Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 9,287
Re: Zelda RPG characters

How would Link overshadow them? They could all be important, does mario ever overshadow his cast in his RPG games?
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Supporter of the "female Link" option
View Posts: 1,580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni Dark Link View Post
How would Link overshadow them? They could all be important, does mario ever overshadow his cast in his RPG games?
Mario works differently, he is a character that can work in all sorts of games. Because things aren't taken that seriously with his games it can work.

Link however is the hero brought forth by the goddesses, a single hero. The one time more than one was needed was with the four sword.

So if Link would ever appear as a playable character, it would be only him with the four sword.
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 79

So wait.. You guys would dislike the inclusion of other playable characters? You would dislike this design choice that, if done correctly, would help the sometimes repetitive nature of the Zelda series? You dislike this design choice because it would mess with the god damn plot? Jesus Christ, you people. It's almost like you think the plot is more important than the gameplay.
Last Edited by JSnake; 07-19-2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnake View Post
So wait.. You guys would dislike the inclusion of other playable characters? You would dislike this design choice that, if done correctly, would help the sometimes repetitive nature of the Zelda series? You dislike this design choice because it would mess with the god damn plot? Jesus Christ, you people. It's almost like you think the plot is more important than the gameplay.
Who are you talking to?
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleitheo View Post
Who are you talking to?
Well, you, actually. Perhaps it's the way you've worded your posts but it seems you'd be against different playable characters even if it made the gameplay better.
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnake View Post
Well, you, actually. Perhaps it's the way you've worded your posts but it seems you'd be against different playable characters even if it made the gameplay better.
Not at all, I am saying having Link in the party with other playable characters would not work because he would overshadow them.

Having a Zelda game with multiple playable characters that don't include Link would work however
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Light Spirit

How would he overshadow them? You haven't properly explained this.
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
How would he overshadow them? You haven't properly explained this.
Yes I have.

Its like looking on the back of the case and seeing the blurb include the line "Play as the legendary Hero sent by the goddesses aswell as some other people who are not anywhere as important"

I'm not seeing how you don't get this.

That and everyone would be focusing on Link and barely looking at the others
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2009, 09:38 PM
#firstworldproblems

View Posts: 5,908

I think that if a Zelda RPG is actually consider, it should not include Link as the main character, especially if it's packed with dialogue and a thick story. By the way, this is assuming it's a spin off. I wouldn't mind if were part of the main series though-- it could be awesome. I think I'd prefer a Wii Ware Zelda RPG. AS for characters, I'd like something like this:

Start out as a group of 3 or 4 Gerudos, each with unique abilities. Later in the game, it could be a group of 3 Hylians and a Zora, then introducing more characters to the group/party. Another section of the game is made of 2 Gorons with similar abilities. Eventually, all of the characters connect at a certain part of the game, and the story and party is decided based on the actions of the player, etc.

It's like an RPG running with the movie Crash or Love Actually format.
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGNIS View Post
I think that if a Zelda RPG is actually consider, it should not include Link as the main character, especially if it's packed with dialogue and a thick story. By the way, this is assuming it's a spin off. I wouldn't mind if were part of the main series though-- it could be awesome. I think I'd prefer a Wii Ware Zelda RPG. AS for characters, I'd like something like this:

Start out as a group of 3 or 4 Gerudos, each with unique abilities. Later in the game, it could be a group of 3 Hylians and a Zora, then introducing more characters to the group/party. Another section of the game is made of 2 Gorons with similar abilities. Eventually, all of the characters connect at a certain part of the game, and the story and party is decided based on the actions of the player, etc.

It's like an RPG running with the movie Crash or Love Actually format.
Not sure it would work out, it would be like all the work you spent on the first party going to waste and starting a different persons save somewhere else.
  #51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Zeldablue777 Zeldablue777 is a female United States Zeldablue777 is offline
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,809

Well...Tingle's coming out with another RPG-esque game with 3 characters that "fight" with him. So, there you go. It exists. xD
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldablue777 View Post
Well...Tingle's coming out with another RPG-esque game with 3 characters that "fight" with him. So, there you go. It exists. xD
Have you played the first one at all? When you get a bodyguard, they are clearly more powerful than you. They are no more than protection aswell.

That works, Link in a party of others wouldn't
  #53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2009, 09:57 PM
#firstworldproblems

View Posts: 5,908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleitheo View Post
Not sure it would work out, it would be like all the work you spent on the first party going to waste and starting a different persons save somewhere else.
The way I'm thinking of it, it could really work. What I posted was really vague since I don't want to type out all the details about this idea, but a well-organized system with different and connected "scenes" could work very nicely. I'd love to see an RPG that runs like that some day
  #54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Commonly Creative
View Posts: 228

You say a party with Link wouldn't work because we'd focus on him alone? If I played a Zelda RPG, I would totally ignore Link, if the others were cool enough. I'm tired of Link, but not tired of Hyrule and the Zelda universe. Put Kafei and Igos in the party and you'd see them at level 30 next to a level 10 Link.

^Most Awesome. Trip. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecove
yeah sue me I'm typing with one hand
  #55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double C View Post
You say a party with Link wouldn't work because we'd focus on him alone? If I played a Zelda RPG, I would totally ignore Link, if the others were cool enough. I'm tired of Link, but not tired of Hyrule and the Zelda universe. Put Kafei and Igos in the party and you'd see them at level 30 next to a level 10 Link.
Well it could go either way in some cases but there will rarely seem to be a middle ground
  #56 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Light Spirit

just because link is the main character doesn't mean the others can't have a big impact on the story.
  #57 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
just because link is the main character doesn't mean the others can't have a big impact on the story.
No, its the kind of character he is that means they won't have that big an impact.

Like I said, a Zelda RPG would work best with multiple characters that do not include Link, he isn't the kind of character that would fit in a party of others
  #58 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Mogma
View Posts: 151

A Mario RPG? Are you people crazy a game like that would never work, first of all Super Mario is a Platformer, not an RPG, plus we already have Final Fantasy, why would i want to play an RPG with a stupid plumber? Face it people Nintendo should never try to make a spinoff game RPG with Mario, it would never work and absolutly suck.

Roleplaying Games with Characters from other genres, what a ridiculous idea.
  #59 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Demon Majora Demon Majora is a male United States Demon Majora is offline
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 139

There was a Mario RPG once, Oni's thread has gond horribly off topic so i'll say: Medli, Darmani, and Zelda.
  #60 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Bucket Mouse Bucket Mouse is a male United States Bucket Mouse is offline
Goron
View Posts: 278

I'm sorry, but Jon Snow, you do realize there have been several Mario RPGs, right? One of which is actually called Super Mario RPG. And they're all fairly good, from what I've heard, although I haven't really played them.

Anyway, sorry, carry on with the topic.

"[I want] a lot, a lot, a LOT more sidequests. I want to bathe in sidequests. I want to DROWN in sidequests. You know how before the events of WW, Hyrule got flooded with water? I want that, but replace the water with sidequests. I want to sail the vast expanses of sidequests on my sidequest boat, who is not the king of Hyrule, but the king of sidequests." -Me

Tags
characters, rpg, zelda