Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-07-2009, 09:21 PM
NJNN NJNN is offline
Monkeys live inside the Sun. Fact.
Join Date: Feb 2008
View Posts: 663
Twilight Princess sequel for DS?

In the minds of every Zelda fan, a TP sequel is practically already confirmed. Every single Link - bar the Flagship ones - has been on a "second quest" of sorts, a game that has the same Link, continues right where it's predecessor left off, and takes place in a different land to it's counterpart. These games are normally the ones to innovate the most: Zelda II, Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask and Pntom Hourglass all innovated in ways their predecessors never could.

But with tensions rising for a new and unique Zelda Wii title, that does bold, new things, would a TP sequel for Wii really be appropriate?

Personally, I think not. Zelda Wii should start with a blank slate, without being tied down by character history, or graphics styles. So where better to have a TP sequel than the DS?

The Phantom Hourglass engine was amazing. It did all sorts of things with it's touch-screen and map shenanigans that we wouldn't of dreamed of before it. Phantom Hourglass may have merely been average, but there is still juice left in that engine. But would you really want another Toon Link adventure so soon?

Solution? A TP Link game running on the PH engine. With better graphics, more varied scenarios, catchier music and new gameplay gimmicks/items, Nintendo could be on to an absolute winner.

It's not like the DS wouldn't be able to do justice to the TP style, either. See Pablo Belmonte's "Mario Galaxy DS" video for how easily a big screen art style can go portable without losing a bit of charm. It could also be to Phantom Hourglass what Majora's Mask is to Ocarina Of Time - a game that takes a solid, stable engine, turns it on it's head, and does something really wacky.

So what do you think? TP2 for DS? Yes? No?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-07-2009, 09:40 PM
GKANG GKANG is a male United Kingdom GKANG is offline
Love yourself.

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: J/RPG, GG.
View Posts: 9,295
Re: Twilight Princess sequel for DS?

The Legend of Zelda: _______ remake/sequel for DS = Bad thread idea.
__________________
| General Gaming: POST. | XBL: SUPERMU7ANT |
ファイナルファンタジーVIII |

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-07-2009, 10:13 PM
NJNN NJNN is offline
Monkeys live inside the Sun. Fact.
Join Date: Feb 2008
View Posts: 663
Re: Twilight Princess sequel for DS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKANG View Post
The Legend of Zelda: _______ remake/sequel for DS = Bad thread idea.
Explain why.

Wind Waker got a sequel on the DS, some 4 years after the game came out.

Remakes on the other hand, are something that should never be touched.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Zeldablue777 Zeldablue777 is a female United States Zeldablue777 is offline
Light Spirit
Join Date: Jul 2008
View Posts: 6,851
Re: Twilight Princess sequel for DS?

Unless TP2 is 2D it shouldn't be on the DS because realism doesn't go well with the DS, Eiji Aonuma said it himself. I think the next Zelda (Wii) should do something that isn't a TP sequel, but then afterwards make a TP sequel. Yeahhh. I want a TP sequel, but I understand that the Wii (And the Zelda series) needs, yet another fresh start. And I'd rather wait for a good console sequel over a bad DS one.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Happy Mask Salesman Happy Mask Salesman is a male Happy Mask Salesman is offline
You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Castle Market Town
View Posts: 676
Re: Twilight Princess sequel for DS?

I'm one of those people who thinks TP should be left as is. A sequel could be a good idea if done right but why not just start fresh? Plus if they did make a TP sequel it would only be right that they make it for the wii.
__________________
Majora's Mask>Every other Zelda
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Alter Alter is a male United States Alter is offline
Altering Your Views
Send a message via Skype™ to Alter
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Point Blank. On Your Six.
View Posts: 282
Re: Twilight Princess sequel for DS?

Those of us who dabble in homebrew (not that I do, of course if I did, I would say I don't. ) have seen how realistic Zelda could be on the DS. I think a TP2 for the DS is a fantastic idea. I never was a huge fan a TP myself, but perhaps this could make it so much better... It would be very doable.
__________________
Zelda in my Pocket
-It's a mini adventure.



Looking for a staff position? Zelda in my Pocket currently has several openings! Click here for information!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Alter Alter is a male United States Alter is offline
Altering Your Views
Send a message via Skype™ to Alter
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Point Blank. On Your Six.
View Posts: 282
Re: Twilight Princess sequel for DS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Mask View Post
I'm one of those people who thinks TP should be left as is. A sequel could be a good idea if done right but why not just start fresh? Plus if they did make a TP sequel it would only be right that they make it for the wii.
I disagree. I don't see what more they could do with a Wii TP story. Big consoles are supposed to be dramatic stories. I think they burned out Tp. If Vatii came into play, however, then a Wii TP sequel might be nice. For now, though, I that TP2 would be better off on a smaller scale system.
__________________
Zelda in my Pocket
-It's a mini adventure.



Looking for a staff position? Zelda in my Pocket currently has several openings! Click here for information!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Wrath of Pong Wrath of Pong is a male United States Wrath of Pong is offline
If anyone needs me I'll be in the angry dome
Send a message via Skype™ to Wrath of Pong
Steam ID: Wrath of Pong *Note: if friending me, tell me you are from ZU; otherwise I ignore random requests
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
View Posts: 4,337
Re: Twilight Princess sequel for DS?

One problem, the DS could barely handle cel shaded grafics, it defintly can't do anything realistic. The Wii should have the TP sequal, the DS should have either a third WW or an entirly new game. Maybe the next generation of handhelds could do better, but till then it wouldn't work.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Happy Mask Salesman Happy Mask Salesman is a male Happy Mask Salesman is offline
You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Castle Market Town
View Posts: 676
Re: Twilight Princess sequel for DS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter View Post
I disagree. I don't see what more they could do with a Wii TP story. Big consoles are supposed to be dramatic stories. I think they burned out Tp. If Vatii came into play, however, then a Wii TP sequel might be nice. For now, though, I that TP2 would be better off on a smaller scale system.
Really TP should be left as is. I personally dont think they should do a sequel at all, but if they did it should be on the Wii. For one the handheld couldn't support TP type of graphics. The graphics would also be updated from TP as well so it would be more reasonable to make it a counsole game. Plus you also have to remember, if they were going to do a sequel to TP it would have its own story without any connection to TP. Much like MM is to OoT.

I think alot of people would be dissapointed if they got all hyped, to only find out that the next LoZ is going to be a TP remake for handheld
__________________
Majora's Mask>Every other Zelda
Last Edited by Happy Mask Salesman; 02-08-2009 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2009, 01:06 AM
Lurker Lurker is a male United States Lurker is offline
Laying Malon
Send a message via Yahoo to Lurker
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 'Merica
View Posts: 497
Re: Twilight Princess sequel for DS?

I agree with Happy Mask, TP should be left as is. But I am also interested to see how a DS Zelda could turn out with the artistic style of TP.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2009, 02:47 AM
Kankki Kankki is a male Finland Kankki is offline
Creepy Iwamoto is creepy.
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Finland
View Posts: 584
Re: Twilight Princess sequel for DS?

Maybe the DS2 will get a Twilight Princess sequel. The GBA was active when they made WW and the DS is active now with Twilight Princess.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2009, 03:27 AM
\Archer/ \Archer/ is a male Australia \Archer/ is offline
~Embracing Insanity~
Join Date: Apr 2006
View Posts: 88
Re: Twilight Princess sequel for DS?

It does seem difficult to account for the complexity of TP without creating a messy game. Another 3D Zelda, however, seems like a good idea. It irritate me that Nintendo spent a long time creating a 3D engine for PH, only to force the game to appear 2D. Camera hacks and Boss fight proved that it could play like the 3D games, although the main game remained limited.

I think that a more expansive 3D game in the style of TP, Oot, WW would be a worthy addition to the series, so we don't have another game with variations on the same gimmick all of the way through.
__________________
I'm back after a few years.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2009, 05:03 AM
NJNN NJNN is offline
Monkeys live inside the Sun. Fact.
Join Date: Feb 2008
View Posts: 663
Re: Twilight Princess sequel for DS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldablue777 View Post
Unless TP2 is 2D it shouldn't be on the DS because realism doesn't go well with the DS, Eiji Aonuma said it himself. I think the next Zelda (Wii) should do something that isn't a TP sequel, but then afterwards make a TP sequel. Yeahhh. I want a TP sequel, but I understand that the Wii (And the Zelda series) needs, yet another fresh start. And I'd rather wait for a good console sequel over a bad DS one.
And why would a portable one be bad? You have no idea how it would turn out. Nintendo have had the DS on the market for, what, 4 years? No doubt they'll manage to make the most out of their limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter View Post
Those of us who dabble in homebrew (not that I do, of course if I did, I would say I don't. ) have seen how realistic Zelda could be on the DS. I think a TP2 for the DS is a fantastic idea. I never was a huge fan a TP myself, but perhaps this could make it so much better... It would be very doable.
That's more like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheikahSage View Post
One problem, the DS could barely handle cel shaded grafics, it defintly can't do anything realistic. The Wii should have the TP sequal, the DS should have either a third WW or an entirly new game. Maybe the next generation of handhelds could do better, but till then it wouldn't work.
Couldn't handle realistic you say? Hmm. This video was an experiment to see how the likes of Mario Galaxy would fare with DS limitations. It certainly doesn't look bad to me, and if they can make SMG work, they could do it for TP2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by \Archer/ View Post
It does seem difficult to account for the complexity of TP without creating a messy game. Another 3D Zelda, however, seems like a good idea. It irritate me that Nintendo spent a long time creating a 3D engine for PH, only to force the game to appear 2D. Camera hacks and Boss fight proved that it could play like the 3D games, although the main game remained limited.

I think that a more expansive 3D game in the style of TP, Oot, WW would be a worthy addition to the series, so we don't have another game with variations on the same gimmick all of the way through.
Yeah, constant birds-eye view in PH was somewhat annoying. However, for a new game running on the same engine, they could instead use the kind of camera angles seen in boss fights and allocate the L and R buttons to targetting (you know, Z-targetting, L-targetting, whatever you wanna call it).
Last Edited by NJNN; 02-08-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2009, 05:04 AM
Vulpine Vulpine is a male Syria Vulpine is offline
__________
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ZU
View Posts: 1,814
Re: Twilight Princess sequel for DS?

The DS's graphics are really bad, theyre the same as the N64 graphics. I think they should just make a new game for DS, like Four Swords but the same as Phantom Hourglass's style. They were making one but then they changed the project to Phantom Hourglass.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2009, 09:05 AM
EternaLegend Sweden EternaLegend is offline
Busy bee
Steam ID: EternaLegendEL

Join Date: Jan 2008
View Posts: 17,557
Re: Twilight Princess sequel for DS?

I don't think the realistic look of TP will look great on the DS. The graphics of games on the DA are so limited. The WW art style was best to use, because it didn't have so much thread to thread detail on Link's clothes. It was basically cartoony altogether.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Zeldablue777 Zeldablue777 is a female United States Zeldablue777 is offline
Light Spirit
Join Date: Jul 2008
View Posts: 6,851
Re: Twilight Princess sequel for DS?

TP's sequel would look bad on DS because it would have that mushy look to it, PH worked out because celshading and the DS goes hand and hand. Sooo, unless TP2 is in 2D, it would be bad...it's the same reason why OoT isn't on the DS, realistic graphics look like crap. xD

And on TP's defense, most direct sequels are very different from their originals. So people saying a sequel would be too much of the same stuff, aren't thinking the same way Nintendo does. LoZ-AoL, ALttP-LA, OoT-MM, TWW-PH.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2009, 03:55 PM
GKANG GKANG is a male United Kingdom GKANG is offline
Love yourself.

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: J/RPG, GG.
View Posts: 9,295
Re: Twilight Princess sequel for DS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamenerdAdvance View Post
Explain why.

Wind Waker got a sequel on the DS, some 4 years after the game came out.

Remakes on the other hand, are something that should never be touched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheikahSage View Post
One problem, the DS could barely handle cel shaded graphics, it definitely can't do anything realistic. The Wii should have the TP sequel, the DS should have either a third WW or an entirely new game. Maybe the next generation of handhelds could do better, but till then it wouldn't work.
__________________
| General Gaming: POST. | XBL: SUPERMU7ANT |
ファイナルファンタジーVIII |

Last Edited by GKANG; 02-08-2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Wrath of Pong Wrath of Pong is a male United States Wrath of Pong is offline
If anyone needs me I'll be in the angry dome
Send a message via Skype™ to Wrath of Pong
Steam ID: Wrath of Pong *Note: if friending me, tell me you are from ZU; otherwise I ignore random requests
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
View Posts: 4,337
Re: Twilight Princess sequel for DS?

Quote:
Couldn't handle realistic you say? Hmm. This video was an experiment to see how the likes of Mario Galaxy would fare with DS limitations. It certainly doesn't look bad to me, and if they can make SMG work, they could do it for TP2.
The link you posted is broken, it says something about the vid being "malformed", whatever that means. Regardless, even if the DS could handle advanced textures and such, I don't really want TP2 to be on the DS anyway. It should be on the wii. What if instead of making Majoras Mask on N64, they made it on GBC? That would have pissed off everyone. The DS should get a new game entirely. As to a TP remake, it is really stupid to remake a game that came out 3 years ago. In 2012 or so I may be interested, but not now.
__________________
Last Edited by Wrath of Pong; 02-08-2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sequel, twilight princess


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -