#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Light Spirit
Send a message via AIM to Enuf3
View Posts: 3,121
Re: All those "futuristic Zelda" rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashanark View Post
Futuristic Zelda...Maybe it could work. But I don't think so. The Zelda series doesn't really work like the Final Fantasy series does (basically the same main character every time, for one thing), so it couldn't get away with a cyberpunk setting as easily. I'll think about it...
Uhm.. what?
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Supporter of the "female Link" option
View Posts: 1,580

Quote:
Futuristic Zelda...Maybe it could work. But I don't think so. The Zelda series doesn't really work like the Final Fantasy series does (basically the same main character every time, for one thing), so it couldn't get away with a cyberpunk setting as easily. I'll think about it...
What are you on about? There are several Links and the games take place at different times. What is wrong with a futuristic Zelda?

Also a futuristic Zelda would not be cyberpunk just because Final Fantasy has magic. People misunderstand that a futuristic Zelda would not be FF7 with Zelda paint but the Zelda world further progressed
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Sheikah
View Posts: 558

Sorry for not explaining myself clearly.

What I mean is that Final Fantasy made a very smooth transition from medieval, to steampunk, to high tech, to cyberpunk. However, since every Final Fantasy game is a different story (different land, different characters, different enemies), Square could get away with it very easily. But Zelda does not do this. Most of the games take place in Hyrule, most of the games have Ganon as the main enemy, most of them have Links that might be different people, but have similar personalities.

So making a futuristic Zelda would change all that very suddenly. Nintendo would have to find a new way to make it work. Because us fans are still used to Zelda games where, for example, you use swords, not guns.

And when technology reaches a certain level of advancement, magic isn't as useful. And magic is central to Zelda. The classic plots are based around it. The Triforce is magical, so is Majora's Mask, and all other sorts of plot-significant things.

But having advanced technology makes magic less worthwile. Let's face it: why go to all the trouble of learning a magic spell, or getting the Triforce of Courage, when you have a rapid-firing laser gun, a hovercraft, or a nuke that can do pretty much the same job?

So would a Futuristic Zelda work as a game? Maybe, if it was developed very well. But it would take some creativity to balance out magic and technology; traditional Zelda and futuristic Zelda.

Quote:
Also a futuristic Zelda would not be cyberpunk just because Final Fantasy has magic. People misunderstand that a futuristic Zelda would not be FF7 with Zelda paint but the Zelda world further progressed
Alrighty, Aleitheo, I tried to explain my thoughts. Now you explain how the Zelda world could reasonably progress to futuristic technology.

......WW-PH-ST-OoX-MC-FS-FSA-ALttP
....../
OoT
.....\
.....MM-TP
Last Edited by Ashanark; 07-13-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Sorry for not explaining myself clearly.

What I mean is that Final Fantasy made a very smooth transition from medieval, to steampunk, to high tech, to cyberpunk. However, since every Final Fantasy game is a different story (different land, different characters, different enemies), Square could get away with it very easily. But Zelda does not do this. Most of the games take place in Hyrule, most of the games have Ganon as the main enemy, most of them have Links that might be different people, but have similar personalities.

So making a futuristic Zelda would change all that very suddenly. Nintendo would have to find a new way to make it work. Because us fans are still used to Zelda games where, for example, you use swords, not guns.

And when technology reaches a certain level of advancement, magic isn't as useful. And magic is central to Zelda. The classic plots are based around it. The Triforce is magical, so is Majora's Mask, and all other sorts of plot-significant things.

But having advanced technology makes magic less worthwile. Let's face it: why go to all the trouble of learning a magic spell, or getting the Triforce of Courage, when you have a rapid-firing laser gun, a hovercraft, or a nuke that can do pretty much the same job?

So would a Futuristic Zelda work as a game? Maybe, if it was developed very well. But it would take some creativity to balance out magic and technology; traditional Zelda and futuristic Zelda.

Alrighty, Aleitheo, I tried to explain my thoughts. Now you explain how the Zelda world could reasonably progress to futuristic technology.
It's not a very difficult transition. The Zelda games as they are cover a HUGE time frame. It actually seems kinda ridiculous that Hyrule has yet to progress in technology.. And steam boats/trains isn't really a huge step.

And Ganon is basically immortal. He can live on and on till the end of days. Especially if the writers want him to.
Last Edited by Enuf3; 07-13-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Sheikah
View Posts: 558

Quote:
It's not a very difficult transition. The Zelda games as they are cover a HUGE time frame. It actually seems kinda ridiculous that Hyrule has yet to progress in technology.. And steam boats/trains isn't really a huge step.

And Ganon is basically immortal. He can live on and on till the end of days. Especially if the writers want him to.
If you think about it, humans have been killing each other with swords for at least two thousand years, probably more. And you're right, the trains and steamboats aren't really a huge step. That's why they worked/will work in PH/ST.

But the point is, why have the Master Sword or magic when you can shoot lasers out of a gun? And having a Master Gun isn't quite the same as having a Master Sword. So Nintendo would have to be very smart in how they present the futuristic weapons. Balancing traditional Zelda stuff with high tech things.

......WW-PH-ST-OoX-MC-FS-FSA-ALttP
....../
OoT
.....\
.....MM-TP
Last Edited by Ashanark; 07-13-2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
If you think about it, humans have been killing each other with swords for at least two thousand years, probably more. And you're right, the trains and steamboats aren't really a huge step. That's why they worked/will work in PH/ST.

But the point is, why have the Master Sword or magic when you can shoot lasers out of a gun? And having a Master Gun isn't quite the same as having a Master Sword. So Nintendo would have to be very smart in how they present the futuristic weapons. Balancing traditional Zelda stuff with high tech things.
Yes, but the Zelda universe has magic and other things which should help them advance much quicker than us.

And the Master Sword still works well in a futuristic environment. It's not just some average sword. A laser gun has nothing on the Master Sword.

Look at Star Wars for example.. Giant death balls in the sky blowing planets up.. troopers running around with blasters and war machines.. Yet swords still have a large role in the universe. You don't really see swords (other than lightsabers) in the films, but in the games, novels, comics.. sword are still very much used.
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Zeldablue777 Zeldablue777 is a female United States Zeldablue777 is offline
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
yeah, a Zelda where everything is just gray.....oh wait, LA :p
Lol, even in Link's Awakening I could tell the flowers were suppose to be bright and the ocean was suppose to be blue.

The last think I wanna see is some giant gray machine factory type environment that deals with most of a game...That would probably kill me right there. I couldn't get through FFXII as soon as they threw me in an aircraft maze. xD I had fun in the desert and plains but as soon as you start with the technical crap my interest falls...falls bad. Even in the Great Bay Temple...I was a little upset with the bluish gray. Grey...? Woah, are there two ways to spell grey? O.o

Like I said, advances would be nice, but as soon as they replace the beauty of Zelda's world with crap...Oof, it would be really hard for me to handle. Infact I'd probably rant. And you don't want to see that. The category has never interested me in a game.
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Mr C is also fine
View Posts: 891

Zelda does keep skipping centuries with no real progression on archecture, fashion or technology, Can a people really stay in a fixed point of civilisation for all time? Hylian civilisation has basically been in a fixture point for 700 years with the acception of WW and is ment to be the oldest of all Civilisation in Hyrule until the awful Oocca retcon (unless there lying)

Advances would be nice, fashion evolution, Phasing out Castles for Palaces, archecture and such, Futuristic doesn't mean Link will Captain the Enterprise D.
Last Edited by Celvantis; 07-13-2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Supporter of the "female Link" option
View Posts: 1,580

Think about it, Zelda has magic, that alone makes their technology develop dramatically different.

For starters, magic would be used in conjunction with technology. Because we don't have magic, we could never do that so our technology would have more focus.

Where we eventually have laser weapons, it would take the Zelda universe much longer as they have magic which puts less importance on inventing such technology.

As for guns, they would not be as easy to enchant as swords. That and when someone can learn a fire spell, there is little urgency on trying to make a gun.

Also since ancient magic exists in Hyrule, focus would remain on learning magic to be able to combat it.

Its pretty clear actually, the magic itself shows that technology would develop a lot differently from us.

Other elements would be cultures and so on
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 9,335

Magitek would probably be widely used, like it is in FF6. I beleive its called Arthurian Science Fiction. This refers to a world that looks primitive but is actually on par or ahead of us, yet they still use tradition medieval weapons to an extent. Zelda could probably make it work.
  #51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni Dark Link View Post
Magitek would probably be widely used, like it is in FF6. I beleive its called Arthurian Science Fiction. This refers to a world that looks primitive but is actually on par or ahead of us, yet they still use tradition medieval weapons to an extent. Zelda could probably make it work.
Of course it could make it work.
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuf3 View Post
Of course it could make it work.
Yes but only if the developer's do it properly. As is often said, have a world that realistically looks like a future hyrule not a scifi world with zelda paint.
  #53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Yes but only if the developer's do it properly. As is often said, have a world that realistically looks like a future hyrule not a scifi world with zelda paint.
Well that goes without saying for any Zelda game. If one is not careful we get a TP-esque Hyrule. Which is bad.
  #54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Well that goes without saying for any Zelda game. If one is not careful we get a TP-esque Hyrule. Which is bad.
Enuf3 just for the sake of sanity i'm going to ignore your needless bashing of TP until you can come up with a valid NON-innovation whiny fanboy reason!
  #55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Enuf3 just for the sake of sanity i'm going to ignore your needless bashing of TP until you can come up with a valid NON-innovation whiny fanboy reason!
..... Fanboy? How am I a fanboy for pointing out the fact that a futuristic Zelda would needs developers with a brain.... ?

What, because I pointed out what a lack of talent can lead to? Sorry for dissin your precious TP. Now stfu you whino.
  #56 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Light Spirit

You don't have a valid reason for your hatred of TP face it!
  #57 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 08:20 PM
All Hope Is Gone
Send a message via AIM to Stεvε Send a message via Skype™ to Stεvε
View Posts: 375

Quote:
I personally would love to see a sci fi type of Zelda at LEAST once. I think it could work well if done right.
I agree, even if it was just a spin-off from the timeline, it definitely could work out.
  #58 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
You don't have a valid reason for your hatred of TP face it!
I have many valid reasons, you moron. I've made that very VERY clear in many threads and I don't plan on hijacking this one to explain myself to a TP fanboy with horrid taste in games. Now shut up or go away.
  #59 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
I have many valid reasons, you moron. I've made that very VERY clear in many threads and I don't plan on hijacking this one to explain myself to a TP fanboy with horrid taste in games. Now shut up or go away.
I have never seen you post a valid reason. Appreciate TP for what it did not what it didn't do. I'm not a TP fanboy i'm just trying to help people realize that it's not a bad game, granted i don't place it first but i certainly don't believe it's deserving of all this hate and stupid invalid onesieded opinions! You deserve to go away more for not respecting the zelda franchise!
  #60 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
I have never seen you post a valid reason. Appreciate TP for what it did not what it didn't do. I'm not a TP fanboy i'm just trying to help people realize that it's not a bad game, granted i don't place it first but i certainly don't believe it's deserving of all this hate and stupid invalid onesieded opinions! You deserve to go away more for not respecting the zelda franchise!
And what did it do? Not a whole lot, buddy. It was boring, bland and terribly thought out. And I don't care how much hate it gets. I DON'T LIKE IT. My friends (who are die hard Zelda players) did not like it. Any gamer with an ounce of respect for Zelda didn't like it. Very few would call it "excellent".. And those few are mostly under the age of 15.

Now please... If you want to keep fighting me about TP take it somewhere else. I don't want to see your words on this subject anymore while I am in this god damn thread. Go bug someone else.

Tags
futuristic zelda, rumors