Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#401 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 05:35 AM
MrBaconsock, Totakeke
View Posts: 2,502
Re: Skyward Sword General Discussion V.2

If they are going to have cinematic cutscenes that are anywhere near to what they were like in TP, then I want English acting. having gibberish voice acting will still require me to read subtitles, and I HATE having to read subtitles in movies.

I would also hate having to imagine what the characters sound like while I'm watching a movie.
  #402 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 05:48 AM
It's like watching two monkeys at the puberty zoo.

View Posts: 24,752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I prefer to use my imagination when I'm playing a game. I don't want to be told "how it is" by the devs, and VA is one of the ways in which that is done.
Maybe there could be an option to turn it on or off? I can see how it might get annoying.
  #403 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 05:50 AM
Hazz
View Posts: 4,820

I think voice acted gibberish worked well in Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.
  #404 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 05:57 AM
lou you le
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
View Posts: 13,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panique View Post
Maybe there could be an option to turn it on or off? I can see how it might get annoying.
Obviously this is the best way to go. But if Nintendo plan on playing "artist" rather than "entertainer", I wouldn't count on it.

What does Double A really want? || "An awesome companion" || Bored?
Quote:
[8:29:31 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: so I ran away cos 40 year old women are not attractive
[8:29:40 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: but it was a dream so I couldnt run
  #405 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 06:01 AM
#firstworldproblems

View Posts: 5,908

Gibberish reminds me of Banjo-Kazooie:

Gorgeous on the N64, but I'd absolutely hate every character speaking in gibberish throughout the SS game.
  #406 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Super Mecha Death Christ
Send a message via Skype™ to Melpomene

View Posts: 11,873

I'd rather have english speaking people than gibberish. I think it could work. I have a feeling though it will be classic subtitled stuff. Sometihng just gives me that feeling.

I really want to see a town or some form of life.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノRaise your dongersヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
  #407 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 06:06 AM
lou you le
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
View Posts: 13,449

Not "nonsense" gibberish, "mysterious" gibberish.

Though having humanoid hylians talking like Midna might be a bit awkward...

In other news, watching the Gametrailers Skyloft Demo gets me more and more excited every time.

What does Double A really want? || "An awesome companion" || Bored?
Quote:
[8:29:31 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: so I ran away cos 40 year old women are not attractive
[8:29:40 p.m.] Rhiannosaurus Rex: but it was a dream so I couldnt run
  #408 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 06:10 AM
Queen of Airheads

View Posts: 1,465

We don't dub movies here, so I'm used to subtitles. Though as soon as I learned English they started bugging me. They're unnecessary (to me) and in the way... They break the illusion. Especially if there's a black screen and someone's talking, big white letters when there's supposed to be nothing, it's annoying. In 3D movies, though they try to put the text in places where they'd be the least trouble, still, the picture moves and the words don't, it breaks the illusion. Thankfully DVDs have a no subtitles option.

In games, there's a well constructed scene, things in motion and you fall into the world... until a text box pushes you out again and makes you concentrate on something else. In worst cases the text makes that annoying noise while it writes itself there. At least remove that, please.

I was against voice acting until TP came and I started thinking how much more whole the cutscenes would be with voices. I simply don't see any reason to not include it anymore, optionally at least. Except that localizing would take even longer and the voices could be terrible, but... I'm dreaming about good voice acting here, not just voice acting.

I am very aware of the unlikeliness of voice acting in Zelda, Miyamoto seems to still be dead set against it. And that's fine, I won't hate the games if they keep them silent. I like Fire Emblem too, and those games are nothing but huge amounts of text. But at least they have (the few) cutscenes with voices. Could we at least have that?
  #409 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 06:55 AM
something
View Posts: 2,419

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGNIS View Post
Gibberish reminds me of Banjo-Kazooie:

Gorgeous on the N64, but I'd absolutely hate every character speaking in gibberish throughout the SS game.
I LOVE YOU! for mentioning Banjo Kazooie. Best games ever.
  #410 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Hylian
View Posts: 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
Hmm... carefully considering the reasons I've been against VA in Zelda... I guess I can approve of gibberish VA.
But it could get annoying fast!

I cannot stand sound effects when having text scroll, it get's entirely monotonous. Leave the silent text scrolling with the beautiful soundtrack thanks

Also, if there was V.O. english is fine, we don't speak italian, but we can watch movies set in italy with english actors. It's irrational to not apply this logic to games.

Lastly, I didn't think you could understand Hylian in the zelda games anyway? Hylian is an ancient language that isn't native anymore iirc? However, the native tongue SHOULD be english (or the release countries language) if they do V.O. for any characters who would otherwise have engish text.

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meralia View Post

I still vote for real voice acting though. I just think watching a scene and listening to it is more immersive.
I actually think animation is even more important. Twilight Princess has some good animation moments, but far better facial animations would be great. I like seeing expression, which is key to understanding anything particularly emotional over VA which can go pear shaped if it sucks.
Last Edited by Awakening; 06-17-2010 at 07:27 AM. Reason:
  #411 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Fabulous
View Posts: 1,893

I would be in favour of good voice acting. Most video game voice acting is crap though (some have good voice acting, like Valve games, but those are exceptional) and I'd be worried that Nintendo might try to hire English voice actors that sound like the Japanese ones, which would probably end very badly.
  #412 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Queen of Airheads

View Posts: 1,465

Yeah, there's a problem with localizing voice acting, Japan's and the western world's idea for women's voices especially seem to be very different from each other... They'd have to be careful with that. If they did suddenly announce there was going to be voice acting, I'd be happy, hopeful, and absolutely terrified. Though I think if Nintendo were to do such a big thing to something like Zelda, they'd put in the effort to do it properly.

Oh well, at least I have ZREO Battlescapes, that is if they finish the project someday. The few demos they have sound pretty good I think, for non-professional stuff anyway. Not sure about the dialogue, but it's just previews and demos so far so nevermind about that. I love their voice for Ganondorf
Last Edited by Meralia; 06-17-2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason:
  #413 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 335

Everybody speaking gibberish noises would be even worse(Hellllllo Okami).

Get with the times Nintendo, do some great voice acting, or just keep the story/cutscenes to a bare minimum.
  #414 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 358

I havn't seen this mentioned yet, but did anyone notice that when an enemy dies the smoke turns into a skull? I thought that was pretty cool.

Runs Completed

OoT, WW, TP
  #415 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Mrowwwww ^_^
View Posts: 1,796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maefreak View Post
I havn't seen this mentioned yet, but did anyone notice that when an enemy dies the smoke turns into a skull? I thought that was pretty cool.
I saw that, and I thought I imagined it, good thing I'm not seeing things. At least there isn't just the enemies going up in smoke, it looks cool to. Maybe they'll have different signs for different enemies, that'd be really cool.

Amazing sig by Kaylomaylo

[Facebook]
I love Nay <3
  #416 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 11:27 AM
MidnightAsaph MidnightAsaph is a male United States MidnightAsaph is offline
is mourning dead Wii
Send a message via AIM to MidnightAsaph
View Posts: 218

Voice acting...

I think it's one of those things that sound awful, but could get used to.
  #417 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Water Otter Water Otter is a female United States Water Otter is offline
It was real and I never knew it
View Posts: 1,854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meralia View Post
Yeah, there's a problem with localizing voice acting, Japan's and the western world's idea for women's voices especially seem to be very different from each other... They'd have to be careful with that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbu0McRmhzU
Case in point. Can anyone stand the Japanese clips?
But seriously if Nintendo were to add voice acting they should find actors who siut the character rather than just immitating the Japanese voice actors.

Pokemon games= For everyone
Pokemon Anime=For children
Pokemon manga= For Teens
Pokemon=For me
  #418 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 11:52 AM
• • • • •
Send a message via AIM to Rew
View Posts: 14,292

I think I might be the only Zelda fan who's utterly neutral with regard to voice acting in a Zelda game.

On the one hand, if they don't do it, that's fine with me. The lack thereof doesn't bother me in any of the other games (I don't really even notice it actually).

If they were to implement it, if they did a good job with it, then it could only enhance the game.

So I'm pretty much fine either way--so long as it's not implemented badly. I've seen games that are almost single-handedly ruined by voice acting because it's so terrible.

Signature and avatar set by the illustrious, if horny, Zarah Warah.
  #419 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Mrowwwww ^_^
View Posts: 1,796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
I think I might be the only Zelda fan who's utterly neutral with regard to voice acting in a Zelda game.

On the one hand, if they don't do it, that's fine with me. The lack thereof doesn't bother me in any of the other games (I don't really even notice it actually).

If they were to implement it, if they did a good job with it, then it could only enhance the game.

So I'm pretty much fine either way--so long as it's not implemented badly. I've seen games that are almost single-handedly ruined by voice acting because it's so terrible.
I feel about the same way. I wouldn't like voice acting, but if nintendo had good voice actors it could work out.

Amazing sig by Kaylomaylo

[Facebook]
I love Nay <3
  #420 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2010, 12:09 PM
♫ It's the end of the world as we know it! ♫
View Posts: 9,440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
I'm with you there.

The one thing I'm still 'eeeeeh' about is whether or not Link should talk... on the one hand, Link is becoming more and more of a real person, with a personality, and he needs to be able to talk to express himself... on the other hand, it's Link. He doesn't talk. He never talks.
Closed Thread

Tags
skyward sword, zwii