Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 73
I do hope they reboot the series at some point.

I remember when I heard that idea, that it sounded stupid, and I truly didn't want to see something like that happen! But after thinking it through, you can tell it's not that bad of an idea at all.

Some things to consider are that, even if they do a reboot of the series (a Zelda outside the current "universe", if you will), there is no need to stop making games that take place in the "universe" we currently know of.

I do believe, of course, they can still do a lot in the current universe, especially lately when they've been trying to tie up games together more.

But I do see how the series could benefit from a reboot. I think people, fans, are just scared cuz it's obviously a big change, or so you'd think. But the fact is that a reboot could take the BEST elements of the game as we know it, and make something great. We know that the whole timeline thing isn't as neat as it could be. It's impossible for it to be the case. Back when the game was being made, they had no idea it'd have this much success, they could have never known they should prepare to make a coherent, connecting series of games that worked within the same universe and went on a time line. Even though they say they have a master time line and so on, I think we know it's just something they started making up years after the first few games...

I truly think, with the fan base they have now, the success, knowing what ideas and character types work, with all the information and experience they have now, they could make something great. They could create a new universe, in which the games tie up neatly, even in small details. They could have one game bring in a mystery, without explaining it, and then another game is released 15 year later, set before the other one, which explains it properly. Stuff like that, which I think people truly enjoy, especially fans.

I wouldn't mind it at all right now. I do love the games that have come out so far, I still have plenty of them I want to play, but I think the series could benefit from a reboot, a lot of great stuff can come out of it, and fans shouldn't be scared of such an idea.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Hylia and Zelda in name only, for she is neither...
Send a message via Skype™ to Her Grace
View Posts: 479
Re: I do hope they reboot the series at some point.

Reboots have a bad habit of killing franchises, so I must strongly disagree. I have others reasons to feel different as well. I mean, the Zelda series has built up a wide, vast and diverse mythology that, even now, has a ton of mysteries and so much story potential. We have still yet to venture too far outside of Hyrule and into the rest of the Zelda world, the sole exceptions Holodrum, Labrynna and New Hyrule. Why reboot the franchise now that it's all been woven together? This would have been a good idea some years ago before things began to tie together (around the time of Twilight Princess), but the series has developed and connected together so deeply now. Why get rid all the hard work?

Facebook: Bookface
Twitter:Tweetland

If you add me to your list of 3DS friends please leave me a visitor or personal message with your own Friend Code so that I can add quickly you as well. Thanks!
7 people liked this post: Claus, MYK1217, Panda Bear, Sliske, StinksAwakening, Suit Link, TomPJaks
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Wii U ID: Blizzaga

View Posts: 35,524

Meh. Maybe if all you cared about was the story. When I play Zelda, I'm in it for the gameplay. And it almost feels like each game is its own universe anyways, what with almost always having artsyle changes and the like.

Also, I hate reboots. It's like taking a hot, bubbly ❤❤❤❤ on what's already been established. One of my most favorite game franchises, Spyro, has been rebooted not once, but twice. In Skylanders, he is merely an ugly shell of his former self and might as well have been given a different name.

???

Last Edited by Coconut Water; 06-30-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
3 people liked this post: AgentNimble, Sliske, Topaz Mutiny
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Kokiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her Grace View Post
Reboots have a bad habit of killing franchises, so I must strongly disagree. I have others reasons to feel different as well. I mean, the Zelda series has built up a wide, vast and diverse mythology that, even now, has a ton of mysteries and so much story potential. We have still yet to venture too far outside of Hyrule and into the rest of the Zelda world, the sole exceptions Holodrum, Labrynna and New Hyrule. Why reboot the franchise now that it's all been woven together? This would have been a good idea some years ago before things began to tie together (around the time of Twilight Princess), but the series has developed and connected together so deeply now. Why get rid all the hard work?
Really? What games? (not being sarcastic, I genuinely just want to know).

I do agree with you, we still don't know half as much as we'd like to know about, say, Termina, and maybe it'll always stay that way. I agree, they've made some fantastic things, in terms of different lands, characters, stories, etc. I love them all!

My point is that, when some of those lands were introduced, the idea of Zelda being a solid franchise wasn't established yet. Even though some people don't like to admit it, if you're realistic about the situation, we know the time line hasn't been thought about from the very beginning, neither the way in which maps would fit together and so on.

I guess maybe I care about things like that more than others. I love, for example, the fact that the harp used by Zelda in SS is the same as in OoT, tiny details like that, in terms of continuity through out the games.

Idk, I do think a reboot could benefit the series. This doesn't mean that they have to stop making games in the "current" universe, as I said. Neither does it mean that the "new" Zelda universe has to be, say, set in the future with guns and flying cars or anything drastic like that, all I mean is it TAKING the best elements we know about Zelda, maybe leaving apart some other things, and sewing them together beautifully, making them more connected, not leaving some plot holes which are later not possible to fill in properly (as it tends to be when one starts making up the time line as the series goes along).

I don't think this would "throw away" all the hard work. I think they can use all the experience and hard work and create something even better in a new universe where things work together even better! Where they'd be free from any "legacy" left by the current universe and they can basically start from 0 in a way.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 9,390

I don't understand what the point of a reboot would be anyway. Honestly every game that stars a different Link from the previous ones is a reboot in a sense. The series doesn't follow a set character so it's not like they could run into the problem of running out of stories to tell about them. If they ever get tired of one setting just flashforward or backward a few hundred years and do something else.
1 person liked this post: Coconut Water
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Kokiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecora View Post
Meh. Maybe if all you cared about was the story. When I play Zelda, I'm in it for the gameplay. And it almost feels like each game is its own universe anyways, what with almost always having artsyle changes and the like.

Also, I hate reboots. It's like taking a hot, bubbly ❤❤❤❤ on what's already been established. One of my most favorite game franchises, Spyro, has been rebooted not once, but twice. In Skylanders, he is merely an ugly shell of his former self and might as well have been given a different name.
It's not all I care about. I love the games as they are, it's my favourite by FAR. I've always loved them! But I can't help but think what incredible things they COULD do if they rebooted the series.

I don't. People generally hate them because they're change, but it's not always bad. If it's done properly, then there's nothing to fear. And I think they're a pretty talented team over there that can pull it off properly. Well, I can't remember much about other game reboots, but at least in films, they can do incredible stuff. Look at the Batman series.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostya View Post
I don't understand what the point of a reboot would be anyway. Honestly every game that stars a different Link from the previous ones is a reboot in a sense. The series doesn't follow a set character so it's not like they could run into the problem of running out of stories to tell about them. If they ever get tired of one setting just flashforward or backward a few hundred years and do something else.
I'm talking about it in the sense of how stories tie up together. Before, they didn't care that much. Lately, they're caring much more. Virtually every other game since WW, or maybe even MM we could say, has started to be more heavily linked to one another, wether it's with huge story lines (such as the story of OoT link shown at the start of WW), or smaller things (The photo of the fisher man from OoT in the TP fishing place). I think people like that kind of stuff?

What I'm saying is that, when they do that now, it's just a bit messy because establishing coherent links between the older games is hard, and you can easily see that in how hard it's been for people to link the games together in a fluid time line that makes sense.

A reboot could re-start this thing, making a really well, thought out time line, with proper connections to one another, and so on. I know story line isn't the most important thing to everyone, but I do think that it's important regardless. Zelda wouldn't be what it is by now if it weren't for it's stories. A reboot could just take the best we know about Zelda and start something fresh, where games connect even better, and the gamer can benefit from the experience of seeing the games have small links between each other, as well as real big ones (like that simple example I gave of some sort of mystery being left in one game, and not touched on until years later in another game set years before/after it). We know they tried do that with the Master Sword, but the whole story of the Master Sword has been sort of messy exactly because of this idea that Zelda wasn't made at the very start with the intention to go on for years and years to come.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Demon King Demise Demon King Demise is a male United Kingdom Demon King Demise is offline
Demon King
View Posts: 196

I believe that would ruin some people's childhoods...
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Topaz Mutiny Topaz Mutiny is a female United States Topaz Mutiny is offline
Wii U ID: Topaz_Mutiny 3DS ID: 5370-0400-3836
View Posts: 4,558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecora View Post
Also, I hate reboots. It's like taking a hot, bubbly ♥♥♥♥ on what's already been established. One of my most favorite game franchises, Spyro, has been rebooted not once, but twice. In Skylanders, he is merely an ugly shell of his former self and might as well have been given a different name.
If I could like your post multiple times, I would. There are no words to describe my complete agreement in regards to Spyro.

-------------

As for Zelda, I feel as though a reboot is not only redundant, but ironic. Many of the games are just so vastly different from each other, that it already feels like Zelda's gone through not just one, but multiple reboots. Zelda II, OoT, TWW, and SS all feel like reboots to me. It doesn't matter if the games are connected or the stories tie up because, by default, reboots are kind of required to be connected to the base material in some form or fashion.
Online Games: ACNL, MK7, Pkmn X+Y, Miiverse

Thanks to Sugarpoultry for the pretty sig! <3
1 person liked this post: Bill
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Kokiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon King Demise View Post
I believe that would ruin some people's childhoods...
I don't understand how?
Zelda is a game I've loved since I was really young. I remember playing OoT with my friend when I was young, I remember my grandpa buying me MM when it came out, it was the first game I owned. I have a lot of fond memories of Zelda, plenty.

But a reboot wouldn't erase those memories at all. This is exactly the problem I'm talking about!

All the fans hear "reboot" and think it'd destroy it, it'd erase everything, but that's not the case at all. It'd allow to make an even neater universe where new games tie up even better and the whole thing is more thought out properly in terms of story, more coherent, and it would in NO way change what we currently have. It'd take the best of it and make something better.

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz Mutiny View Post
If I could like your post multiple times, I would. There are no words to describe my complete agreement in regards to Spyro.

-------------

As for Zelda, I feel as though a reboot is not only redundant, but ironic. Many of the games are just so vastly different from each other, that it already feels like Zelda's gone through not just one, but multiple reboots. Zelda II, OoT, TWW, and SS all feel like reboots to me. It doesn't matter if the games are connected or the stories tie up because, by default, reboots are kind of required to be connected to the base material in some form or fashion.
Right, they're all very different in terms of art style, characters, story lines, lands, etc. But they do ALL take place in one universe, and we're meant to see them as having connections, especially lately. But the fact is that, with the earlier games, it's not easy to do that, because this whole "connecting the games to one another" started "recently", thus some things are consistent in the series, in some major aspects, such as the Master Sword and it's creation, it's purpose, as well as what the only item that can destroy Ganon is, etc. There are some things that don't add up, and there's no good way to make them add up properly.

A reboot could start something new, having the base of a big fandom, the knowledge of the kind of gameplay, characters and stories they enjoy, the experience of making great games with great stuff, and it'd allow them to make a new "universe" where the next games they make are coherent between each other, and I think people would appreciate that a lot in terms of story. And I'm not saying it'd have to be a REALLY different story or anything at all, maybe make a few things fresh so it's not repetitive to what we've already seen, but create new games, where they'll all be better connected in terms of story, because the creators know they can create a MASSIVE story and universe that they can work on for years and lots of games (something they didn't know when first creating Zelda).

That's all, really. Not destroying Zelda, just making something new.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Demon King Demise Demon King Demise is a male United Kingdom Demon King Demise is offline
Demon King

I played Spyro as a Kid. Now skylanders is out, making my nostalgia changed. I played OoT as a kid. Rebooting the series disrespects that.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-01-2012, 06:11 AM
Guardian Dragon
Send a message via AIM to Sliske Send a message via Yahoo to Sliske
View Posts: 2,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscrk View Post

I'm talking about it in the sense of how stories tie up together. Before, they didn't care that much. Lately, they're caring much more. Virtually every other game since WW, or maybe even MM we could say, has started to be more heavily linked to one another, wether it's with huge story lines (such as the story of OoT link shown at the start of WW), or smaller things (The photo of the fisher man from OoT in the TP fishing place). I think people like that kind of stuff?

It's because people care about that kind of stuff.
Not only does it allow us to theorize and say, "Hey, I recognize this from that game", but it allows us to make mental connections. It causes us to think.

I personally love seeing sequels and prequels and inbetweenquels because to me, it's a type of cheap rush when you figure something out that you remember from an earlier game somewhere along the timeline.

Why do you think shows like "The Cleveland Show" are popular? Because people go into it knowing a familiar universe; They feel safe.

The same applies to Zelda.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Zora Warrior
Send a message via AIM to kymeric
View Posts: 319

Yeah pretty much every zelda is a reboot already. What would even be different in a rebooted game from every other game that dosent specifically mention OOT in the opening? What are you gonna make a game without a Link Zelda and some bad guy kidnapping zelda?

Other than the games that mention other games in the series, or skyward sword that provides some reasons for the mainstays of the other games (why theres always a link, zelda and badguy) every game already IS a reboot.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Kokiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymeric View Post
Yeah pretty much every zelda is a reboot already. What would even be different in a rebooted game from every other game that dosent specifically mention OOT in the opening? What are you gonna make a game without a Link Zelda and some bad guy kidnapping zelda?

Other than the games that mention other games in the series, or skyward sword that provides some reasons for the mainstays of the other games (why theres always a link, zelda and badguy) every game already IS a reboot.
Yeah it seems like none of you are getting my point.
And that's exactly why a reboot wouldn't be as bad as some people seem to think.

It'd be making games, same style, but in a NEW universe, with a new story line that is more thought out, properly. Right now, we have a big mess regarding quite a few aspects of the game, such as what is the only thing that can kill Ganon, the location of the Master Sword, the creation of Hyrulians in some aspects is still a bit ambiguous, and so on. There is a lot mixed up, because the first games didn't take it all in to consideration.

A reboot would allow for a new universe, in which all these things are planned, the story is better organised, probably a bit different to keep things fresh, and so on.

At the end of the day, everyone else would just see them as new Zelda games, but it'd allow for some new stuff, some new stories that flow well within a same universe where everything links up properly and makes sense, and fans are sure to enjoy that.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Demon King

I think the current universe is good as it is. Mess? That's what new games are for.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-01-2012, 07:16 PM
#Dysphoriyawn

View Posts: 16,484

Link should be in a totally different game. Maybe... in a mario game.
2 people liked this post: Claus, leftyrock91
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-01-2012, 07:50 PM
/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY /watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY is a male Central African Republic /watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY is offline
Banned User
Send a message via Skype™ to /watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY
View Posts: 1,075

I agree in some aspects because it'd be nice for the whole timeline thing to be cleaned up and renewed but there is too much history in the current universe both within the game and outside of it.

And although I am a firm believer in Zelda games being about the adventure as opposed to the plot a new universe could pave a path away from the conventions that appear in nearly every Zelda game. But again, it would be like destroying Pokémon, the franchise has become too much off an icon to simply be reset into a new universe, us fan boys and girls wouldn't be best pleased - I've spent far too much time reading up on the current universe and I still know a fragment of what there is too know.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 90

Zelda is practically built on nostalgia for me. Rebooting it would kill me.
But I bet one reboot would be successful.
But then they'd want to do it again because of the success.
That's what would ruin the series. For me at least.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 02:28 AM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Wii U ID: Blizzaga

View Posts: 35,524

The only real reason I see justification for a reboot is to replace the timeline. But if you care that much for a timeline, methinks you are taking Zelda waaay too seriously.

???

#19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Zora Warrior
Send a message via AIM to kymeric
View Posts: 319

I dont think what youre looking for would make any significant change to the series as a reboot. Nothing would change except some minor dialogue and background plot.

And the new revised contunity would just be added to the heap of other contunity.

Basically any contunity screw ups can be explained away by it being a LEGEND and not an exact retelling of history every time. Cause frankly, anything in the real world that you didnt personally witness and experience first hand is little better than a rumor anyways. How much of the Spartans vs Xerxies is actually accurate in history. Will people in 100 years get any of the events of world war 2 correct? Heck the civil war is described by everyone as being about SLAVERY when that was only one small part of the events going on at the time, it was more of an afterthought late in the war.

History is random and conflicting and told to suit an agenda. Most peoples agenda for zelda is the same and wouldnt be changed by a reboot.
2 people liked this post: Coconut Water, Topaz Mutiny