Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 03:49 PM
MajorasWrath1 MajorasWrath1 is a male United States MajorasWrath1 is offline
Sage of Shadows
Send a message via ICQ to MajorasWrath1 Send a message via AIM to MajorasWrath1 Send a message via Yahoo to MajorasWrath1 Send a message via Skype™ to MajorasWrath1
View Posts: 1,934
Enough with the science fiction

Personally I am getting really tired of science fiction and robots creeping into zelda games as of late. All the warp technology in TP was annoying enough but the robots EVERYWHERE in SS have crossed the line. Even your own partner is a "synthetic life form" as she calls them. If I wanted to play a game with robots and sci fi I would not have bought a zelda game. Anyone else agree, or do you not mind them?
2 people liked this post: Bees n' Bats, Janus
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 03:52 PM
A citizen of the world, known to all and to all a stranger
View Posts: 4,184
Re: Enough with the science fiction

What "warp technology"? TP had warp magic.

Also, Clarke's 3rd law.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 03:54 PM
I AM THE WALRUS
View Posts: 577

I haven't gotten so far into the game that robots have appeared but I don't like Fi because she doesn't feel like a person, she feels like a robot without emotions. The way she acts, talks, I just hate it.
1 person liked this post: MajorasWrath1
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 9,390

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorasWrath1 View Post
Personally I am getting really tired of science fiction and robots creeping into zelda games as of late. All the warp technology in TP was annoying enough but the robots EVERYWHERE in SS have crossed the line. Even your own partner is a "synthetic life form" as she calls them. If I wanted to play a game with robots and sci fi I would not have bought a zelda game. Anyone else agree, or do you not mind them?
I find it funny that you're mad about this when your user name is a reference to Majora's Mask.

Now explain, why is this such an issue? The clawshots seem pretty advanced but no one complains about them.

Also who cares if she's a synthetic lifeform? Golems are synthetic by definition but they're considered an acceptable enemy to have in a fantasy land. Why should robots that are explicitly magical be any different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull_Kid View Post
I haven't gotten so far into the game that robots have appeared but I don't like Fi because she doesn't feel like a person, she feels like a robot without emotions. The way she acts, talks, I just hate it.
She is a robot without emotions.
Last Edited by Kostya; 12-11-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 04:09 PM
MajorasWrath1 MajorasWrath1 is a male United States MajorasWrath1 is offline
Sage of Shadows
Send a message via ICQ to MajorasWrath1 Send a message via AIM to MajorasWrath1 Send a message via Yahoo to MajorasWrath1 Send a message via Skype™ to MajorasWrath1
View Posts: 1,934

Because beings created through magic are inherently different than beings created through futuristic technology.

Items like clawshots aren't what I'm referring to, I'm mostly talking about large-scale futuristic civilizations with warp technologies, levitation, and other technologies that aren't even around in the present-day real world. People already complained about the trains in SS, because the whole idea of a zelda game is a medieval-styled fantasy world without present day machines, guns, etc.

Also, there is little to no science fiction in Majora's Mask so I'm not sure what you're referring to

Quote:
I completely agree
Last Edited by MajorasWrath1; 12-11-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Eyegore Lynel Poe Eyegore Lynel Poe is a male United States Eyegore Lynel Poe is offline
The name critics are raven about
Send a message via Skype™ to Eyegore Lynel Poe
Wii U ID: CaughtCatch
View Posts: 1,629

I was expecting to agree with OP about the robots, but the robots in this game aren't even really all that robot-like. Skipper's crew and the ones working in the mines are all really colorful, aren't really all that mechanical, and they don't even look like they're made of metal.

Scervo looks more stereotypical robot, sure. But who doesn't like robot pirates?
Quote:
Because beings created through magic are inherently difference than beings created through futuristic technology.
We never find out who made the robots. For all we know, the Goddess could have. Afterall, they're represented along with the other races in the opening.

Quote:
Also, there is little to no science fiction in Majora's Mask so I'm not sure what you're referring to
There's a rocket ship.
Last Edited by Eyegore Lynel Poe; 12-11-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Seen, Soli
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Royal Hylian
View Posts: 944

While I think that it felt a little out of place, I think that they did this for gameplay purposes. This kind of environment allowed for some amazingly creative and fun game design, and because of that I'll accept it with open arms. However, I would like it if they could somehow try to fit their ideas to magic based "technology" than highly futuristic science-fiction. I don't really mind it that much, though.
Last Edited by Soli; 12-11-2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Because beings created through magic are inherently different than beings created through futuristic technology.

Items like clawshots aren't what I'm referring to, I'm mostly talking about large-scale futuristic civilizations with warp technologies, levitation, and other technologies that aren't even around in the present-day real world. People already complained about the trains in SS, because the whole idea of a zelda game is a medieval-styled fantasy world without present day machines, guns, etc.

I completely agree
Yes, and Fi is a being made by the Goddess which means she's likely magic even if she behaves similar to a robot.

Okay most forms of magic allow teleportation, levitation, and such. Now how exactly do you draw the line between magic and science in a universe where things like this are possible?

Really the train thing is just stupid. ST takes place 100 years after PH. It did not take nearly that long for people to make steam trains once they harnessed steam power which they were explicitly shown to have in Linebeck's ship.

The entirety of the Great Bay temple, rocket ship schematics, and cameras don't ring a bell?
3 people liked this post: 1984, Seen, Soli
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Daccus Illuminatus Misericors
Steam ID: nikohesus
View Posts: 6,436

I consider Zelda to be a steampunk and fantasy game, it makes for very interesting gameplay elements, it's not a generic medieval universe.
1 person liked this post: Darth_Ghirahim
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Goron
View Posts: 233

I disagree, but mostly since i just HATE medieval universes with a passion, which is why i only became a Zelda fan with MM and later games, when they started to get away from all this.

Zelda was a medieval game until OOT, but it's been a long time since that. Now it's really a parallel world on its own, which still is a bit medieval, but not only that, it is a mix of a lot of different western and eastern eras.
Majora's Mask was the game this started, people had cameras, what looked like electricity (this was finally called electricity in SS ) , and a much more modern/Advanced civilisation than in OOT.

And now, i have to say i really like the idea that the master sword (and many other magical things from earlier game) are in fact leftover supercomputers/supertech from the old civilisation, technology so Advanced it looks like magic to Hyrule's people.

I've never found the Zelda world this fascinating before.

SS-TMC-FS(Backstory)-OOT
Child timeline : MM-TP-LOZ-AOL-FS(Game)-FSA-ALTTP-LA-OS
Adult timeline: TWW-PH-ST
Last Edited by flobo; 12-11-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 05:01 PM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist
View Posts: 8,872

The further Zelda gets from generic medieval fantasy the better. I don't care what its label is so long as the universe continues to get more and more unique.
Last Edited by TheGhostOfMandrag; 12-11-2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,800

I don't want "generic medieval" but I would like the next game to feel more... medieval. Skyward Sword was awesome, and I don't even mind the electricity/machines thing (in a world where there are flying electric jelly-fish and chu chus, I don't think it would take long for people to start using electricity...). I like the idea of an ancient civilization with advanced technology, though I wish it wasn't a civilization of robots.... they should have made them a biological race that created some robots (ancestors of the Gerudo would have been nice, if the humans hadn't all been taken up to Skyloft).... Buuuuuut, I still would like to have a medieval based game again, of course with the typical Zelda flare. That in my opinion would feel refreshing, haha
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Red
View Posts: 851

Quote:
Hylia designed her to be that way, so deal with it. She was written to be a robotic-esque character, it's not like she lacks any personality she wasn't purposely written to be like that. Also, watch the ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhostOfMandrag View Post
The further Zelda gets from generic medieval fantasy the better. I don't care what its label is so long as the universe continues to get more and more unique.
My thoughts exactly. Medieval is getting a bit boring.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 05:38 PM
MrBaconsock, Totakeke
View Posts: 2,546

Quote:
What about the aliens who abduct the cows from the ranch and take off in their ufo?
2 people liked this post: Darth_Ghirahim, Eriks0n
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,800

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL-Ghirahim View Post
My thoughts exactly. Medieval is getting a bit boring.
Generic medieval, yeah, but magical Zelda medieval? Not a chance! Zelda medieval would be more like Lord of the Rings (think books not necessarily movies), but with more fairytale-like magic and Japanese spirit.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totakeke View Post
What about the aliens who abduct the cows from the ranch and take off in their ufo?
That too.

How the heck did I forget that?
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 05:53 PM
'Im just me, being me'
View Posts: 721

I dont mind robots in this style, ancient robots that probably have there origins in magic anyways. Mystically old magical stuff, not overly sci-fi.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Behind_The_Deku_Tree
Send a message via Skype™ to Deku Tree Guy
View Posts: 1,238

Didn't Majora's Mask have a camera?
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 06:59 PM
'Im just me, being me'
View Posts: 721

^
Yeah the picto box, WW had one too
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Queen of Airheads

View Posts: 1,484

^^Yep, and you could erase and re-take the picture over and over. And TWW's camera could take three pictures over and over, even in colour. They're digital cameras with very small memory cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostya View Post
Okay most forms of magic allow teleportation, levitation, and such. Now how exactly do you draw the line between magic and science in a universe where things like this are possible?
"Your ancestors called it magic, but you call it science. I come from a land where they're one and the same."
...yes, I quoted the Thor movie to agree with you. But yeah, where's that fine line between magic and science? Or is what we call magic just science we don't understand yet? Or is all of it really magic that only looks like science to us because we don't actually have magic? If I could use magic, I just might create cool little robot dudes too.

The robots and the whole area made me think about Ancient Aliens and other theories like that. What is all this, where did it come from and why did it die? A really advanced ancient civilization and all this cool sciency stuff? I loved it though. At some point I had some trouble accepting why we've never heard of such things in Hyrule before, but then again, if they kept restricting themselves to themes we've seen before we'd never get anything new. People sometimes complain how "there's always a forest, a volcano and a lake in Zelda, oh how predictable." Well, now there's robots and timeshift stones and stuff, we haven't seen that before, and wasn't that just awesome?
Last Edited by Meralia; 12-11-2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote