Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Deku Scrub
Send a message via Skype™ to ih8skulltulas
View Posts: 13
Futuristic themed Zelda...

Before you hate on it, think of everything Nintendo can do with it... I would have a total orgasm over it. The landscape would be totally different, a whole new door opened with weapons, monsters, etc... Then even more room to fill in-between, as it seems Nintendo likes doing that with their Zelda games.
Epona=motorcycle of some sort. GAAAAAAAAA
'
What do you guys think. c:
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Hylia and Zelda in name only, for she is neither...
Send a message via Skype™ to Her Grace
View Posts: 479
Re: Futuristic themed Zelda...

I would love a game set deeper into the history of New Hyrule where the land has developed stuff like factories and telephones. However, I would want cars or motorcycles! Stuff like industry and and steampunk would be lovely though.

Facebook: Bookface
Twitter:Tweetland

If you add me to your list of 3DS friends please leave me a visitor or personal message with your own Friend Code so that I can add quickly you as well. Thanks!
1 person liked this post: Sweet SS Zelda
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Sweet SS Zelda Sweet SS Zelda is a male Canada Sweet SS Zelda is offline
Twili
View Posts: 447

A futuristic Zelda game exists. It is called the Metroid series.

Joking aside, I am open to the idea of a futuristic Zelda game, as long as it is done tastefully. I am also open to a more steampunk Zelda game (one that is set in a more industrial Hyrule, not one like PH or ST).

Edit: NINJAED

Last Edited by Sweet SS Zelda; 05-09-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2012, 07:21 PM
windwackster windwackster is a male United Kingdom windwackster is offline
The Wind Waker
View Posts: 882

inb4 the futurism haters who go "BAAAAW buwt that wud ruwin Zeldah cuz its suppowsed to bee mewdievawl!!!" without ever showing any proof where Miyamoto or Aunuma ever said anything about the series being supposed to be only and only in medieval settings.

Eitherway, I don't mind futuristic settings, so long as there are Good and creative dungeons with good action and exploration they can make a Zelda game with hovercrafts and spaceships for all I care. (Ironic since Ocarina of Time had the Hover boots and Spirit Tracks had a hover part for the train, not to mention the hover carts in Skyward Sword so I would say that Hyrule already has the technology lol)
Last Edited by windwackster; 05-09-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
6 people liked this post: Dovakiin, IGNIS, Major Liftz, Rakshael, Sliske, Sweet SS Zelda
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Guardian Dragon
Send a message via AIM to Sliske Send a message via Yahoo to Sliske
View Posts: 2,604

I'd love to see a steam-punk Zelda that takes place years after ST, but on the Wii U. It'd be pretty rad.
More advanced trains. I'd go for an advanced sword, maybe able to "upgrade" it. A bow that fires energy shots. Etc etc.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Scary beary.
Steam ID: mister_blak
View Posts: 1,263

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwackster View Post
inb4 the futurism haters who go "BAAAAW buwt that wud ruwin Zeldah cuz its suppowsed to bee mewdievawl!!!" without ever showing any proof where Miyamoto or Aunuma ever said anything about the series being supposed to be only and only in medieval settings.

Eitherway, I don't mind futuristic settings, so long as there are Good and creative dungeons with good action and exploration they can make a Zelda game with hovercrafts and spaceships for all I care. (Ironic since Ocarina of Time had the Hover boots and Spirit Tracks had a hover part for the train, not to mention the hover carts in Skyward Sword so I would say that Hyrule already has the technology lol)
Hyrulian technology has been crapping over IRL technology for years now. Specifically their ability to fit huge rooms into tiny houses, and the largest of items into a man's pocket.

Actually, a slightly futuristic style Zelda could be cool, as long as it didn't become overdone, and basically stayed largely similar in a futuristic setting. Things like Starwars have shown us that medieval-style combat can still be made viable in a fictional future, so why not?

OMG, we've gotten four replies without illogical whining! It's a sign of the apocalypse!
Last Edited by Blak; 05-11-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Lifter Suprime

View Posts: 752

I'd play a steampunk Zelda, but not a modern one. Modern settings are reserved for horror games and shooters.

[CENTER]
U MIRIN' BRAH?
1 person liked this post: TheTwilitHero
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Filthy beast of meat and hair
Send a message via Skype™ to Jin
View Posts: 545

I am a bit too much of a fantasy fan to probably enjoy a futuristic Zelda game. I love the medieval fantasy theme in them. The moving over to mostly futuristic setting is part of the reason I have not liked much of the later Fina Fantasy games. Sometimes it works when things are mostly still in the past but with a few random things like giant mechs at such. But when there are planes, cars, and skyscraper cities everywhere it is not so much a fantasy anymore.

And I would agree that Metroid if the scifi series of Nintendo while Zelda was the fantasy series. So I would not want a futuristic Zelda any more than I would want a medieval themed Metroid.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Therein, they're in there in their inn.
Steam ID: cereal_bawks Wii U ID: Cereal_Bawks 3DS ID: 0989-1785-1204

View Posts: 8,473

I don't really want a futuristic themed Zelda. Not because I think Zelda is suppose to be medieval, but because... I'm not even sure why.

Steampunk Zelda is a different story, though.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Banned User
Steam ID: sircalibur
View Posts: 2,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shadows View Post
I'd play a steampunk Zelda, but not a modern one. Modern settings are reserved for horror games and shooters.
No, they're not. Fantasy has been using modern settings for decades. It's not that Zelda is incapable of functioning in a modern setting, it's that no one has tried—and no, Pinkie Pie isn't talking about the crappy fanfiction. The best example of a series making such a jump would be Avatar: The Legend of Korra.
Last Edited by American Soldier; 05-14-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Sweet SS Zelda
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 AM
Scary beary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie View Post
No, they're not. Fantasy has been using modern settings for decades. It's not that Zelda is incapable of functioning in a modern setting, it's that no one has tried—and no, Pinkie Pie isn't talking about the crappy fanfiction. The best example of a series making such a jump would be Avatar: The Legend of Korra.
What about Final Fantasy? They did a pretty good job of it.

And starwars. It's basically just fantasy in space.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-15-2012, 01:38 AM
ć -x.
View Posts: 17,740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Blak View Post
What about Final Fantasy? They did a pretty good job of it.

And starwars. It's basically just fantasy in space.
Star Wars is meant to be based around space and war affairs. Even the name itself describes "sci-fi". It wouldn't make any sense for it to be based around medieval times with simple technology.

I'm fine with Zelda if there are some forms of technology in it. There are trains in ST, gun powder in WW (which suggests that they could easily create simple flintlock pistols) and heck, there's even a visible rifle in OoT hanging behind the counter of the Shooting alley game.

But if they were to introduce things like spaceships or anything that NASA creates or the military in this day and age when it comes to weapons, then no.
Last Edited by EternaLegend; 05-15-2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-15-2012, 02:03 AM
Scary beary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Legend View Post
Star Wars is meant to be based around space and war affairs. Even the name itself describes "sci-fi". It wouldn't make any sense for it to be based around medieval times with simple technology.
Yes, the NAME is sci-fi, but the protagonists are basically your good ol' mystic monks. Like George Lucas said, his inspiration was samurai movies
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 AM
Sweet SS Zelda Sweet SS Zelda is a male Canada Sweet SS Zelda is offline
Twili
View Posts: 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Legend View Post
Star Wars is properly classified as "science fantasy." Star Trek is "science fiction."

Final Fantasy VI is considered steampunk, yet it has many magical beings and people casting magic. World of WarCraft looks like a medieval MMO, but it has many steampunk elements. The same goes to Allods Online, a Russian MMO, in which one playable faction looks medieval, but another playable faction is steampunk Soviet.

Many "lighter" "medieval" fantasy games have steampunk elements to keep things interesting. Zelda is one of them. Working hookshots do not exist in the real world yet even!

#15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Kokiri
View Posts: 91

WW, PH, and ST have all been in a genericly 'age of discovery' setting and it worked quite well. You have steam and gunpowder, navies and suitcoats, plus a crazy little kid and his razor-sharp sword.

If it were modern-ish era you'd probably see a neat dichotomy between a modern world suddenly defenseless and perplexed by monsters and ancient ruins more akin to earlier Zelda titles. Any highly-stylized setting would work if you think about it. Steampunk is the most likely choice, but then an impressionist or art-neuveux could work too. The stark reality of fantasy would be very well set against an impressionist modern era, especially if a big emphasis of the monster hoard was light and color. So, simulataneous with the enemy invasion is a metaphorical one imposing one art style on another. Extend that beyond just occupied lands into the enslaved people and you'd have a visible representaion of what the hoard is doing emotionally to the subjugated populace.

Actually, it would sort of be funny if investigating ruined temples had a kind of Egyptian-graverobber sort of theme, its art style much like those early film recordings.

Imagine the uses of a timeshift stone in that kind of game. Shifting between a modern city and an older fantasy setting could be pretty neat. Beyond just how awesome it would be to shift an impressionist city back (ironically) to a neo-Raphaelite kind of medieval setting, but it could serve the dual purpose of gaining you access beyond guards or getting into places that no longer exist or exist only in the modern era.
Last Edited by Zoinkity; 05-18-2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Mad Vodka Drinking Yahoo
View Posts: 2,461

I wouldn't mind seeing something akin to the past Lanayru facilities in Skyward Sword. Less traditional sci-fi and more like FFVI... Magitek or Chrono Trigger's Zeal Kingdom. Quite a few games over the years have had societies with such set ups.
However I don't know if the Links origins should be made in such a scenario, rather it should be introduced at a point it will create a memorable impact on the player.

Oh, is that a gal I see? No, it's just a fal'Cie!