Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Should Nintendo make a game that has Link and Zelda romantically involved?
Yes 23 36.51%
No 23 36.51%
Undecided/Don't Care 17 26.98%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 PM
The Regginator The Regginator is a male New Zealand The Regginator is offline
Ass-Kicker, Name-Taker
Send a message via Skype™ to The Regginator
Wii U ID: 80espiay
View Posts: 14,038
Re: Should Nintendo make a game with a romantic relationship between Link and Zelda?

I say "no" because Nintendo doesn't understand the meaning of "optional content" outside of minigames and rupees.

See, I'd be fine with it if it weren't forced upon the player (like it was in SS). But it inevitably would be, because we're talking about Nintendo here.

A Fedora || "Rex" || Bored? || PM me to join the Mario Kart 8 Skype group
Quote:
[8:29:31 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: so I ran away cos 40 year old women are not attractive
[8:29:40 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: but it was a dream so I couldnt run
1 person liked this post: Major Liftz
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2012, 08:05 PM
likeicare
Steam ID: EternaLegendEL

View Posts: 17,604
Re: Should Nintendo make a game with a romantic relationship between Link and Zelda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B3LCAUSE View Post
Link with a dude would definitely ruin the game
Sorry, I couldn't help but giggle reading this.

I'm going to have to say no, or actually... I really don't care. But I'm leaning on the "no" part. SS sort of delivered some sort of connection between Link and Zelda.

We don't really need another one, or something that goes a little deeper in terms of "romantic settings."
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Melody of Fantasy Melody of Fantasy is a male Japan Melody of Fantasy is offline
Banned User
Steam ID: I_is_Me3
View Posts: 334

Quote:
Link with a dude would definitely ruin the game
Isn't Ezlo a man?
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Sanctimonious Prick
Steam ID: i don't even remember
View Posts: 1,082

Yes, but Ezlo is totally camp. Maybe not gay, but still camp. Also, is this text annoying? It looks great on the mobile skin, which I always use, but I'm apparently not allowed to do it in the Graphics Design section anympre.
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 PM
likeicare
Steam ID: EternaLegendEL

View Posts: 17,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody of Fantasy View Post
Isn't Ezlo a man?
I don't think they mean it in "that way". Because don't forget that there is also the Kind of Red Lions in the WW. It's not always Link's partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animaćeur View Post
Yes, but Ezlo is totally camp. Maybe not gay, but still camp. Also, is this text annoying? It looks great on the mobile skin, which I always use, but I'm apparently not allowed to do it in the Graphics Design section anympre.
For someone who uses the Temple skin, I say yes.

It's hard to read that orange text against the yellow skin. It's probably not a good idea to use any font colour at all, but just the default, unless you're writing up an article with major headings and pointers.
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Sanctimonious Prick
Steam ID: i don't even remember
View Posts: 1,082

Kay. I'll keep my mangolicious writing to the F&G section.
Last Edited by Animateur; 07-25-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Goron
View Posts: 213

I definitely say no. I do not ship Zelda/Link or any romantic pairing in Zelda really. I really would hate to play a game and be forced to see a ship I don't like constantly.

Ganondorf is the only attractive male in the series.

Also, I'm nice so shoot me a pm.
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2012, 10:28 PM
and Lucas too
View Posts: 711

^
Honestly, I wasn't a fan of ZeLink until I played SS. I thought it was absolutely lovely.

And AA, what's your deal with player choice? If a developer wants to deliver a romance between two characters, and designs a whole story and the characters themselves with this romance in mind, BUT DOESN'T INCLUDE ANOTHER OPTION, it's automatically poor gaming design? Why can't a developer try to deliver a specific experience to players? Artists do it. Authors do it. Film writers do it.
2 people liked this post: FlyingSombrero, R3B3LCAUSE
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Ass-Kicker, Name-Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
And AA, what's your deal with player choice? If a developer wants to deliver a romance between two characters, and designs a whole story and the characters themselves with this romance in mind, BUT DOESN'T INCLUDE ANOTHER OPTION, it's automatically poor gaming design?
If a game developer wants to deliver a scripted experience, then that's their right. I don't have to support it though. Nor do I have to pretend that such a move (intentionally limiting the ability of the player to make interesting/meaningful choices) isn't blatantly anti-gamer.

Quote:
Why can't a developer try to deliver a specific experience to players? Artists do it. Authors do it. Film writers do it.
It's preferable for game developers to not deliver a scripted experience to players, since games are interactive. With interactivity comes the expectation that the player has control over his/her own situation in the game, otherwise the interactivity is largely pointless.

Quote:
[8:29:31 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: so I ran away cos 40 year old women are not attractive
Last Edited by The Regginator; 07-25-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2012, 11:30 PM
The Space Sage
View Posts: 810

I'm with you there, though it could be argued that the game designers set the rules of the game and can therefore do whatever they want with it. It's saddening, though, to see how the feeling of interactivity has faded since game developers decided that what they really want to make is movies. If you want to present a story that the consumer has no say in whatsoever, I suggest you write a book or a screenplay.
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2012, 11:38 PM
zeldafan12z zeldafan12z is a female United States zeldafan12z is offline
-
View Posts: 507

I'm just not so sure how well that would go over. Not only would a lot of fans not like it, but I'm not sure Nintendo would be able to pull it off XD
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Lifter Suprime

View Posts: 752

Zelda is to stereotypical of a character.

Adding ZeLink as a canon pairing would serious make wonder if I should buy the game.

Even the amount in SS was starting to seriously bug me.

[CENTER]
U MIRIN' BRAH?
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-26-2012, 12:15 AM
Moon Cultist
View Posts: 241

To be fair, SS did seem to have some proto-options going on what with the dialogue options and sidequest decisions. Maybe they were tentatively trying something new? I've also heard rumors that OoT was originally intended to have some sort of pseudo-sidequest regarding the women in the games, kind of like Harvest Moon I guess. I honestly think they could pull it off, and they might have a bit of a bee in their bonnet regarding this feature.

I'm not going to push for it, though; I know I'd be really upset if they explicitly paired Link with someone other than Zelda and I wouldn't want anyone else to feel that way if they did do so. And sort of like AA said, it's not that important but I do feel that while a romantic relationship wouldn't affect SOME important aspects like gameplay or overreaching plot, it would affect the feel of the game for better or for worse.

Appointed Official Mini-Mod of ZU by Florina Laufeyson.
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-26-2012, 03:15 AM
FR33D0M F1GHT3R
Steam ID: R3B3LCAUSE
View Posts: 498

Quote:
Zelda is to stereotypical of a character.
And what stereotype is that?

Bow down, console peasants!
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-26-2012, 07:21 AM
Irate. Hostile. Brutal.
Send a message via Skype™ to Advance
Steam ID: owen_smith123
View Posts: 2,057

Anything past what SS does would be straight up p**n. Not that I'd object

You Found The Ocarina Of Time!3DS FC: 2836-0166-5283
3 people liked this post: FlyingSombrero, Major Liftz, Testament
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Lifter Suprime

View Posts: 752

Quote:
And what stereotype is that?
Strong princess of a prosperous kingdom that has an evil man in it, yet gets kidnapped and has to have a knight rescue her.

Either that or she's the girl-next-door.

Both are stereotypical traits for fictional females.

[CENTER]
U MIRIN' BRAH?
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Great White North Great White North is a male Prussia Great White North is offline
We are criminals!
Send a message via Skype™ to Great White North
Steam ID: Septemvile
View Posts: 4,554

Quote:
If a game developer wants to deliver a scripted experience, then that's their right. I don't have to support it though. Nor do I have to pretend that such a move (intentionally limiting the ability of the player to make interesting/meaningful choices) isn't blatantly anti-gamer.
No. Romance is a minor, very minor, element in the Zelda series. Further, the Zelda games themselves aren't lent to making the gamer feel like it's open ended and such. Zelda is presented as a story in which the player gets to immerse themselves in being Link, not in making Link do the things they would have done.

That's not anti-gamer, that's simply what is. No different than every book not being one of those book adventures where the reader picks an option and turns to X page.
"Your Father calls you to His Court. You need not pack; you go garbed in glory where you stand. He waits eagerly by His palace doors to welcome you, and has prepared a place at His high table by His side, in the company of the great-souled, honoured, and best beloved."
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Ass-Kicker, Name-Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great White North View Post
No. Romance is a minor, very minor, element in the Zelda series.
In SS, this implied "romance" was granted its own cutscenes. While I agree that romance doesn't come close to, say, the swordplay in how "major" it is, having more than a couple of minutes of screen time (or, heck, simply being one of the more major things emphasized in cutscenes) brings it out of the realm of "very minor".

Quote:
Further, the Zelda games themselves aren't lent to making the gamer feel like it's open ended and such. Zelda is presented as a story in which the player gets to immerse themselves in being Link, not in making Link do the things they would have done.

That's not anti-gamer, that's simply what is. No different than every book not being one of those book adventures where the reader picks an option and turns to X page.
The Zelda series still markets itself as an adventure. The fact that modern Zelda games "aren't lent to making the gamer feel like it's open-ended" is an issue I'm quick to highlight when I talk about certain games. Regardless, this particular discussion isn't about open-endedness in general, but simply providing the ability to make a particular set of choices.

What reason would a game designer have to not go the extra mile and provide a choice in this particular situation? Perhaps I don't want to see the cheesy cutscenes associated with romance, but still want the plot to still feel consistent/unbroken (the result of skipping cutscenes). I suppose all it would take would be to make it so that talking to certain characters activates/unlocks certain cutscenes. Perhaps responding to characters in the right way could intensify such a relationship between two characters. How could the existence of choice possibly have a negative impact on anyone who plays the game, least of all the players that actually want to see a ZeLink romance (heck, having the ability to intensify the romance would arguably benefit them)?

But why not anyway? The only reason I can think of is that the person who designs these cutscenes/blocks of dialogue wants to force everyone who plays the game to experience these particular things. Being restrained in some ways (mainly gameplay-wise) isn't inherently bad, since some limits need to be placed on the player in order to make the choices they DO make more interesting. But in this particular case, the lack of such a simple set of choices is inherently anti-gamer, as it prioritizes the developer's vision over the gamer's experience.

Quote:
Last Edited by The Regginator; 07-26-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Major Liftz
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-26-2012, 11:04 PM
and Lucas too
View Posts: 711

^
Because the developer wants to tell a story. Interactivity being the key foundation of gaming does not translate to "every game must have an open-ended story and/or structure in which I can choose to do what I want, when I want, at least to a fairly large degree." You can tell a straight, scripted story with straight, scripted characters, and still involve interactivity to create a totally unique and meaningful experience.

Again, I don't think interactivity necessarily translates to player options.

Let me ask, is this an inherent flaw in every type of game design out there?.

Also, as a side note - the whole ZeLink in SS being too forced is almost invalidated by a darling woman named Peatrice. Of course, canonically Link ends up with Zelda at the end and the game does spend more time with ZeLink, and maybe you have beef with that, but there is a whole lot of interaction and dialogue branching and choosing (read: player option) involved with Peatrice. You can easily see your Link as being captivated by Peatrice and that lovely beauty mark of hers.

And then, there's even enough stuff goin' on to constitute a valid shipping between Link and Kina (Lumpy Pumpkin girl). What with talking to her (the things she says), working for her, talking to her admirer... It's nowhere near the level of Peatrice and Zelda, but it's there.
Last Edited by Claus; 07-26-2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Ass-Kicker, Name-Taker

I've taken the first half of the response to PM.

Quote:
Also, as a side note - the whole ZeLink in SS being too forced is almost invalidated by a darling woman named Peatrice. Of course, canonically Link ends up with Zelda at the end and the game does spend more time with ZeLink, and maybe you have beef with that, but there is a whole lot of interaction and dialogue branching and choosing (read: player option) involved with Peatrice. You can easily see your Link as being captivated by Peatrice and that lovely beauty mark of hers.

And then, there's even enough stuff goin' on to constitute a valid shipping between Link and Kina (Lumpy Pumpkin girl). What with talking to her (the things she says), working for her, talking to her admirer... It's nowhere near the level of Peatrice and Zelda, but it's there.
The kind of choice I was looking for was the ability to forego all romantic relations with ingame characters altogether, since that kind of stuff just doesn't appeal to me.

Quote: