Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Fabulous
Send a message via AIM to LegendofLex
View Posts: 20,981
Zelda HD Remakes: Your Thoughts?

So there's been a bit of a debate at Zelda Informer about Zelda HD remakes for Wii U. Nate believes that with Operation Moonfall gaining so much speed, it's possible that we'll see an OoT3D style remake for MM... but in HD on the Wii U instead. I'm a bit skeptical of that idea and think we're more likely to see Twilight Princess HD, and that it's probably the more desirable direction anyway.

You can read about our two opinions here:

Zelda Informer: Why Iím Saying No to Majoraís Mask Wii U, Yes to Twilight Princess HD

Zelda Informer: Majoraís Mask Wii U Would be Ultimate Fanservice

Personally (outside of these two games), I think Nintendo should make the effort to do some kind of Zelda HD Collection. Why?
  • I'm pretty sure the real reason they didn't do a collector's disc for the 25th anniversary was so they could better justify doing a HD collection on Wii U. I think more fans will go for HD versions of Zelda than perhaps any other Nintendo franchise.
  • I doubt we'll see an original title on Wii U for at least 2-3 years. The presence of Zelda is a very driving force for Nintendo fan confidence in new Nintendo products, so even a quick HD collection would be a good gesture.
  • HD development, especially of Twilight Princess given that the HD experience demo used the same art style, should theoretically assist in graphical development for a future game, so it wouldn't be wasted development time. (Kingdom Hearts developers started with redoing KH in HD, and that's apparently the starting point for the next game.)
  • Twilight Princess already looks good upscaled, imagine it with actual texture improvements, etc.

But now I'm curious what the Zelda Informer community thinks... not just about these two games but about the idea of Zelda HD remakes in general.
Last Edited by LegendofLex; 05-06-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Custom User Title
Steam ID: Khao84 Wii U ID: KhaoMortadios 3DS ID: 1075-0789-4675
View Posts: 11,584
Re: Zelda HD Remakes: Your Thoughts?

Well, I basically think the same of it as with any other kind of remake.

Unless they actually add new content or improve the gameplay, I think it's a waste of time, if the remake is nothing but a graphical update, at first you'll probably be amazed by the graphics, but as soon as the "wow omg" factor is gone and you get "used" to the new graphics, it'll basically feel like any other replay of the original version. This happened to me with OoT 3D.

But still, I won't complain if we do get HD remakes of games, while I most likely never get them beyond a rent out of curiosity, it's still an excellent way for new Zelda fans to play older games without feeling like they're playing some super-dated game made for dinosaurs.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Silver Lining Silver Lining is a male United States Silver Lining is offline
Excelsior.
View Posts: 3,155

I think a compilation of both WW and TP in HD would be most ideal. They're still relatively "modern" enough to graphically update them without too much trouble and reworking, unlike, say, MM with it's N64 graphics. And, while this may be too much work for a simple HD remaster, it would be an extremely good idea to implement SS's motion controls for both games, considering the Wii U will use the Wii remotes. I don't actually know how elaborate of an effort that would have to be, and both games' enemies aren't exactly designed to implement it (WW more so than TP), so maybe that's reaching a bit too far. Maybe just TP could make use of them.
Last Edited by Silver Lining; 05-06-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Therein, they're in there in their inn.
Steam ID: cereal_bawks Wii U ID: Cereal_Bawks 3DS ID: 0989-1785-1204

View Posts: 8,408

If they add more content, change the dialogue, the gameplay, some of the story, along with a graphical update, sure. If they do nothing but the graphical update, no. IMO, MM is a lot better than TP.

Even if they added all that content, change gameplay, etc. to TP, I think MM would be able to pull it off better, considering that it's already a better game.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Fabulous

I don't think a N64 game, no matter how extensive a texture/animation/framerate update they can manage, could ever really translate into HD as well as a GameCube game. That's my main reason for saying "hell no" to a HD graphical update for MM.
Last Edited by LegendofLex; 05-06-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: gamer of time
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
I don't think a N64 game, no matter how extensive a texture/animation/framerate update they can manage, could ever really translate into HD as well as a GameCube game.
What makes you think that? Just look at OoT, although it isn't HD, it looks great. I'm not sure how updating N64 graphics is any different than updating GCN graphics. Sure it'll be harder, but other than that, there's really not that much of a difference.
Last Edited by Kuya; 05-06-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Fabulous

There's enough disparity in terms of visuals, animations, etc. between N64 and HD that I don't think the results would be convincing enough. It'd be like tossing New Super Mario Bros. graphics on top of the original Super Mario Bros. Sounds like it'd work in theory, but...
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 05:38 PM

Give OoT3D a bit more polygons, better textures, lighting, animation, etc., and bam, Wii U tech demo (of course it'd look a bit different, but that's because it has a different art style).

Same goes with TP. They'll have the exact same graphics, textures, etc., but with different art styles.

And I don't see how that's like "tossing New Super Mario Bros. graphics on top of the original Super Mario Bros.", since NSMB is in 3D, while the original SMB is 2D.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Fabulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Fist View Post
And I don't see how that's like "tossing New Super Mario Bros. graphics on top of the original Super Mario Bros.", since NSMB is in 3D, while the original SMB is 2D.
This (the 3D characters) really shouldn't make a difference, as the collision detection in NSMB (as far as I know) has nothing to do with the fact that the characters are rendered as 3D models.
Last Edited by LegendofLex; 05-06-2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 06:22 PM
But Vegeta, Trix are for kids
View Posts: 979

I don't care for any Zelda remake, HD or not. I've already played these older games a million times, so an HD overhaul would only be short lived. I've always said this, I'd rather have them put their efforts into a new game with a new setting, not replay the ones I've already beaten.
But never will

Wolf Pack Pride
1 person liked this post: Johnny Sokko
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 PM
windwackster windwackster is a male United Kingdom windwackster is offline
The Wind Waker
View Posts: 882

Why is everyone so obsessed with remakes these days, especially for the Zelda series? Were the newer games really that terrible? Sure Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass were pretty crap imo. But I personally really enjoyed Skyward Sword and Spirit Tracks a lot. =/

If these remakes are going to be exactly like how Ocarina of Time 3D turned out with absolutely nothing new whatsoever (Boss battle mode and Sheikah Stones aren't good enough) then I honestly think its a waste of time and money. =/
Last Edited by windwackster; 05-06-2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Pierced the Heavens - Who the Hell do you think I am?!
View Posts: 1,011

One of the Main Reasons why i didn't want to play OoT anymore was the aged graphics. After playing games on PS3 so long my eyes got spoiled. Of course the game doesn't get worse, i just didn't feel like looking at the gaphics anymore. OoT 3D changed that big time, and whike i will always keep my OoT N64 cardridge and honor the good old times, 3Ds will be my version to play from now on.
The HH states that the DT is the result if the Hero failed. In the event the Hero could fail, the DT is what would transpire. relegates it to a "what if" scenario which explicitly with that, being stated as such in the book itself. And due to the fact the hero does indeed win to open the CT and AT.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Johnny Sokko Johnny Sokko is a male United States Johnny Sokko is offline
Hylian
View Posts: 609

So now the fanbase wants a remake of MM, ALttP, TWW, and TP? Is this Zelda we're talking about or Street Fighter?
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 09:57 PM
#Dysphoriyawn

View Posts: 16,484

Personally, I think that remaking a game for HD isn't all bad, but the right games must be chosen... Majora's Mask would work. And to be honest, I don't want an Ocarina of Time remake anytime soon. Wind Waker would actually be pretty interesting.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Silver Lining Silver Lining is a male United States Silver Lining is offline
Excelsior.
View Posts: 3,155

While I generally agree with the sentiments that there shouldn't be an overload of Zelda remakes (I'm actually not very supportive of a 3DS remake of MM, despite it being my favorite game), I think an HD remake of at least one Zelda game is to be expected. For one, this is Nintendo we're talking about here: if they find an excuse to re-release an old game of theirs in some form, they're going to do it. Secondly, this is the first time Nintendo will be entering the HD era; I think even people who follow the whole "graphics aren't important" philosophy would be particularly excited for an HD Zelda game, and as the OP pointed out, an HD remake, particularly for TP, will be a good way for Nintendo to get a feel for how to make a game truly look great.

So while I agree that we shouldn't go overboard here, I think at least one HD remake of a Zelda game is warranted. And let's face it; deep down we all know Nintendo is going to be doing this, from a variety of their franchises. Sony does it with many of their games, and like I said, Nintendo will surely jump at the opportunity, based on their past history with these types of things.
Last Edited by Silver Lining; 05-06-2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Johnny Sokko Johnny Sokko is a male United States Johnny Sokko is offline
Hylian
View Posts: 609

Even if it's in HD, I don't think I can get excited for a Zelda game I've already beaten. New Zelda games are always awesome because you can look forward to a new story, characters, dungeons, puzzles, enemies and bosses, music, etc. Remakes are really lame in comparison.

I don't know why, but when I bought OoT3D I thought I'd be getting a whole new experience continuing from OoT/MQ bundle I already owned; I thought that it would be like playing OoT for the first time again, being blown away by how fresh and awesome everything was because of the upgraded, 3D graphics. In actuality, it was really no more fun than playing the GCN version of OoT for the 20th time. I already knew how to solve each puzzle, defeat each boss, and find each item and upgrade. I already knew that Link would travel 7 years into the future, that Sheik was Zelda, that Ganondorf would rise from the rubble and transform into a beast. There was no surprise in seeing the shadowy figure by the tree in the Water Temple or seeing "Ganondorf" at the end of the Forest Temple. If there were any other 3DS games worth playing at the time, I would have said that OoT3D was a huge disappointment.

I don't think an HD remake of any other Zelda game would be different. The only remakes worth playing are those that add new content to the game, like Metroid: Zero Mission and Super Mario 64 DS. I definitely agree with pj777 that an HD remake would be short lived and forgettable; it's not worth Nintendo's time and it's not worth your time. The Virtual Console will always be there for those missed out on the original anyways.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-07-2012, 12:21 AM
Lifter Suprime

View Posts: 752

Screw remakes. I want good characters and plots, all Zelda games have ❤❤❤❤ for both. I want a new perspective on the Zelda universe (I see what I did there).

[CENTER]
U MIRIN' BRAH?
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-07-2012, 04:33 AM
'Im just me, being me'
View Posts: 721

Part of me would really like to see a HD remake, if only to see some of the older games in a new light... WW is already 9 years old... wow... I think that with enough time and effort was put in the games could present new content and feel very fresh...

But that there is a problem in and of itselft to make it worth while would require a lot of time and effort that they could spent working a new game. I doubt nintendo would outsource a big collection.

Really I see the pros and cons and of a such a develoment... It could sell, I mean, I would buy it. But at the same time...
WW and Alttp would be included, right?

Well, remakes in general must be warranted and without worthwhile new alterations are worthless.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Filthy beast of meat and hair
Send a message via Skype™ to Jin
View Posts: 545

Did anyone actually not like the current 3DS update of OoT? I thought it was a great idea mostly. I like it when they update a game and add a few more things to it and improve on some others like controls or overly broken areas. However I think that it should be done sparingly. Do not just churn out a new remake every couple years over and over again. This is something I thought Squaresoft has gone very overboard with. They have re-re-released the first six final Fantasy games so much that it is now overdoing things.

When it comes to HD for Zelda I honestly do not know. It sounds like a decent idea before you really get into it. But what would that make a couple previous games look like? Even Twilight Princess had a lot of more cartoonish designed characters within it and I always think it looks odd when you have a distinctly cartoon or anime style character with too many levels of intimate detail. Then it looks like a bunch of action figures dancing around on screen. And then the thought of realism kind of goes out the window because everything is a bit awkward and strange.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-07-2012, 11:39 AM
The only one that's allowed to hurt you.
3DS ID: 4012-4033-0549
View Posts: 1,836

That just sounds like a way to be lazy. Instead of making new games, they redo the ones that already exist. It seems useless.