Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 01:14 PM
NintendoGuy7 NintendoGuy7 is a male United States NintendoGuy7 is offline
Skyloftian
Send a message via AIM to NintendoGuy7
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
View Posts: 797
What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

I love the motion controls the last 2 console Zelda games had. I find myself letting out my anger at a boss when I slash with that Wiimote. It feels real and its just so damn fun to have motion controls in Zelda! However, what if they ever go back to just buttom controls? I know that probably won't happen soon since the Wii-U is another motion centered console like the Wii. But are there any who would like to return to button controls. I bet all the work and space, motion controls take up on a game, it would leave a chunk of oppurtunity to add in other things for a Zelda game. I mean pretty much most Adventure Sword games out today (Skyrim, Fable, Asassins Creed) are button controlled. I feel its a 50/50 thing for me. I like both styles!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 01:46 PM
pawptart pawptart is a male United States pawptart is offline
I'm going to find out if I'm really alive
Steam ID: pawptart
Join Date: Aug 2011
View Posts: 2,516
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

I like where motion controls could go. I don't really like where they're at right now. I feel like it's a bit too early and there just aren't enough hardware capabilities to justify using it for the types of games I'm interested in.

For now, I'm content with buttons.
Reply With Quote
3 people liked this post: AstroStar, Coconut Water, Sansa Stark
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Kamina Kamina is a male Austria Kamina is offline
Pierced the Heavens - Who the Hell do you think I am?!
Join Date: Feb 2011
View Posts: 1,011
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

I'd like to have the choice to be honest. They should add both types of controls and leave the decision to the player. Some like waving the Wii-Mote, some like sitting and pressing buttons. I myself would probably choose whichever fits my mood rather than settling with one control type.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDecimal View Post
The HH states that the DT is the result if the Hero failed. In the event the Hero could fail, the DT is what would transpire. relegates it to a "what if" scenario which explicitly with that, being stated as such in the book itself. And due to the fact the hero does indeed win to open the CT and AT.
Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: jellotime91
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 02:34 PM
KingOfHeart KingOfHeart is offline
King Of Hyrule
Join Date: Dec 2005
View Posts: 3,273
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

It wouldn't bother me one bit.
Either way they need to fix up the combat.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Khaoabunga Khaoabunga is a male Chile Khaoabunga is offline
Custom User Title
Steam ID: Khao84 Wii U ID: KhaoMortadios 3DS ID: 1075-0789-4675
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: What, isn't the flag enough?
View Posts: 11,483
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

If they decide to use the Wii U tablet as the controller in the Wii U Zelda...

PLEASE stick to buttons.

I don't want to move that thing around.

If they just use the Wii remote, motion controls are cool, though.
__________________
Reply With Quote
4 people liked this post: Japas, jellotime91, Johnny Sokko, Kuya
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 03:27 PM
LuminaForce37 LuminaForce37 is a male United States LuminaForce37 is offline
Zora Warrior
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
View Posts: 338
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

The Wii U will support old-school WiiMotes, so you probably wouldn't have to swing the tablet around ever. You could use the shield and sword with nunchuck and remote but switch back to the tablet for...tablet things. whatever they may end up being.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Kuya Kuya is a male Philippines Kuya is offline
Therein, they're in there in their inn.
Steam ID: cereal_bawks Wii U ID: Cereal_Bawks 3DS ID: 0989-1785-1204

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eryth
View Posts: 8,355
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by title
What if they decide to go back to Buttom Controls?
I don't give a crap if it seems like that would be a step back, button controls are still #1 no matter how good the motion controls were for SS.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Deku Tree Guy Deku Tree Guy is a male Canada Deku Tree Guy is offline
Behind_The_Deku_Tree
Send a message via Skype™ to Deku Tree Guy
Join Date: May 2011
Location: under your bed
View Posts: 1,238
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

Then it would be a step back. OoT is awesome, but its combat seems lame after playing SS.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Kuya Kuya is a male Philippines Kuya is offline
Therein, they're in there in their inn.
Steam ID: cereal_bawks Wii U ID: Cereal_Bawks 3DS ID: 0989-1785-1204

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eryth
View Posts: 8,355
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

TP's combat was better, though.
__________________
Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Aenglaan, Panda Bear
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Bill Bill is a male United States Bill is offline
Am I the only person ____?
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
View Posts: 10,564
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

Aonuma has said that he feels they cannot go back to button controls for the sword combat and I agree with him. I'm also against giving the player an option to choose between buttons and motion control. Options are for appropriate for the trivial aspects of a game, not its fundamental structure.
__________________

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Kuya Kuya is a male Philippines Kuya is offline
Therein, they're in there in their inn.
Steam ID: cereal_bawks Wii U ID: Cereal_Bawks 3DS ID: 0989-1785-1204

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eryth
View Posts: 8,355
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

But how are they even going to implement motion controls for the Wii U? Are you suppose to move the tablet up and down or something? They better find a way to make it work.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Bill Bill is a male United States Bill is offline
Am I the only person ____?
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
View Posts: 10,564
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

Doesn't make sense to me either. I do not have the slightest clue what they're planning for that tablet.
__________________

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
Last Edited by Bill; 01-13-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 04:50 PM
pawptart pawptart is a male United States pawptart is offline
I'm going to find out if I'm really alive
Steam ID: pawptart
Join Date: Aug 2011
View Posts: 2,516
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Aonuma has said that he feels they cannot go back to button controls for the sword combat and I agree with him. I'm also against giving the player an option to choose between buttons and motion control. Options are for appropriate for the trivial aspects of a game, not its fundamental structure.
I'm going to go ahead and reiterate for about the 20th time that anything accomplished in Skyward Sword using the motion controls could be mapped to a relatively simple Control Stick + B button setup, much like the, oh, 4 or so console Zeldas that came before it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with and no reason to be against including options for a play style that for some might be more accessible than motion controls.
Last Edited by pawptart; 01-13-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 05:15 PM
KingOfHeart KingOfHeart is offline
King Of Hyrule
Join Date: Dec 2005
View Posts: 3,273
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

The Wii U will probably work like the DS and have you tap things on the screen which would stink.
You'll probably use the tablet to look around or see hidden objects at most.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Lanayru_ Lanayru_ is a male United States Lanayru_ is offline
Guardian Dragon
Send a message via AIM to Lanayru_ Send a message via Yahoo to Lanayru_
Steam ID: aeternus_aura
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
View Posts: 2,088
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

Quote:
I'm going to go ahead and reiterate for about the 20th time that anything accomplished in Skyward Sword using the motion controls could be mapped to a relatively simple Control Stick + B button setup, much like the, oh, 4 or so console Zeldas that came before it.
You couldn't slice in 8 directions, or at least it would be pretty difficult.

Let's pretend you were using the Gamecube controller. If you use the direction of the C-stick to determine which slash you wanted to use, it would be either awkward or impossible to press B at the same time. If you use the left control stick, then you wind up confusing the player, if it's even at all feasible. Is the left control stick supposed to control movement or sword strikes? You have to pick one or the other.

If you have the Wii controller, you're essentially going back to Twilight Princess controls. I know some people prefer that (and I don't know why), but Nintendo would never go back to them because compared to Skyward Sword, TP's Wii controls are archaic and restrictive. Skyward Sword's motion controls give you more options, and any game developer isn't going to want to go backwards.
__________________
Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Bill, Johnny Sokko
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Bill Bill is a male United States Bill is offline
Am I the only person ____?
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
View Posts: 10,564
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut Man View Post
I'm going to go ahead and reiterate for about the 20th time that anything accomplished in Skyward Sword using the motion controls could be mapped to a relatively simple Control Stick + B button setup, much like the, oh, 4 or so console Zeldas that came before it.
It wouldn't be simple at all. SS allows you to move your sword without actually swinging it. I think this enhances the sense of immersion, but it's not totally irrelevant from a game play perspective either. Of course you have the little puzzle with the spinning eyes, but it also figured into the Ghirahim sword fights.

To translate that to button controls, at the very least you'd need a second stick, which the Wii doesn't have. Even if it did, it'd be terribly cumbersome and unintuitive, if not outright impossible. Then you're going to need another button for the skyward strike. You're also going to need another button to roll a bomb. You'll also need dual sticks to aim your bow and move simultaneously as in Wind Waker. What a regression that would be.

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with and no reason to be against including options for a play style that for some might be more accessible than motion controls.
Aside from being a cumbersome mess, to not play Skyward Sword with the motion controls would be missing a big point of the game. I'm glad they didn't include button controls for the same reason I'm glad they didn't let you control Link with the Dpad in Ocarina of Time. More options are not always necessary or better.
__________________

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
Last Edited by Bill; 01-13-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
3 people liked this post: 1984, Deku Tree Guy, Johnny Sokko
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Kuya Kuya is a male Philippines Kuya is offline
Therein, they're in there in their inn.
Steam ID: cereal_bawks Wii U ID: Cereal_Bawks 3DS ID: 0989-1785-1204

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eryth
View Posts: 8,355
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Aside from being a cumbersome mess, to not play Skyward Sword with the motion controls would be missing a big point of the game. I'm glad they didn't include button controls for the same reason I'm glad they didn't let you control Link with the Dpad in Ocarina of Time. More options are not always necessary or better.
No, it isn't the same. Motion control in SS is, like you said, a huge point in the game, while moving Link with the circle pad or D-pad in OoT3D isn't really a big point at all.

And unless motion control is a big point in the Wii U Zelda, I don't see why an option to turn of motion control would be a bad thing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Bill Bill is a male United States Bill is offline
Am I the only person ____?
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
View Posts: 10,564
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Bawks View Post
No, it isn't the same. Motion control in SS is, like you said, a huge point in the game, while moving Link with the circle pad or D-pad in OoT3D isn't really a big point at all.
I'm not understanding your point. That you should be able to turn off the motion controls because it's a big part of the game? I doubt that's what you actually mean but I can't tell.
__________________

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
Last Edited by Bill; 01-13-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Kuya Kuya is a male Philippines Kuya is offline
Therein, they're in there in their inn.
Steam ID: cereal_bawks Wii U ID: Cereal_Bawks 3DS ID: 0989-1785-1204

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eryth
View Posts: 8,355
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

You said that it would be stupid to turn off motion controls in SS right? And that having the option to turn off motion controls would be the same thing as having the option to play OoT3D with the D-pad.

What I'm saying is that they are not the same thing at all, since the motion controls in SS are basically the main part of the game. So because of that, it would be stupid to have the option to turn off the motion controls. However, if you had the ability to choose if you want to use the D-pad to control Link or use the circle pad, it wouldn't be stupid at all since that isn't even the main part of the game anyway.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Bill Bill is a male United States Bill is offline
Am I the only person ____?
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
View Posts: 10,564
Re: What if they decide to go back to Button Controls?

Oh okay. I think what threw me off is that you started your post with "no," but still agreed with me on the main point--that motion controls should not be optional.

My point on Ocarina of Time was this: you can play that game with a Dpad. It might not be ideal, but there's nothing magical about an analog stick. Nintendo could have given you the option to use the Dpad and L instead of the analog stick and Z, but they didn't. Why? Because it'd be stupid. A big draw of Ocarina of Time when it first came out was that it was 3D Zelda, and the analog stick complemented that (even if it was strictly necessary). Skyward Sword's motion control is more integral to the experience than the analog stick in Ocarina of Time. What I mean by that is that you would lose more of the experience in playing SS with buttons than OoT with a dpad.
__________________

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Johnny Sokko
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 AM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -