Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Goron
View Posts: 233
Hero of...?

In most games, Link acquires the ability to manipulate some sort of element oraspect of the world in which he is put, giving him the title of hero of time, of seasons, of ages. He always had that 'special' item. What do you think the new zelda games will bestow upon out hero?

I was thinking that maybe Link could transform in to animals to reach certain places or activate certain quests. He'd have to do some thing to gain each transformation of course.

Maybe Link could deal with souls. He have some Item that drew his soul into the realm of the dead to find information, complete dungeons and side quest, and even cheat death itself. The game would end when Link died, he'd just go into Death and would have to find his way out. And aspect of a dark Link could form, Maybe it would be in the Death world, and the dark power of Link's item would cause it to make brief appearances in the Light world?

Any other ideas?
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve.
View Posts: 6,435
Re: Hero of...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuudeman View Post
I was thinking that maybe Link could transform in to animals to reach certain places or activate certain quests. He'd have to do some thing to gain each transformation of course.
seems too much like majora's mask to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuudeman
Maybe Link could deal with souls. He have some Item that drew his soul into the realm of the dead to find information, complete dungeons and side quest, and even cheat death itself. The game would end when Link died, he'd just go into Death and would have to find his way out. And aspect of a dark Link could form, Maybe it would be in the Death world, and the dark power of Link's item would cause it to make brief appearances in the Light world?
hmmm. I don't know. seems a bit dark for a Zelda game to me.

I would definitely like to see some sort of element manipulation, but nothing comes to mind at the moment. I'll post later if I get any ideas in specific

Voted Best Zelda Theorist Summer 2008, Winter 2008, and Summer 2009
Voted Most Knowledgeable of Zelda Winter 2008.
Voted Most Dedicated Theorist Summer 2009

ZeldaInformer | Forums | Bombers Notebook | The Bombers | Resources
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Goron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimgard View Post
seems too much like majora's mask to me

hmmm. I don't know. seems a bit dark for a Zelda game to me.

I would definitely like to see some sort of element manipulation, but nothing comes to mind at the moment. I'll post later if I get any ideas in specific
I agree about the MM thing, u rite.

But Ithink that nintendo could do the death thing in a way that would keep things pg, plus I kinda support a more mature Zelda anyway.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Spirit of Seasons
View Posts: 1,693

I'm kinda wondering if Nintendo is leaving the whole 'hero of..." idea behind.

It wasn't used in Twilight Princess that I believe, so maybe they're actually trying to make things different.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Gone
View Posts: 730

The power to control other creatures? Maybe, he could like possess an Octorok which could hit an off-reach switch (that is, earlier in the game then). And so on...
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Lord of all Dragonkind
View Posts: 165

All I think is necessary is a game taking place right after MM where Link is now 16 (again) and forms a group and it could be a sort of RPG style. But who would be in his adventuring party...

Finally! I own the Zelda Collectors Edition! WOOOOOOO!!!

Fear the wrath of my dragons
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-08-2008, 07:35 PM
æ -x.
View Posts: 17,736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconic View Post
All I think is necessary is a game taking place right after MM where Link is now 16 (again) and forms a group and it could be a sort of RPG style. But who would be in his adventuring party...
^ Sounds like quite a good idea, but I'm not sure if it will change the feeling of Zelda altogether.

I would say that some people that he would meet in his adventures would join him. Like people of all races and ages who are trying to find purpose in their life, much like the party of people that you make in Fire Emblem.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-09-2008, 05:49 AM
Gone

A Fire Emblem-style?

Then, maybe a *spinoff* with the Pokémon-style.

Wild OCTOROK appeared!
LINK equipped the Hero's Bow!
LINK used Fire Arrow!
But it was not very effective... (water-living Octorok)
OCTOROK used Rock Spit!
Critical Hit!
LINK used Light Arrow!
One-hit KO!
Wild OCTOROK fainted.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Goron

AHHH! NOOO! They tried an RPGish game in AOL, and that wasn't such a success, why would they take an awesome game like zelda and RUIN it by making it like pokemon??? I love pokemon, but making zelda like that WOULD ruin it!
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 05:43 AM
Gone

Quote:
AHHH! NOOO! They tried an RPGish game in AOL, and that wasn't such a success, why would they take an awesome game like zelda and RUIN it by making it like pokemon??? I love pokemon, but making zelda like that WOULD ruin it!
1 spinoff. Not the complete series. Ruined?
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 10:15 AM
xXSacredBeastXx xXSacredBeastXx is a male United States xXSacredBeastXx is offline
The Patriot Snake
View Posts: 663

Quote:
In most games, Link acquires the ability to manipulate some sort of element oraspect of the world in which he is put, giving him the title of hero of time, of seasons, of ages. He always had that 'special' item. What do you think the new zelda games will bestow upon out hero?

Any other ideas?
What are you trying to say is that Link has been the Hero of Time, Hero of Winds, Hero of Light and Dark and Hero of Twilight and Light, right? And you say that he could be the Hero of Souls by turning into animals? NO!

Link has to travel throught something to beome the hero of it. Like TWW, he traveled throught winds and became the Hero of Winds, OoT he traveled in time and became the Hero of Time, in ALttP he traveled throught worlds and he became the Hero of Worlds and in TP he traveled throught Twilight and Light to save Hyrule and he became the Hero of Light & Twilight. So how can he travel in souls and save Hyrue?

"Bullets don't win wars. Soldiers do." Advance Wars Days of Ruin
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Goron

U misunderstood me. 1stly, thts a pretty random prerequisite, but i digress... It was an Either or, Animals OR Death. So I it must be that way that you said, Link travels THROUGH his life and the lives of the people of Hyrule in to death, and Link travels THROugH different species of animals.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Fringant Épéiste Fringant Épéiste is a male United States Fringant Épéiste is offline
View Posts: 7,662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
I'm kinda wondering if Nintendo is leaving the whole 'hero of..." idea behind.

It wasn't used in Twilight Princess that I believe, so maybe they're actually trying to make things different.
hero of twilight
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Anouki
View Posts: 39

...I like this discussion, skewed as it's been. I really believe that the developers of each new Zelda game relative to the main series of games ask themselves this while coming up with new ideas for game dynamics. It's a pretty necessary thing to ask, even though this "title" may never show up or be spoken in the games.

There are plenty of ways to go with this, naturally. The Hero of Souls concept is actually not a new idea; it's been an idea circulating around the fan-base for a while now. That is, the idea that Link can "DIE" and "REVIVE" himself frequently, traveling back and forth between life and the afterlife, able to use his soul to see the dead, pass through walls, possess people, etc. It takes cues from other games (SECOND SIGHT, off the top of my head), but it's still an interesting alternative. Nintendo handles death in the Zelda games rather coyly, so I don't think there's any real danger in making a game like this; it might even explain something about the multiple Links in the games, how their reincarnated spirits are passed down...

...anyway. My only contribution thus far would be that, at least for one game, the "Hero of...Whatever" title lean toward something that was a little more abstract, not necessarily having to do with the gaming mechanics. Something CEREBRAL. I mean, sure, the game itself could have a unique gaming mechanic/gimmick going for it, but what if Link took up a title that wasn't directly pertaining to what he could DO through that power/ability...but rather, what he ends up DOING on a deeper, emotional or symbolic level? I don't know how "deep" Nintendo is willing to go with the Zelda series (the most provocative one to me seemed to be MM, since it was crammed full of death subtexts), but that's always an option. Make the gamer THINK about that name, APPRECIATE that name.

The same ol' route is fine too. Hero of the Beasts. Hero of Souls. Hero of...uh...Low Low Prices... Nintendo needs only to think on it.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Goron

can you give an example of abstractedness? It's what the thread's for!

Another Idea: Hero of the Races. A game during the Uniting War. Link hasta unite all of the races under one banner, despite their lust 4 the triforce.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 07:29 PM
View Posts: 276

Hero of the Four Elements.

Link has to learn to control Fire, Water, Earth, and Wind before summer; when the Din's Comet will give the leader of the Dark Nation, the Dark Lord Ganondorf, more power.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Goron

Avatar anyone? but element idea is solid.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Anouki
View Posts: 39

Quote:
Hero of the Four Elements.

Link has to learn to control Fire, Water, Earth, and Wind before summer; when the Din's Comet will give the leader of the Dark Nation, the Dark Lord Ganondorf, more power.
I laughed until I cried.

A game during the Uniting War would be interesting - it would give Nintendo an excuse to use MM's race-changing element again, maybe - but it would be a tad difficult to do chronologically, since the Link in OOT is supposed to be the first Link EVER...so...hmm.

Anyone got any other ideas? You know...ones Nintendo would actually USE?
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Knight of Paladin
View Posts: 204

What about the hero of war, where link is involved in massive battles (more like when first entering arbiters grounds in TP) and saves the day, that would be sweet.

or the hero of skies, where A ) Link is given flight abilities, or B ) Link issues the help of the constellations on his quest.

I am actually hoping that there will be a Majora's Mask sequel set in Continua (lol, small joke) still using the masks.
I <3 masks
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 97

Something that just came to mind a bit rediculous but: How about Link being Hero of the Triforce?, In order to defeat the new threat Link must find all three Triforce pieces abd use them to defeat the new threat.

Also just so some of you know in Twilight Princess he wasn't the hero of Twilight he was The Hero Chosen by the Gods.

Tags
hero