Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #81 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 03:36 AM
Double A Double A is a male New Zealand Double A is online now
The "he" in Catastrophe
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
Wii U ID: 80espiay

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grumble Volcano
View Posts: 14,220
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Helmet View Post
Nobody here cares about accessible, Double A. Why should any of us want a Zelda game to be accessible? What does it bring to us personally? Almost nothing.
I think you misinterpret "accessible".

Accessible involves intuitive-as-possible controls, with gameplay that can be stopped and started at any time (so length of gameplay isn't compelling you to keep playing, it's enjoyment of gameplay). Accessible means something that anyone can play.

They could have filled the entire Wiimote with things in Galaxy, but then gameplay would be too inaccessible. The constant requirement to exit temples just to save the game and the time limit in MM made it rather inacccessible, and lost it points even in the "hardcore" critique. Plus, it was annoying as hell.

If you wanna argue like that, then
What would making ZWii inaccessible bring to Nintendo? How would it benefit them? Almost nothing.
__________________


A Fedora || "Rex" || Bored? || PM me to join the Mario Kart 8 Skype group
Reply With Quote
  #82 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 03:37 AM
TheBattler TheBattler is a male United States TheBattler is offline
the battler
Send a message via AIM to TheBattler
Join Date: Mar 2009
View Posts: 1,105
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGNIS View Post
Should it remain that way? That's the question. Storyline has gotten priority in the most recent AAA video games.
Storyline is a priority, and Miyamoto has said this.

But no good game has 100% focus on the storyline.

Quote:
Miyamoto has clearly stated that he does not like epic games,
Star Fox.

Quote:
and his influence keeps showing up in the shallow, uninspired stories that the LoZ games are based on.
Miyamoto had just as much input on recent Zeldas as the most "storyline-driven" game, Majora's Mask.

Quote:
In the end, I think the lack of Miyamoto's influence would benefit the series to a pretty high degree. It would be ideal to have Aonuma as the producer and pass the console game developing to Capcom.
Funny thing is that Capcom cares even less about the storyline.

Most of you don't seem to know what the different video game roles are.

A producer is supposed to make sure the product has quality, and will sell. That is what Miyamoto has been doing.

If you like certain titles so much, go and tell your friends to buy them.
__________________
"Believing in your friends and embracing that belief by forgiving failure...
These feelings have vanished from our hearts" ~Igos du Ikana, Majora's Mask
Reply With Quote
  #83 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 03:51 AM
Crab Helmet Crab Helmet is a male United Kingdom Crab Helmet is offline
Operator please
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Never never land.
View Posts: 8,629
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
I think you misinterpret "accessible".

Accessible involves intuitive-as-possible controls, with gameplay that can be stopped and started at any time (so length of gameplay isn't compelling you to keep playing, it's enjoyment of gameplay). Accessible means something that anyone can play.
I understand the meaning of accessible perfectly. Some games just aren't pick up and play. Take Super Metroid. It undoubtedly has the best controls of any platforming game to date, but they aren't accessible. One-wall wall-jumping is something you slowly master, even more so for bomb jumps.

Quote:
They could have filled the entire Wiimote with things in Galaxy, but then gameplay would be too inaccessible. The constant requirement to exit temples just to save the game and the time limit in MM made it rather inacccessible, and lost it points even in the "hardcore" critique. Plus, it was annoying as hell.
I'd have prefered it if there had been more options in Galaxy. Also, the time limit in MM gave it points in the hardcore department from me. You're pressured, and it's intense. Exiting to save I'll give you, but that isn't accessibility so much as a general design flaw. It has nothing to do with how the controls function or how easy the game is to learn to pick up, it's just a saving restriction, much like how in the Metroid series you can only save at save stations.

Quote:
If you wanna argue like that, then
What would making ZWii inaccessible bring to Nintendo? How would it benefit them? Almost nothing.
Do I care? How did making Ico benefit Team ICO? It brought them almost nothing, and sold poorly. But, it was an amazingly high quality game. Were they discouraged? No, they went on to release Shadow of the Colosses, which was similarly amazing, and similarly didn't sell particularly well. Were they discouraged? No, they are going on to release Toriko: the Giant Man-Devouring Eagle. There are some developers who make games because they want to make good games.

99% of indy games do not benefit the creators in anyway. Look at CaveStory. The amount of time Pixel must have sunk into that is amazing, and yet, he had no idea there would be any benefits in any way! He offered it free! It wasn't until someone recognised the quality that they brought it to Wiiware.

Nintendo has massive profit margins, and massive sellers like the "Wii" series. I'd rather they pumped some of that money into making quality games, than simply pumping that money into making more money.
Reply With Quote
  #84 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 04:17 AM
Double A Double A is a male New Zealand Double A is online now
The "he" in Catastrophe
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
Wii U ID: 80espiay

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grumble Volcano
View Posts: 14,220
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Helmet View Post
I understand the meaning of accessible perfectly. Some games just aren't pick up and play. Take Super Metroid. It undoubtedly has the best controls of any platforming game to date, but they aren't accessible. One-wall wall-jumping is something you slowly master, even more so for bomb jumps.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Super Metroid the last console Metroid for a long time, and didn't the bad sales discourage Nintendo from making another Metroid for a while?

Nintendo cares about sales. Otherwise they wouldn't have made the Wii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Helmet View Post
I'd have prefered it if there had been more options in Galaxy. Also, the time limit in MM gave it points in the hardcore department from me. You're pressured, and it's intense. Exiting to save I'll give you, but that isn't accessibility so much as a general design flaw. It has nothing to do with how the controls function or how easy the game is to learn to pick up, it's just a saving restriction, much like how in the Metroid series you can only save at save stations.
Well I wouldn't have preferred it. And from a professional critic viewpoint, MM lost points for its time limit, and people like you didn't help it. "Me me me me me."

And yes, the saving system in MM did affect accessibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Helmet View Post
Do I care? How did making Ico benefit Team ICO? It brought them almost nothing, and sold poorly. But, it was an amazingly high quality game. Were they discouraged? No, they went on to release Shadow of the Colosses, which was similarly amazing, and similarly didn't sell particularly well. Were they discouraged? No, they are going on to release Toriko: the Giant Man-Devouring Eagle. There are some developers who make games because they want to make good games.
First of all, ICO =/= Nintendo. Nintendo is quite a large company and thus it basically requires money.

Secondly, Id actually like to know how different the games were from each other. If they were very different from each other, it shows that ICO is trying to differentiate themselves from other games to try and find that right type of "unique" that will sell (much like Mario Galaxy sold even though it wasn't one of your everyday bestselling games).

Thirdly, does ICO have much experience in making games that traditionally sell?

EDIT: The people who buy their games are grateful to them. So they make more games for them. Nintendo is merely doing the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Helmet View Post
Do I care?
Should Nintendo care?
__________________


A Fedora || "Rex" || Bored? || PM me to join the Mario Kart 8 Skype group
Last Edited by Double A; 08-14-2009 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #85 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Senap Sweden Senap is offline
Ganon's Follower
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Göteborg
View Posts: 2,640
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Super Metroid the last console Metroid for a long time, and didn't the bad sales discourage Nintendo from making another Metroid for a while?
I've read about these poor sales recently (I had no idea, I thought it had sold well).

Anyway, I remember interviews with Nintendo back in the late 90's where someone explained that they didn't want to make Metroid for N64 as they probably couldn't meet Super Metroid expectations.

True or not, I must agree with that, as Metroid on N64 would have been sucky regardlesss of style (Traditional 3rd person or Metroid Prime FPS style).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #86 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Kostya Kostya is a male United States Kostya is offline
Light Spirit
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The collective has no location
View Posts: 9,390
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

There wasn't a metroid for the N64? Now that i think about it i guess so. Anyway the time limit in MM is one of the reasons i rank it rather low. It's just so confusing. For instance i'm stuck on trying to clear the THEM minigame. I can't seem to figure out what to do beccause i'm having trouble reading the timer.
Reply With Quote
  #87 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Senap Sweden Senap is offline
Ganon's Follower
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Göteborg
View Posts: 2,640
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

^ I don't understand what's so confusing about it, it's just a clock. It's even numbered, to help you keep track of the time:
http://www.zeldaelements.net/games_m...enshots/48.jpg

That screenshot for instance, was taken at 7:30 PM on the 1st day. The game "ends" at 6 AM on the 4th day.

But I suppose there are tutorials online (GameFAQs?) to help you understand how it works...
__________________
Last Edited by Senap; 08-14-2009 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #88 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 12:16 PM
TheGeminiSage TheGeminiSage is a female United States TheGeminiSage is offline
Deku Scrub
Send a message via AIM to TheGeminiSage
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Clinton, SC. Don't visit. ><;
View Posts: 119
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

So why don't they just remake OoT?

Seriously. Remake OoT, TP style, or give us a direct sequel (same Link/universe) to satify all those wearing nostalgia goggles. That done, those craving the good old days can finally be sated and they'll quit clamoring for moar OoT and then the games we have now can be free to explore all kinds of new things without the worry of losing the giant OoT-loving fanbase that helps sell the games.
__________________
The Reign of Ganon - Now with ART!
Thanks to Veyrael for moving this to Showcase! <3

FFN dA YT
f(O_o)f Rawr! Redead attack!
Reply With Quote
  #89 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 12:47 PM
andrewguy andrewguy is offline
Anouki
Join Date: Jun 2008
View Posts: 47
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeminiSage View Post
So why don't they just remake OoT?

Seriously. Remake OoT, TP style, or give us a direct sequel (same Link/universe) to satify all those wearing nostalgia goggles. That done, those craving the good old days can finally be sated and they'll quit clamoring for moar OoT and then the games we have now can be free to explore all kinds of new things without the worry of losing the giant OoT-loving fanbase that helps sell the games.

That's just moving backwards! The whole reason I would like miyamoto to change his approach is because he just wants the game to sell. It seems as if he doesn't care for the game's originality or depth. He just cares about innovation.
__________________

Skull kid owns
Reply With Quote
  #90 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Orwell Orwell is a male United States Orwell is offline
The Illustrated Man
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ...?
View Posts: 770
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeminiSage View Post
So why don't they just remake OoT?

Seriously. Remake OoT, TP style, or give us a direct sequel (same Link/universe) to satify all those wearing nostalgia goggles. That done, those craving the good old days can finally be sated and they'll quit clamoring for moar OoT and then the games we have now can be free to explore all kinds of new things without the worry of losing the giant OoT-loving fanbase that helps sell the games.
I hope 'Moto doesn't care about the OoT, MM, or WW fanbase and make something original.
Reply With Quote
  #91 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Calypso Calypso is a female France Calypso is offline
Boobs and Bossa Nova
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fabuland
View Posts: 4,445
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewguy View Post
That's just moving backwards! The whole reason I would like miyamoto to change his approach is because he just wants the game to sell. It seems as if he doesn't care for the game's originality or depth. He just cares about innovation.
Yeah, innovation of gameplay--something that, nowadays, is just not enough for most video games. Something like Mario, sure--after all, who really plays any Mario game for the story?

Zelda, however, is certainly not in that category. Games like Zelda require much more than innovative gameplay to catch the eye of the general gaming audience--it needs flashy graphics, great music and a well fleshed out, interesting story.

This at least, is something I know I personally look for with video games. Fun gameplay can only hold me for so long. In the end, it is the characters and their stories that hold me--this is why I'm so crazy over the Metal Gear Solid series as well. A perfect example of story-driven gameplay that keeps me entertained.

In short, Miyamoto needs to either step up with the times, or leave Zelda in the hands of another who will.
__________________

3DS Friend code: 1822-0897-4163
Reply With Quote
  #92 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Meeps Meeps is a male United Kingdom Meeps is offline
Zora Warrior
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: N/A
View Posts: 362
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

No. I don't think that Miyamoto is holding the series back. In fact, he isn't really in a position to do that.

Here is an Iwata Asks interview regarding Twilight Princess. It's spread out into ten parts, and in some of the later parts Miyamoto explains the role that he played in development:

http://www.nintendo.com/wii/what/iwa...olume-5/part-1

Miyamoto's role in development isn't really to come up with ideas. His role is to oversee development, and tell the designers how they could refine certain aspects of the gameplay.
Last Edited by Meeps; 08-14-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #93 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Abyss Master Abyss Master is a male Norway Abyss Master is offline
CONSTANT VIGILANCE
Send a message via AIM to Abyss Master Send a message via Skype™ to Abyss Master
Steam ID: AbyssMaster91 Wii U ID: TomOlav
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hell if I know
View Posts: 4,941
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
Yeah, innovation of gameplay--something that, nowadays, is just not enough for most video games. Something like Mario, sure--after all, who really plays any Mario game for the story?
No-one played Zelda for the story either.

Quote:
Zelda, however, is certainly not in that category.
Probably not anymore, but it certainly was.

Quote:
Games like Zelda require much more than innovative gameplay to catch the eye of the general gaming audience--it needs flashy graphics, great music and a well fleshed out, interesting story.
Nnnnno. Innovative gameplay? Eh, sure. Great music? Duh. Story? Haha no. OoT, perhaps the best example for a commercially and critically acclaimed Zelda title, had a very simple storyline. People did not play the original Zelda for the story. The story is not what brought the Zelda series to such popularity. Games like the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are examples of where the Zelda series is going. More complex stories.

So, the Zelda series is not about the story. Yet.
Reply With Quote
  #94 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Kostya Kostya is a male United States Kostya is offline
Light Spirit
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The collective has no location
View Posts: 9,390
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

Abyss: What are you talking about? OOT had a very deep story for it's time.
Reply With Quote
  #95 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Swabbie Silver Swabbie Silver is a male Union of Britain Swabbie Silver is offline
That's your share of the loot. Enough to shut you up, I hope.
Send a message via Skype™ to Swabbie Silver
Steam ID: tw64 3DS ID: 2921-9179-3622

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Miklagard
View Posts: 24,115
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni Dark Link View Post
Abyss: What are you talking about? OOT had a very deep story for it's time.
Hahaha no. Games like Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger, on the Super Nintendo, had deep storylines. OOT did not.
__________________
Want the clan test? Send me a PM!

<Steam>
Reply With Quote
  #96 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Abyss Master Abyss Master is a male Norway Abyss Master is offline
CONSTANT VIGILANCE
Send a message via AIM to Abyss Master Send a message via Skype™ to Abyss Master
Steam ID: AbyssMaster91 Wii U ID: TomOlav
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hell if I know
View Posts: 4,941
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni Dark Link View Post
Abyss: What are you talking about? OOT had a very deep story for it's time.
OoT had a "very deep story" for a Zelda game.
Reply With Quote
  #97 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 02:46 PM
HAPPY MASK MAN HAPPY MASK MAN is a male United Kingdom HAPPY MASK MAN is offline
Is anyone going to buy any of these masks?! this bag is REALLY heavy!!
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Planet earth
View Posts: 439
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Hahaha no. Games like Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger, on the Super Nintendo, had deep storylines. OOT did not.
your wasted get some sleep.
__________________

Thanks to DaltonR6 for this sick sig!
much respect!
Reply With Quote
  #98 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Double A Double A is a male New Zealand Double A is online now
The "he" in Catastrophe
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
Wii U ID: 80espiay

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grumble Volcano
View Posts: 14,220
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senap View Post
^ I don't understand what's so confusing about it, it's just a clock. It's even numbered, to help you keep track of the time.
It's a time limit, and considering that MM's puzzles were already much harder than normal...
Reply With Quote
  #99 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Swabbie Silver Swabbie Silver is a male Union of Britain Swabbie Silver is offline
That's your share of the loot. Enough to shut you up, I hope.
Send a message via Skype™ to Swabbie Silver
Steam ID: tw64 3DS ID: 2921-9179-3622

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Miklagard
View Posts: 24,115
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY MASK MAN View Post
your wasted get some sleep.


I don't know what you're talking about, mate. I got a good night sleep, and it is currently 3:48 PM where I live, which is far too early to go to bed.

If you would care to add something to the topic other than "ur wasted lol", be my guest.
__________________
Want the clan test? Send me a PM!

<Steam>
Reply With Quote
  #100 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Double A Double A is a male New Zealand Double A is online now
The "he" in Catastrophe
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
Wii U ID: 80espiay

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grumble Volcano
View Posts: 14,220
Re: Miyamoto stagnating the series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
Zelda, however, is certainly not in that category. Games like Zelda require much more than innovative gameplay to catch the eye of the general gaming audience--it needs flashy graphics, great music and a well fleshed out, interesting story.
Again, what is it about an elf kid who hangs around with fairies and imps that says so?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
miyamoto, series, stagnating


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -