Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 01:44 AM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 21
Eiji Aonuma... his words. [*Spoiler* for people who havent finished windwaker]

"Twilight Princess will be, without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form.
[For those of you who dont know Eiji Aonuma he is the director of TP]
Those wrere the words of Eiji Aonuma so....... I just thought of something the windwaker ending. Did they make windwaker end like it did to give a end to zelda and venture into a MMORPG or a RTS without people asking how did it end?
Hyrule being traped under water and Ganon sealed for ever seems to be a end to Zelda.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 02:04 AM
Classic Old School Action
Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzie
View Posts: 9,468
Re: Eiji Aonuma... his words. [*Spoiler* for people who havent finished windwaker]

...Present form being the three button item usage, aka the Ocarina of Time gameplay method. Zelda will (hopefully) NEVER be a MMORPG... That is video game franchise suicide on Zelda's part, because people don't want Zelda to be a MMORPG. They want it to remain the Zelda we know and love.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 03:07 AM
Hylian Knight
View Posts: 660
Re: Eiji Aonuma... his words. [*Spoiler* for people who havent finished windwaker]

Yeah, Lozzie's right. When Aonuma menat that, he meant control methods. I'm thinking something along the lines of less clutter, more simplistic approach. Don't ask me what that will be, because while i could make something up that could work, it would purely be an example, but I think simplicity of control and complete physical control of every action link makes will be the two things to be highlighted.

And lozzie, a Zelda MMO would be bad, i agree, but what about a game, with Zelda nowhere in the title, set in hyrule. I belive an MMO set in hyrule would work,as long it had nothing to do with link, zelda or ganon apart from them being mentioned in passing, and didnt go overboard with what was being packed in. An MMO set during the imprisoning war, allowing palyers to explore hyrule, learn more abou it, help to figure out timeline continuity issues and allow them to partake in the epic war (from either side) would be magical. But like i said, it would need to be made very clear that it was not a zelda game, merely a large online RPG set in its universe, using its assets.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 05:21 AM
Goron
View Posts: 144

Lozzie, with all due respect you can't just simply say that people don't want a Zelda MMORPG, personally i would love it. while i can easily see where you are coming from, a Zelda MMORPG that doesn't take away the key elements that makes Zelda what it is would be awesome. Things such as levels, upgrading gear etc are key features to MMORPG's but features i feel would be unnecessary in a Zelda MMORPG, it needs to be a game that feels like you are playing a console game only with more people, the same puzzles, elements and interaction with the world but with people grouping together to fight bigger threats.
If a Zelda MMORPG were to be created it would have to be set in a time not necessarily when Link and Ganon are not present but where the races of Hyrule are preparing to wage war on each other under the banners of their respective leaders.
I can easily see it happening, The big N is looking for new, and innovative ways to cash in and they have obviously seen the success and popularity of the MMORPG market, a zelda~esque MMORPG could potentially do very well.
Is it just me or are the races of Zelda becoming more and more distinguished? The Lizardfos are now presented with a more ancient Aztecy feel and the bokoblins are even further evolved from their WW counterparts, my question is, is there a reason the races are now been presented with their own background and themes or am i just on crack?
If Zelda is heading down the MMORPG line they have certainly already begun, races as individuals rather then one massive blob that fights for good and evil, the setting is perfect also.

In conclusion i wouldn't be suprised (and am actually hoping) that Zelda will one day become and MMORPG and if it ever does happen these are the races i predict we will see..

Forces of Good
Hyrulian
Goron
Zora
Deku/Gerudo?

Forces of Evil
Moblin
Bokoblin
Lizardfos
Stalfos

Formerly known as Leprechaun
Thanks to Pyroth for my awesome sig and avy!
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 06:10 AM
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
View Posts: 1,272

If anything changes at all (I hope it doesn't though)... The best thing they could do would be to make it a First Person game so it's sort of like The Elder Scrolls series.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 06:40 AM
Mixed feelings of elation
Send a message via AIM to Sentient
View Posts: 2,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by username180
If anything changes at all (I hope it doesn't though)... The best thing they could do would be to make it a First Person game so it's sort of like The Elder Scrolls series.
ELDER SCROLLS? *spits in absolute disgust* I've seen my friend play that, and I noticed that some of the enemies are taken from Zelda. For example: in the latest Elder Scrolls game, Oblivion, there are ghost like enemies called Wraiths. They can appear and disappear, have high pitched screams and can throw magic balls, fire and ice at you. And some can take away some stuff from you. Sound familiar? They should do, because they are practically a crap copy of Wizrobes from Zelda. Wizrobes can appear and disappear, have high pitched screams and can throw magic balls, fire and ice at you, and they can also take Rupees from you in FSA. Wizrobes were made first, so it was obviously Microsoft looking at the immense popularity of Zelda and taking some of the enemies to attempt to make one of their games good. Didn't work. I smell a lawsuit *laughs at Microsoft in their feeble attempts to copy Zelda*!

Also, what is a MMORPG? I know what the RPG bit stands for, but not the rest.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Crossing off the List
View Posts: 1,039

Oblivion is a top drawer game, and attempting to claim that it has copied most of its content from Zelda is laughable. Almost like saying that because you can use a sword and a shield, it's completely ripped off.

Anyway, the franchise will more than liklely be adapting to the Wii's interface for new gameplay. What this is, and what it could potentially be remains a mystery. I can't even speculate what direction Nintendo will take. It's a shame though, Zelda has accomplished unbelievable renown in it's current 3D form; can Nintendo out do it's own creation?

~ Adhamh.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Divine Dragoon
Steam ID: CodyDaviesTV Wii U ID: DragoonCody

View Posts: 14,965

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldaGamer21
Also, what is a MMORPG? I know what the RPG bit stands for, but not the rest.
MMO means Massively Multiplayer Online

#9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Mixed feelings of elation
Send a message via AIM to Sentient
View Posts: 2,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody
MMO means Massively Multiplayer Online
Cheers for that, Cody. I learn something new everyday .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhamh
Oblivion is a top drawer game, and attempting to claim that it has copied most of its content from Zelda is laughable. Almost like saying that because you can use a sword and a shield, it's completely ripped off.
I said I noticed that SOME of the enemies were copied from Zelda, your just over-exaggerating what I said, then claiming I said that Oblivion copied most of it's content from Zelda. I find it laughable that my post was obviously misread.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 02:50 PM
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 22,045

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldaGamer21
Cheers for that, Cody. I learn something new everyday .

I said I noticed that SOME of the enemies were copied from Zelda, your just over-exaggerating what I said, then claiming I said that Oblivion copied most of it's content from Zelda. I find it laughable that my post was obviously misread.
Nope, the enemies were not copied from Zelda, rather, they are pretty much all mainstays of every fantasy series.

Public Key ID: 057420A1
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Light Spirit

View Posts: 4,726

He said that ages ago didn't he? I think he said that before they annouced at e3 that Twilight Princess is going to use the Wii controller. I believe what he was saying is Twilight Princess will be the last Zelda game played the way we're playing now, with a boring old controller.

But since Twilight Princess is already going to use the Wii-mote, tWW was the last Zelda game to be played in such a fashion.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Hylian Knight
View Posts: 1,063

Oblivion is an amazing game, it didn't copy Zelda at all. I like Zelda more no doubt, but Oblivion copied less from Zelda than Zelda did from Peter Pan or Robin Hood. Also, enemies taking things from you didn't originate in Zelda you know. >_> Just because Zelda is an amazing fantasy adventure game doesn't mean others can't be. Also, Microsoft didn't make Oblivion, they don't make their own games. Bethesday softworks made it. Also, I suggest you play Oblivion before saying it's a Zelda rip off. It's actually quite good. It'd be better than Zelda if it had a better art style, combat system, 3rd person, special Nintendo made feel, etc.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Classic Old School Action
Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzie
View Posts: 9,468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno
Lozzie, with all due respect you can't just simply say that people don't want a Zelda MMORPG, personally i would love it.
Alright, small vote. Who would want a Zelda MMORPG, or just keep it as is?
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 04:10 PM
The incidental artist!
Send a message via AIM to Iroas Send a message via Skype™ to Iroas
View Posts: 3,621

Keep it as it is for God's sake...

I can see al the Link look-a-likes now..
Link101, True_Link, Darkest-Link, Link_Master etc, etc..

No, don't do it...
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Hylian Knight
View Posts: 1,063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzie
A Zelda MMORPG would be fun, but I'd rather it stay the way it is.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Goron
Send a message via AIM to OniLink87
View Posts: 159

Quote:

Keep it the way it is!! The only addition I'd like to see would be something to where you could download extra quest and such to complete after you beat the game. That would be pretty awesome!

"Death is only the beginning"
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 652

Zelda doesn't lend itself well to the MMORPG format. The storyline is about a single quest, a single event in time. The only way it would work well is to incorporate the MMORPG gameplay into a war storyline, like the seal war.

But in my opinion, it's still a bad idea. Like a Metal Gear Solid movie.

My Art Studios: www.klewstudios.com
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Goron
View Posts: 248

Quote:
Zelda MMORPG? Hell no! It would just be too awkward and queer. Don't even count on Link, probably some generic guard or something. I agree, it would be not Zelda, and anyway what would be the plot? Most of MMO nowadays don't have that much of a plot except for who-the-hell-cares-generic-quest-for-some-useless-item-since-you'll-find-something-better-eventually a.k.a. missions or subquests and countless of days wasted away of leveling up. (Just exaggerating, don't mind me =P)

The idea I had was about a RTS game on the Zelda world but not in the Zelda timeline, more like being in one of the wars but that's as far as I would go.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 10:42 PM
T.I.M.E.
View Posts: 3,545

I'm guessing it has to do with the Wii's controls. If you think about it, Zelda games have only advanced graphically since the NES game. Aside from Z-Targeting, gameplay has always been about assigning items to different buttons and slashing things. I'm guessing something more innovative will be implemented in a future Wii title.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Poprocks*
Steam ID: lunchboxzu
View Posts: 16,245

Yeah, Like, you swing the wii controller for a sword. Use the nunchaku device as a bow, Blow in the Wii and press buttons simultaneously to use as a flute or ocarina, use it as a conductor for TWW, if used on the Wii, etc etc. That's is what he meant by beign teh last game to be played like it is.

And, I agree with Harman Stalefish about the MMORPG set in Hyrule, but having nothing to do with Zelda Link, or Ganondorf, so for the poll, I wold have to say: Yes and No

Tags
aonuma, eiji, finished, people, spoiler, windwaker, words