Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Kool-Aid Crisis Kool-Aid Crisis is a male United States Kool-Aid Crisis is offline
Gerudo Thief
Send a message via Yahoo to Kool-Aid Crisis
View Posts: 143
Zelda Wii - Online/Multiplayer

(Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, I couldn't find any threads related.)

Seems like Nintendo has finally started to embrace online gaming since the Wii, Id guess maybe about half the games for the system have some sort of online option, though that might be a bit generous.

Do you think the new Wii Zelda will utilize the online services, be it for trading items, mini-games or straight up co-op? Or do you see it perhaps using multiplayer co-op?

Personally, I can't really imagine much in the way of online play except, like I said, maybe mini-games or something. I could, however, totally see it becoming two player, atleast, with Link and Zelda teaming up to adventure together. It would definitely have to have a difficulty adjustment as it is already on the easy side. And as far as the story would have to go; for it to work I'd imagine it would have to be more of a direct continuation of a game like TP, where Link has already met Zelda and you pick up from there, as opposed to being a young boy starting his journey from a small village.

After playing Smash Bros. you know you wished you could play Zelda too!
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Silver Lining Silver Lining is a male United States Silver Lining is offline
Excelsior.
View Posts: 3,155
Re: Zelda Wii - Online/Multiplayer

I highly doubt Nintendo would put online multiplayer in a Zelda game. Heck, they didn't even put it in a game that was perfect for it: New Super Mario Bros. Wii. As for regular, multiplayer, maybe. It could be like Super Mario Galaxy where one player just helps out the main player in some way.

The problem with creating a game based around co-op is that if a person prefers solo gaming, like me, its an annoyance to have the computer play as the other character, which, in this case, would be Zelda. Resident Evil 5 would have been so much better for me if Sheva wouldn't get in my damn way all the time.

If there is going to be multiplayer in a console Zelda, I would prefer if Nintendo keep it really small and just like a "bonus" option. Making a whole Zelda based on Co-op is just a big no for people like me.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Kool-Aid Crisis Kool-Aid Crisis is a male United States Kool-Aid Crisis is offline
Gerudo Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoronWarrior25 View Post
I highly doubt Nintendo would put online multiplayer in a Zelda game. Heck, they didn't even put it in a game that was perfect for it: New Super Mario Bros. Wii. As for regular, multiplayer, maybe. It could be like Super Mario Galaxy where one player just helps out the main player in some way.

If there is going to be multiplayer in a console Zelda, I would prefer if Nintendo keep it really small and just like a "bonus" option. Making a whole Zelda based on Co-op is just a big no for people like me.
Oh yea, I agree. Co-op should only ever be optional, like Halo or Fable 2 or something.

What about multiplayer similar to first-person shooters where you have the story mode which is usually solo but there are multiplayer arenas where you can kill friends. I'd love to be able to smack some friends around with the ball and chain!
Last Edited by Kool-Aid Crisis; 11-28-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,424

I seriously doubt a co-op mode like NSMB Wii. However, something that I've always wished for, and still think possible, would be a sort of bonus Duel Mode. I was thinking that it would be a standard fight between two or more differently colored Links until only one survives. It could also follow the progress of the main game. By this I mean that all the players would have the same amount of hearts as the main single player Link and same items. Imagine, it'd be like a Dark Link duel, but with real people!

____________WW-PH--ST
____________/
SS--MC-FS--OoT--aLttP-OoX-LA--aLBW--LoZ-AoL
____________\
____________MM--TP--FSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
He had zero rocks. He had 0 rocks. That's as many as no rocks.
And that's terrible.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Excelsior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool-Aid Crisis View Post
Oh yea, I agree. Co-op should only ever be optional, like Halo or Fable 2 or something.

What about multiplayer similar to first-person shooters where you have the story mode which is usually solo but there are multiplayer arenas where you can kill friends. I'd love to be able to smack somefriends around with the ball and chain!
That would be interesting. As long as its completely seperate from the main game, that would be fine. "Hyrule Wars". That would be cool, lol.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Disaster Master
Send a message via Skype™ to Quin
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Qnez Wii U ID: Gunzelino 3DS ID: 4511-0457-1518
View Posts: 5,643

Another multiplayer mode like shadow battle would be nice.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Gerudo Thief

It could also bring alot of challenge to the game for the people that gripe about it being too easy lately. Nothing beats playing against another person.

And yea I actually pictured it with the different colored links like FSA. I call purple link!
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Excelsior.

Quote:
It could also bring alot of challenge to the game for the people that gripe about it being too easy lately. Nothing beats playing against another person.

And yea I actually pictured it with the different colored links like FSA. I call purple link!
We shouldn't have to play against other people just to make the game more difficult. Not in Zelda, at least.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2009, 09:33 PM
The one who is always thinkering
Send a message via Skype™ to Mr Dent
View Posts: 700

I don't think a battle mode would really work for zelda. The items are too powerful. The bomb and Chain would basically destroy everybody in the room.

What I think WOULD work would probably be a co-op game, or a bunch of randomly generated dungeons and everyone races to finish it first.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Gerudo Thief

Quote:
We shouldn't have to play against other people just to make the game more difficult. Not in Zelda, at least.
Agreed. It would give replayability though.

If there were more micromanaging elements, though. Or customizable housing, cities, etc... Like in WW with the Windfall Island shop statues. That could give incentive to continue playing after the initial story to do tasks/objectives to earn some sort of currencies other than rupees to trade for custom items. That could also make a handy device for incorporating online play, if nothing else than to trade these custom objects/currencies or whatever they may be.

These aren't original ideas, they've all been in other games. Im just thinking online play could give alot of replayability to the series. Any thoughts on that?
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2009, 09:39 PM
BigGoronSword BigGoronSword is a male Dominican Republic BigGoronSword is offline
RIP Robin Williams (8/11/14)
Send a message via AIM to BigGoronSword Send a message via Yahoo to BigGoronSword

View Posts: 11,257

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUFF2o View Post
By this I mean that all the players would have the same amount of hearts as the main single player Link and same items. Imagine, it'd be like a Dark Link duel, but with real people!
I just got a crazy idea when you said this:

What if there was a Cave of Ordeals, and only after you beat the 50 levels then can you go up against three (highly skilled) Dark Links (how many hearts, potions, fairies really depend on the skill you've proven in the past 50 levels to get you to this point)! And when you're the last standing Link, you get to proceed forward to get your reward: The ability to unlock your Friend Code and duel in tournaments online! This way you'll know that the people online aren't complete Zelda newbies. And at the tournament you can wager rupees and treasures (like the Hero's Crest, Golden Feathers, nothing crucially valueable like your hookshot or bomb bag).

-BGS

[ZeldaWiki][Forum Mods][Rules][ZUChat][Newbie Guide]
"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans"-Van Zant
Giving up means you're willing to live with how things are-BGS
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Excelsior.

Quote:
Agreed. It would give replayability though.

If there were more micromanaging elements, though. Or customizable housing, cities, etc... Like in WW with the Windfall Island shop statues. That could give incentive to continue playing after the initial story to do tasks/objectives to earn some sort of currencies other than rupees to trade for custom items. That could also make a handy device for incorporating online play, if nothing else than to trade these custom objects/currencies or whatever they may be.

These aren't original ideas, they've all been in other games. Im just thinking online play could give alot of replayability to the series. Any thoughts on that?
Now THATS something I'm all for. Unique "side" elements that incorporate online and multiplayer. Again, as long as it doesn't interfere with the actual main quest (like co-op), I'm fine with it.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Gerudo Thief

Quote:
Now THATS something I'm all for. Unique "side" elements that incorporate online and multiplayer. Again, as long as it doesn't interfere with the actual main quest (like co-op), I'm fine with it.
Lol my only worry is that they would take it too far and turn it into another crappy Animal Crossing game, "Come on, Tom Nook, let's go down to the river and catch fish then spend hours in your house rearranging furniture!" But I'm a sucker for customizability, be it in the characters(except for in Zelda) or environment.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Excelsior.

Quote:
Lol my only worry is that they would take it too far and turn it into another crappy Animal Crossing game, "Come on, Tom Nook, let's go down to the river and catch fish then spend hours in your house rearranging furniture!" But I'm a sucker for customizability, be it in the characters(except for in Zelda) or environment.
I certainly don't want the characters to be customizable in Zelda. That would be making Link an avatar, something which he is not. But a little customizability on the environment, say, owning certain buildings and decorating them with objects from your travels, would be fun. But, like you said, the can't go overboard with it! Zelda's not that type of game.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2009, 09:57 PM
These aren't the Droids you're looking for.
View Posts: 1,524

Quote:
Personally, I can't really imagine much in the way of online play except, like I said, maybe mini-games or something.
I think this is the only way it'd actually be effective but something tells me that it wouldn't match up with the type of game it'll be.

"OH LOOK AT ME I'M VICTOR AND I'M A GENIUS. OHHHH." -- Tess
"Vicky Z. You are my pokemon." -- Melpomene
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,424

It could be a standard sword duel with no items. Don't you ever get tired of enemies always being killed by shield>roll>back slice? I'd love to see a Stalfos/Dark Link/ Wolfos-esque battle system. If you fight against a human that way, they can develop strategies and maybe even combos!

____________WW-PH--ST
____________/
SS--MC-FS--OoT--aLttP-OoX-LA--aLBW--LoZ-AoL
____________\
____________MM--TP--FSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
He had zero rocks. He had 0 rocks. That's as many as no rocks.
And that's terrible.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-28-2009, 10:18 PM
There are no take-backsies in my kingdom.
Send a message via Skype™ to Jor-El

View Posts: 1,116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dent View Post

What I think WOULD work would probably be a co-op game, or a bunch of randomly generated dungeons and everyone races to finish it first.

omg that would be awesome!!! it could be like Cave of Ordeales (but not to long and hard) and it can be like 4 split screen and everyone races to the finish line, which could be like.. uhh.. the final boss...and then.. to the real finish line which cold be a fairy queen or something..
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-29-2009, 01:28 AM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,177

I think it's impossible to guess whether Zelda Wii will have Wi-Fi material or not yet. We haven't seen what the game's about, how it will play, or what it will even look like. Personally, I can't say for sure if I would even want it in the game due to such lack of information. I suppose this thread is doing well for possible multiplayer options discussion and speculation, however.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-29-2009, 01:40 AM
Zeldablue777 Zeldablue777 is a female United States Zeldablue777 is offline
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,851

I'd love some 2 player co-op. =3
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-29-2009, 03:27 AM
The "he" in Catastrophe
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
Wii U ID: 80espiay

View Posts: 14,331

Quote:
I highly doubt Nintendo would put online multiplayer in a Zelda game. Heck, they didn't even put it in a game that was perfect for it: New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
No, it wasn't.

A platformer like NSMBWii requires precision. The Wii can't deliver when it comes to that kind of precision, cuz of all the lag.

A co-op experience like NSMBWii requires a kind of teamwork that requires you to actually be with the person you're playing with. How are you going to co-ordinate your actions if you can't talk to the person you're playing with?

GoronWarrior: "WiiSpeak".

Double A: "Transmitting even more data online, wouldn't that make the first problem even worse?"

As for Zelda going online, I doubt it. It just doesn't fit the type of gameplay all true Zeldas strive for (yeah, I went there).

A Fedora || "Rex" || Bored? || PM me to join the Mario Kart 8/Smash Bros. Skype group

Tags
online or multiplayer, wii, zelda