Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Greatest and Most Truly Interesting Pundit the Universe Has Ever Known
Send a message via AIM to Vroomfondel Send a message via Yahoo to Vroomfondel Send a message via Skype™ to Vroomfondel
View Posts: 6,793
Re: Zelda DS Discussion

Hmm... I'm not sure that a "heroine" fits the Zelda style, but that would be an interesting experience. Er... so long as it didn't turn out like The Adventures of Zelda. *cringes* Seriously, though, the big changes will occur in gameplay. Nintendo is moving more toward movement detection in games, giving the player a much more powerful control over the character. Both the DS and Revolution are excellent examples--come to think of it, the first examples. Nevertheless, I appreciate Harman's control scheme; it sounds well thought-out. For some reason, it sounds a little awkward, but it does make almost perfect use of the buttons for both righties and lefties. Either way, I think that Nintendo should take more advantage of the DS's motion sensitivity. Only a few games have made use of the tilt-sensitive ability, WarioWare Twisted being a prime example. Even if it was ridiculously simple, it was quite fun. But I'm starting to get off-topic here. What I'm trying to say is that Zelda DS should take full advantage of all of the DS's capabilities. If you don't use them, what's the point?
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-27-2005, 12:11 PM
Zora Warrior
Send a message via AIM to The Teej
View Posts: 372

Top Screen - 3rd Person View. Looks and acts like regular zelda.
Bottom/Touch Screen - First Person - here's where it gets intresting.

L (or R), - Action Button
D-Up - Change to Sword
D-Left/Down/Right - DS's answer to the C-Buttons.

How the touch screen is utilised. There's a little arrow(or circle, square, w/e) above every person, and when you touch a person's, monster's, object's etc's arrow, you lock on to it, works like the Z/L-Targeting system, but its more free and open, you can touch without having to look around and wait.

On top of that, when you press the d-pad (or XYAB) to use an item, you use the touch screen to control the item. For example, a sword. You slash across the screen once and you do a swipe. If you tap the screen once, let go, and then slash once up across the screen, it'll do a stab forward. You could also double tap the screen to stab forward. In the case of a hookshot, you can double tap, and it'd fire in that direction, OR, you can utilise it like a heavy sword, and you can whack enemies with it by using it the same way as a sword. Boomerangs, you could either double tap to fire foward, or slash across the screen in the direction you want it to.

Now, if you're locked on, you can either double tap the screen, and it'll fire at the locked on target, or you could possibly use it like if you're unlocked (depends on the item).

Start Subscreen

When you press start, the item subscreen will appear on the bottom. It'll act like a regular submenu, except you use the touch screen to select an item, check out dungeon map levels(and possibly even zoom in, and you can use your stylus to look around), flip through the screens, etc etc. When it comes to selecting an item, you'd click on the item, and press D-Left/Right/Down (Or XAB) to assign it to that button. Selecting different tunics would simply be a one click to test, and double click to apply. Same could go for boots, and sheilds. Swords you could either use the one-two click method, or click once and press D-Up (Or Y) to equip, its up to you.

What's this? You've press start and you know a bunch of stalfos are gonna come and own you? Plan ahead while you're paused. Hold L, the sub screen will darken a little, and you can control the camera using the touch screen (the top screens camera will rotate), up would be looking up, down would be looking down, and left/right will move the camera left or right. D-Pad to zoom in or out(D-up/down or Y and B). You could also use D-left/Right/X-A to strafe, too. Releasing L will lighten up the subscreen again and you could use that again.

I rather like this idea, myself. Its a change, yet it'd still feel the same enough not to alienate us, imo.

:: MySpace :: Photobucket :: Digg :: Youtube :: SD6 Novus ::
:: You're always in good company when you're with The Teej ::
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-27-2005, 01:04 PM
Super High School Level Video Game Message Board Poster
Send a message via AIM to Hoopy Frood
Steam ID: powerageshadow
View Posts: 6,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero of destiny
well it could always be a 2d zelda game because theres only really one 3d ds game at the moment.
Eh?

Mario 64, Raman DS, Ridge Racer DS, Asphalt Urban GT, Tak the Great Juju Challenge, Nintendogs...

Let's Play/Game Commentary |Twitter | Gaming Blog

Voted #1 Biggest Video Game Nerd Summer 2014
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Hylian Knight
View Posts: 660

I think 2D is the way to go still, but with the DS' added capabilities, it would look really good, what wihth blur effects and such, like FSA
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-28-2005, 04:51 AM
Hylian Knight

My Post about a DS Zelda

It's lengthy, but I'm proud of my ideas
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-28-2005, 06:06 AM
Sheikah
View Posts: 514

Maybe you can use the microphone to talk as link? Like, if your asked a yes or no question you can say it instead of selecting the word.

Kaze-one made this for me. Isn't it great?
Member of the Nayru clan of Wisdom.
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-28-2005, 08:19 AM
Hylian Knight

Despite it being a good idea, I still don't think I would enjoy having to talk into the DS. If I want to play silently with headphones in my ears, Having to speak kind of defeats the purpose for me. Especially if speaking a simple yes or no is the most you ahev to do. If speaking was a big feature, it wouldnt be so bad.
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-28-2005, 09:38 AM
Zora Warrior

My Zelda DS Thoughts...

Actually, tbh, I think these two threads should be merged.

#29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-29-2005, 06:28 AM
Hylian Knight
View Posts: 901

Quote:
I can't really think of any other way Zelda DS could be different except for controls, graphical style, 2d/3d, different world or different hero... Nintendo will (probably) surprise up though.
Nintendo has stated that you can touch the items.
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-29-2005, 07:57 AM
Zora Warrior

which would go perfectly with my idea...

#31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Taking potshots since Spring '04
View Posts: 492

My real big hope is that Nintendo dosen't crap out and just churn out a pretty 2D game (although I suspect that's the way the wind is blowing for handheld Zeldas). They could easily make a MM-quality adventure with the DS technology.
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-29-2005, 06:22 PM
Am I the only person ____?
View Posts: 10,602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalian
My Zelda DS Thoughts...

Actually, tbh, I think these two threads should be merged.
That's not a bad idea. There isn't much to talk about regarding Zelda DS, and if TSA is to be believed (and I think he is pretty reliable) there won't be much new material until 2006. So one thread for Zelda DS should suffice for now.

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Zora Warrior

Considering Zelda DS might not be released until early 2007, an TP is right around the corner (if it really is being released in april), I think its common sense to push the closest Zelda.

#34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-05-2005, 07:12 PM
trinest.com
Steam ID: trinest
View Posts: 2,453
Touch Zelda?

EGM trying to seggest this:

Eiji Aonuma (Nintendo) : 'What I can tell you is that it's going to use the touch screen for a very unique control system that people have never experienced in a Zelda game before. I think one of the important elements of the Zelda series has always been that you feel like you're in the world doing the things that Link is doing and touching the things that Link is touching. This time you'll be able to use the touch screen and actually touch those items and objects yourself.'
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-05-2005, 07:35 PM
Self-kicking Bastard
View Posts: 357

Ooooh, can any one say target practice on the touchscreen? This is gonna be cool....no wait... this is going to be kewel to the eXtReMeLy MaXiMuM tUbUlERoSiTy!!!11!11! Wow!!!

This is a list of things you can do:

1. Aim arrows / any other arrow type thing (hookshot)
2. Throw bombs
3. Easily chose items from the item screen/shop
4. Mario DS style running
5. Huh...I ran out of ideas fast, but im sure Nintendo hasnt!

Obviously this is going to be a 3D zelda. So...cool.

And Trinus, judging by your pic im guessing youd like a "Lost in Blue" style Zelda. Im wondering how that would work out?

Im the one in the middle, get it? EVERY OF TEH ONES IS OUT TO GET MEH!!!111oneone11!!!1!11!!!ROFLMAOLOLOLOL!!11!
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Soffie
Send a message via AIM to Sage of Forest
View Posts: 327

Only problem I see, well for me, would having to be able to use the D-pad AND stylus at the same time. Is that possible? I sure can't do that. Unless they give you certain oppurtunity to get out your stylus and use it, or just used a stylus all together.(NO!)

Sexilicious sig made by Leminnes at Silent Graphics
I have 7 awesome friends! PoppaJabun, Dorfganon, Linkmaster92 and Carlitos, Toeknee127, God of Triforce and Imaginary Light is my bestest friend!
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 636

correct me if i'm wrong but can't the stylus be strapped to your thumb?

Inuyasha to Kagome: "take it [clothing] off"

Favourite anime:
Naruto, Bleach, InuYasha, FMA, Love Hina, Eureka 7, Ai yori Aoshi +/- ~enishi~
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Am I the only person ____?
View Posts: 10,602

Trinest, what you posted didn't warrant a new thread. You should have posted it in this thread (I have merged the two threads). One topic is enough. We really don't know anything about Zelda DS yet, and your quote from EA did not reveal anything new.

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-05-2005, 08:48 PM
The Brighter the Postive, the Darker the Negative
Send a message via AIM to LOZelda64
View Posts: 378
Unhappy

TP is gonna be the last Zelda game in a control format as we know it????? WHAT??? O c'mon. You can't change Zelda. That would make the game...well...not cool.
Everyone has a unique destiny, but your fate lies far beyond the reaches of any other mortal. Will it destroy you? Or will it save you? Will it grant you power? Or will it take the world to it's end? But most importantly...

...do you have the courage to accept it?

#40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-05-2005, 08:50 PM
trinest.com
Steam ID: trinest
View Posts: 2,453

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdx75xmx
Ooooh, can any one say target practice on the touchscreen? This is gonna be cool....no wait... this is going to be kewel to the eXtReMeLy MaXiMuM tUbUlERoSiTy!!!11!11! Wow!!!

This is a list of things you can do:

1. Aim arrows / any other arrow type thing (hookshot)
2. Throw bombs
3. Easily chose items from the item screen/shop
4. Mario DS style running
5. Huh...I ran out of ideas fast, but im sure Nintendo hasnt!

Obviously this is going to be a 3D zelda. So...cool.

And Trinus, judging by your pic im guessing youd like a "Lost in Blue" style Zelda. Im wondering how that would work out?
Umm...right...your ideas are plan, I think the game play will be like Deep Laybrinth DS. Oh and my names not Trinus its Trinest ^__^';; And a Lost in Blue stlye Zelda? Umm..no, graphics maybe, but not style. Wait it could work actually....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Forest
Only problem I see, well for me, would having to be able to use the D-pad AND stylus at the same time. Is that possible? I sure can't do that. Unless they give you certain oppurtunity to get out your stylus and use it, or just used a stylus all together.(NO!)
It is possible, use the thumb strap on one hand, and your other hand uses the Buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitric300
correct me if i'm wrong but can't the stylus be strapped to your thumb?
That hard bit of plastic cant even bend, unless you mean the Thumb Strap, not the stylus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek 84
Trinest, what you posted didn't warrant a new thread. You should have posted it in this thread (I have merged the two threads). One topic is enough. We really don't know anything about Zelda DS yet, and your quote from EA did not reveal anything new.
Heehee, sorry.

Tags
discussion, zelda