Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Necrotrophic Necrotrophic is a male United States Necrotrophic is offline
Shin Kikoken
View Posts: 26
If they remake Majoras Mask for 3ds, what would you like to see different?

• Different music for every area. The woodfall area and snowhead shouldnt have the same music
  • Take out the stray fairy stuff. Maybe just have one hard to find fairy
  • Time should stop in dungeons. One of the problems I had with the game is that I felt like I couldnt just casually explore.
  • I dont like the idea of having to constantly rebeat bosses. I would like the option of having to reface them or just skip to the chase and change the area/town/whatever to its post boss state

how bout you
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Crimson and Clover, over and over
View Posts: 4,259
Re: If they remake Majoras Mask for 3ds, what would you like to see different?

You're last two point were key aspects of the game mechanics. Maybe they could do it so you could explore the dungeon freely or maybe even all of termina after the game is beaten that might be nice. But I don't believe that exploring is that hindered by the time. Play the inverted song of time and you got a whole bundle of time before you have to start over again.

And then with the stray fairy stuff I think that was an important aspect they placed in. The search gives that great challenge for players, and ups the intensity. Having one makes it difficult once and then forever more its jjust a thing you get right quick. Like Din's Fire in OOT. You don't have to work for it at all it just becomes a piece that you go and collect and do not have to work for at all.

And for the music, I actually found it very fitting for all the areas. I spose I may not have paid that close of attention to the music to see that they were identical tho. But in all honesty I don't think that they could do much to change the music without changing the feeling of the temple itself.

A feature that I think would be interesting for them to incorperate would be to have a second quest option, similar to the Master Quest of OoT. But going to the potential they wanted out of MM and giving the fourth day. It would be neat to see if they could mesh something up with the original nad the new generation of Nintendo.
4 people liked this post: Castiel, Cornelius Fudge, jotokun, Wilian
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Goron
View Posts: 221

replace the OoT NPCs
one more dungeon
land music shouldn't be practically the same
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-27-2012, 09:32 PM
But Vegeta, Trix are for kids
View Posts: 979

First, a better save system; ideally the one present in SS. It doesn't bother me at all that you would have to go to a certain point to save instead of doing so from the menu, but the fact that you would lose all progress made from your last 3-day cycle restart became a pain in the dick on more than one occasion. Second, update the NPC models, mainly clothing. Just make it so that the models carried over from OoT aren't exactly identical. Otherwise, maybe add some additional content kinda like they did in Pokemon Heartgold and Soulsilver, but make sure everything that was in the original game is still the same. If there was anything which COULD be changed from the original though, make it so that the Fierce Deity Mask could be worn everywhere, not just in boss fights. Kinda defeats the purpose of a BA item the way the had it.
But never will

Wolf Pack Pride
3 people liked this post: Aenglaan, Bill, SCIENTIST Jwal
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Crimson and Clover, over and over
View Posts: 4,259

But you could save part way through the cycle by going to the owl statues. I assumed that was where the idea of SS save system came from. I really like the idea about the NPCs tho, it would have been really interesting to see the exact same character again, just slightly different. I think the problem is, that no one is really going to notice that hard core. When MM came out OoT was only two years old, so that samey closeness that we saw was seen. ITs way too late, and the games are seen in a differant light I think. (Also I don't care what anyone says, cloned character models made termina that more real to me in its whole being)
2 people liked this post: Castiel, Eldr
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-27-2012, 10:31 PM
But Vegeta, Trix are for kids
View Posts: 979

^
You're getting me wrong with the save system. The one present in MM allows you to save at owl statues in between the 3-day cycles, but if for some reason the game froze or power to the console ceased, then any progress you made in that cycle is lost. I remember on one playthrough I was about to finish the Stone Tower Temple, but the game froze on me. Had to start all over again. Hopefully with a release on the 3DS the game would be more stable, but you have the additional issue of the system's batteries running out. That means that if the red light came on, you would either have to fine an outlet, cease playing, or risk losing all progress. In SS, even if anything happened, you would start at the last statue save no matter what. That's the improvement I want.

As for the character models, don't forget that OoT 3DS was just recently released. If the made MM 3DS within the next year or two, then you might run into the same issue. I don't want their figures changed at all, but I think something as simple as new clothing can help widen the gap between their OoT counterparts.
But never will

Wolf Pack Pride
3 people liked this post: Aenglaan, jotokun, Mask Collector
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Anouki
View Posts: 44

I'd only want the OoT NPC models to be changed and a more 'failsafe' save system like you've already mentioned.

Running out of time wasn't much of an issue as soon as I found out about the reversed song. Even in first play, but that was just my experience.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-28-2012, 12:35 AM
-x.
View Posts: 17,736

*Thread moved to the Future Zelda forum*
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-28-2012, 03:33 AM
King Of Hyrule
View Posts: 3,309

Better saving and more time options.I would like to be able to forward to 3,6,9,12
That way you don't have to spend so much time waiting.
Take the aliens 2:30 event. Instead of making it 6PM, you can make it 12AM and cut the waiting time by a lot.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-28-2012, 07:11 AM
Shin Kikoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Green View Post
You're last two point were key aspects of the game mechanics. Maybe they could do it so you could explore the dungeon freely or maybe even all of termina after the game is beaten that might be nice. But I don't believe that exploring is that hindered by the time. Play the inverted song of time and you got a whole bundle of time before you have to start over again.
Its really not a key aspect of the game while youre in a dungeon. time has no role aside from rushing you.

Quote:
And then with the stray fairy stuff I think that was an important aspect they placed in. The search gives that great challenge for players, and ups the intensity. Having one makes it difficult once and then forever more its jjust a thing you get right quick. Like Din's Fire in OOT. You don't have to work for it at all it just becomes a piece that you go and collect and do not have to work for at all.
I dont see how it was important at all. It was just a quick idea to make the game longer, its just another cheap fetch quest. I also dont think its challenging, but rather, its boring and not needed.

Your argument in favor of stray fairies can be used as an argument against stray fairies... Once you memorize it, theres no challenge. Just cut the tedious crap out of the game

Quote:
And for the music, I actually found it very fitting for all the areas. I spose I may not have paid that close of attention to the music to see that they were identical tho. But in all honesty I don't think that they could do much to change the music without changing the feeling of the temple itself.
The music im talking about is not from the temples. Its from the surrounding areas. The only area that had its own sound was Ikana, every other area was clearly rushed.

The problems I have with MM is that practically everything about it just screams "rushed", I imagine Nintendo developers just trying to get something on the market as fast as possible, and while its a decent game, it has massive flaws that need to be addressed. With the talk of a potential remake, id like to see some practical changes to it.

I'd love to see them actually revamp the game, a total remake from the ground up, changing the way the npc's look and everything(the whole parallel world thing is just another justification for rushing a game to market), but i know it wont happen. Its a shame because MM had a lot of potential, but I really feel like Ninendo's rush job made the game relatively poor in terms of quality, and a remake would be a good chance to fix it.
Last Edited by Necrotrophic; 05-28-2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Mad Vodka Drinking Yahoo
View Posts: 2,458

Being able to properly save would be appreciated, but perhaps not during the final night in case you save too close to the deadline. I can imagine people making this mistake quite easily.

A hero mode would also be quite welcome, and maybe some optional dungeons. Snowhead never actually had a mini-dungeon after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrotrophic View Post
Its really not a key aspect of the game while youre in a dungeon. time has no role aside from rushing you.
You have over an hour without doubling the limit and once you get the dungeon item you can skip half the obstacles during repeats. In what way is that a rush?

Keep the time limit at all points, it promotes thinking ahead while playing the game. It really baffles me when people don't realize they can't loose an item that a large portion of the dungeon requires you to find.

Quote:
I dont see how it was important at all. It was just a quick idea to make the game longer, its just another cheap fetch quest. I also dont think its challenging, but rather, its boring and not needed.

Your argument in favor of stray fairies can be used as an argument against stray fairies... Once you memorize it, theres no challenge. Just cut the tedious crap out of the game.
Way to consider new players. The stray fairies give dungeons a replay factor. Plus replacing them all with a single well hidden one is not difficult in the least when you have a mask that highlights when one is in the room.
I fail to see how it makes the game longer when it is optional and the game is quite a slog as it is.

Memorize indeed, sounds like you just don't want any trouble getting fairy upgrades.

Oh, is that a gal I see? No, it's just a fal'Cie!
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Shin Kikoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-Tech View Post
Way to consider new players. The stray fairies give dungeons a replay factor. Plus replacing them all with a single well hidden one is not difficult in the least when you have a mask that highlights when one is in the room.
I fail to see how it makes the game longer when it is optional and the game is quite a slog as it is.

I am considering new players. Adding arbitrary fetch quests is one of the worst practices in video game design. Not only that, the fairy quest is so obviously arbitrary that it actually makes the game look poorly thought out. The fairy thing is clearly a shallow attempt at making something artificially challenging, when in fact, its just tedious, and doesnt add any "real" challenge.

I thought the mask just made the fairy go to you after it was out of a chest or bubble.

Quote:
Memorize indeed, sounds like you just don't want any trouble getting fairy upgrades.
You arent understanding the context of what I posted. I mentioned memorization because memorization was used as an argument against getting a single item for an upgrade (dins fire was used as an example)

Many easy tasks are boring, unchallenging and pointless. One easy task is efficient.

Is it really more difficult to add 1+1+1+1+1, rather than just 4+1 ?
The former takes longer because you have to count how many ones are there, so obviously its better and more interesting, right? No, neither are interesting or challenging, if I have to do one, i'd much prefer the quicker one. The former isnt more challenging, its just more tedious.

Id much prefer something that actually challenges the way that I think. The stray fairy thing is just one big gimmick, like all fetch quests are. Its give a false sense of challenge and depth.

If it werent for the already designed game mechanics that revolve around the fairy gimmick, i would just cut it out entirely(assuming I were developing the game) and tell the user they cant access the upgrade until after they defeat the boss of the temple, or perhaps, make a mini dungeon to access the upgrade(which would be a great incentive for people who already played the game). That would surely be of more value. Im just not a fan of cheap thrills, and I think MM has a lot of that, and I think it makes the game worse than it otherwise would be
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Battle routine, set! Execute!
View Posts: 4,658

All of the dungeons that were originally supposed to be in there, as well as a seven day cycle.

I want a remake, not a rehash.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Mad Vodka Drinking Yahoo
View Posts: 2,458

The mask glows to let you know there is at least one fairy in the room, which renders the whole hiding one rather pointless.

I really don't think this counts as a fetch quest. Running up and down a mountain six times in the extra dungeon ofChrono Trigger DS was an irritating fetch quest, taking note of fairies as you progress through a dungeon, doing extra puzzles in dungeons or finding a way through over looked areas is hardly in the same vein. Having a multiple number tests the gamer in terms of exploration, observation and time keeping. It allows for a better challenge as the whole area has to be run through and lets you look at the dungeon in another light.

If people think its pointless and annoying that's fine, they don't need to complete it.

Oh, is that a gal I see? No, it's just a fal'Cie!
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2012, 12:20 PM
View Posts: 19

I don't think anything should be changed. Everything about the game is how it should be in order to have the same feeling. The only thing I think should be added would be like what they did for OoT3D and unlock a Master Quest after completing the game. Changing anything about the game itself would change the feel of the game itself and thus take the chance of ruining a great game.
Oh, wise young one! I am the Great Fairy of Wisdom. Thank you for returning my broken and shattered body to normal. As thanks, I shall enhance your Magic Power. Come see me whenever you are overcome by weariness.
2 people liked this post: DoubleDipDelish, The Doctor
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Without further adieu let us continue...
Steam ID: Aenglaan
View Posts: 242

Fix the awful save system, for starters. It was far too restrictive as your only choices were to play the Song of Time (restarting the cycle) or going to an Owl Statue (which whipped your data if you resumed that particular file and didn't go back to the Owl Statue after the save was loaded).
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Anouki
View Posts: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatFairy View Post
The only thing I think should be added would be like what they did for OoT3D and unlock a Master Quest after completing the game. Changing anything about the game itself would change the feel of the game itself and thus take the chance of ruining a great game.
A thousand times this. MM Master Quest would be awesome.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Light Spirit
Wii U ID: Tlozbj 3DS ID: 0001-3303-1181
View Posts: 4,246

like they have said a better save system and a master quest
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-30-2012, 07:00 AM
I am a Red Mage
Steam ID: P13B0T
View Posts: 1,351

Better save system, 2nd Quest and the mechanics change they had in OoT

#20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Anouki
Send a message via Skype™ to Lunchbox22
View Posts: 59

Honestly, I 'd want an option to have the original graphics. The 3ds version of OOT's graphics just didn't work for me. I guess the 64-bit style holds a sort of nostalgia for me.

And yeah, like everyone else said, a better save system.