Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Doran_Bladefist Doran_Bladefist is a male United States Doran_Bladefist is offline
Enrolled @ Bovine University
Send a message via Yahoo to Doran_Bladefist

View Posts: 2,293
Wink Future Zelda - Literally?

I had a thought, abstract and distant as it may be, but what if the game were set in a future time frame? Yes, I too love the fantasy style, but what if it became more of a sci-fi? Mario went to space, why can't Link?

My only fear is that it would turn into a James Bond type game, but it would be a completely different entry into the series. Also, I suppose that adding technology reduces the value of surrealism. It's too easy to believe in technology; circuitry and explosives. Magic, on the other hand, is truly ethereal and fantastic. That and fighting machines isn't half as fun as fighting ReDeads, though space zombies would rule!

There could be entire planets, instead of dungeons across the way, but that could be really hard to produce. Mass Effect did well, but it did come off as somewhat cookie-cutter.

The Dune series feels kind of Zelda-ish to me, perhaps in that direction? Though I wouldn't want to see any plagiarism on Mr. Miyamoto's part.

I dunno, maybe Star Wars has ruined science fiction forever and nothing can touch it without borrowing some. I don't think I could ever see Link in a cantina asking for a Ruby Bliels.

But what if it wasn't Link? Why not make Link the Prince, and Zelda the hero? Put Zelda in the Samus suit. That'd be aweseome, but at the same time it just wouldn't be LoZ.

Anyhoo, that's my two bits. Anything else I come up with will probably more than likely be in the Fanfic.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Link is hanging from my pamp qwitch!

View Posts: 13,410
Re: Future Zelda - Literally?

I've always found it interesting to observe the technology in Zelda games, like in TP, the big cannons and the city in the sky... minish cap has the little phonograph thingy, and there's been other types of machines and stuff throughout the series (can't remember exactly)

plus, MM had aliens.. clearly there have been some things in past games that could lead to a nifty "future" zelda, but I wouldn't want to see too much lazers and ships and crap.. I think they could find a creative way to do a futuistic zelda without going cliche' with it.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 05:00 PM
[insert clever custom title]
View Posts: 4,460

What is it with people wanting a Zelda game in a scifi setting or a 21st century setting?

It would be a horrible idea on Nintendo's part, it would no longer be a Zelda game. If Nintendo wanted to do soemthing like this they would be better off if they just made a new game all together.

its a terrible idea for a Zelda game. If you want to play a scifi like game, go get one. Zelda is a fantasy game set in a more medieval type setting.

Amazing Signature and Avatar by Viral Maze. Thanks!
My Fanfiction
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Doran_Bladefist Doran_Bladefist is a male United States Doran_Bladefist is offline

I don't want a jet force gemini with the zelda label either, it's just an interesting thought. Maybe something along the Chrono Trigger lines. It's in the future, yes, but the tech isn't the main part of the story. It's more about the characters and the story. Maybe it's not really a future, perhaps it's more of an alternate reality where they are advanced more than the Hylians? I dunno, I like to make stuff up
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm Caillou.
View Posts: 2,280

Nah I like it set back in the old times, it would be weird in the future.

Thanks to the fantastic Liah for the amazing sig and avatar!!!
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Monkeys live inside the Sun. Fact.
View Posts: 663

Hey, and whilst we're at it, why not have a medieval Halo or a Prehistoric Metroid?
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Banned User
Send a message via Skype™ to Ŧҽҽᶄɑƴ
View Posts: 20,843

This thread already exists. Its called the Futuristic Zelda Thread

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/...da-thread.html
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 05:46 PM

Why not? Expanded horizons are something I enjoy. Maybe they could do something a little more victorian in influence? Add a plot device such as lightning, which in turn ties with electricity and steamworks; frankensteinish monsters? Could Dark Link be a vampire? Anything is possible in the realm of fantasy, that's what makes it so pliable.

Out of jeeze, I dunno, 15+ games there has only been one (guess) that I didn't enjoy so I trust whatever the big N decides to do. I just like to explore possibilities.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doran_Bladefist View Post
...though space zombies would rule!
Why not make Link the Prince, and Zelda the hero? Put Zelda in the Samus suit.
Did you really just say that?
Put...Zelda....in a.....Chozo suit.....

Space Zombies??...??....?

No. IMO, just no
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 05:54 PM

Ah, the madness of wild speculation
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Ah, the madness of wild speculation
I think you compared Zelda to a few too many other things....
Star Wars...Metroid...Dune...James Bond...Mario...Mass Effect...

I mean, cant we just keep Zelda confined to, well Zelda games?

OR

Perhaps the next Zelda game would be about Phazon. Bowser could become corrupted by Phazon, becoming Dark Bowser. He could then take over Pop Star, and use Kirby as his second in command.

Link and Zelda would have to find the remaining Chozo, and use their technology to find the source of this new phazon. They discover Sonic's homeworld was hit by a Leviathan, and Chaos became extremely powerful as a result. So Link beats Chaos, returning Sonic's world to normal, then goes to find Bowser and Kirby.

Link finds Bowser hiding with the Goa'uld, and ends up having to destroy the Goa'uld Anubis to get to Bowser. Finally, Link fights Bowser, thus restoring the Pegasus Galaxy to normal.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 06:03 PM

and then Shrek becomes the lord of the ring. That would be the most commercialized thing since smash brothers

And wait, didn't they do that on Newgrounds?

Yes - Super Mario Bros Z
Last Edited by Gianlorenzo; 02-29-2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Merged; please don't double post
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Banned User

Do you get my point?

Dont combine different series with Zelda.
It would be stupid, first of all.
And second, it just wouldn't work

Nintendo would have to be high on drugs to do what you're saying
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 06:12 PM

Yes I understand your train of thought, but my original notion wasn't to combine series into a bloated automaton of licences. I'm just trying to wrap my mind around how to do things in a different way in a different setting.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Yes I understand your train of thought, but my original notion wasn't to combine series into a bloated automaton of licences. I'm just trying to wrap my mind around how to do things in a different way in a different setting.
Yes, but you can to that without having to think of other franchises first.
I just dont like it when people go, "well, super mario did THIS, so why cant Zelda"
Or
"Metroid always changes the setting, so why cant Zelda?"
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 06:16 PM

True, yet very difficult and requires much. That's the difficulty of writing nowadays - the market is so oversaturated with ideas it's near impossible to come up with anything original. Me personally, the best ideas come not while in the universe you wish to build, but while exploring others. Not as in idea stealing, but as in it opens your mind to other possibilities. I dunno, my brain works wierd.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Twili
View Posts: 404

Someone else with a similar Idea

I wouldn't mind it....
But yeah...
As things become more futuristic, People can be killed easier at further distances, Faster speeds and So on...

It may not be a bad thing though...
Consider this;
In the future, Everyone is afraid to get a Bionic Suit made by a company called Triforce (due to everyone elses religious Beliefs)
-Link is the only braveone and has his entire Body replaced by a machine

His hands is in essence are Megaman Guns with the ability to morph into many different things including; Hookshot, Sheild, Rod, Grenade/Bomb, Spinners (boomerangs that can bounce off walls and still return to you) and a Gun

Your weapons can become imbued by Powers such as heat (makes the weapon deal more damage) or Electricity (The weapon hits everything in the vicinity)

Also as time goes by he obtains more interesting weapons
-Portal Gun (Nayru's Love)

And so on...
It could work out...
But you should know that the enemies would probably all have to use guns...
Making it very much a shooter... Except the sheild makes it easy for you to assault a group of enemies in a single location...
-So maybe it would be rather Zelda-esque...
It could be interesting....
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula1 View Post
Someone else with a similar Idea

I wouldn't mind it....
But yeah...
As things become more futuristic, People can be killed easier at further distances, Faster speeds and So on...

It may not be a bad thing though...
Consider this;
In the future, Everyone is afraid to get a Bionic Suit made by a company called Triforce (due to everyone elses religious Beliefs)
-Link is the only braveone and has his entire Body replaced by a machine

His hands is in essence are Megaman Guns with the ability to morph into many different things including; Hookshot, Sheild, Rod, Grenade/Bomb, Spinners (boomerangs that can bounce off walls and still return to you) and a Gun

Your weapons can become imbued by Powers such as heat (makes the weapon deal more damage) or Electricity (The weapon hits everything in the vicinity)

Also as time goes by he obtains more interesting weapons
-Portal Gun (Nayru's Love)

And so on...
It could work out...
But you should know that the enemies would probably all have to use guns...
Making it very much a shooter... Except the sheild makes it easy for you to assault a group of enemies in a single location...
-So maybe it would be rather Zelda-esque...
It could be interesting....
*sigh*

Why so much technology?
It sounds nothing like a Zelda game to me. It just seems to take away from the "core essence of Zelda"
Last Edited by Ŧҽҽᶄɑƴ; 02-29-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason:
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 06:22 PM

I like the thoughts on equipment, though I shy away from making it more of a shooter. Some form of melee as the main basis for attack would be more fitting for a Zelda game. Or perhaps the energy requirements for projectiles are high, like an arrow count. A portal gun could be crazy though, especially in a dungeon-like setting
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Twili
View Posts: 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by God of Twilight View Post
*sigh*
Did I write too much?

Quote:
I like the thoughts on equipment, though I shy away from making it more of a shooter. Some form of melee as the main basis for attack would be more fitting for a Zelda game. Or perhaps the energy requirements for projectiles are high, like an arrow count. A portal gun could be crazy though, especially in a dungeon-like setting
Portal gun would be Very crazy... and perhaps a good addition to the tools Link uses to solve puzzles... (though a hookshot could replace most of its uses)

Good call on the energy requirements...
-Melees could potentially Use no energy since... technically.... No energy is being lost... Even though... it kinda is....

I was thinking for projectiles
-Laser Gun-Obvious... shoots light
-Electricity Gun-Shotgun effect... only it homes... Not as powerful as the Laser... For times when lots of enemies are in front of you

I also Had the idea of a sound gun...
-But sound Isn't very Zelda-y
Last Edited by formula1; 02-29-2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason:
Closed Thread

Tags
future, literally, zelda