. Click the bar above them to see them full-sized. I kinda like #4











And that's just working with the screenshot that already has sh&t textures and trees and no 3D grass. Imagine how nice some possibilities could look if Nintendo fixed all of that first. Geez Nintendo stop making me do your job for you.
__________________
Belief or disbelief rests with you. To die without leaving a corpse... that is the way of us Garo
________________________________________
Last Edited by MajorasWrath1; 06-29-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason:
  #285 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Enuf3 Enuf3 is a male United_States Enuf3 is offline
Light Spirit
Send a message via AIM to Enuf3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CT - USA
View Posts: 3,121
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 10th Rider View Post
Here's what I liked:



Notice the background looks like a painting, It's like TP, WW, and the "impressionist" art style all rolled into one!
Meh, I like this one more:



Doesn't look entirely like a painting.. But at least it's easier on the eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanondorfLord View Post
Right, I called you a robot because you're like the hordes of other unimaginative people out there who care for nothing except graphics. That's what I mean when I say robot.
Ahoy.. What a mess your post is..

Alright, lets begin. First of all, you really have no right to call me unimaginative. No right at all. You don't know much about who I am or where my interests lie.

I'm a visual whore. And art, is not only for the mind, but for the eyes (as well as many other things).

This is a thread to discuss the graphics of Skyward Sword. You get that? Read the title, bub.

Therefore, I'm NOT going to come in here and discuss gameplay. Why? Because this thread isn't about gameplay. Also, there's very little known about SS's gameplay to begin with.

So no.. I'm not a robot. Not in the slightest. If you were given a peak at my bedroom you'd probably be a little surprised. Many people have said that I am far too imaginative... Hell, some have said that I am disturbed. Maybe they're right! But I am DEFINITELY not a robot.

I simply want to see a Zelda game done with beautiful realistic graphics... So don't be a fool. The only unimaginative ones here are those who feel Zelda should be confined to a toony art style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanondorfLord View Post
Also, you say I don't want to admit Zelda is graphically handicapped. Oh I do admit that and I know full well it is, the difference is, I don't give a damn, I will treat it like every other game. Judge it on it's gameplay That's why games are called GAMES, as in interactive, as in gameplay. If you want something interesting looking, watch a movie. Plenty of them look realistic and since that's your only criteria, I think that would be perfect
Yes, you don't give a damn. That's exactly it. You and many others on here will play a game that poses as art and not give it a second thought. That means you are either very unintelligent, or just someone who truly doesn't give a rat's ass about preserving Zelda's special place in the gaming world.

And I know what video games are, genius. I also know that they have the ability to become fantastic works of art. And in my opinion, Zelda is losing it's hold on being art.
__________________
  #286 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 03:15 PM
arkazain arkazain is a male Sweden arkazain is offline
Goron
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sweden
View Posts: 269
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Just a quick edit in Photoshop:



  #287 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Hettman Hettman is a male Canada Hettman is offline
Goron
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: I'm not tellin you!
View Posts: 525
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

It seems to me like the grafic art looks a bit lazily done because the fact its a comprimise between what the western world wants and what japan wants.

But I will pass my judgement when I finish this game!
__________________


Get through the valley of death Lurrrre and find peace with God!

-----------------------

Remember me? Time and motivation can be a real problem sometimes!
  #288 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Lilcross Lilcross is a male Lilcross is offline
Twili
Join Date: Jul 2009
View Posts: 434
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuf3 View Post


To be honest, it would be a huge step up, I think. In FF they mix realism with different art styles. So they kinda meet halfway.

Uh, yes? Have you never played a fantasy game that uses realism?

Really now, it's starting to sound like a lot of you live in a great big Nintendo cave.. distant from the rest of the gaming world. I promise you, outside of those walls.. There's something far greater.


-Why not? The temple monsters in Uncharted 1, the cave "creatures" in Uncharted 2... and it all worked beautifully. Why is it so hard for you to imagine a large expansion on that? Minus the guns and the helicopters and the explosions... but set in a more Zelda-like world.. It's truly isn't that difficult.

-As for FF13.. Minus the character models, the environments really are just a step down, if not the same, than Uncharted 2...

Agreed.

I have a PS3 and a Wii, and I play both reguraly. First Party and Third Party titles. I have no idea what your talking about.

Because it woulden't work, that's why. You can't go bat**** crazy with an Uncharted 2 setting. It's obvious, man.

WW boss:



TP boss:



It's unfair to compare FF13's huge overworld map to the linear cinematics of Uncharted 2.

And you should see the art design in later levels. I can't find a good picture of it, but it looks great. A final fantasy art style with Zelda would own so hard.

*Bad pic, but whatever*



EDIT: OMG you cant see the pics I spent like 10 minutes looking for. /sigh
__________________
http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5347992&dateline=1246  971248
Last Edited by Lilcross; 06-29-2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason:
  #289 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 03:29 PM
GanondorfLord GanondorfLord is a male England GanondorfLord is offline
I AM THE LORD OF ALL EVIL!
Send a message via Skype™ to GanondorfLord
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Over there.....
View Posts: 504
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Please, just spend your time stood in front of a painting with a magnifying glass. Don't call yourself a gamer. I am talking about gameplay because people are saying SS is crap due to it's graphics and are completely forgetting the real picture.

We haven't seen enough? Don't make me laugh. There was a nice lengthy demo at E3 that showed off the swordplay, bow and arrows, bombs, and new weapons like the beetle and the whip. Plenty of enemies to fight and even a boss. So don't try that angle with me.
__________________


Previously called Ganondorf1234.
Have the complaints about SS graphics died down yet?
My BA character(s):Anahei
Last Edited by GanondorfLord; 06-29-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason:
  #290 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Enuf3 Enuf3 is a male United_States Enuf3 is offline
Light Spirit
Send a message via AIM to Enuf3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CT - USA
View Posts: 3,121
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcross View Post
Because it woulden't work, that's why. You can't go bat**** crazy with an Uncharted 2 setting. It's obvious, man.
How is it obvious??? Please, play Just Cause 2. It may not have monsters and fantasy-like creations... But just envision in your head, that setting... (minus the present-day buildings and vehicles) with say, horses.. little towns and farms.. massive temples with menacing creatures roaming about...

How is that so hard to picture? A game like that in medieval-looking times with monsters and what have you.. It's so simple, man..

How on Earth can I be accused of being unimaginative when the toony defenders can't even picture the description above....
__________________
Last Edited by Enuf3; 06-29-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason:
  #291 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 04:03 PM
-Jin- -Jin- is a male Belgium -Jin- is offline
Send a message via AIM to -Jin- Send a message via Skype™ to -Jin-
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Belgium
View Posts: 1,117
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuf3 View Post
I fail to understand how a toony world.. is a greater fantasy experience than a world that actually looks like it could be real. As if you could step through a magic window and be THERE.
I never said it was a greater fantasy experience. I don't mind realism either but it has to fit the genre. I really love Uncharted as well, but I don't feel like Zelda would work in Uncharted graphics. Again just my opinion. I just think SS's style works or the type of game it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuf3 View Post
Zelda fans need to grow up a little. Miyamoto isn't going to live forever. Does no one want to see a Zelda game that takes itself a little more seriously?
Zelda has always taken itself serious. Even WW. Ganondorf's Speech before battling him was probably one of the most serious moments I've known in a Zelda game.

I'm 23 and quite grown up, I just don't get what's wrong with liking this style. Why can't we like different styles all of the sudden? I love disney movies, but Pulp Fiction and Fight Club are also 2 of my favorite movies.

So no matter what look Zelda is going to get, I'm always going to enjoy having a new look to the game. Why complain really? It's one of the things that makes Zelda stand out. The next game is probably going to look very different again. Don't you guys prefer a diversity in style then having the same style, just upgraded, every single game?
  #292 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Enuf3 Enuf3 is a male United_States Enuf3 is offline
Light Spirit
Send a message via AIM to Enuf3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CT - USA
View Posts: 3,121
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jin- View Post
I never said it was a greater fantasy experience. I don't mind realism either but it has to fit the genre. I really love Uncharted as well, but I don't feel like Zelda would work in Uncharted graphics. Again just my opinion. I just think SS's style works or the type of game it is.
And what kind of game is it? Cause we really don't know a whole lot about it, other than that it tries to be impressionistic.



Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jin- View Post
Zelda has always taken itself serious. Even WW. Ganondorf's Speech before battling him was probably one of the most serious moments I've known in a Zelda game.
That's just it, though. With Wind Waker.. The story was dark, mature and took itself seriously. But the art style... ugh.. I don't mind the look of it... But when it's blanketing something as serious as WW's story, it doesn't work. It REALLY pulled me out of the game's more powerful moments. I didn't think it took itself seriously in that sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jin- View Post
I'm 23 and quite grown up, I just don't get what's wrong with liking this style. Why can't we like different styles all of the sudden? I love disney movies, but Pulp Fiction and Fight Club are also 2 of my favorite movies.
Nothing wrong with it. Never said anyone couldn't. However, others are accusing me of being unimaginative for NOT liking it and preferring a Zelda game that uses realism.

SS is very lazy looking. I don't see "impressionism' or any artistic value in the look of the game. The only shot that impressed me was when Link jumped off of the cliff. The sky was gorgeous. But that's all I can really say was good. Everything else looks very bland, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jin- View Post
So no matter what look Zelda is going to get, I'm always going to enjoy having a new look to the game. Why complain really? It's one of the things that makes Zelda stand out. The next game is probably going to look very different again. Don't you guys prefer a diversity in style then having the same style, just upgraded, every single game?
Of course I want diversity. But I want the style of the games to look good. Not just change for the sake of changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanondorfLord View Post
Please, just spend your time stood in front of a painting with a magnifying glass. Don't call yourself a gamer. I am talking about gameplay because people are saying SS is crap due to it's graphics and are completely forgetting the real picture.
One isn't a real gamer for having a strict opinion on a game's art style? How very ignorant of you.

Well stop talking about gameplay. That's NOT the discussion at hand. In this thread, when I or someone else says that SS is crap, we're more than likely commenting on it's appearance and nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanondorfLord View Post
We haven't seen enough? Don't make me laugh. There was a nice lengthy demo at E3 that showed off the swordplay, bow and arrows, bombs, and new weapons like the beetle and the whip. Plenty of enemies to fight and even a boss. So don't try that angle with me.
The demo showed sword play.. Something that looks very similar to the sword play in Wii Sports Resort.

We saw people rolling bombs like a kick ball... and throwing it like a baseball.

We saw a whip that basically.. doesn't do much.

We saw a giant scorpion with obvious weak points.

Let me tell you.. If this is the best of what SS has to offer, I call no deal. I'm pretty sure the E3 demo barely scratches the surface of SS's gameplay.
__________________
Last Edited by Enuf3; 06-29-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason:
  #293 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 04:24 PM
trenchant armadillo United States trenchant armadillo is offline
ಠ_ಠ
Send a message via Skype™ to trenchant armadillo
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas (eyy)
View Posts: 1,309
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

I don't know. Zelda with realistic graphics? It seems to work in theory (why wouldn't it?) but it just doesn't seem right. Twilight Princess came the closest out of all of them, but even then you can see the cartoon-ish influence on the characters.
__________________
The credit belongs to the man in the Arena.

tumblr

It feels like she's just nowhere near
  #294 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 04:44 PM
APEXMAN APEXMAN is a male United States APEXMAN is offline
Twili
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: in the far mountains...
View Posts: 409
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

from what ive seen above. i would hate to have a "painted game." Dont they have like kirby or something for that kind of stuff?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuf3 View Post
That's just it, though. With Wind Waker.. The story was dark, mature and took itself seriously. But the art style... ugh.. I don't mind the look of it... But when it's blanketing something as serious as WW's story, it doesn't work. It REALLY pulled me out of the game's more powerful moments. I didn't think it took itself seriously in that sense.
i felt the same way, i was like "wow, this story is actually really good!" and then i would look at that toon/chibi link, with his big head and stubby legs. Then i would just be out of the experience.

seriously, they just need to sharpen and darken SS style, mabey think carefully about using that Bokoblin design, and give us a real hero!

IT REALLY ISN'T THAT HARD
  #295 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Double A Double A is a male New Zealand Double A is offline
lou you le
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawkland
View Posts: 13,444
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEXMAN View Post
IT REALLY ISN'T THAT HARD
Srsly, go and make a better game if it isn't that hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuf3 View Post
I fail to understand how a toony world.. is a greater fantasy experience than a world that actually looks like it could be real. As if you could step through a magic window and be THERE.
Games that look like they're trying to hijack the real world through realistic graphics often fail because real life 99% of the time looks infinitely better.

Fantasy doesn't come from realism. It comes from the imagination, when parts of the game world are open to interpretation by the player, instead of having details set in stone by the developers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoronWarrior25 View Post
People need to stop dissing people who like realistic-looking graphics. They aren't "imaginatively handicapped" or anything. They just think realism looks beautiful in a game, which, most of the time, it does. Shocking, right?! Sheesh...
Beautiful =/= imaginatively handicapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuf3 View Post
It's funny, because the same people accusing the realism fans of being unimaginative are the ones with absolutely no vision for a realistic looking Zelda. *shrugs*

They'll accept something as bland as SS but deny a Zelda game that looks Just Cause 2... It's remarkable.
No, we all have an idea of what realistic Zelda would look like artstyle-wise. You've been thrusting such pictures into our faces.

But the thing is, you've shown us things that nature shows us, and nature does it better. I can't use my imagination to escape into a worse-looking version of real life, can I?
__________________


What does Double A really want? || "An awesome companion" || Bored?
Quote:
[8:29:31 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: so I ran away cos 40 year old women are not attractive
[8:29:40 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: but it was a dream so I couldnt run
Last Edited by Double A; 06-29-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason:
  #296 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Enuf3 Enuf3 is a male United_States Enuf3 is offline
Light Spirit
Send a message via AIM to Enuf3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CT - USA
View Posts: 3,121
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
Games that look like they're trying to hijack the real world through realistic graphics often fail because real life 99% of the time looks infinitely better.

Fantasy doesn't come from realism. It comes from the imagination, when parts of the game world are open to interpretation by the player, instead of having details set in stone by the developers.



Beautiful =/= imaginatively handicapped.



No, we all have an idea of what realistic Zelda would look like artstyle-wise. You've been thrusting such pictures into our faces.

But the thing is, you've shown us things that nature shows us, and nature does it better. I can't use my imagination to escape into a worse-looking version of real life, can I?
So, basically.. Screw realism, because it's never gonna be as good as real life?

...Right.
__________________
  #297 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Double A Double A is a male New Zealand Double A is offline
lou you le
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hawkland
View Posts: 13,444
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuf3 View Post
So, basically.. Screw realism, because it's never gonna be as good as real life?

...Right.
Considering that you haven't even suggested otherwise, I'd guess so.
__________________


What does Double A really want? || "An awesome companion" || Bored?
Quote:
[8:29:31 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: so I ran away cos 40 year old women are not attractive
[8:29:40 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: but it was a dream so I couldnt run
  #298 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 04:51 PM
APEXMAN APEXMAN is a male United States APEXMAN is offline
Twili
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: in the far mountains...
View Posts: 409
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
Srsly, go and make a better game if it isn't that hard.
Would if i could Double A....would if i could.....
  #299 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Nico Nico is a male Norway Nico is offline
something
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Norway
View Posts: 2,419
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
But the thing is, you've shown us things that nature shows us, and nature does it better. I can't use my imagination to escape into a worse-looking version of real life, can I?
Lets mention Faron Spring. It's one of my favourite spots in Twilight Princess, and I've never approached an area in real life that looks better than how it does. Not even close to it. Yes, the graphics might never be as detailed as how it is in real life, but that doesn't keep the area itself of being more beautiful than something you would see in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
Fantasy doesn't come from realism. It comes from the imagination, when parts of the game world are open to interpretation by the player, instead of having details set in stone by the developers.
Hyrule is a fantasy world. You can do whatever you want with it even if it has realistic graphics, like creating giant trees as a forest temple. To be honest, I feel more connected to Twilight Princess than any other Zelda game because of the more realistic sceneries, and it definately makes my imagination wander more than what Wind Waker did even though it's cartoony. For instance, I could picture myself how it would be behind Faron Spring. It's so much easier to relate to as it's closer to be something you could picture yourself in real life. At least that's how it is to me.
__________________
  #300 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Melpomene Australia Melpomene is offline
Super Mecha Death Christ
Send a message via Skype™ to Melpomene

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Besaid
View Posts: 11,873
Re: Skyward Sword Graphics

Quote:
I really didn't want to see cel-shaded graphics on the next big Zelda title... But after I saw that it was based on surrealism and art I accepted it alot more, it looks intriguing, deep, interesting. Still might've preferred another realistic title, but Nintendo had good reasons so oh well
It isn't based on surrealism. This is surrealism.
SS is based on impressionism.
__________________

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノRaise your dongersヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -