$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 9,287
Re: A Remake of the Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslieb1 View Post
Ah, but then it's not exactly the same game anymore, is it?
Well the one time they released the exact same game(OOT 3D) people complained.

I think they would have to tweak it just to bring it up to current series standards.
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2012, 10:05 PM
HappyGilmore HappyGilmore is a male United States HappyGilmore is offline
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 106

I was thinking 2.5d - 2d, Like I said in the OP they did the same thing with the original MMX, and it was pretty much like the original except with good bonuses and not MAJOR updates, but small tweaks that made the game better and helped introduce it to the new generation.

Final Verdict? If Capcom can do it, so can Nintendo

P.S. @langford It is very un-Nintendoish, but they could do somthing similar
to what Capcom did, where on completion of the story, you unlocked a OVA
explaining the origins of Sigma, they could do somthing similiar to that ,but it would be hard.

'But, the future refused to change.....'-Bad ending Chrono Trigger
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2012, 11:09 PM
LuminaForce37 LuminaForce37 is a male United States LuminaForce37 is offline
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 338

I think it would be interesting take if they did a sort of Wind Waker Graphic style and made everything like, a direct translation. Barely anything changed, other than being rendered in a 3d world.
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Mogma
View Posts: 190

Bs Legend of Zelda map 1 and map 2 are in a way remakes of Loz quest 1 and quest 2 released for the Super Nes it basically got the Super Mario All Stars treatment with regards to the graphics department

A remake of the original!??? I rather see them release an extension edition With graphics intact from the original game where after you beat both quests you're given more Quests to play through and each dungeon has yet a new layout and the items are rearranged with every new quest you play through just like they did with Quest 2....

Release it for WiiWare

AOL could get the same treatment give it more Quests after beating the first game....

Capcom did it with Mega Man 9 & 10
Last Edited by gamer of time; 01-22-2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-22-2012, 11:42 PM
is an alien!
View Posts: 931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_AngeaL View Post
Rather than Remaking the game, Ive wanted to play it but have never gotten the chance. Id like to see them litterally just slap it on the shelves again for one of our current systems, im sure it wouldnt take much time to change what system its for and it would sell great most likely.
Well, you can play it on the Wii when you buy from the Virtual Console.

As for the topic, yeah, I'd like a remake. Just don't add too much that wasn't originally in the game or it could end up feeling more like a new game than a remake.
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 12:15 AM
Mogma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
Well, you can play it on the Wii when you buy from the Virtual Console.

As for the topic, yeah, I'd like a remake. Just don't add too much that wasn't originally in the game or it could end up feeling more like a new game than a remake.
yeah I own Zelda 1,2 and 3...But for owners who want an extension of the basic game it would be a treat and as for a remake and if it's in 2D then fine a 3d remake I'm not too sure but I'm sure it would be good nevertheless
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Zora Warrior
Send a message via AIM to kymeric
View Posts: 319

If they remade zelda 1 and 2 with a 3d engine it wouldnt be anything like the originals apart from the story.

The NES games only had story material in their instruction book really. Little dialogue in-game. Little goal other than rescue the princess.
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Cayenne Pepper Cayenne Pepper is a female United States Cayenne Pepper is offline
en de'ez ia! "Murica
View Posts: 4,246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Legend View Post
I personally would prefer it if Nintendo would work more on brand new Zelda games rather than going back and remastering the old Zelda games.

I have never played the very first Zelda game, so I don't know if a remake would be important or not.
They have multiple teams working on different Zelda games. It wouldn't take much for them to remake a 2D game and make a 3D one as well.

3DS FC
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Hero of Koridai
View Posts: 640

It wouldn't be for the purpose of being the same game, it would be a plot remake.
Last Edited by Spoon Link; 01-24-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 09:50 PM
is an alien!
View Posts: 931

If they remake it, it needs to be in 2D in the same way the original is, but with updated, HD graphics, like Square did with the Final Fantasy IV PSP Remake. It was still in it's original 2D style, yet it still looked amazing.
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Meow
View Posts: 225

i think that would be cool but i'm afraid that they would change stuff.

-Banner by Sol-
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 11:29 PM
LuminaForce37 LuminaForce37 is a male United States LuminaForce37 is offline
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 338

Woah woah woah. Epiphany!

I think it would be crazy awesome if they COMBINED LoZ with AoL and created a game that, after beating Ganon in Southern Hyrule, it segues directly into Adventure of Link. Updated graphics, gameplay, but still essentially the same game, with twists here and there to keep you on your toes, kind of like Resident Evil Remake on the Gamecube.
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Send a message via Skype™ to Coconut Water

View Posts: 35,494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Legend View Post

I personally would prefer it if Nintendo would work more on brand new Zelda games rather than going back and remastering the old Zelda games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore View Post
Not as a project for the main crew, but for say the DS crew to work on, with updated graphics and added bonuses like a art gallery

I don't see how everyone finds this such a difficult concept. You can do both at once, you know.
Last Edited by Coconut Water; 01-24-2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-25-2012, 12:03 AM
???????????
View Posts: 1,387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne Pepper View Post
They have multiple teams working on different Zelda games. It wouldn't take much for them to remake a 2D game and make a 3D one as well.
The problem isn't the time spent remaking the game. But the perception that Nintendo is relying on remakes to make sales. Even if this remake would be completely different that the original LoZ, people would deny it's originality and label it a remake. Nintendo lost some serious brownie points for relying on two remakes to be a major driving force for the 3DS system before the 2011 holidays.

Nintendo will be perceived as being a lazy by selling remakes of older games to make money. No matter how many times they remind us that they are making a separate, original game. The general population, which doesn't follow Nintendo news, will not get the message and judge Nintendo upon first sight. Just look at how horribly and ignorantly Skyward Sword has been judged by millions for being a Wii game, being a Zelda game, and for its graphics. They completely denied all the innovation the game has had to offer.

Nintendo has to get the first impression right and commercially profiting off of a remake of a 25 year old game by updating its graphics isn't necessarily helpful for their reputation.

Now if Nintendo completely revamps LoZ (such as making it a 3D experience instead of a 2D one) , so that it isn't even similar to the original game. Then what is the point of labeling it as a remake? Just make it an original title, and give it its own original story.
Last Edited by Primus; 01-25-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Cayenne Pepper Cayenne Pepper is a female United States Cayenne Pepper is offline
en de'ez ia! "Murica
View Posts: 4,246

I never said in 3D. Just better graphics, slightly updated gameplay, items and timeline connections. I'm not talking about changing it so drastically that it might as well be a new game, I'm talking about keeping the core mechanics, but updating them so that they stand up better against more recent games.

Keeping the original fun and adding something new to it without destroying the original nostalgia. Like how they did with HG/SS.

And people are gonna ♣♣♣♣♣. That's one of the reasons the forums is here. People wanted the timeline, and now they ♣♣♣♣♣ about the onethey didn't get but wanted.

And as for first impressions, all Zeldas make good first impressions. Hell, I was excited as ♥♥♥♥ to play ST at first. I hate that game with extreme prejudice now. Just having the Zelda name with give a good first impression.

3DS FC
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-25-2012, 09:54 AM
SeriousDiscussion
View Posts: 24,034

For lack of a better, longer and more detailed post, as long as it's the same overhaul level of Metroid: Zero Mission then I'm happy.

OoT3D was a mediocre remaster at best. As a remake, it's very poor.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

That said, I think they've now made SS the "definitive first" Zelda game to date, and should (and I expect will) simply focus on new games.
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 PM
???????????
View Posts: 1,387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne Pepper View Post
I never said in 3D. Just better graphics, slightly updated gameplay, items and timeline connections. I'm not talking about changing it so drastically that it might as well be a new game, I'm talking about keeping the core mechanics, but updating them so that they stand up better against more recent games.

Keeping the original fun and adding something new to it without destroying the original nostalgia. Like how they did with HG/SS.

And people are gonna ♣♣♣♣♣. That's one of the reasons the forums is here. People wanted the timeline, and now they ♣♣♣♣♣ about the onethey didn't get but wanted.

And as for first impressions, all Zeldas make good first impressions. Hell, I was excited as ♥♥♥♥ to play ST at first. I hate that game with extreme prejudice now. Just having the Zelda name with give a good first impression.
Remaking Pokemon games is completely different. HG/SS adding a plethora of new things to do, pokemon to catch, and battles to fight. Not to mention it made an older game accessible to a newer generation while allowing connectivity with Gen4 pokemon.

A remake of the Original LoZ would be a graphical update at its best. Add things? Like what? The game has no towns, and very few NPCs. Updated gameplay? Once again what can they update? Incorporate the touchscreen, but thats about it. New items? Why not just add that to a new game? Timeline connections? The game has no plot! And changing or adding on to the little plot that this game has will create a bigger backlash than when George Lucas changed the Star Wars dialogue.

Anything that can be added to LoZ to make it a formidable competitor against modern games still fits better on a new, original game. The original LoZ is a fairly simple game, there simply isn't enough to change without changing the core mechanics of the game.

Keep it as a game for the nostalgia fans. Nintendo should be able to make a game that can surpass the original.

Also on first impressions. I have read multitudes of articles which state how Nintendo can maintain it's momentum and success on the 3DS and let it spill-over to the WiiU. Nearly all of them said, less remakes. The LoZ games get a lot of ♥♥♥♥ for not being "original", more ♥♥♥♥ than it deserves, but remaking the first game of the series won't help.

Saying all Zeldas give a good impression is a false misconception. ST was received well because of the proper amount of hype given before hand, and many Zelda fans such as myself love the game. However hyping a remake of the first game of the series, will be difficult for a Zelda team, and it just isn't worth it.

Not to mention that the original Zelda is considered a ♥♥♥♥ty game by many of today's gamers because the game has no hand-holding at all.
Last Edited by Primus; 01-26-2012 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 PM
But Vegeta, Trix are for kids
View Posts: 979

If they made it into a 3D game, the yeah, but it would be a different game by then. I honestly don't care much for the original game so it would need some serious changes in order to get me to buy it, which means again that it would be altered too much to be considered the same game.
But never will

Wolf Pack Pride
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-26-2012, 01:59 AM
Mogma

I'm pretty confident many of you here given the proper development tools would create a Good Zelda game...Why doesn't Nintendo release a development kit for its older games as in this Topic create a Wii channel of Zelda customization channel or something where we the gamer can create a whole new experience from preexisting programs...Hey,There's already a Program ZeldaClassic which allows you to create your own variation of the original Zelda..But what if Nintendo themselves released a channel where we can create our Zelda 1 modifications and host them for others to play and enter them in tournaments and possibly get rewards for creating a stable mod of Zelda 1 and perhaps later other old school zeldas could receive this treatment...aol,lttp Customization Channel....This would justify old games being rereleased so many times with next to no additions....
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-26-2012, 03:20 AM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 121

Primus summed it up pretty well. If you change too much you might as well be making a new Zelda game. On the other hand, they could simply retcon it, but that itself sounds like a dangerous option.

Maybe they should create a new grid-based Zelda in the fashion of the NES and Game Boy games instead. Two new titles released as a pair in the style of the Oracles seems like a good idea. I don't see a problem with packaging an updated version of the original with a new game, though.

I would also like to bring up other successful remakes, namely Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary Edition for PSP, Metroid Zero Mission for GBA, and Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland!, also for GBA. All of those were remakes of NES games, and while I never played the latter two, I did watch my brother play the first, and they definitely improved over the original version, though it wasn't the first remake of that game either.

Some ways they could improve over the original Zelda would include:

-Replacing a lot of the caves with actual buildings so the game doesn't look like it's set in a post-apocalyptic Hyrule.
-Maybe reworking some of the overworld "rooms" into a castle to bring the map closer to what you see in ALttP
-Adding music for things like shops and boss battles
-New bonus dungeons that grant you additional items, perhaps taken from other games in the series
-Rewritten dialogue to make the game's hints much easier to understand.